Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Discoveries !

Comments

• Options
    Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    @Frogprincess_q but is it only available as a download, or will they send me a disc? I've been reading on these boards that everyone has to play online? This is not what I want. I want to be able to play offline like I'm currently doing with the Sims2.

It's download but once it's done you don't have to play connected. I even uninstall Origin because it's not needed to run TS2.
  • Options
    SataiDelennnSataiDelennn Posts: 1,265 Member
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > @SataiDelennn wrote: »
    >
    > @Frogprincess_q but is it only available as a download, or will they send me a disc? I've been reading on these boards that everyone has to play online? This is not what I want. I want to be able to play offline like I'm currently doing with the Sims2.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's download but once it's done you don't have to play connected. I even uninstall Origin because it's not needed to run TS2.

OK, thanks!
  • Options
    LadysimPlayer8LadysimPlayer8 Posts: 775 Member
    @SataiDelennn
    There is a lot of good reasons for going for the Ultimate Collection - free of charge and the complete Sims2 package for all aspects of gameplay and loads of content.
    Sims2 Expansion and Stuff Packs in disk form can still be purchased on-line e.g. Amazon. It would give you the choice of which one(s) to select and being a disk you don't need to worry about how many times you can re-install if you need to or change your computer from time to time.
    The disks are designed to run on Windows XP and Vista but if you have Windows 7 or greater, run in compatibility mode, which I think you are already doing for your Sims2 base game you have installed.
    Hope this helps?
  • Options
    > @LadysimPlayer8 said:
    > @SataiDelennn
    > There is a lot of good reasons for going for the Ultimate Collection - free of charge and the complete Sims2 package for all aspects of gameplay and loads of content.
    > Sims2 Expansion and Stuff Packs in disk form can still be purchased on-line e.g. Amazon. It would give you the choice of which one(s) to select and being a disk you don't need to worry about how many times you can re-install if you need to or change your computer from time to time.
    > The disks are designed to run on Windows XP and Vista but if you have Windows 7 or greater, run in compatibility mode, which I think you are already doing for your Sims2 base game you have installed.
    > Hope this helps?

@LadysimPlayer8 Thanks! No, I'm not running in compatibility mode. It doesn't seem to need it on my Windows 7. I don't know why, but I'm glad. So, if I decide to install it on my new Windows 8.1 laptop, I'd need to use compatibility mode? Good to know, because I would have tried to play it directly as I do now on Windows 7. And yeah, that's precisely why I want the discs; so that if something goes wrong (like it previously did), I can do a complete uninstall and then reinstall the game.

It's why I have such a difficult time with companies who push download content and claim that discs are an unnecessary clutter. I sit back and think, "Really? Not to me!" Lol.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    I'm not using compatibility mode on Win 7 either, but I did have to used the Graphic Rules Fix to get the game to recognise my much newer graphics card. And to get rid of the black boxes and increase my graphics memory, etc.

The UC is much easier for when you do a full reinstall, I find, but I have more than one or two disks. I have just about everything and reinstalling from scratch using disks would take hours probably :cold_sweat:

If you choose to keep Origin installed you can even get Origin to repair the game in a situation where a full reinstall may not be needed. I understand though about the whole downloadable content only thing. The UC was a free gift for people who own Sims 2 on disk probably to encourage them to use Origin, but as mentioned above, it is possible to run the game from the .exe and not Origin anyway. No need to be online or anything once the game is installed.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I learned/discovered that there is actally a population cap on the town before it goes wonky. I wonder if that's why I can never get past generation 13 of anything without some form of corruption o.O
  • Options
    @cleo00
    The population cap was mentioned in another post and it is thousands - so I don't think that is the reason, assuming your sims do die? :)
    Files can become corrupt if you use mods or custom content; sometimes even if you don't.
    I remember having a legacy family that lived in Neighbourhood 4 (Legacy) and I played this family for about 5 generations.
    I took a back up of the game and moved the EA folder to another location and generated a complete new Sims2 game folder which I enjoyed starting fresh again with Pleasantview etc.
    After a while though, I thought I would return to my legacy family, so copied and pasted Neighbourhood 4 to this new EA Folder.
    Graves in Pleasantview (Goth) and Strangetown (Specter) disappeared! :(
    I wished I had taken a back up of my new game before I added in Neighbourhood 4 (Legacy) but I guess there are lots of stories like this.
  • Options
    Bluefairy286Bluefairy286 Posts: 254 Member
    edited April 2016
    My sim was swinging on the fridge.
    Once your sims are elders they can celebrate their golden anniversary.
    New years bash; at 11pm father time will visit.(sims 2 happy holiday)
  • Options
    meepweepmeepweep Posts: 309 Member
    If you use testingcheats and shift click your sim you can set their outfits with all the options. I know part of ts2 is to go out and do that stuff but going out and buying their outfits is just a hassle to me so :P a cheaters discovery. Sorry :lol:
  • Options
    KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,067 Member
    Screenshot.bmp
    That children will occasionally eat cake like this. (I'm so glad Claire did this and not her brother Charlie because it fits her!)
    Just to let you know, if you have two toddlers on the lot, they can fight over a bottle! I used to love this interaction. You have to be quick, though, so that the first toddler doesn't finish off the bottle, before the second one can come 'grab' it.

Do they do it autonomously? I never saw Claire and Charlie (my sims twins) fight over the bottle.
  • Options
    Frogprincess_qFrogprincess_q Posts: 1,269 Member
    KatNipples wrote: »
    <snipped image>
    That children will occasionally eat cake like this. (I'm so glad Claire did this and not her brother Charlie because it fits her!)
    Just to let you know, if you have two toddlers on the lot, they can fight over a bottle! I used to love this interaction. You have to be quick, though, so that the first toddler doesn't finish off the bottle, before the second one can come 'grab' it.

Do they do it autonomously? I never saw Claire and Charlie (my sims twins) fight over the bottle.

The toddlers do fight over bottle autonomously. If they are both hungry and not doing anything else and only one has a bottle.
    Edits made and not mentioned will be for typos.

- Froggie
    1nr15n0.jpg
    WIP: http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/851667/australian-world-version-1-0-uploaded/p1
  • Options
    @cleo00
    The population cap was mentioned in another post and it is thousands - so I don't think that is the reason, assuming your sims do die? :)
    Files can become corrupt if you use mods or custom content; sometimes even if you don't.
    I remember having a legacy family that lived in Neighbourhood 4 (Legacy) and I played this family for about 5 generations.
    I took a back up of the game and moved the EA folder to another location and generated a complete new Sims2 game folder which I enjoyed starting fresh again with Pleasantview etc.
    After a while though, I thought I would return to my legacy family, so copied and pasted Neighbourhood 4 to this new EA Folder.
    Graves in Pleasantview (Goth) and Strangetown (Specter) disappeared! :(
    I wished I had taken a back up of my new game before I added in Neighbourhood 4 (Legacy) but I guess there are lots of stories like this.

I use plenty of CC, very few mods. Just basic game cleaning stuff. I've never had any other towns become corrupt except ones I try to do legacies in. It always is at generation13 though - sims start disappearing and Mootilda's Hood Checker on MTS has a field day. Spooky 13.
  • Options
    SleepycatDSLSleepycatDSL Posts: 271 Member
    Toddlers are adorable when they fight over a bottle.
    From what I have read the population cap is 32,000. I can't imagine having that many, though I recently made a hood with close to 800 sims. I doubt that 32,000 character files was actually tested.
  • Options
    @SleepcatDSL
    I agree toddlers are so cute - especially twin toddlers when they "huddle"! :)
    Are you the player that placed all the Sims from other neighbourhoods e.g. Pleasantview/Strangetown/Veronaville into one neighbourhood?
    I would love to try that but worry about losing the Sim's family and other relationships.
  • Options
    I have done that, though I may not be the one your thinking of. The first Uber-hood I did (Uberlicious) was using versions of the pre-mades that I had given plastic surgery too. In that hood, all relationships & friendships were intact (I made sure of that) but no one had any ancestors. I couldn't see the point of making safe copies of the original Ancestors when they were all going to be dead, clogging up the game with their useless character files.

The one I did recently (Megaheaven) was a massive breeding project. Last year, I had created new versions of the pre-made Ancestors (used their genetic info and stuff) and packaged them all up for future use (cleaned up so they are safe). I bred them all (used mods to speed things up), till I got them where I wanted them. In the end, everyone had lots of friends & family, unlike the originals where hardly any of them even knew each other. I divided them up between the base hood and 3 downtowns. Since I didn't kill anyone off, the oldest only have a few days left and the youngest are younger then they are in the original hoods.

Last year I did a different version of the same but I had changed it up by having all the 'required kids' born by the 'correct mothers' but the fathers were chosen by who knocked up the mother first (I use ACR). It was fun to do and I still laugh that Mortimer ended up being Dustin's father.

I like doing breeding projects like this and the pre-mades give me a plan to follow, though I've done some hoods with my own sims. TS2 hoods & TS3 worlds are fun to make and share. :smile:
  • Options
    Olivesplum06Olivesplum06 Posts: 1,076 Member
    Pets, like humans will not be able to sleep with a tv on in the room (So annoying)
  • Options
    MVWdeZTMVWdeZT Posts: 3,267 Member
    I've been playing sims for 8 years, but while playing in sims 2, I discovered that my female sim had a definite preference for women, lighting up women when she scoped the room. Someone she met even set up a blind date for her with another woman. I guess if she's going to have children they'll be adopted.
  • Options
    MidnightAuraMidnightAura Posts: 5,809 Member
    I was playing earlier and the adult man in my family got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I then noticed him going to tuck his 3 children in who were fast asleep in their beds. I know they can do this but I've never seen a sim do it by themselves to a child, I usually habe to direct them to do this when they are toddlers.
  • Options
    I love it when they tuck in the kids. <3
  • Options
    Goldbear86 wrote: »
    I was playing earlier and the adult man in my family got up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom. I then noticed him going to tuck his 3 children in who were fast asleep in their beds. I know they can do this but I've never seen a sim do it by themselves to a child, I usually habe to direct them to do this when they are toddlers.

Both of my Sims went into a feedback loop tucking their daughter in, and I had to make them go do something else. Further, my female adult Sim took the initiative to tuck in her daughter after she became a child, and it was near time for her to wake up, so she got cranky and shooed her mom away, lol.
  • Options
    EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,937 Member
    You can actually click on wishing well with Design tool. You can change wishing well textures.
  • Options
    EgonVM wrote: »
    You can actually click on wishing well with Design tool. You can change wishing well textures.

Click on what???
  • Options

Click on what???

EgonVM is talking about the wishing well. I can't for the life of me remember where in game it is located, but I know what Egon's talking about and have used it many times. It has never occured to me to recolor it.

I learned that you can do yoga on the coffee tables :o i read about it in a trivia thing and just had to test it for myself. It is true :D
  • Options
    Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member
    cleo00 wrote: »

Click on what???

EgonVM is talking about the wishing well. I can't for the life of me remember where in game it is located, but I know what Egon's talking about and have used it many times. It has never occured to me to recolor it.

I learned that you can do yoga on the coffee tables :o i read about it in a trivia thing and just had to test it for myself. It is true :D

The wishing well came with Seasons and it was a reward for getting into the Gardening Club.

If you send your college aged Sims to community lots in the main neighborhood or to lots in Downtown or a Shopping District, their finals timer will reset. Good for a quick mood boost or a date. Or a good time freeze to do a bunch of college assignments if their progress meter is fully expanded.

If you've got University and Seasons, setting the season to fall will let them complete their term paper in half the time. And boosts grades a lot more than on other seasons. Sims can get by with just the term paper and one class most times if the Season is set to fall. Very useful when you've got a lot of Sims in the dorm to control.
  • Options
    cleo00 wrote: »

Click on what???

Oh, OK. Thanks. Don't have it, so not going to worry about it, lol.

I think I VAGUELY remember that they can do that. Sims really are odd sometimes!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top