Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Barnacle Bay's NPCs, Townies and Ghosts: What you likely didnt know

DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
In my various revamp projects, where I fix up the premade NPCs and ensure the game doesnt delete anyone, I found something interesting about Barnacle Bay. When it was made, the creators gave every single sim in the town a biography and specific skills. They even set some of the NPCs to ages that normally do not do such jobs (Which causes a few problems without mods)

I wrote down all the bios and skills into a text file a while ago, guess I should post them so that someone can eventually update the wiki with it. Amusingly, one of the repair NPCs, Mario Dacosta, was designed to be male, but is female ingame.

Townies

Captain Roberts
Anonymous Source Handler
Cooking 8
Fishing 9
Writing 4
Some consider Captain Roberts a living landmark of Barnacle Bay. The children often come to him to hear his tales of the pirates who founded their town. They'll never question him when his stories start to involve green-skinned pirates with multiple arms. At least, not until they're older.

Ira Singh
Corporate Drone
Charisma 1
Cooking 7
Guitar 6
Painting 4
Writing 2
One of Ira's dark secrets lies back in his square dance calling days when many of his calls involved setting the punch bowls on fire.

Todd Green
Snitch
Athletic 6
Charisma 3
Todd thinks of micromanaging as a hobby rather than a task. Sometimes he can't escape his micromanaging habits at social events which obviously don't earn him too many friends.

Cat Mercouri
City Council Member
Charisma 4
Cooking 2
Guitar 8
Writing 6
From watching old musicals and dance shows to cheerleading, Cat has perfected a dancing style all her own. Try to compete with her in a dance competition and you'll feel like you've got three left feet!

Sergio Dias
Toddler Sports Coach
Athletic 2
Gardening 4
Painting 2
Sergio can be a fun guy to be around, but he's often bothered that not all of his friends want to live in the NOW like he does.

Luis Zubiri
Spice Runner
Charisma 1
Cooking 1
Logic 6
Luis rubs people the wrong way most of the time. Chalking it up with him about his favorite sports and exercises will get him to open up and let loose. But he can quickly turn his nose up if you're clueless about any of the sports teams he's rooting for.

AJ Yamamoto
Orchestra Lead
Collecting 7
Cooking 3
Guitar 7
Handiness 5
AJ's parents often joke that his first word was "VROOM!" since he mostly played with toy cars as a child. He dreams of participating in the Sim Tourismo.

Jasmeen Hassen
Lead Reporter
Charisma 4
Fishing 3
Gardening 6
Handiness 5
Painting 7
Writing 7
Jasmeen has let go of the days of keeping up with the latest fashions and trends and sticks with being a Plain Jane - or Plain Jas as her friends call her sometimes. These days, she'd rather be flashy on the canvas.

Evie Edhi
Mess Hall Server
Athletic 1
Guitar 8
Painting 4
Writing 5
Evie believes in hard work and no play. But her workaholic habits can easily affect her social behaviors. Can anyone convince her to take a day off to relax?

Doreen Slate
Safecracker
Athletic 6
Charisma 9
Logic 2
Writing 4
Doreen couldn't be happier living on the island. One of her favorite ways to pass the time is hunting for pirates! Think she can catch one to make her groom?

Georgia Murphy
Weather Woman
Charisma 3
Writing 6
You might hear a bit of a Southern accent sneaking in Georgia's voice when she invites you over for a glass of sweet tea, if she has any. From her upbringing, she will always offer her guests Southern hospitality.

Arianna Smits
Organ Donor
Cooking 5
Writing 7
Arianna tells herself that she's content where she is, when, in reality, she's just a little lazy to go earn some extra simoleons. Her friends admire her thrift-store chic.

Service

Newspaper:

Elan Daly
Dancing 3
Fishing 2
Delivering the paper is Elan's excuse to run around town and earn a bit of simoleons for treats to share with his friends.

Yuna Niyu
3 Chess
9 Videogaming
Say "Hi" to Yuna and you'll definitely make her day. She's determined to get to know everybody's names in Barnacle Bay.

Babysitter:

Charlie Kidd
Charisma 4
Chess 2
Charlie thinks kids are ok, but if only he could get his buddies to do the babysitting while he earns the simoleons!

Sophie Tang
Athletic 3
Charisma 4
Logic 10
Sophie considers being around kids a bonus in addition to the simoleons. She dreams of having a family of her own one day.

Mail:

Pedro Ximenez
Gardening 8
Homework 4
Pedro's not exactly the conversational type. But if you try to get to know him, he'll let you in on his one passion - collecting classic hats.

Paula Penn
Athletic 4
Fishing 2
Nothing can rain on Paula's parade when she's delivering the mail. If you're having a rough day, shoot the breeze with her and she'll have you laughing in no time!

Pizza:
Roni Pepper
Painting 6
Slobby, scruffy, some even might call him a scoundrel. Sure, Roni's got no sense of fashion, but at least he knows what his favorite color is. Salons can start with that.

Padma Reddy
Gardening 3
Videogaming 3
Lovely Padma is a serious foodie and guarantees that the pizza she delivers is the best in town!

Repair:
Gwennie Peach
Chess 2
Writing 5
Nothing is too good for Gwennie. She loves shelling out huge amounts of simoleons on designer clothes that look like she's been dragged through a junk yard.

Mario DaCosta
Fishing 2
Guitar 5
Mario will jump at the chance to fix any broken item. He likes calling it "mechanical surgery". He once wore a stethoscope to a house call as a joke.

Science:
Brian Adoyo
Fishing 5
Handiness 9
Painting 1
When explaining scientific theories, he often uses food as examples. He once used a pancake to explain the theory of inflated egos.

Sonya Palas
Cooking 1
Gardening 2
Writing 5
One of Sonya's wish is to meet someone who loves to talk about spores, molds, and fungus. An obvious bookworm, she believes print will never be dead.

Repo:

Hector Fujimori
Dancing 2
Gardening 3
In his high school days, he formed a Goth band with his friends called Scabby Batwing Spiral Sisters of Merciless Mercy. Then the drummer quit.

Maya Goodie
Charisma 2
Handiness 3
Maya tends to hang with a snotty bunch. But, like a lot of snotty, preppy girls, she's got a soft spot for rugged jocks.

Social worker:

Kris Single
Mooch 5
Kris's no-nonsense attitude comes from being raised in a military household. And he wonders why he has trouble with the ladies.

🐸🐸🐸🐸 Nasser
Dancing 1
Logic 4
🐸🐸🐸🐸's job is never easy, but her warm personality puts many children at ease and they instantly befriend her.

Arun Guan
Cooking 5
Fishing 2
Writing 3
Most Sims think Arun dresses the way he does just to be professional. What they don't know is that he secretly wants others to think he might be a famous movie star taking refuge in Barnacle Bay.

Leilani Oana
Homework 6
Videogaming 1
Leilani gets a little choked up whenever she brings a child to their new family.

Maid:

Simon Swift
Painting 6
One of Simon's idols is the legendary Don Lothario. Employers like that he's not shy, but wish he wouldn't spend so much time checking himself out in their mirrors.

Torri Keane
Chess 2
Collecting 7
While she tidies up the homes of Barnacle Bay, she's often in deep thought of the current novel she's reading.

Firefighter:

Spot Dalmatia
Charisma 4
Spot loves simplicity - whether it's clothes, furniture, cars, it's either white on black, or black on white.

Lillie Campbell
Athletic 2
Handiness 1
Lillie might be a little on the rugged side, but she's a true hero who will help her fellow Sims at the drop of a hat.

Police:

Chase Cruz
Athletic 1
Charisma 10
Guitar 9
Chase likes patrolling the streets just to be outside. He's been guilty of joining in on parties that he's been called to break up.

Tina Touch
Chess 1
Homework 6
Alert and athletic, Tina also has a softer side when she's off duty. But she won't turn down a date to the gym to keep her girlish figure!

Burglar:

Robi Baron
Homework 8
Robi wonders why his collections can never be complete. It might be because of his particular habit involving fire.

Bea Mine
Charisma 1
Those objects she recently nabbed? She cares for them not - except only the thrill of almost being caught!

Ghosts

Barnacle Bill
Athletic 3
Handiness 1
Logic 6
"Here lies Barnacle Bill
From the edge of the world, and back from Hell
He was a tamer of the ocean swells
Now at peace, a new world he sees
Tides, please carry him where he wants to be
Far, far out at sea where the waves are high and the men are free."

Bones Crossbones
Collecting 2
Mooch 3
Bones was a terrifying pirate who was legendary in his ability to frighten his enemies. Maybe he should have been frightened by the fire that broke out on the ship's deck.

Milo Beardless
Charisma 4
Cooking 2
Writing 7
Milo didn't quite have the mettle nor the skills to cut it as a Pirate. Sadly he was a better Pirate than a Fisherman and starved to death.

Jeff Hickman
Dancing 2
Fishing 1
Guitar 6
A successful Creature Robot Cross Breeder from the Steampunk era! Who knew Pirates could be fearless and scientific?

Cathy Chaterly
Athletic 6
Handiness 6
The only thing Cathy Chaterly loves more than treasure is, well, chatting.

Victoria Skullfinder
Fishing 2
Logic 6
Painting 8
Writing 3
Beware the beach! There you will find Victoria, a mysterious figure who is both beautiful and bewitching enough to lure living Sims to sinister ends.

Jin Lai
Cooking 4
Logic 9
Jin was a renowned Nectar Master whose secret recipes may have been taken to his watery grave. However, rumor has it that the recipes may be buried in the cemetery he haunts.

Ginger Lai
Charisma 5
Handiness 3
Ginger may have taken her favorite cutlass to her watery grave or merely overextended herself during her daily swim. Either way, she is stuck haunting the cemetery.

Ophelia Piece
Collecting 2
Logic 1
Ophelia haunts the cemetery and longs to be with her husband, Dave, and best friend, Petunia. She had the unfortunate accident of drowning in a fishing hole.

Mort Gage
Charisma 3
Cooking 6
Gardening 5
Logic 8
Poor, Mort. He is a real estate developer who just can't seem to leave his failed investment.

Reed Wright
Charisma 2
Logic 4
As an avid lover of books, Reed gets to haunt his favorite place - the library! He loves teaching children to read, even in his ghostly state.

Davey Moans
Painting 4
Davey was the child of a household servant who cried wolf about his health so often that when there was a fire in the household no one heeded his cries!

Wren Rome
Fishing 9
Handiness 4
Wren was a seafaring storyteller and guitar player of much renown. He was also Rose's great great great uncle that proved that age, if you're healthy, is just a number.

Penny Annon
Charisma 1
Chess 1
Logic 10
Penny should not have opted for the discount gravestone in her will as her last name is lost to the ages and she has now embraced "Annon" as her own.

Val McKellar
Dancing 3
Guitar 6
Whether Val stood for Valentino or Valiant is lost to history, but we do know that he was one of the most dashing pirates known to Barnacle Bay. He sadly perished without realizing his goal of breaking hearts on every coast.

Marabel Goldbeard
Logic 1
Writing 3
A Goldbeard ghost from the 1800s, she is one of the oldest residents of the cemetery but the most immature. She is a prankster and is always fighting with the Inkbeard ghosts.

Minty Goldbeard
Athletic 7
Gardening 4
Handiness 1
Painting 1
Writing 3
The cemetery is now home to Minty who was an obsessive collector of gold, but was also a bit of a tinkerer. He met his untimely end while tinkering with new fangled first generation color televisions.

Squidy Inkbeard
Charisma 7
Cooking 3
Squidy was one of the few brave souls who battled The Monster of the Depths. He is the oldest ghost in Barnacle Bay and he heartily disapproves of the new and loud residents.

Vera Inkbeard
Athletic 2
Chess 7
Logic 5
Legendary in her ability to win arguments, Shorty-John's mother may be where her son inherits his temper. He didn't inherit much else from her.

Darla Inkbeard
Athletic 10
Cooking 3
Guitar 7
Homework 5
Darla often spends her days in the cemetery making new friends and fighting with Marabel. The two can't decide which is worse - death by flame or flood?

_________

So yeah, for all of its problems, Barnacle Bay had really well thought out lore, with every single sim, whether a random service NPC or a dead sim hidden behind a tree having his or her own special backstory. At one point, EA got lazy with store worlds and didnt even give playable sims bios, and also stopped asigning traits to service NPCs (Which causes problems). This discovery is why in all of my projects, I make sure to preserve every EA premade sim, and assign a full set of traits to each. My towns feel much more alive to me knowing that every sim there has a purpose.

EDIT: I see EA is censoring the name I.sis now. Thats pretty sad.
Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.

Comments

• CravenLestatCravenLestat Posts: 13,735 Member
    You get my awesome,I do the same thing you do.I love the lore and my library is packed full of Sims to stick in my towns.Great job on the post.Just told a player earlier Rose Rome the elder in BB is super pretty aged down really amazing.Seriously go try it @Devalaous
    I Play Sims 3 On A Potato

DfydFiZ.gif
  • DevalaousDevalaous Posts: 1,286 Member
    The sad part about all these wonderfully detailed NPCs, is that one single second into the game, the mail deliverers, two of the social workers, and one of the science geeks will be erased by the game. This happens because the NPC pool for service NPCs has a maximum of one social worker for each role, one science geek, and the mailmen will be replaced by Adults, since Elders are not flagged as eligible for that role. To preserve these NPCs I have to pause the game the exact moment it loads, before a second passes, and then mark all those service NPCs as friends; with ingame relationships set, the game does not purge them. I always reassign extra social workers to the pet adoption services with Nraas mods, that way all four social workers that EA's towns ship with get used.

In my Lunar Lakes and Dragon Valley save files, I have made my own service NPCs to fill the expansion roles (Party Dancers, Mixologists, Butlers, Magicians etc), and designed them to fit alongside the others, such as Dragon Valley's NPCs all being elven, and Lunar Lakes' NPCS all having blue hair highlights. When I get around to Barnacle Bay, I'll even give them all custom bios, just like EA did.
    Rebuilding Sims 2 inside Sims 3 one lot and sim at a time.

See my Sims 3 studio for latest progress.