Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anybody still play The Sims 3?

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    The only reason I'd get Sims 4 is to be sadistic towards the sims, give them a nice little fenced in lot...and then a planet sized toilet...which they can dance around with sad faces because they can't use it. :mrgreen: Yeah, I'm twisted. (married with children in RL) God help my kids. :D
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    @CK213
    I am currently obsessed with TS4 like an aching body part that you keep poking.
    "Ow, yeah it still hurts."
    That made me lol ;) I believe you are a very creative simmer who enjoys to explore all the options and possibilities of a game in every corner it has. In that respect I can understand even a game that doesn’t fully cater you will keep you being intrigued. I envie that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • kjkjkj123kjkjkj123 Posts: 51 Member
    Ever since I got my MacBook Air, I’ve been playing Sims 4 a lot lately and I’ve hardly played Sims 3. I played Sims 3 yesterday on my desktop though. I have to say it did give me nostalgia playing the game, especially with the kind of cell phones that the sims had. It’s so 2009. :D
    tumblr_mp33xbxIYg1rg0s30o1_250.gifBenzi chibna looble bazebni gweb
  • princess_kaguyaprincess_kaguya Posts: 508 Member
    yusss
    edited January 2018
    kjkjkj123 wrote: »
    Ever since I got my MacBook Air, I’ve been playing Sims 4 a lot lately and I’ve hardly played Sims 3. I played Sims 3 yesterday on my desktop though. I have to say it did give me nostalgia playing the game, especially with the kind of cell phones that the sims had. It’s so 2009. :D
    While Sims 4 cell phones....

80s-cell-phone.jpg

... so throwing me back into the eighties ;)
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    Hey, connect with me, via the player wall, and add what you like, and cab gift you something. Have points to burn, and have the store myself, so feel free! Here is my page - https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/LadyGreenEyes - so you can send me a link to your wishlist.

Sent you a friend request. I don't really have a lot of items on my wishlist...and I appreciate the gift offer...but I'm happy just to have you as a friend. I have pretty much everything I want from the store. :)

• GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    80s-cell-phone.jpg
    So I've been building this '80s-themed world in TS3 for the last 4 or so months and I've been getting progressively better at making it look real and convincing but there will never be phones as phat as TS4's. There will never be phones, period, except the kind you hang up on your wall with a big plumming antenna on top. Or one of those fancy wireless car phones. Or, okay, maybe a MicroTAC or something.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There will never be phones, period, except the kind you hang up on your wall with a big plumming antenna on top.
    At your leisure, I think you may want to review how more typical landline (house phones) worked in the 1980s. Antennas were not involved even for extensions, they were more commonly all tethered to their wall ports by cords/cables or at least that's what we had here in the US. The best part was that they all still worked even if the power went out, though of course that's not relevant to TS3. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    There will never be phones, period, except the kind you hang up on your wall with a big plumming antenna on top.
    At your leisure, I think you may want to review how more typical landline (house phones) worked in the 1980s. Antennas were not involved even for extensions, they were more commonly all tethered to their wall ports by cords/cables or at least that's what we had here in the US. The best part was that they all still worked even if the power went out, though of course that's not relevant to TS3. :)
    That's what I remember too. :D
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited January 2018
    SimplyJen wrote: »
    Should we also tell them about rotary dials vs. touch tone and party lines, where we (usually in more remote areas) shared a line with our neighbors so that they and we couldn't use the phone at the same time and distinctive rings like long-long-short were used so we knew which household was being called? Or am I going back just a little too far?

Edit: Oh yes, and if you want to call long distance but within the same country, it's really best to wait until after 11pm when the rates come down. Unless you need to make an Operator assisted call, in which case all bets are off. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited January 2018
    Should we also tell them about rotary dials vs. touch tone and party lines, where we (usually in more remote areas) shared a line with our neighbors so that they and we couldn't use the phone at the same time and distinctive rings like long-long-short were used so we knew which household was being called? Or am I going back just a little too far?

I lived in Manley Hot Springs, AK for several months many years ago that had a phone system like that. In the winter when the only way in was by plane there were about 40 residents. When there was no snow on the road and no ice in the river there were more residents, mainly tourists and hunters. Everyone could listen in on all calls on the line and could hear all rings. All the year-round residents knew everyone's ring sequences so if you heard the ring for Crazy Daisy and you wanted to hear what was being said all you had to do was pick up the phone and listen. :)

The phones looked something like this. 1EPCUBI.jpg
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    SimplyJen wrote: »

Edit: Oh yes, and if you want to call long distance but within the same country, it's really best to wait until after 11pm when the rates come down. Unless you need to make an Operator assisted call, in which case all bets are off. :)
    LOL I had typed out a whole thing but decided not to. I grew up on the outskirts of a major city so I never experienced sharing a line with neighbors.

i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • WaterdragonWaterdragon Posts: 780 Member
    We never shared a line with neighbors, but I distinctly remember using a rotary dial, and the frustration when you used one wrong number and had to start from the beginning. :D
    Later we had a key-operated phone (I learn new vocabulary today), but it was still tethered to the wall. If you wanted privacy, you better had a really long cord.
    My sim´s antics: http://waterdragonsblog.com/
    My studio: http://www.thesims3.com/mypage/WatrDragon/mystudio

Just assume that every edit I make is because of typos.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    I'm still waiting for someone to share a story about the long trek to the community phone, seven miles through the snow, uphill both ways.
    Oh yes, and if you want to call long distance but within the same country, it's really best to wait until after 11pm when the rates come down. Unless you need to make an Operator assisted call, in which case all bets are off. :)

Yeah right, like you ever did that. I'm guessing that as soon as you learned to use a phone you figured out how to hack Ma Bell by whistling the tones the machines used to communicate with each other. People could make free calls to anywhere, provided they knew the "language." Just imagine little @igazor, staring at the phone before mustering up the courage to prank call the Blue Cube. I wonder, what would have happened if they'd called back?
    edited January 2018
    Yeah right, like you ever did that. I'm guessing that as soon as you learned to use a phone you figured out how to hack Ma Bell by whistling the tones the machines used to communicate with each other. People could make free calls to anywhere, provided they knew the "language." Just imagine little @igazor, staring at the phone before mustering up the courage to prank call the Blue Cube. I wonder, what would have happened if they'd called back?
    Look, they provided those whistles in my cereal box as free toys. Is it my fault that I was playing around with one of them while, at age 3, I picked up the phone to make a long distance call and discovered that...oh, never mind. :p

My long distance bills back in the days where I was first old enough to have my own number and needed to stay in touch with family and friends were just as unreasonably high as everyone else's and if there was any illegitimate usage of the phone line, it wasn't coming from me. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Oh, man... party lines...those were fun. Especially if you had to each share one line. Someone was on the phone too long, you'd have a person who shared the party-line mutter irritatedly "You wanna get off the line, soon? Other people have to use it too y'know..." We were so relieved when we got a line of our own that we didn't have to share with a dozen other families.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    edited January 2018
    Well, yeah, but my Sims are spoiled city kids. They don't live in some musty suburb full of lawn flamingos and floral print wallpaper.
    My grandma lives in one of those places, albeit the upper middle class version of it. That street of hers, and everyone in it, only makes sense if you think of it as some giant 80s rich white people stereotype. The houses, the people, even the street lamps, it all checks out. But in the end, it's just another dreary suburb full of pensioners. It's like all those other sleepy Dutch suburbs where people settled and got old together.

So that's why I prefer new shiny stuff. Laura, the moneymaker in the household, is an obvious product of 80s office culture. She lives in an expensive apartment in the city, she wears expensive suits and she goes on expensive dinners. She works her plumming plum off but it means she's got money to spend. In fact, it's kind of a thing of pride for her that she manages to cope so well without having to resort to drastic measures. Like taking her office computer home after work, or walking around with one of those ridiculous-looking cellular phones.

So you know, the least she can do is make sure that she doesn't have to confine herself to the kitchen to make phone calls.
    edited January 2018
    @GrijzePilion - We weren't all confined to the kitchen to make phone calls even if we didn't have boatloads of money back then. We had extension telephones in many rooms of the house. Certainly in bedrooms and any common areas, possibly even one in the garage and out by the swimming pool or polo courts (laughing at the notion of my family living in our condo unit back then even having a polo court, the "land" we had to work with was barely enough to hold two or three tomato plants and maybe a shrub.) But regardless, each phone unit was still tethered to its respective phone port by a cable.

We did have an intercom system, strangely enough, and could page each other or ask who was at the front door without opening it. But none of that was wireless either, it was all wired and built into walls.

No matter how nifty and modern they looked, and no matter how spoiled the rich city kids were, house phones back then were not typically wireless and their operation did not involve using an antenna. Not counting the large actual mobile cell phones, granted those would be different, I don't recall the wireless extension technology or even wireless handsets being readily available to anyone back then. Maybe we just didn't get invited over to dinner (or to make phone calls) by anyone who was upper class enough at the time, but I really don't think those things were quite there until much later. ;)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited January 2018
    Well it's definitely a case of tech merely existing versus tech existing, AND being useful, AND available to the public.
    I mean, cell phones have been commercially available since 1984. But what's the point of having a $5000 phone that's huge, that's heavy, that you can only use in inner cities, and that has a 45 minute battery life? That just doesn't make sense EVEN IF you can afford it. The benefits have to outweigh the downsides, and they won't.
    Likewise, good luck importing a $10000 HDTV from Japan and finding out it doesn't work here because everything is broadcasted in the traditional SDTV 4:3 format. You were told you'd be able to watch the '88 Olympics in HD? Sorry!
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,080 Member
    I still play TS3, in fact I play it more than TS4 tbh, love the open world, and more activities.I have a new laptop coming in the mail and I can't wait to get it going.
    edited January 2018
    For me, it wasn't the kitchen in the 70s. It was the freakin' basement. :( You know what kind of horrors lurk down there when you have to go answer the phone at 9PM...and you've gone upstairs...shut the light off and then have to go back down there...and we had these piddly incandescents that tended to go off at inopportune times. Thanks, GE... you'd just about nearly jump out of your skin if you heard a pop and then were encased in complete and utter darkness. I think my dad nearly jumped out of his skin upstairs when I let out a scream when that happened once or twice. Being plunged suddenly into pitch darkness as a kid scares the living pee out of you.

As per the original poster's question: Yeah... I still play...I guess I mustn't have gotten the "OK...Everybody, switch to TS4" message /sarcasm switch off
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

80s-cell-phone.jpg

Sims 4's cellphones are way too thick. It bothers me that a 2009 game, well it was introduced with University Life but still, has such ugly phones. Even the tablet on TS4 is thinner looking.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

80s-cell-phone.jpg

Sims 4's cellphones are way too thick. It bothers me that a 2009 game, well it was introduced with University Life but still, has such ugly phones. Even the tablet on TS4 is thinner looking.
    I don't quite follow..? What was introduced with University Life?
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member

80s-cell-phone.jpg

The smartphones.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

80s-cell-phone.jpg

The smartphones.
    But *blushes* did the phones... change in University? I sincerely never noticed :D I know you could add a case or something to your sim's phone at one point, but other than that?
    5JZ57S6.png