Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Remember The Sims Online?

Banksy33Banksy33 Posts: 243 Member
edited March 2016 in The Sims (2000)
Hey Guys!
Remember The Sims Online? I remember when I was younger going to my local game store and always picking up the game to look and imagine playing it, The Sims has always been such a fun and creative game that has stuck with me this whole time!

I have a running series on Youtube called "What Happened To? Where we take a look at some of the most anticipated sandbox games that either never made release or just couldn't live up to the hype!

In the most recent episode we take a look at The Sim Online! We'll talk about some of the games features and what made it so enjoyable for many who got the chance to play also what happened to cause this hyped title to shutdown.

https://youtu.be/8XHrpxbnoJw

Hope you enjoy watching as much as I enjoyed making it! If you could like and comment on the video also check out the channel, subscribe and share with your friends it would really help me out in making more videos! :)

Thanks and happy simming :#
Post edited by Banksy33 on

Comments

• Options
    KurotardKurotard Posts: 380 Member
    I really wish the Sims Online would make a comeback...
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I never did try the sims online. Granted, I was not even 4 yet at the original sims release. As I was a full-blown sims addict by 6, it always looked interesting though.
  • Options
    cleo00 wrote: »
    I never did try the sims online. Granted, I was not even 4 yet at the original sims release. As I was a full-blown sims addict by 6, it always looked interesting though.

I feel the social aspect of the game got lost and most people focused on "winning" grinding out skills and trying to make money.. It would be so fun having the social interactions of the sims 4 with a open world like the sims 3 interacting with other players like the sims online.
    the dream game! haha
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    @Banksy33 that does sound like it'd be fun! All of my friends and family tease me about how sims is a "solitary" activity and I'm not being social enough with real people. That'd be so cool!
  • Options
    ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I've said this in other threads, but I just don't feel like Sims works as an online game. While interesting in concept, and although certain aspects of TSO were fun, it just descends too quickly into Second Life territory where the focus of the game becomes all about who's hot and who's popular. A new online Sims game would never really be a true simming experience. If you think TS4 cut corners just imagine how bad it would be in an online version.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    tinypeepz202tinypeepz202 Posts: 44 Member
    Wasn't TS4 originally meant to be an online game? It could've been the new TSO if EA hadn't scrapped it.
  • Options
    lexylongcatlexylongcat Posts: 72 Member
    It looked like a lot of fun, to be honest. The first Sims game had the right look and feel to be an online game. I guess the other games aren't really fitting to be an online game.
  • Options
    Wasn't TS4 originally meant to be an online game? It could've been the new TSO if EA hadn't scrapped it.

It was, but they changed direction mid-project due to the backlash over Simcity being online only, and because the vast majority of Sim players don't want the game to be online. It's one of the reasons why Sims 4 is missing features and has no world creation tools, they didn't have time to add those things to the game before the deadline.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    I never played the sims online, but the concept I thought was awesome, and different. I love classic Sims style games, don't get me wrong.. But, when they try something a little different (Sims online, Sims urbz) I really enjoy the different take on the game.
  • Options
    I never played the sims online, but the concept I thought was awesome, and different. I love classic Sims style games, don't get me wrong.. But, when they try something a little different (Sims online, Sims urbz) I really enjoy the different take on the game.

I totally agree! The Sims will always be special but trying new things and taking chances is a good thing! some of the best game play experiences come from random new ideas :)

I guess the idea of a dynamic changing world with the community creating events and hangouts would be such a cool feature. I say remove all the grinding skills and just have fun visiting friends building shops and venues for other players.. Without all the mayhem and ugly, miss matched custom content of Second Life.
    Maybe it can only work without The Sims title as people come to expect a solo type of gameplay and get so aggressive towards online play in the sims series. lol
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Banksy33 wrote: »

I totally agree! The Sims will always be special but trying new things and taking chances is a good thing! some of the best game play experiences come from random new ideas :)

I guess the idea of a dynamic changing world with the community creating events and hangouts would be such a cool feature. I say remove all the grinding skills and just have fun visiting friends building shops and venues for other players.. Without all the mayhem and ugly, miss matched custom content of Second Life.
    Maybe it can only work without The Sims title as people come to expect a solo type of gameplay and get so aggressive towards online play in the sims series. lol

See, I might enjoy such a game if it actually ended up that way, but whenever I think of Sims Online I just think of a bunch of people hanging out doing weird, overly sexualized roleplay. It's really nothing but a chatroom with avatars that can interact with things. That's basically all that happens on Second Life. Also, the reason why so many people are aggressively against an online Sims game is because they don't want it to replace the single player game style we are used to. As a stand alone game it could be ok....maybe. Just don't call it The Sims 5.
  • Options
    It looked like a lot of fun, to be honest. The first Sims game had the right look and feel to be an online game. I guess the other games aren't really fitting to be an online game.

The sprites used in The Sims 1 were really good quality, If only the AI and the outdated controls could be redone it would be amazing haha :D
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I played TSO for several years, up until twilight on EALand (boo). I absolutely LOVED the game and have such great memories of time spent meeting other simmers from all over the world and having so much fun. I miss it dearly.
  • Options
    aws200aws200 Posts: 2,262 Member
    So The Sims 1 multiplayer edition? Wasn't it criticized for that? Would be neat to have another spin off online game but at least try to do something different than just taking TS1 and making it a online multiplayer version. Never played it either. Wasn't until TS2 for PS2 came out did I know of The Sims and got into it. Hated the PC version because you couldn't control your Sims, it was point and click. I preferred controlling my Sims manually and interacting with the world around me from their perspective over the 'god mode' style the PC versions have.
    1. The Sims 2
    2. The Sims 3
    3. The Sims 4 (5 years later its decent)
    4. The Sims 1
  • Options
    aws200 wrote: »
    So The Sims 1 multiplayer edition? Wasn't it criticized for that? Would be neat to have another spin off online game but at least try to do something different than just taking TS1 and making it a online multiplayer version. Never played it either. Wasn't until TS2 for PS2 came out did I know of The Sims and got into it. Hated the PC version because you couldn't control your Sims, it was point and click. I preferred controlling my Sims manually and interacting with the world around me from their perspective over the 'god mode' style the PC versions have.

I loved The Sims on ps2 haha. I agree it was such a cool feature being able to directly control your sims and interact with their surroundings. :)
  • Options
    GodlikeGodlike Posts: 305 Member

Played a fair bit of it when it became EA Land it had hints of what would later become Open For Business because you could from what I remember run your own store and everything.

I for one would love to replay TSO in its full glory sometime!
    Lift me up - Let me go
  • Options
    DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    edited March 2016
    @Banksy33 I saw your SimsVille video as well and really wish they would release an updated version, I think they still Play SimsVille, I wish I could play it!

Here is my Discussion on SimsVille share your thoughts, but beware you would be the first commenter

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/880180/simsville
  • Options
    Godlike wrote: »

Played a fair bit of it when it became EA Land it had hints of what would later become Open For Business because you could from what I remember run your own store and everything.

I for one would love to replay TSO in its full glory sometime!

The running your own store aspect excited me the most :'(
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Someone has recreated this game. I'll have to check it out.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    Someone has recreated this game. I'll have to check it out.

Yeah, however if Maxis wants to protect its intellectual property its only a matter of time before it gets shut down sadly.
  • Options
    wolfkomoki1wolfkomoki1 Posts: 5,053 Member
    Sadly I won't be playing this as the people who made this have a problem with people showing videos of their project. I was going to be nice and bring exposure to their project but they have a problem with Let's Players bringing exposure to their project. So I bid them adieu.
    6JSxk49.png?1
  • Options
    therose822therose822 Posts: 3 New Member
    The game is back, and with EA's full blessing - totally legit, as long as the new developers do not make it any money off of it. Totally free, and currently in beta test. Check it out... be aware the rule are completely different: only one account per ip allowed! http://beta.freeso.org/
  • Options
    ThatUndeadLegacyThatUndeadLegacy Posts: 2 New Member
    I thought it was a really cool idea.
  • Options
    GnomeZenGnomeZen Posts: 273 Member
    I think sims online multiplayer would be like second life with much better graphics and stuff.
  • Options
    zero35zero35 Posts: 99 Member
    i know freeso is a open source project for revival TSO