Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

i think the sims 2 still holds up.

mrbmrb Posts: 176 Member
so i just started playing the sims 2 again and honestly it still holds up with all the expansions installed ofcoruse :p but yeah overall its still good and worth playing. and yeah i am just wondering if anyone else feels this way that game still holds up. and infact i would say its gotten better mostly because my biggest issue with the sims 3 is the loading time. for the sims 2 its really really fast. maybe faster then the sims 4 if not just as fast. but the sims 2 has the atvantage of having every expanson pack installed sims 4 however still has expasion packs on the way. so i am worried. but like i said overall playing the sims 2 can still be very fun.

Comments

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Yes, it still holds up, especially with features like toddlers and cars. :)
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member
    I agree. It has withstood the test of time very well. It is still a blast to play. When they made it, they did it right, no corner cutting here! :)
  • joleacojoleaco Posts: 2,250 Member
    Most definitely yes! I still play it very regularly, and miss it if I haven't played it in a while.

I was worried that playing TS4 would make going back to TS2 difficult, but it really hasn't, at all. There is only a couple of things that I miss from TS4 when playing 2, and that is multi-tasking - I really wish they could eat, drink and watch TV at the same time, and the 5 outfits per category that the sims randomly change into in TS4.

But apart from those, it still absolutely holds up in my opinion. :)
    YmWXbP5.jpg?1
  • EvermoreRocksEvermoreRocks Posts: 83 Member
    well my sims series is made with Sims 2 so i use it just as much as sims 4 :)
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I bought sims 4 just because of my sims addiction but haven't played it in several months.

Sims 3 is incredible, but my CC addiction renders it almost unplayable on my laptop which is all I have.

Sims 2, even with lots of CC, has ALWAYS worked great for me even now in 2016. So yes, I'd say it held up very well. The only things I miss when switching between 3 and 2 are
    - not being able to click on them to change clothes (but I know there's mods)
    - Some of the careers that weren't introduced until 3
    - and being able to have any haircolor/color wheel. I never actually used the color wheel for clothes (as mentioned cc addict) but I ALWAYS did with hair.
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    Yeah. I've gone back to it. Only thing I really miss from the newer release is the openness of the small neighbourhoods in comparison to being house-bound. Also miss the ability to have everything fully functional with quarter tiles used. But those things aren't enough for me to go back to 4 any time soon.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • Landscapes101Landscapes101 Posts: 91 Member
    The Sims 2 is perhaps the best game in the series. TS3 is kind of unplayable and horribly optimized. TS4 well we know everything that's wrong with TS4, I bought Get Together and was bored after 20 minutes of playing, it just lacks freedom. So yes TS2 still has it till this day, plus with all the CC out there you're sure to make a great looking game.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    edited February 2016
    Sims 2 is better on my current computer because I've been able to add some Mods and CC to fix a few issues in the game like not having apartment sized fridges for apartments and not being able to take the toddler out to a community lot.
    Post edited by TadOlson on
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I think it's held up incredibly well. To me it's the best of all the sims games. It has it all.
  • Cabelle1863Cabelle1863 Posts: 2,251 Member
    I agree! I still play it to this day. It offers the rotational experience that I enjoy, without the limitations that frustrate me. Sims 2 is an amazing game.
  • Katrina726Katrina726 Posts: 1 New Member
    I actually just began playing the Sims 2 about 5 months ago. Over a year ago I was intensly addicted to the Sims 3. I collected 8 of the expansions in the span of 4 months. It was too much for my good computer to handle and I spent the next two months trying to get it to play without freezing. I actually prefer the Sims 2. The back stories are great and I actually think that the graphics are fine. (Even without my custom skin and eyes) There is also no lag. (I had a little bit of lag with the Sims 3 basegame) The sims here actually act different even if they have the same number of personality points. I don't have the Sims 4 and probably won't look into it for a few years.
    RANT OVER
  • heidi11576heidi11576 Posts: 1,168 Member
    The sims 2 is still my favorite , I lik sims 4 also
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I haven't played it in a few years no0w, it has aged well and a lot of things worked out right but for me TS3 stills blows it out of the water, which is a compliment to TS3 as TS2 itself blew TS1 out of the water, and we all know how great TS1 was back in the day! :smiley:

Now as for TS4, I wouldn't know, I never played it but after a few too many scandals in less than a year and a half, I do wonder if the game will still 'hold up' in 10 years time...
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited February 2016
    Now as for TS4, I wouldn't know, I never played it but after a few too many scandals in less than a year and a half, I do wonder if the game will still 'hold up' in 10 years time...

I think it will. Maybe not for me, but for others, I think it will. I played it. I liked it. Things change. I no longer like it. others still do.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I've never had issues running the Sims 2. It just runs really fast now though. I love the Sims 2 UC. It is a lot of fun.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • SimFan298SimFan298 Posts: 1,079 Member
    My laptop is the most powerful laptop, it seems like, because The Sims 3 loads up relatively fast for me. Same with 4, and other games on PC, except the next-gen ones.
    Origin ID: theAidster21

The Sims has always been an important part of my life, and may it continue to be so! Long live Sims!

[Due to some kind of glitch, I am unable to insert photos into my signature for some reason.]
  • SimmieSimsSimmieSims Posts: 234 Member
    I'm officially back to playing TS2. :) The gameplay is just so much deeper, and I forgot how much fun it is to just watch my Sims interact. I love TS3, but I will always and forever have a special place in my heart for The Sims 2.
    "Your most unhappy customers are your greatest source of learning." - William Henry Gates III
  • RowanerRowaner Posts: 36 Member
    I owned Sims 2 base game as Night Life back in the day but apparently didn't play it much as I can remember barely anything about it. I play Sims 3 mostly but managed to get the Sims 2 Ultimate Collection to try it again.

And even though I love the Sims 3, I'm really enjoying Sims 2 and there are a lot of things I wish they'd carried on to the Sims 3. Sims in the Sims 2 just seem to have a lot more personality, and there are so many interactions we don't have in the sims 3. And I laugh a lot more at the sims in Sims 2.

Things like the sims attempting to dance the smustle together, whistling, wringing their hands and whimpering quietly when unhappy, falling asleep in their spaghetti when they're tired -- so many moments that surprise me and bring me delight.
    It really is an incredibly advanced game with regards to emotions, personality and interaction and it's sad that that didn't get carried on to the Sims 3.
  • ShinobuTypeErrorShinobuTypeError Posts: 2,838 Member
    I've been thinking about reinstalling Sims 2 lately. I haven't played it for years, but now that I have the UC on Origin I have been tempted to give it another try. I had so much fun with the game when it was only up to Pets in expansions, but I had a pretty terrible computer back then and the addition of more EPs made the game lag so bad that I ended up putting it aside for a long time. After that I got into an MMO, and by the time I started missing Sims, Sims 3 was about to be released.

Sims 3 had similar issues. I loved Sims 3 and still do, but even with an awesome gaming pc that game eventually had so many performance problems. My load screens were never bad, but the lag, freezing and crashing meant that I ended up spending more time troubleshooting than playing. The obvious solution would have been to uninstall some EPs, but after I got used to having that content I didn't want to play without it.

I do like Sims 4, but it feel like it's lacking so much content after playing 2 & 3 for years. I think it will get there eventually, but at the moment it gets boring rather quickly. I love the way Sims look in 4, and the animations are wonderful. It's just too bare bones at the moment to really get immersed in it.

So yeah, might give Sims 2 another go sometime soon. With the pc I have now I expect that it should run pretty well.
    "It's like there's a pink elephant in the room and no one's allowed to talk about it."
  • Stormy_WintersStormy_Winters Posts: 127 Member
    I love the sims 2 i never stopped playing.I just wish they did the apartments in the sims 3 the same lol that game is awesome and still with the times.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    edited February 2016
    I cannot truly have much of an opinion if 2 has held up because 2 UC is new to me and I am having so much fun with it while my usually beloved Sims 3 is not getting much of a look in-)

At first I could not get past not having an open world or being able to visit other sims houses plus no story progression in the world which I thought would drive me nuts as I am used to using mods for that in 3 however a couple of months later after modernizing neighborhoods/sims and adding a ton of mods that help with game play features and a lot of help from JULES1111 & Rflong7 I am playing Sims 2 more than 3 right now and I never thought that would ever happen.

For me I am noticing all sorts of small differences such as great family play and other sim animations we don't seem to have in later series, the times I have gone wow what was that because something unexpected happened and I was not sure what it meant, I love sending my sims shopping and see them pay at the till, or browse the clothes racks in the shops which kind of makes up for the fact its not as easy to change their clothes on demand as it is with 3.

The way food is served properly at mealtimes along with family chat (The first family I made in 2 spent a long time doing just mealtimes I loved watching it so much, how sad is that :)

I love the dance interaction where children dance on the feet of teens or adults

I love the way visitors to the home tend to look for and enjoy interacting with the family members they are visiting instead of disappearing to watch TV somewhere on the second floor like they do in 3-)

I love how there are a lot of visitors to the community sites I send my sims to willing and able to chat/interact whenever required..

I particularly love that teens can play like young adults and be able to play cards and gamble etc I still have not found a way to be able to do that for my teens in 3.

I like the way make up CC does not have to be downloaded for each age group, I was pleasantly surprised finding this one out and not having to download separate make up CC for different age groups.

There are loads of other things I like but I am still in a learning curve and just wish I could have been playing the game from the very beginning when it first came out so I could have got to know each expansion pack one at a time as it came out as trying to get used to a whole series at once has been a little overwhelming.

oh and the one i forgot but had to add is how easy it is to group up and dine out and everyone gets their meal served all at the same time, I mean what a concept not to mention all the cute animations that go with the dining out/dating process. I was playing with 3 yesterday when one chef ran off to go to another job before my sim could order a meal and the next time the chef changed into everyday clothes just to ask my sim for an autograph before running off as well :)
    Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • y34rn1ngy34rn1ng Posts: 67 Member
    I may just be screaming into the void here (because I can't start a discussion of my own) but OMG THE DYNAMIC HAIR.

I've never played TS2 and I wish I could have. Because, while watching LifeSimmer do an LP on TS2, the dynamic hair just blew me out of the water. It looks so pretty and makes everything look fluent. Not to mention everything SPARKY1922 mentioned. TS2 seems like a better functioning game in comparison to both 3 & 4 - apart from how much a sim needed to eat, open world (the time discrepancies between lots) and how crazy pregnancies were.

From an outsider's perspective, I agree with this thread.
  • SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
    @y34rn1ng

I agree about the hair as well-)

since I posted this I have spent a week of my spare time adding CC and testing everything as I go, my sims look awesome with face templates, nose masks, freckles, hair, jewelry, make up and modern clothing. I am currently searching for recolors of furniture to match my decor themes and I have just downloaded all Rflong7's builds which are awesome and never need testing to my knowledge-)

I keep saying I have nearly finished when I find more to add such as several 3t2 objects like the all in one shower which is really useful and adding mods that enhance game-play styles I like so I am almost extremely happy with my remodeling project lol

At first I found 2 really difficult to play only ever having played 3 but now I am getting more used to it for example at first I hated that time never moved unless on the home lot but now I see it as an advantage as with a little planning I can fit in loads of outdoor activities for my sims and still have time for home/family activities/parties so I have got used to it. I also enjoy rotating families I play now as I know when I go back to my favorite family nothing will have changed however when playing sims 3 i never change my playable families as too much has changed by the time i get back to them due to story progression.

I also added a mod that allows my sims to visit other sims at home and that works great as well so slowly my game is taking shape.

I love all styles of play but the toddler and children stuff you can download for 2 is awesome such as toddler eating tables, dancing bears that provide skills and on and on JULES1111 informed me about all of that and it has really enhanced game-play.

why don't you try getting the UC version of the game to try yourself? If you never bought anything sims 2 offer to purchase a brand new base game with an unused code to receive the full series in return, that's what I did as although I had previously purchased the sims 2 base game I hardly ever used it and it got lost in a house move. if you do own some old discs that you did not purchase second hand other players have been asked to take photos of their games and any receipts they may have and after e-mailing them to CS as proof have been given UC in return.

There is another thread where players are discussing the many ways we all managed to get UC over the past several months.

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/814708/how-to-get-ts2-ultimate-collection-windows#latest
  • MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    A couple of days ago I started playing the family that I set up in TS2 back in 2014 when I was waiting for TS4. All I can say is -- wow! I still don't like the way my sims look, but the personalities are great and the toddlers are just too cute for words. The thing that amazes me is how fully developed they are as toddlers -- my alien toddler is very neat, very active, very nice and very serious (and he has about 35 points -- I guess that's an alien thing), while his normal sister is very active and very grouchy. Neither of them sleeps much.

I think what pulls me into TS2 is the fact that I feel sorry for my little people. In my 3 days of return-playing, I've seen 2 demotions, and I've had to get the machine that fills up needs for the mother of my 2 toddlers.

I still have hopes for TS4. I'm currently playing a game -- and writing a story -- in which my sims have to go to the wishing well once a week. That's netted me a demotion and a love/hate relationship, plus one of my sims lost all her money. But for weirder stories -- I think TS2 still takes the prize.