Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are you guys sure that you really want toddlers?

Comments

• friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,545 Member
    whats is the point of starting such a topic i would like to see toddlers back but in my case i see the sims4 as a game not a life simulator since i do not let my sims age or die
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    whats is the point of starting such a topic i would like to see toddlers back but in my case i see the sims4 as a game not a life simulator since i do not let my sims age or die
    A life simulator is a game.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited February 2016
    Will these toddlers be able to get a job? Go on a date? Get married and have kids of their own? Not while they are toddlers of course so aside from being cute, and they would certainly be an improvement from being a baby growing straight into a child, I can't really see what value they would give to a Sims game other compared to other life stages.
    I've got news for you. My adult sims rarely do those things!

Out of all the households I'm actively playing, only two have jobs. Two. Dating? For what? They can just flirt a bunch and sleep together in a few sim hours. Marriage? Three weddings in the entire time I've had the game. Kids? Only one of my active households and I don't pay attention to the parenting part anyway. Once they pop out of that cradle, they're on their own. They're 10. May as well be.

So, yes, I am certain I want toddlers. It'd be an excuse to have my sims parent besides for storytelling, and I very much like having cuteness in my game.

Also, you want to talk about value? What value do infants have? Zero. They're confined to a cradle! They're literally just there so a ten-year-old child isn't bursting out of your sim's womb. Besides that, they serve zero purpose unless crying counts as a purpose.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Will these toddlers be able to get a job? Go on a date? Get married and have kids of their own? Not while they are toddlers of course so aside from being cute, and they would certainly be an improvement from being a baby growing straight into a child, I can't really see what value they would give to a Sims game other compared to other life stages.

Out of all the households I'm actively playing, only two have jobs. Two. Dating? For what? They can just flirt a bunch and sleep together in a few sim hours. Marriage? Three weddings in the entire time I've had the game. Kids? Only one of my active households and I don't pay attention to the parenting part anyway. Once they pop out of that cradle, they're on their own. They're 10. May as well be.

So, yes, I am certain I want toddlers. It'd me an excuse to have my sims parent besides for storytelling, and I very much like having cuteness in my game.

Also, you want to talk about value? What value do infants have? Zero. They're confined to a cradle! They're literally just there so a ten-year-old child isn't bursting out of your sim's womb. Besides that, they serve zero purpose unless crying counts as a purpose.

Indeed, so part of the problem is not just the lack of toddlers, but object babies as we'll? I am curious to know weather players would want to see object babies turn straight into toddlers?

Personally I think it is the object babies that need to be dealt with first.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Ignoring some of the more agitated posts in this thread, this is just my two cents on the OP:

Personally, I don't find the toddler stage all that exciting. But then, I tend not to dedicate a whole lot of time to family play most of the time. I enjoy doing a game focused around family play every once in a while if I get a story going, but other than that, it's usually just something I move through and do the bare minimum with. So for myself, I do hope that toddlers do eventually come, but it's not something I'm super angry about or care to get right away.

That being said, I really do want to see toddlers come out very soon for the sake of others. I do agree with you that most people who dislike the Sims 4 now probably won't suddenly like it because toddlers were added. As has been said in the past, currently, toddlers are pretty much the poster child (no pun intended) for all the missing features people believe should be in the base game. When/if toddlers are released, it'll move on to something else. It's more than likely going to be a never ending cycle.

But then there are others who probably would give the game another chance if toddlers are added, and even more, there are others who do play and enjoy the game that would be even happier with the game if toddlers were introduced. I personally don't think they're all that fun of a life stage, but I feel it's a necessary life stage to have that really helps with family play. It's already bad enough we have babies that are nearly just objects, but then that baby just jumps to a fully walking and talking child. It is a bit weird and quite a large leap. Toddlers would help bridge that leap together.

As far as a Generations EP goes, I'm sure there could be plenty added to justify it being an EP if toddlers were to be released as a free update (personally, I'd like to see them not only expand on family play, but also expand on customizing and personalizing our character with more traits, aspirations, careers, bringing back personality options, such as turn-ons/turn-offs, favorite foods, favorite colors, etc).

So while I don't think toddlers are going to make everyone happy with the game, it would definitely be a good leap forward for the game. It's something people rightfully complain about every day, and addressing that would be a good move forward in checking that off of the list of complaints people have with the game.
  • To7mTo7m Posts: 5,467 Member

So, yes, I am certain I want toddlers. It'd me an excuse to have my sims parent besides for storytelling, and I very much like having cuteness in my game.

Indeed, so part of the problem is not just the lack of toddlers, but object babies as we'll? I am curious to know weather players would want to see object babies turn straight into toddlers?

Personally I think it is the object babies that need to be dealt with first.

What else do you expect them to turn into? It seems this thread has a habit of making people snort. I just have to at this.

I really am sorry but I see no reason for your original post. I get what you're saying (or at least trying to) on which I do agree; toddlers are not the bee all and end all of the sims, but they ARE are cruial part (im still reeling from the part where you seem to have missed this, like, dude, where you been?) of the game and life. That didn't warrant an essay on why they basically don't matter when clearly, that's anything but.

I dont even know what else to say. Wow.

--T

• SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
    I think it's pretty clear that most simmers want toddlers back into The Sims. It's the most talked about subject on all sims social platforms. You cannot read a single thread without someone bringing them up.
    Will they change the game if added back? I think so, it would defiantly please a bunch of sim fans at least and put end to all these "We want Toddlers back" threads.
    I would personally be over joyed to get them back. I feel TS4 is missing something every time I try to play and no amount of sp's ep's or gp's will be able to fill in for the lack of life stages.
    giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
    Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

• SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    A forum is a place for people to chalk up discussions and post their opinions (other things too, but those two are big things).

That's the point of most people posting anything. We don't have to agree with everything said, but that doesn't mean there's no point in a discussion like this. Toddlers are definitely a heated topic right now, but I'd like to think most of us are mature enough to discuss something without resorting to attacks against someone who we may not agree with.
    @SoapSuds Good reply :smile:

@To7m I am aware that they are crucial to some, but I do fear that if they where to arrive, as I said earlier, they may disappoint players when they realise that there are other aspects holding them back from enjoying the game. I cannot speak for everyone but I am sure that the devs have thought about this and although I don't agree on the silence on the matter, at the same time I do think there is a valid point for them not adding toddlers yet, however what ever that point is, they do not wish to tell players which of course only adds to the argument. Nether less I thank you for your fair feedback :smile:

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    I've seen stirring the pot. That's not what the OP is doing. The OP simply has, or is making an argument for, an unpopular perspective. That doesn't make him a troll and if it did, that would make me very sad because it's on the level of cult mentality ("if you aren't with us, you're our enemy").

I think what the OP is trying to say is, maybe there are some underlying issues with the game that should be of a higher priority than adding toddlers. Such as culling. Among other arguments.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
    Triplis wrote: »
    I've seen stirring the pot. That's not what the OP is doing. The OP simply has, or is making an argument for, an unpopular perspective. That doesn't make him a troll and if it did, that would make me very sad because it's on the level of cult mentality ("if you aren't with us, you're our enemy").

I think what the OP is trying to say is, maybe there are some underlying issues with the game that should be of a higher priority than adding toddlers. Such as culling. Among other arguments.

Thank you! :smiley:

*bowes down*

I myself have no intention of stirring things and I do apologise if others thought I was but yes, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed, I mean there is also thee incest bug which comes and goes, that needs to be addressed pronto, unless you want to see toddlers in a relationship with a Grandparent? :#
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Playing the devil's advocate can actually be a good thing and isn't necessarily synonymous with 'stirring the pot'. I just don't feel like debating about this myself, because my mindset is too plain and simple concerning this subject: I want toddlers in my Sims game, period. And I'd prefer disappointing toddlers to no toddlers.
    5JZ57S6.png
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Playing the devil's advocate can actually be a good thing and isn't necessarily synonymous with 'stirring the pot'. I just don't feel like debating about this myself, because my mindset is too plain and simple concerning this subject: I want toddlers in my Sims game, period. And I'd prefer disappointing toddlers to no toddlers.

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited February 2016

I feel like I'm in a time warp or something. Of course there are going to be other issues. That's not anything new. You speak as if we will get toddlers and suddenly realise there's culling... ?? Toddlers are merely one thing on my currently endless list of things I dislike about this game but that doesn't mean that when or if I eventually start to get those issues addressed by EA/Maxis that it won't help the disappointment.

I really, honestly do not see the point of this thread. Nobody ever said toddlers were the only thing wrong or missing.

But I'm with @JoAnne65, my mind is too set when it comes to this. I'm out.

--T

ETA: Text
    Ok lets see things from another angle. Now as we all know, there where toddlers in TS2 and TS3, however there are some players who dislike TS3 for some reason or another, or maybe a few reasons.

Now lets say you don't like TS3, the lack of toddlers is non existent of course, but you do not like TS4 either, would you really like the game more if it had toddlers. What bout the other things you don't like? Will they disappear upon the release of toddlers?

For some players maybe toddlers are the only thing that is missing, for others, they are minor compared to other 'cut content'

What would happen if toddlers arrive? The baby would grow to a toddler and you can have time to go through the bonding phase, but then the toddler will grow into a child, into a teen and o on. Would teens be any different had they been toddlers What about adults, they will still go to work, would their careers be any different just because of the presence of toddlers?

I mean, if you didn't like TS3 with toddlers, then you may not like TS4 with them either.
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    edited February 2016
    Ok lets see things from another angle. Now as we all know, there where toddlers in TS2 and TS3, however there are some players who dislike TS3 for some reason or another, or maybe a few reasons.

Now lets say you don't like TS3, the lack of toddlers is non existent of course, but you do not like TS4 either, would you really like the game more if it had toddlers. What bout the other things you don't like? Will they disappear upon the release of toddlers?

For some players maybe toddlers are the only thing that is missing, for others, they are minor compared to other 'cut content'

What would happen if toddlers arrive? The baby would grow to a toddler and you can have time to go through the bonding phase, but then the toddler will grow into a child, into a teen and o on. Would teens be any different had they been toddlers What about adults, they will still go to work, would their careers be any different just because of the presence of toddlers?

I mean, if you didn't like TS3 with toddlers, then you may not like TS4 with them either.

Those are all completely different issues! Having toddlers in the game is obviously not going to fix any other grievances one might have. Culling will always bother me regardless of how many life stages are in the game but I'm also willing to overlook it if I felt the game was up to a certain standard.

What is it that you're ultimately trying to say? That this game is never going to be good enough? I'm totally lost. I see what you're kind of saying but I just don't feel it's relevant. The issues aren't going to magically disappear because we may or may not have toddlers.

--T
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member

I would like toddlers if they had like a playpen or the walker to stick them in. Otherwise I can't take the whiny little satan spawned toddlers I always seem to get in the game LOL
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member

*bowes down*

I myself have no intention of stirring things and I do apologise if others thought I was but yes, there are underlying issues that need to be addressed, I mean there is also thee incest bug which comes and goes, that needs to be addressed pronto, unless you want to see toddlers in a relationship with a Grandparent? :#
    No problem.
    To7m wrote: »
    I feel like I'm in a time warp or something. Of course there are going to be other issues. That's not anything new. You speak as if we will get toddlers and suddenly realise there's culling... ?? Toddlers are merely one thing on my currently endless list of things I dislike about this game but that doesn't mean that when or if I eventually start to get those issues addressed by EA/Maxis that it won't help the disappointment.

I really, honestly do not see the point of this thread. Nobody ever said toddlers were the only thing wrong or missing.

--T

Ok.
    You speak as if we will get toddlers and suddenly realise there's culling... ??
    No, I don't. But for those reading (since you are, apparently "out"), here's me playing devil's advocate: If toddlers are added before issues such as culling are fixed, there may be a lot of rage and ragequitting because "the game isn't built well to handle their presence," despite them being added. I think that's sort of the crux of the argument being made, as I interpret it (and as I'm now making it myself) - the crux being that some talk as if Sims 4 getting toddlers is the be-all and end-all of the game being playable for them, but while that may be true for some, the addition itself of toddlers won't make the game into previous titles on its own. It will still be the Sims 4, with whatever features or bugs that people may not like.

The way I see it, the argument is about calling attention to, and talking about, the nuance of the situation - that Sims 4's divergence from other titles is much more complicated than the presence, or lack of, toddlers.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io

*bowes down*

No problem.
    To7m wrote: »

--T

Ok.
    You speak as if we will get toddlers and suddenly realise there's culling... ??
    No, I don't. But for those reading (since you are, apparently "out"), here's me playing devil's advocate: If toddlers are added before issues such as culling are fixed, there may be a lot of rage and ragequitting because "the game isn't built well to handle their presence," despite them being added. I think that's sort of the crux of the argument being made, as I interpret it (and as I'm now making it myself) - the crux being that some talk as if Sims 4 getting toddlers is the be-all and end-all of the game being playable for them, but while that may be true for some, the addition itself of toddlers won't make the game into previous titles on its own. It will still be the Sims 4, with whatever features or bugs that people may not like.

The way I see it, the argument is about calling attention to, and talking about, the nuance of the situation - that Sims 4's divergence from other titles is much more complicated than the presence, or lack of, toddlers.

Well said! :smiley:

*does groovy dance*
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • DanaKateDanaKate Posts: 3 New Member
    I think the main problem here is that we're purchasing another sequel to the franchise (and presumably planning on forking over for all the EPs, SPs, and GPs as we've all done before), but it appears to be going backwards instead of forwards. The baby object turning directly into a child is not new, it's straight out of TS1. So what's really the incentive to spend money on this version of the game? The graphics? Eh. The neighborhood screen that is really just a picture has become even more flatly cartoonish from a recent update than it was when the game first came out. Not sure why they did that, but I think it looks worse. The sims creation and building tools? It's cool that I can grab the chin to push/pull it, but it's restrictive on how far I can go without using CC mods so I don't see that it's really much different from the TS3 sliders. Emotions? Eh. I thought my TS3 sims were emotional. I don't see a lot of difference, except a couple of unlocked actions and pretty pictures in the UI. The gameplay? The gameplay is restrictive with fewer available actions with the fewer life stages, the loading screens are again straight out of TS1.

Don't get me wrong, I loved TS1. I played the heck out of that game. I wish Origin could let me download them for nostalgia play since my laptop doesn't have a disk drive. My AIs were learning things over time, like ignoring the sink after the toilet and instead directly queueing up the shower in the morning even when I forgot to do it for them, and I was totally impressed. Once I saw what TS2 was bringing with life stages and 3D cameras and facial expressions and things you could really zoom in on, I was very excited. I played the heck out of that game too. When TS3 brought out open neighborhoods, I wasn't as excited about it as other people who had been asking for a long time, but it still brought sims gameplay forward and was enjoyable once I got used to it. Now I play TS4. I do have fun with it, and yes, I still plan to get the EPs, etc. as usual, but the whole thing still just seems like a mish-mash of what's already come before and not really in a good way. This, I think, is largely why there's still such an uproar about the toddlers.

I'm not a rabid toddler fan or anything, but I do miss the gameplay that came with them. It brought dimension to the game that is just plain lacking here. I wasn't really keen on them removing some of the TS2 baby options when TS3 came out. I liked bathing the TS2 babies in the sink. I liked having to have a bathtub to bathe the toddlers. I stopped minding so much when other toddler interactions came out in Generations, but it's an illustration of how going backwards just isn't the way to expand the franchise.

The point of a game sequel should not be that "the game's so expanded now there's nothing more we can add for profit, so let's make a new empty version to make more money with over time" which is what TS4 feels like. That just engenders anger and mistrust from your paying audience. The point of a game sequel should be that there's an area that was previously restricted by the gaming technology of the time but can now be addressed to bring the gameplay forward to a new version. Like taking a static world (no matter how fun it was) where adults lived forever as adults and children lived forever as children and letting them age in stages. Or opening neighborhoods so our simulated people can walk across the street without a loading screen. In other words, it's like moving from Pong to eventually Grand Slam Tennis 2. I just don't feel like we get this from TS4, and removing an entire life stage from what was base content for two versions prior to this one should have at least come with an explanation (was it due to technological issues? do they look too old like teens? do they not interact correctly with adults?) but didn't. So of course you're going to have this whole uproar/debate about it.
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    edited February 2016
    Here's my opinion on this whole toddler thing:

I don't want them back. At all. I'd literally never play with kids again if they came back. I never liked toddlers at all. Sure, the little Sims are cute as heck, but I HATE having to teach them to walk, talk, and use the pooper. And in TS3, if you DON'T do it, then the game decides to make the child's traits plum, and you get punished for it! *thumbs up*

If I wanted to do something I didn't like, I'd be doing the dishes in real life right now, GAME.

Also, I find this whole toddler thing very creepy, no offense. There are ENDLESS posts about it ALL OVER the forum, which I personally am getting sick of. Sometimes the thread would be cleverly named to disguise itself from being a toddler thread. Even though the jump from baby to full kid is weird, I'll gladly accept it over needing to teach li'l Johnny to walk and talk. And even without toddlers, I still have fun with family play in TS4. This is my opinion. You may not like it, but it's MINE.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • NZsimm3rNZsimm3r Posts: 9,265 Member
    Tl tr. Yes.
    I'm a girl who likes to play with boys, what can I say... o:)

“Instead of putting players in the role of Luke Skywalker, or Frodo Baggins, I'd rather put them in the role of George Lucas.”Will Wright.