Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you sell the object after buying it for the Buy an object goal?

In most Sims games, there are sometimes optional goals (Wants in TS2, Wishes in TS3, Whims in TS4) that ask you to buy an object. FreePlay also has some Weekly goals asking you to buy objects such as a Fridge or Couch but what I usually do is buy the cheapest object possible and then sell it especially if it's an object I don't need/want.

In FreePlay, this tactic is less effective since the object's sell price is divided by 10 (a §500 object will be sold for §50). In The Sims 2 and The Sims Stories only, selling an object after buying it causes you to lose Aspiration points and level. This probably might been an anti-cheating tactic which is funny since EA never implements anti-cheating measures in The Sims. However, they were forced to implement anti-cheating measures in The Sims 3 and The Sims 3 Pets for PS3/Xbox 360 possibly due to Sony and Microsoft requiring punishments (such as not earning Trophies and Achievements) for using cheats. As of The Sims 2 Console and The Sims 3, selling an object after buying it has no punishment.

On the Weekly goals that ask you to purchase an object, do you sell it right away after purchasing it?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    No I usually never sell anything - with the exception of horses when I have bought better ones. Instead I usually buy good things and put them into the inventory if I don't need them right now because I will often need them later. An example is microphones which several of my sims need to fulfill life dreams and my teen needs for the teen idol hobby. So when they can't be sold for a good price then I see no need to sell them at all.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    No, too much of a loss cost-wise. When I need to buy say, a table, I will pick one out that I will most likely use later. I will buy it, stick it on the lot to get through the task, then usually inventory it until I need it.
  • Options
    WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
    Also there's another related goal where the game asks you to change the lot's floors, walls, exterior walls, and roofs. A cheap way to complete that goal is use a lot that has no rooms, build the smallest room possible (1x2) and then change the appropriate item. This is useful if you don't want to alter your Sims' home's existing floors, walls, exterior walls, and roofs. Sure you can repurchase the floors, walls, exterior walls, and roofs that you previously had but it would cost you the same amount of Simoleons to get the original item back. Also the bigger the house, the more expensive the floors, walls, exterior walls, and roofs will cost.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    Also your town value goes down when you sell items.
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Nope, I learned the hard way not to sell items because chances are, you'll need that object to complete a task later on.
  • Options
    I see. I was referring to the Weekly Tasks that sometimes required you to purchase an item because the game tends to make you purchase an item that 90% of the time you most likely have, this isn't bad if you're going to upgrade the object (e.g., going from 2 star to 3 star) or you're purchasing it for another house but it can be somewhat annoying if you already have the object. The Buy a Computer task is probably worse since certain houses include a computer so there would be no reason to buy it unless you get the Have X Sims playing SimCity or a similar daily task

For this reason, I buy the cheapest item possible and then immediately sell it if I don't want it. Also if you may need it in the future, you could buy the best possible object and inventory it.
  • Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    I haven't had a buy a computer task for ages. But my preteens always use them to max their fun by reading emails. This is the fastest way for them to do it. The same is true for other age groups if they live on a houseboat where you can't have a garden and let them grow bell peppers.
  • Options
    I have to make a correction, you can actually build a 1x2 or 2x2 room in an existing lot and change the floors/walls. I do this when the Change Wallpaper or Flooring Weekly Task appears but you'll need an empty lot (or smallest house) if you're asked to change the Exterior Walls of Roofing.

Why I build a room or use an empty lot is to save money. The price is proportional to the size of the Room (Floors and Walls) or house (Exterior Walls and Roofing) so bigger houses/rooms will make changing Exterior Walls/Roofing or Floors/Walls more expensive than smaller sized rooms or houses. Also you are charged the same amount of Simoleons if you want to re-purcahse the original/previous Floors/Walls/Exterior Walls/Roofing which will be costly if you have a big room or house. Of course money won't be an issue if you're high leveled as I have about 1.8 million Simoleons.