Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Does anybody still play The Sims 3?

Comments

• Symb10sisSymb10sis Posts: 93 Member
    @Pary Thanks so much! It looks as though I may be able find me some sims in there! That was probably the thread I was looking for. It was linked to from somewhere else (I think MTS), but the link was broken.

I wish sims just came in .sim format though. That would make more sense to me because installing them is unnecessary. You can get around this with Delphy’s Multi-Installer (just change the file extension to .sim), which is what I tend to do (and then you also know for sure whether there’s CC in there or not). It’s too bad that so many of the photos have been taken down, but it seems Photobucket did that to everyone on every site at some point :(.

Thanks again!

@ZeeGee Lol! There have just been too many times when I’ve been researching something about The Sims 3, done a search and ended up here in a thread where Igazor had already answered my question. Over time, I learned that his answers were correct, so that was a bonus. Of course, I believe it was also he would confirmed for me that Easy CASP Editor doesn’t work with Patch 1.69, so that stinks. No one wants a sad sta—onlooker.

Thanks for the welcome! When I came back here recently, I learned that I had apparently posted around 7 times already, likely some 7-8 years ago. Unfortunately, my profile didn’t link to them, so I couldn’t take a glimpse back in time.

@Igazor Do you spend hours standing front of the mirror talking to yourself? If so, that could explain some of it. Do it long enough and everyone in town will be your best friend.

Though I’m surprised to hear that you and your team were vilified here, part of me wonders if has to do with the mysterious name “NRaas.” Google reveals no answers as to its meaning or origin and, since Google knows all, conspiracies are bound to crop up. For instance (and for all I know at this point), it could stand for the Newly Reformed Anti-Alpaca Society. Given the Llama-Alpaca peace accord of 1973 – which is still tenuous at best throughout many parts of the globe – this possibility could be highly concerning. One can support Llamas without being overtly anti-Alpaca (and vice-versa). Not that I’m saying that’s the case here, of course, but again, this cryptic moniker is simply begging for all sorts of theories.

Or maybe it’s somewhere on your wiki and I just never saw it, but I did look and it wasn’t readily apparent.

Anyway, I hope that you (or at least someone) out there gets as big a smile on their face reading this as I did writing it. If not, blame it on the zombie-sim currently gnawing on my brain.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    @Symb10sis - LOL, yes finding lots of answers is a good thing. Finding out that some of them are actually correct is often even better. :D

And, in that vein, NRAAS is an acronym for "Nocturnal Role-playing Action Adventure Simulation." It also in time became the name that Twallan, our founder (now retired), used for his own sims. That would either be Nathaniel or Natalie Raas, depending on which of his games he was playing.

No alpacas were ever harmed in the creation, naming, or maintenance of the mod collection. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Bless Twallan. I still miss seeing him around. He always had an amusing remark, or a helpful word. And he was so accommodating at trying to fit in as many features as people wanted into his mods.

Mind you, @igazor is always around with an amusing remarks, and very helpful advice, so it isn't all bad :) Thanks for everything you and the other helpers do. We'd all be lost without you !
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • comstarhatesucomstarhatesu Posts: 53 Member
    I played ts3 for a little while after ts4 came out, cause ts4 was so bare bones at the time. I've been meaning to play again just for fun :)
    Check out my YouTube channel, ComStar Sims: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt_kBzfB0REHNLOZyucASjA?view_as=subscriber Thanks! ~ Brittney
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    I love TS3...but I will admit...without NRaas mods....I don't know if I could play. I love having my mods...It just enhances the game even more.
  • BariSaxyBariSaxy Posts: 4,699 Member
    I'm the opposite of you, I am always shocked to learn that people actually play The Sims 4. To each their own, I suppose.
    OO2UdmJ.png
  • LunBeautyLunBeauty Posts: 2,734 Member
    I've been playing The Sims 3 roughly since 2012. Yes, I know I was a few years late, but I didn't have a steady job or the funds to pay for the game and its expansions until then, lol. I have taken hiatuses here and there to do other stuff, but I've always remained really faithful to the game and always come back to it to continue where I left off.

• soocoolsimsoocoolsim Posts: 6,261 Member

Yep, totally agree with the comments above re the NRAAS mods and team :smiley:
  • GrijzePilionGrijzePilion Posts: 588 Member
    edited November 2017
    I kind of felt bad about going back to TS3 so soon after TS4 came out (I think it was less than a week) but I've really come to appreciate TS3 a lot more since then. I've gotten a hell of a lot better at it, too. I've also modded it to be more fun, better looking, and easier to run.
    I also put a couple of hours into TS4 today, for the first time since June. I didn't have the time of my life, but it was fun while it lasted. It reminded me that TS4 is not all bad.
    Look out for BRIDGEPORT'88!
    (oh, and follow me on my Tumblr)
    i5-6600K • 16GB • 2x GTX 1070 • 2x 500GB 850 EVO
  • kittykateyeskittykateyes Posts: 41 Member
    sims 3 island paradise is my all time fav i have to say well one of them i just got into sims 4 ive had it since it came out years ago but i have loves sims 3 so much and when i tried the first time to play it i hated it so much within 5 mins i stopped and never played again until about 2 months ago and then they got the toddler and the vampire and all these other packs it was awesome i have to say i love playing 4 cause the building but, im crazy sims 3 cause more the building and the stuff they have and do but seems more play sims 4 and i understand cause its still new and still adding new stuff
  • MemoriiValentineMemoriiValentine Posts: 1,911 Member
    When I heard of ts4 it was going to be so awesome and so much better than Ts3 ! Multitasking and cas has me hooked . So when I got ts4 I uninstalled ts3 before even playing it . Well ... I reinstalled ts3 not long after XD
    Happy Simming!♥
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I must say Sims 4 and I didn't get along really well from the very moment they announced it. That had a lot to do with the sims I must say, they're about everything I don't want for this game. Later on all the sacrifices and limited gameplay was added to that.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Odonata68Odonata68 Posts: 1,076 Member
    edited November 2017
    I've decided to download the Sims 4 trial this weekend and give it a go. My daughter's boyfriend bought the base game for her and she's been playing too. I asked her what she thought, and she said "it's okay".
    It felt like my sim was doing the same stuff every day, and needs seemed to decay fast so I was constantly keeping up with those. I sent her out collecting to mix things up and that was ok. Playing felt uninspired.
    I like how there are public areas and the sims motions (not emotions) have a little more fluidity to them, although a bit repetitive. Some of the multitasking was neat, like standing and eating while chatting. Although, a sim sitting and eating alone is painfully long and drawn out! Ugh!
    Dancing "with" someone is awful! They just dance across the room with they're back turned. :s
    I can't stand having to go to "manage world", or whatever it's called, just to visit community lots in the same world. I would like to click on a town map and click "visit here". And somehow I have multiples of the sim I created.
    The job my sim has isn't any more satisfying than any of the other sims games' "rabbit hole" jobs.
    I like create-a-sim, except for the eyes. To me, most of the preset eyes need to be tweaked to avoid a "dead fish eye" look. Some of the voice choices sound weird to me even when I adjust the pitch.
    Anyway, there are other things that bothered me, so I don't think I'll be moving on to Sims 4. The other sims games have their problems, too, but I don't need another one so I'll stick with Sims 3.
  • thevogelthevogel Posts: 753 Member
    edited November 2017
    I also find that one of the reasons why I have stuck with TS3 for all these years (not just because TS4 was such a bad experience) but the community here on the forum for TS3 is by far the kindest, most helpful and fun group of people.

You will not find this in the TS4 forums. There seems to be a almost Militant approach going on there. Sometimes I think, maybe there was a packet of cool aide sent out with the game and somehow they didn't include it when i bought my copy. I've never experience the amount of attacking, labeling, and just hatred from so many people about a game.

There are people who create topics because they are not experiencing a good time with that game, and they want to talk about it with people who might be going through the same thing. but these poor peeps can't even get the conversations started before someone comes along and hijacks the topic and starts calling everyone "haters". We don't get that here on the TS3 forum....well not often. At least not that I've seen.

I'm not sure which EP will make or break the current TS4 community....but I know the current EP is causing quite a stir.

I'm just going to stick with TS3. I am happy with everything it offers. And maybe someday, another company will take it on and give us a re-boot with everything TS2 and TS3 has to offer, and we will finally get an updated version of our beloved game we always wanted.

So thank you TS3 community. I'm going head into the game and start playing.
    edited November 2017
    I have returned here from the future to tell you all what to expect. It's not going to be pretty for a while, but then it gets better.

TS5 will be released without any sims at all. The simming community will immediately be divided into two camps. First there will be those who never really liked or wanted sims in the first place, all they do is act helpless, become stuck, get in the way, and they slow things down on under-powered computers. It's much better to play with just gnomes and furniture, the sims never really added anything to the game anyway. Then there will be those who will stamp their feet and hold their breath until they turn blue to get the developers to add some sims in by way of a patch. Many will regard the game as useless, especially since it will only play well on phones and digital watches, and mod developers will just ignore the entire thing,

TS6 will be the game that makes everyone happy. The base game will contain everything that all of its predecessors did, it will be 128-bit enabled, there will be an EA TS6 "Store" where everything is always free, it will have player options for Closed Communities, Open Worlds, and Open Mega-Universes. Every single item will be fully CASt-able with four-dimension color wheels, except for those players who don't like those features and just switch them off. It will play exactly the same on any computer including mega-monster gaming machines and your Internet-enabled toaster. :p
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    thevogel wrote: »
    I also find that one of the reasons why I have stuck with TS3 for all these years (not just because TS4 was such a bad experience) but the community here on the forum for TS3 is by far the kindest, most helpful and fun group of people.

You will not find this in the TS4 forums. There seems to be a almost Militant approach going on there. Sometimes I think, maybe there was a packet of cool aide sent out with the game and somehow they didn't include it when i bought my copy. I've never experience the amount of attacking, labeling, and just hatred from so many people about a game.

There are people who create topics because they are not experiencing a good time with that game, and they want to talk about it with people who might be going through the same thing. but these poor peeps can't even get the conversations started before someone comes along and hijacks the topic and starts calling everyone "haters". We don't get that here on the TS3 forum....well not often. At least not that I've seen.

I'm not sure which EP will make or break the current TS4 community....but I know the current EP is causing quite a stir.

I'm just going to stick with TS3. I am happy with everything it offers. And maybe someday, another company will take it on and give us a re-boot with everything TS2 and TS3 has to offer, and we will finally get an updated version of our beloved game we always wanted.

So thank you TS3 community. I'm going head into the game and start playing.
    There has been some sort of battle going on there from the very moment they announced Sims 4. It started with players who had skipped Sims 3 because they hated it and they decided to welcome the new game by slating the previous and eulogizing the next one. That game was going to be perfect and this perfection would be achieved with everything that Sims 3 lacked. It was tiring and awful (I was literally ridiculed at times for merely expressing my appreciation for 3).

Then the game was released and it was a disappointment in many areas. The atmosphere however stayed because Sims 3 was still the devil to a group of players so even though Sims 4 was a disappointment, at least it was lightyears better than Sims 3 right? That's when all the comparison topics started. I think this was very much frustration based.

Right now Sims 4 is getting better with all the content that has been added and I think it shows, the atmosphere definitely is getting better in the TS4 section.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Deshong04Deshong04 Posts: 4,278 Member
    Multi-tasking has been around since The Sims (2000). It has always been a part of the game but more added to the list of what could be done as the series improved and advanced.

Multi-tasking is not new to the series and TS4 was not the first Sims game to implement it. Sure it may have been advertised as if a brand new feature...never been done before which I can see why newbies would believe it but not those who actually played TS/TS2/TS3. Because the facts are evident and clear. Now whether the multi-tasking in TS4 is actually better or not than previous iterations is up to each individual to decide for themselves.

Multi-tasking: the activity of doing more than one thing at the same time, such as talking on the phone while you are working on a computer
    -https://www.macmillandictionary.com/us/dictionary/american/multitasking

The example below.
    -Listening to the radio, dancing in their seats and having a conversation.
    https://youtu.be/f7j0jBT5ftk

There are many examples from TS, TS2 and TS3.

===

To stay on topic. I don't remember if I participated in this topic or not and didn't look through it to check. To answer the question, yes I still play TS3 because it's a game that can hold my attention and interest in the long-term based on how versatile and broad it is. There's always something new to learn, discover and new ways to play even after 8 years and some. Not many game series can hold my attention for this long, unfortunately, it stops with TS3. Change is not always good nor welcomed. Just saying. No point changing when the foundation was already successful, just needed more improvements and advancements. But hey, it is what it is.
    “What doesn't kill you makes you stronger
    Stand a little taller
    Doesn't mean I'm lonely when I'm alone
    What doesn't kill you makes a fighter
    Footsteps even lighter”
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    TS6 will be the game that makes everyone happy. The base will game contain everything that all of its predecessors did, it will be 128-bit enabled, there will be an EA TS6 "Store" where everything is always free, it will have player options for Closed Communities, Open Worlds, and Open Mega-Universes. Every single item will be fully CASt-able with four-dimension color wheels, except for those players who don't like those features and just switch them off. It will play exactly the same on any computer including mega-monster gaming machines and your Internet-enabled toaster. :p

:lol: What I wouldn't pay for THAT game. And please tell your NRaas colleagues things have gotten lots nicer over here and they would be welcomed back with open arms. :)

Speaking of NRaas, I just did a complete reset of the borked laptop and then did a Steam install to see if it would run. It's now working fine. I decided to go completely mod free and that lasted a few days, then freezing and lagging occurred. Overwatch and Errortrap added, everything working fine now. Thank you very much NRaas people.
    edited November 2017
    A game containing everything the precessors did but done WELL I should hope :p (looking at story progression and multitasking) (and the emotion system...)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    I like playing Sims 3 ... Because after all these years there are still things I haven't tried with the game.
    I still haven't played the Fireman occupation or Kleptomaniac Trait ... And all kinds of little stuff like that.
    It offers the opportunity to play at your desired rate of involvement ... And so many options to pursue.

I haven't even bought all the EP's yet (don't have Generations).
    Probably because it has only been recently I grew interested in having households with children.
    I can still add another EP and a few SP's ... My game still has a little more room to grow.

Once I decided to use some NRAAS mods ... I have to admit that set me back a few years.
    I basically spent a lot of time just figuring out what other people already knew ... :D

I really don't have a poor opinion of Sims 4 ... I haven't played it, and don't intend to for a while anyways.

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • Symb10sisSymb10sis Posts: 93 Member
    @Pary I was perusing the thread you linked me to when I saw in the first post that it was being stickied. I then checked the stickied posts and felt so stupid. It’s not just there, it’s the *first* thread. I guess the words “Household Exchange” were too complicated for me. Thanks again!

@igazor Yes, correct answers are most welcome, though any answer can work in an emergency:
    “Quick, there’s a fire! What do we do?”
    “This red metal canister says ‘fire extinguisher’ on it! Let’s try to beat it out with this!”
    “Awesome! Great thinking!”
    Better than nothing. Possibly. Also something I’d love to watch a Sim try to do.

Thanks for the answer regarding Nrass’s mysterious moniker. Now I’ll have to find some other awesome, helpful group somewhere and pick apart their acronym. Just for fun, I did a search for “Nocturnal Role-playing Action Adventure Simulation” because even that phrase is fairly open to interpretation. The first result was a post by Twallan on the NRass Wiki which sadly didn’t provide much enlightenment on the subject.

I’ve heard Twallan’s name countless times. I didn’t realize that even his Sims were famous (Celebrities!). I even saw an in-game statue of him available somewhere once. I’ve been sad to hear that he left. Along with so many others, it seems. I keep dreaming of a finalized version of CC Magic and Easy Casp Editor for 1.69 (I can't believe a worse-than-useless patch ruined such a great mod).

I always assumed that it would take the lives of at least a couple of alpacas (just the sad, simple cost of doing business nowadays) to do what you all do, but am glad to hear that that’s not the case. All camelid lives matter.

I loved your vision for The Sims 5. Ahhhh…the splendor of a world without sims getting in the way of my simming. One can dream.
    @Symb10sis - This one?
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/Twallan's+Archives+and+Tributes

CC Magic will work on Patch 1.69. It just cannot be used to startup the game, that still has to be done through Origin. Or maybe you already knew that and were hoping that something else about CC Magic could get fixed?

EasyCASP I'm afraid we don't have a solution for -- it doesn't work for those of us on Steam 1.67 installs either. :/
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • 1need4kaffee1need4kaffee Posts: 486 Member
    I started TS4 yesterday after a 2 year hiatus in hopes that Pets will be cool. Aside from the Stepford-Sim smiles and the "this isn't TS3" stuff, I enjoyed the game when I played. It just got boring really fast. :/

@igazor Oh Great Time Traveler! I am overjoyed to learn we will have internet enabled toasters in the future. Imagine! I will be able to check the forums while making toast and not have to worry about crumbs in the keyboard. Oh the Joy!!

@ZeeGee Did I see you say you spewed coffee? You WASTED coffee?? There are caffeine deprived all over the world. Please promise you will be more careful. :o
    edited November 2017
    The point of Internet enabled toasters will be that everyone on LinkedGoogFaceIn+ (don't ask) will be able to see in real time what you have toasting and thus know at least part of what you are having for breakfast or a snack. That and you can change your toaster settings on the fly using your smartphone's keypad. It will be one of those "solutions in search of a real problem" things.

I can relate to the coffee spew. Something online made me laugh enough just the other day to do this, what a mess. The scary thing is that I was drinking tea at the time, or at least I thought I was... :|
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @ZeeGee Did I see you say you spewed coffee? You WASTED coffee?? There are caffeine deprived all over the world. Please promise you will be more careful. :o

:lol: I promise to never read another igazor post without first swallowing my coffee ... or tea