The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Accidental gender influence?

I don't remember what kinds of music make a boy or girl more likely, so I compulsively turn off the stereo any time I have someone pregnant. Could it happen just by the sim listening casually? Do the gender-influencing kinds of music play without being purposefully set by me? Could the same happen with TV shows? Any way I can avoid this short of taking the stereo and TV away?

Comments

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    edited January 2016
    The TV doesn't influence the gender at all, but I'd imagine they could autonomously listen to the right channel to influence gender (pop for girls, alternative for boys). It's been a bit since I influenced gender but I think they have to listen to it a quiet a bit. Don't forget Strawberries influence girls and carrots influence boys, too. So be careful with foods, too.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited January 2016
    TV should not influence gender. Pop = girls, alternative = boys.

Edit: Your sims could definitely turn on the stereo autonomously. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they just turn on the last played station.

I stash my sims' stereos in the household inventory during pregnancy if I'm worried about the gender.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• mswickmswick Posts: 46 Member
    I don't think TV influences gender, but doesn't watching the kids network raise the chance of multiple births? I thought I read that somewhere...
    @mswick I've seen/heard that watching the kids channel influences multiples, but I've never tested it and don't have any idea if there's truth to it. Deligracy (YouTube) tried it out in her Barbie LP and it didn't yield multiples for her.

• ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member
    mswick wrote: »
    I don't think TV influences gender, but doesn't watching the kids network raise the chance of multiple births? I thought I read that somewhere...

That's sims 3. The tv doesn't affect anything in Sims 4 and, last I've heard, nothing increases chance of multiples except *maybe* the fertile reward trait. Though that's never had that big of an effect in my games, either.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • mswickmswick Posts: 46 Member
    I'm sure my daughter played and was desperate for her sim to have at least twins. She had her listening to kids music, watching kids TV and reading kid books. She got her twins, but it's hard to say if that was the reason, or just coincidence.
  • 3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    edited January 2016
    TV should not influence gender. Pop = girls, alternative = boys.

Edit: Your sims could definitely turn on the stereo autonomously. I'm not entirely sure, but I think they just turn on the last played station.

I stash my sims' stereos in the household inventory during pregnancy if I'm worried about the gender.

They don't just turn the stereo on to the last thing it was on they do seem to have specific tastes when it comes to what music they like to listen to. At least my Sims do.

OP what they listen to even autonomously will indeed influence what they have but I think they do have to listen to it for a certain amount of time/number of separate sessions. I try not to influence what gender babies my Sims have but I don't stop them from listening to certain things on the radio if they choose to do so while working on other things and I have definitely noticed that if they choose to listen to a lot of pop they will have a girl and if they choose to listen to alternative they'll have a boy so if you're worried about it I would remove the stereo completely or just choose what they listen to for them.
    ~ ~ ~
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    ChelleJo wrote: »
    mswick wrote: »

That's sims 3. The tv doesn't affect anything in Sims 4 and, last I've heard, nothing increases chance of multiples except *maybe* the fertile reward trait. Though that's never had that big of an effect in my games, either.

Someone was saying the level of flirtiness (Flirty/Very Flirty etc) at conception can increase chance of multiple births. Haven't tried it though.
    I just wanted to mention - I had a sim who was already pregnant and I knew she would go into labor shortly after I loaded up the game. So, I sat she and her spouse down to chat in front of the kids network and she went into labor while they were watching/chatting and she had twin boys.

It's possibly a coincidence, but it did happen.