Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Error code 22 & possibly too many Saves...?

I copied my Sims 4 Saved games a couple days ago, and pasted/backed them up in a folder on my desktop. When I went to play yesterday, I received the error code 22.

I saw how to "fix" the error code through a Google search, and it seemed to be a simple solution; HOWEVER, I have almost 400 saves/versions in my Saves folder, and to put them all back individually is nuts! Do I have too many games to keep? Should I transfer "version" files, too?

Also, is there a general rule for how many Saves you should have going? I really don't understand why they changed to this slot positioning for Sims 4 vs Sims 3 instead of Save As game names, either.

Your help is greatly appreciated! :smile:
Megan

Comments

• kathrynmarienkathrynmarien Posts: 239 Member
    edited January 2016
    I know this may not be helpful (and doesn't really answer your question), but I thought I'd share what I do with back-up saves.

I always use "Save As" and I title the save with the date and time. For example: Jan 23 - 11:20 (in-game, I don't actually change the file name in the folder). I have a folder on my desktop for back-up saves. Inside, I have separate folders that are arranged by date--separate dates for each day I play. So, today's folder will be 1-23-16 and inside I will copy the saves I create. In the real saves folder, I delete all the extras and keep only the most recent, so that any time I load the game, I'm only loading one save.

For me, although the files add up, it helps me in organization if/when I need to go back and find an older save, it's easier to distinguish them. I don't keep save files forever--I usually keep just about 6 months or so of saves and routinely delete the older ones. I've had to revert to an earlier save before, and found it manageable to navigate. I started with the most recent date and worked my way back. It usually doesn't take too many files to find a working one.

Sorry if that doesn't help :(
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    edited January 2016
    Hello.
    First, go to your save folder and move the slot_00000001.save file. to your desktop. That is the autosave file and could be causing issues. Then launch the game. Go to the load button ( the one with the file image) in the main screen in the game, load one of your game files and see if the game works.
    The error 22 may be caused because you have a lot of save games in your saves folder. You may need to remove some of them. You can keep the ones that you remove in another folder on your computer in case you want to play them in the future.
    The versions of each slot number are back up copies of each of the save games. When testing, you don't need to test the versions.
    This link explains about the saves files in a saves folder..
    https://help.ea.com/en/article/how-to-restore-a-previous-saved-game-in-the-sims-4/
  • RequiemforasimRequiemforasim Posts: 311 Member
    kathrynmarien: Depending on how much you play, yes, that probably adds up on your desktop, no doubt! Thanks for the tip though--noted! :wink: rosemow: Thanks for the info and the link; my game's error code is gone and I learned about the save files' system--yay! :smiley:
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,593 Member
    kathrynmarien: Depending on how much you play, yes, that probably adds up on your desktop, no doubt! Thanks for the tip though--noted! :wink: rosemow: Thanks for the info and the link; my game's error code is gone and I learned about the save files' system--yay! :smiley:

I am glad that the issue has been fixed :)
    Happy Simming!