Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10 and zip/rar/7z files

I am not very computer literate, so please be kind in your answers. There are a few mods out there that I would like to download to my game, but I am so confused as to how to do it. I know that I need to extract the files, but I'm lost as to which one to use. I tried looking here, but Windows 10 wasn't listed, so that didn't help me. I would love to be able to have CC in my game and mods, but I need someone to guide me on how to go about it, in words I can understand. Lol

Comments

• Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited February 2016
    Nothing changes in Win 10. The guide you found to the different types of CC is still valid even if the screenshots show Win 7.

Extracting files is only the first step, but if this is where you are getting stuck it depends on how the downloads are provided.

.zip - No extra tools needed. Download, right-click on the zip, and extract into a folder. Or double-click on the zip if you want to peek inside.
    .rar, .7z - You will need to install WinRar or 7-zip for these. I prefer 7-zip and it handles both. Same thing once installed, download the compressed file, right-click to extract.
    http://7-zip.org

What to actually do with the content files once extracted depends again on how they are provided. The article you linked to from MTS covers this well.

sims3packs - Place in your TS3 game folder's Downloads folder and use the Launcher to install just like EA store items.
    packages - You need the Framework (Mods/Packages folders and Resource.cfg) to accept package based content. All is provided in the section on package files you linked to, including a couple of simple mods to test things out once you've got it set up.
    sims - Sims files get placed in SavedSims if they are .sim format or handled as sims3packs as above if in that format.

Custom content (objects, hair, clothes, etc.) can be either sims3packs or package files, depending on how the creator provides them. Some provide both so you can choose.

Mods are always package files.

Does that help get you started?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Options
    HollyL73HollyL73 Posts: 1,452 Member
    edited February 2016
    Thank you, @igazor! Yes, I think that answers my question. I needed to know what to install in my computer, WinRAR or 7-zip or what, that's what was driving me nuts! Hopefully, I can figure it all from there once I install that. I will go with 7-zip, because I trust you know what you're talking about. I've seen a lot of your tech answers to people on here, and you seem to be the go-to in these situations, if you don't mind my saying. :smile:
  • Options
    One of many more than capable others here, but thanks for the kind words. And you're welcome. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    I also have Windows 10 and I use RAR Opener. It works on .rar files and .7z files. I tried 7-zip but then found rar opener and it was easier for me to use. But that's just me. You might like 7-zip. :smile:
  • Options
    Thank you! I will give that a try, also. See which one works best for me.
  • Options
    @igazor, I still can't figure this out! I downloaded 7-zip, no problem. It's in my computer. I tried extracting a mod and that's where I get lost again. It says Open With... and I don't know what I'm supposed to open the 🐸🐸🐸🐸 thing with! I'm so frustrated. I can't seem to figure this out. I made a new folder called Mods in the right place. I now have a folder called Mods, so how am I supposed to get the mods I downloaded in there?
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Once you have a package file (extracted, no longer a zip, rar, or 7z), you are not supposed to open it. It needs to be placed into the correct folder within your Framework by dragging and dropping or copy/pasting. There is more to the Framework than just a Mods folder. It's actually three folders nested correctly and a required Resource.cfg file. The mods and other forms of package based content all go into a folder called Packages.

The blue Download button here gives you a Mods folder with the other two folders and Resource.cfg already in the right places once you extract. It also includes two sample mods, NoIntro and NoBuildSparkles, so you can test your setup before adding anything of your own. I suggest removing your Mods folder and put the downloaded one into your game folder instead.
    http://modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:Installing_Sims_3_Package_Files/Setup_and_Files

When done, as the illustrations show, you will have a Mods folder in your game folder. Inside of that you will have three and only three things: An Overrides folder (usually left empty unless a mod developer says otherwise), a Packages folder (this is where your mods and content go), and the required Resource.cfg file.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    @igazor So I tried that, down to the very last word. Did everything step by step, but when I look at the packages folder, it doesn't say NoBuildSparkles.package or nointro.package. There is no .package at the end. I don't know why. I'm going to throw my computer out the window! :'(:s
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    I don't know how to get a picture of it for you to see. What I see when I do all these steps is (instead of the little green plumbob icon) an Internet Explorer icon and the words NoBuildSparkles and then below that is an Internet Explorer icon with the words nointro. I think that is the problem. The stupid Internet Explorer icon shouldn't be there. How do you get the plumbob? Am I making any sense at all?
    And when I started my game up, the intro was still there. So that's also how I know it didn't work.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    HSmith2016 wrote: »
    @igazor So I tried that, down to the very last word. Did everything step by step, but when I look at the packages folder, it doesn't say NoBuildSparkles.package or nointro.package. There is no .package at the end. I don't know why. I'm going to throw my computer out the window! :'(:s

Windows normally hides file extensions (the part of the file name after the last period). Unless you changed Windows 10 to show file extensions you won't see the .package part. That won't affect whether the mods work or not.

Do you see a "NoBuildSparkles" and a "nointro" file in your Mods/Packages folder? If so, launch the game end see if those mods are working and have disabled the intro movies and the build sparkles in your game. If they are working then your mod framework installation is good.

If you want Windows 10 to show file extensions...I found this tutorial. I'm still on Win 7. I'm sure there are other tutorials and video tutorials if you search for them.
  • Options
    Before starting up your game, also try deleting your game folder's scriptcache.package file. It will regenerate on the next launch automatically.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    @TreyNutz and @igazor, ok. I think I figured it out. I clicked the box that said show file extensions and now I see where it says .package. So I took a deep breath and walked away for a bit, and then tried it again. And IT WORKED!!!! I believe I may have figured this out. Not to say I won't be back on here freaking out about something else, but for the time being, I think I'm good. Thank you so much for helping me out! :)
  • Options
    You're welcome. And please don't freak out, there are many thousands who have trodden where you are walking now. Thing about mods and that whole Framework is that, with a couple of special exceptions, for the most part they are easily removable. And the very few that aren't just require a little special handling to protect ongoing games, none of it affects your program and EP installs at all because all of this stuff loads later in the startup process.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • Options
    JanoJano Posts: 100 Member
    Hi, was just wondering if I download 7 zip on windows 10 do I download the 32bit or 64.
  • Options
    Jano wrote: »
    Hi, was just wondering if I download 7 zip on windows 10 do I download the 32bit or 64.

That would depend on whether you have the 32 bit version of Windows 10 or the 64 bit version of Windows 10. There are many tutorials on how to find that out on the internet. Here is one. Here is a YT video.
  • Options
    TreyNutz wrote: »

That would depend on whether you have the 32 bit version of Windows 10 or the 64 bit version of Windows 10. There are many tutorials on how to find that out on the internet. Here is one. Here is a YT video.

Thanks for your help, have found it. :)
  • Options
    Managed to download 7 zip and it is on my desktop but it says operation is not supported. My daughter has put the mods into my sims 3 files (not sure how) and they seem to be working, there is no intro or building sparkles but will I be able to download any more mods if 7 zip is not properly installed.
  • Options
    Managed to download 7 zip and it is on my desktop but it says operation is not supported. My daughter has put the mods into my sims 3 files (not sure how) and they seem to be working, there is no intro or building sparkles but will I be able to download any more mods if 7 zip is not properly installed.

I use 7zip myself on Windows 10; I don't have any issues with it. There are other programs which handle 7zip files, but I don't know of any off hand since 7zip works fine for me. You'd have to google for them. You want a program that can handle .rar files and .7z files.

Windows can handle .zip files by itself. The mods framework from modthesims is a .zip file. That comes with the nointro and nobuildsparkles mods. NRaas mods are in zip format. Neither requires another program. Perhaps your daughter just used Widows' built in functionality to handle zip files.

Did you actually install the 7zip program? You'll need to install it before you can open 7z compressed files.
  • Options
    Yes I have installed it and it is on my desktop.
  • Options
    Yes I have installed it and it is on my desktop.

Sorry, I have no idea why it would report that operation is not supported. Hopefully someone else can help you.
  • Options
    Thanks for trying. :)
  • Options
    Dusty_BootsDusty_Boots Posts: 236 Member

I think you, and perhaps the OP, have run into Win10's default security permissions handling issues. This is for Win8 but it applies to Win10, too. Its a good explanation:
    At times, you may download a file from the Internet or receive one by email. Windows classifies certain files as unsafe downloads and attachments by identifying the files type and the security settings for each file. For doing this, it uses the Attachment Manager in Windows, which is a service that gets activated whenever you receive with an e-mail message with an attachment and from unsafe files that you might save from the Internet.

The Attachment Manager classifies such files as High Risk, Moderate Risk and Low Risk. If the file you are trying to access or open or extract belongs to the High Risk type, Windows 8 will block the file from being opened. You can read more about how Windows treats each file here.

I recently received a zipped .exe file by mail from a trusted source. I downloaded the file to my Windows 8 desktop, but was unable to extract the contents. I received a warning box with the following message:

So, its likely that Win10's security is blocking permissions of unzipping the downloaded content and/or running & installing the downloaded app. You'd need to 'Unblock' it. If you trust the downloaded content, the easiest way is to Unblock the original zipped folder that you downloaded. Doing that (usually!) applies the changes to all of its subfiles/folders.

How to: Unblock a downloaded file to avoid security warnings

Once that's done and you've extracted the contents of the zipped folder, you may need to Run/Install as administrator.
    Some legitimate applications require a full administrator access token (elevated) to perform their functions or tasks. For example, when a program that you are trying to run is giving you a Access Denied or No Permission type error.
    I generally use method two:

To Run as Administrator using Context Menu
  • Options
    WellsbrownWellsbrown Posts: 2 New Member
    > @girlwhocriedtaylor said:
    > I also have Windows 10 and I use RAR Opener. It works on .rar files and .7z files. I tried 7-zip but then found rar opener and it was easier for me to use. But that's just me. You might like 7-zip. :smile:
    I use password genius to encrypted RAR password. In fact, there are many free methods. . I didn't know before buying. . Oh
  • Options
    EA_RtasEA_Rtas Posts: 2,875 EA Community Manager
    Please don't necropost in old threads. I'm going to go ahead and close off this thread now as it has been inactive since 2017, If you have any questions about necroposting you can read this thread here : Necroposting
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top