Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Heartbreaker Lifetime Wish

I've been playing Hal Breckenridge from Riverview and he's completed his lifetime wish. I created a compatible sim and they were romantic interests when she invited him to move in with her. Then when I switched households to play other sims for a while, SP made them GF and BF so after a bit I played them and had Hal propose. He is going to become an adult soon so I figured it was time for him to settle down.

Here is my question for those of you who have played the Heartbreakers before or are just interested in this topic: Hal has the reputation of being a dirtbag. (Which I find hilarious, btw.) His true love doesn't seem to mind, though. She accepted his proposal and things are going great. Is there any reason I should purchases the 'Clean Slate' reward for him? Are there any future consequences for that reputation that I should be aware of? Should I just see how things go and not worry about it? What would you do in this situation and why?

Thanks in advance for any advice!
The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!

Comments

• Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    In some of my games where I purchased Clean Slate (because Julia was a bit of a player) if she was in a relationship it tended to get "demoted" when the award went into effect, if they were girl/boyfriend it would move them down to Romantic interest. Also unless you change his traits and lifetime wish he may be back to his old flirty was right after you purchase it, it gets expensive to keep wiping it clean. If his woman is fine with him I'd leave it for now, just keep an eye on him. ;)
  • Options
    HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    That's what I was thinking, but just wondered what others would do. I think I'm going to change his commitment issues trait too, since in my mind he played the field and sowed his wild oats and is now ready to settle down. ;)

• Options
    SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    I've never purchased that reward - I usually just roll with the consequences, if there are any.
  • Options
    LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I've purchased that rewards a few times in the past, and never liked the outcome. It's like erasing their history with people, their life, and their memories. I just let them just roll with the punches so to speak.
  • Options
    The interesting thing is that at the time I rotated to their household to get them engaged, I had him buy it and I agree, it was kind of like erasing his memory. The strange thing is that it erased his GF's memory, too - she had a naughty rep due to a romantic interest from college, and it wiped out her rep as well as his. But it did not change their status as GF/BF.

But then the game crashed so none of that was saved, and when I started over I had him ask her to marry him without purchasing the reward and she accepted so I was thinking I would just leave things as they are and see what develops.

Appreciate the feedback, thanks!

• Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    Interesting. Has anyone had consequences because of the dirtbag rep? Like would some sima not flirt with them or something or doesn't the coding go that deep.
  • Options
    I think I've read where a bad reputation can be a turn off to forming romances but Hal never had trouble in that department. :D

I'd be interested in knowing this too!

• Options
    Ok, just because - here is some picture spam. :D

They were both engaged by this point, but still, never thought I'd see the day that Hal would think about marriage without it being crossed out!

24130490023_bf450faf19_c.jpg

But they share many similarities (in fact, you might say she was made for him :* ). They both have the coward trait so when they got burglarized, in unison they both dropped to the floor in a dead faint. XD

24639547732_7ba35e9ac8_c.jpg

So when the big day arrived, things went off without a hitch. Er, well actually, they got hitched.

24663845181_11a2495910_c.jpg

And all the party guests (including a bunch of sims who weren't even invited) seem to have a good time.

24663849801_ef60957e2b_c.jpg

• Options
    edited February 2016
    06Bon06 wrote: »
    Interesting. Has anyone had consequences because of the dirtbag rep? Like would some sima not flirt with them or something or doesn't the coding go that deep.

I did a couple of times, and it involved a guy who got involved with a woman after he got the dirtbag rep, and two different things happened. With one woman, he brought his girlfriend with him when he broke it off (ask to be friends) with the other women. In his case, they lived a long and happy life together, and she never accused him of cheating.

Now with the other couple, I don't know if she was just dumb or not, but he actually was involved with her while he did the cheating. He got busted by all his other romances, and they all accused him of cheating on them. Mean while, the girlfriend, was never the wiser, and they never had any problems. They did eventually get married, and it was at that point he decided not to take any chances with her, and did stay faithful, even though he had the dirt bag rep.

Now in both of these cases it did involve the same man (two different game saves) and that man was Beau Merrick of Bridgeport. I never noticed any issues with them when it came to being romantically involved.
  • Options
    This makes me think I had better check to see if Michelle ever asked that college guy to just be friends. I know Hal broke up with all his ex's so she might be the one I need to worry about!

• Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    I'm playing a slimeball at the moment who never took the trouble to tell his sweethearts it was over. Which means he gets slapped a lot, just by walking around and showing up (which I find funny ^.^) and there are no consequences thanks to smooth recovery (charisma). He's having no trouble at all finding romance, which may also be because I bought him the lifetime reward Master of Seduction. I think there might be a difference whether you control the partners or not. When you control them and decide not to admit they cheated, I don't think there will be spontaneous rejections.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I'm playing a slimeball at the moment who never took the trouble to tell his sweethearts it was over. Which means he gets slapped a lot, just by walking around and showing up (which I find funny ^.^) and there are no consequences thanks to smooth recovery (charisma). He's having no trouble at all finding romance, which may also be because I bought him the lifetime reward Master of Seduction. I think there might be a difference whether you control the partners or not. When you control them and decide not to admit they cheated, I don't think there will be spontaneous rejections.

There are haha When I first got gen I had a sim living in Bridgeport and his new wife accused him while I tried to cancel out the interaction. The other day in my new game the fiancée whom I moved in because they had a child together also accused my sim of cheating, freaked out and broke up with him.
  • Options
    Really, they do that? :D Breaking up spontaneously? I guess I've really not explored the game enough in that direction all those years (even my cheater quit cheating once he got seriously engaged). It's never too late though B)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Yes, partners will sometimes accuse the other of cheating long after the fact, even when the cheating happened before they met, and the "cheater" has been totally faithful to the current partner ever since.

I used the clean slate LTR for one of my early sims, whose husband had died. She had gotten a cheater reputation when she interacted with another man, long after her husband had died, so I used the reward. But I won't use it again. It wiped out every record of her long, faithful marriage, which was even worse. So I quit without saving, and had her not get involved with anyone else. In fact, that sim was married to Marc Brandt in Twinbrook, who also had the commitment issues trait. But they were best friends for a long time before they married, and he was totally faithful to her for the rest of his life.

I've also had a sim married to Hal Breckenridge. I changed his LTW, but not his commitment issues trait. He didn't have a cheater reputation at the time he became involved with my sim, and he never cheated on her after they became involved, either. He also never wished to break up with her or flirt with anyone else, after they married. So long as their relationship is at 100%, sims with the commitment issues trait don't have any problem being married. They may eventually wish to switch careers, though.
  • Options
    Yeah, it's funny. I always avoid confess to cheating because I did that once and the sim was still very mad lol.

What I find interesting with the Seasons heart bubbles is that some sims will get that for every other sim that walks by and some won't. I had a sim that met a townie in the park and he only ever got that attraction thing for her, other sims would get it with his face but he never got it. With that I also find it interesting that some sims just get bored of each other. I had a sim in a long term relationship and at some point the wife would just respond negatively to everything the male said to her even though their relationship bars were full.
  • Options
    SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    I find "Clean Slate" to be too disruptive for my taste, from what I can tell it just straight up erases their past romances.
    On the other hand, I find No Jealousy to work wonders, and its a bit more understandable to me, to see sims fight over a famous person, not with the famous person :)
  • Options
    Right after Generations came out, I married a couple that I wanted to start a legacy with, but his wife divorced him over an old H.S. romantic interest. I was not amused. In fact, I think you could call me livid and be fairly accurate with that description. ;)

I also played a couple who both had the Hopeless Romantic trait and in one save I had one of them 'confess to cheating' and he got angry, but she got a 'kiss and make-up' interaction in her social menu.

• Options
    edited February 2016
    Right after Generations came out, I married a couple that I wanted to start a legacy with, but his wife divorced him over an old H.S. romantic interest. I was not amused. In fact, I think you could call me livid and be fairly accurate with that description. ;)

I also played a couple who both had the Hopeless Romantic trait and in one save I had one of them 'confess to cheating' and he got angry, but she got a 'kiss and make-up' interaction in her social menu.
    Yes, that once happened to me too, and that 'high school romance' was nothing more than a kiss at prom I didn't control (and had forgotten all about, I didn't even know what the boy in question looked like). So when my sim spontaneously turned into a cheater when she kissed the first love in her life (in my book) I didn't like that either.
    I may go for that no jealousy reward now for my sim by the way, hadn't thought of that. The slapping is funny but it's getting a bit old now.
    Post edited by JoAnne65 on
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sof2106sof2106 Posts: 136 Member
    Are the reactions controlled by their traits? Like the hopeless romantics would get really upset but never break it off on their own, while the dramatics and divas would take more drastic measures? :p I'd like to think so :)
    (I now control a sim who is a romantic and I want her to be faithful to her boyfriend because I think he's the one for her -she does too ;) . So I gave her the unflirty trait just to balance things out. So far it works! :) )
  • Options
    GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    sof2106 wrote: »
    Are the reactions controlled by their traits? Like the hopeless romantics would get really upset but never break it off on their own, while the dramatics and divas would take more drastic measures? :p I'd like to think so :)
    (I now control a sim who is a romantic and I want her to be faithful to her boyfriend because I think he's the one for her -she does too ;) . So I gave her the unflirty trait just to balance things out. So far it works! :) )

I know @JoAnne65 once did something which proved something like this. She let her sim break up with all his girlfriends, one of those girlfriends had commitment issues, another one was a hopeless romantic and the last one was neutral.

Commitment issues: She didn't care.
    Hopeless romantic: really, really, really sad.
    Neutral: She began to insult him.

I don't know it for sure it is what JoAnne said me, but I think their traits really influence how they handle in romantic situations, when the traits have something to do with romantic stuff at least.
  • Options
    IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    Yes, in Sims 3 their traits really do influence how they act, and how they react to situations.
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    GITTE2001 wrote: »
    sof2106 wrote: »

I know @JoAnne65 once did something which proved something like this. She let her sim break up with all his girlfriends, one of those girlfriends had commitment issues, another one was a hopeless romantic and the last one was neutral.

Commitment issues: She didn't care.
    Hopeless romantic: really, really, really sad.
    Neutral: She began to insult him.

I don't know it for sure it is what JoAnne said me, but I think their traits really influence how they handle in romantic situations, when the traits have something to do with romantic stuff at least.
    Yes, exactly like how you said it. Picture proof :# :

Elijah_078.png

(the two on the left had commitment issues and the one on the right didn't have traits related to love affairs)

Elijah_079.jpg

(hopeless romantic; my sim's reactions were different as well)

Another example is their behaviour in a tomb when they explore a hole. Their reaction depends on whether they are brave, a coward or neither.

5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    sof2106sof2106 Posts: 136 Member
    Lol, I love that the two with the commitment issues are like "Yeah dude, so THAT'S the important thing you wanted to talk to me about? Whatever. Later"
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    In one game I played two hopeless romantics who were GF/BF, and the female cheated with a married co-worker. Apparently the BF was told by a mutual "friend" because when she met him on a date, he was absolutely furious! He kept insulting her over and over. I finally just sent her home because nothing I had her do or say was helping.

A few days after that I had her visit him at her house and he was still unforgiving and mad as all get out, still insulting her the whole time. If I remember correctly, I finally dumped that save and went back to an earlier save. So I think there usually is some programming that makes them behave differently based on traits, but there's probably also some randomness/chance involved to all this which makes it complex and unpredictable - and therefore far more interesting.

• Options
    I really hate this part of the game. This affected two of my sims in two different games very negatively, and in their case they were never romantically involved with either party. In one game save, I had a sim who married to a NPC firefighter. They were married for a long time and had a few children together, and the kids were teens, and nearly teen. She went over to a friends home, and asked to spend the night (the friendly one, not the romantic one). She slept in a separate bed, by herself. She only did this because she was just too tired to make it home. Anyways, her friend's mother, hated her, and I'm assuming she was the one who spread the rumors. Well the next day, after my sim got home, her husband accused her of cheating, and wouldn't listen to her. It was so bad, he didn't slap her, but actually beat her up in a fight. I finally gave up trying, and just had her ask for a divorce.

The other couple also had several kids, she was pregnant with their sixth child. One day she went to the grocery store, and didn't waist any time there. While she was there this old woman (she didn't even know this woman) wanted to cuddle with my sim, and I canceled out this action. So there was no cuddling what so ever. When my sim got home, her husband accused her of cheating, but in this case she was able to tell him it was all lies, and he believed her. After my sim gave birth to their daughter she found out where the woman lived at, and beat the living snot out of her three times, because she was not happy that some one was trying to destroy her marriage. Let's just say if I had mods in my game at the time, the Grim Reaper would have had to make a visit.