March 29th - It's time for our Friday Highlights! You can check them out here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 2 Huge Office Fire !

SimeggrollsSimeggrolls Posts: 637 Member
edited January 2016 in The Sims 2
I see a lot of people not knowingly repeat a rumor and I'm just here to clear it up. While The sims 1 was still being worked on they were also working on the sims 2 and announced the Sims 2 in may of 2003. Earlier videos showed what the game looked like and its completely different from what was released,not talking about the trailer because that was obviously a render. The videos showed the control panel being different that's because it was an early prototype. Along with the sims themselves and objects looking like they belong in the sims 1 and on an console. That was the early version i guess they updated the graphics as time passed because as 2004 approached everything was different,updated and tweaked for the final finished product. I mean think about it if they had really"lost EVERYTHING in an huge office fire" The Sims 2 probably would've been delayed for a few years. So no there was no office fire they just finished the product with updated graphics and added more to the game.

Comments

• Joseph15266Joseph15266 Posts: 305 Member
    I think they might have had a server fire, but not nearly as major as some people think. It was in my opinion the reason for cutting a number of features and maybe even the original neighborhoods like Riverside or Sedona.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2016
    I see a lot of people not knowingly repeat a rumor and I'm just here to clear it up. While The sims 1 was still being worked on they were also working on the sims 2 and announced the Sims 2 in may of 2003. Earlier videos showed what the game looked like and its completely different from what was released,not talking about the trailer because that was obviously a render. The videos showed the control panel being different that's because it was an early prototype. Along with the sims themselves and objects looking like they belong in the sims 1 and on an console. That was the early version i guess they updated the graphics as time passed because as 2004 approached everything was different,updated and tweaked for the final finished product. I mean think about it if they had really"lost EVERYTHING in an huge office fire" The Sims 2 probably would've been delayed for a few years. So no there was no office fire they just finished the product with updated graphics and added more to the game.

Check again. Not only was there a fire during the production of TS2 they had many power outages setting them back and many other problems but we never heard, it's hard and expensive.

ETA: Here you go:

Others, PC / MAC

The Sims 2 [Beta – PC/MAC]

 U64 Staff & Contributors

 25-06-2013

In 2001 Maxis began development of a successor to The Sims, due to the massive success of the game. The game had 2 development versions. Not many people know, but according to many users on “Mod The Sims” forums, almost all the games development data was lost during a small office server room fire, that resulted in most of the game being developed again from scratch (In addition to this, Maxis also at the time revealed that source codes for many other titles were also lost, such as the console games for example). Many things that were planned were cut due to that reason, such as weather in the base game, and scenarios (an early trailer actually shows that during a storm, the power can go out and you must fix it by pulling a breaker). Additionally, the beta basements were originally intended, but lost during the re-development.

The graphics in the original version look more like graphics seen in “The Urbz” and “The Sims Bustin Out”, which makes it possible the early version may of been using the same engine as those 2 titles, as they were pretty advanced for being console games.

Although the game went into redevelopment, alot of features from the lost build was restored, such as most of the furniture shown in the images and videos of the lost build, music and sounds. Additionally, Weather features like rain, was present in the lost build, but not in the final build. This feature was later restored in The Sims 2 Seasons.

The game was initially confirmed to release in early 2004. But due to the redevelopment the date was delayed until September 2004, which EA called “Final Touches”.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited January 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »

Check again. Not only was there a fire during the production of TS2 they had many power outages setting them back and many other problems but we never heard, it's hard and expensive.

ETA: Here you go:

Others, PC / MAC

The Sims 2 [Beta – PC/MAC]

 U64 Staff & Contributors

 25-06-2013

In 2001 Maxis began development of a successor to The Sims, due to the massive success of the game. The game had 2 development versions. Not many people know, but according to many users on “Mod The Sims” forums, almost all the games development data was lost during a small office server room fire, that resulted in most of the game being developed again from scratch (In addition to this, Maxis also at the time revealed that source codes for many other titles were also lost, such as the console games for example). Many things that were planned were cut due to that reason, such as weather in the base game, and scenarios (an early trailer actually shows that during a storm, the power can go out and you must fix it by pulling a breaker). Additionally, the beta basements were originally intended, but lost during the re-development.

The graphics in the original version look more like graphics seen in “The Urbz” and “The Sims Bustin Out”, which makes it possible the early version may of been using the same engine as those 2 titles, as they were pretty advanced for being console games.

Although the game went into redevelopment, alot of features from the lost build was restored, such as most of the furniture shown in the images and videos of the lost build, music and sounds. Additionally, Weather features like rain, was present in the lost build, but not in the final build. This feature was later restored in The Sims 2 Seasons.

The game was initially confirmed to release in early 2004. But due to the redevelopment the date was delayed until September 2004, which EA called “Final Touches”.

Sounds about right, and even though it would be incomplete I would love to get my hands on a beta version of the game.
  • cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    I had never heard the fire rumor, but I knew abut the power outages.

They mention it in that fun little game to play when the basegame is installing (just moved all my ts2 stuff to a new computer about a week ago)

If I remember there was 33. Or at least that's the only answer of the three choices I can remember from the installation game.
    cleo00 wrote: »
    I had never heard the fire rumor, but I knew abut the power outages.

They mention it in that fun little game to play when the basegame is installing (just moved all my ts2 stuff to a new computer about a week ago)

If I remember there was 33. Or at least that's the only answer of the three choices I can remember from the installation game.

Oh yeah, I remember that game. It would've been cool if they had made one for the Sims 3 or the Sims 4.
  • SimeggrollsSimeggrolls Posts: 637 Member
    That's what im saying people blew it out of proportion and im glad the beta wasn't released it was ugly. And at that age it all happened I was a child not really worried about the internet im just happy with the game.
    That's what im saying people blew it out of proportion and im glad the beta wasn't released it was ugly. And at that age it all happened I was a child not really worried about the internet im just happy with the game.

A server fire is not a small thing. Nor blown out of proportion. No one ever said it was a huge office fire burning down an office. All their work was on those servers. They also lost titles of work to other games. It wasn't blown out of proportion. They had to start over and were able to save some things like objects (furniture) but they had to redo the graphics, animations, and all that other stuff like code of how they would act etc. TS2 was plagued with many problems including those 33 power outages (servers need power and so do computers, too many power surges you lose your HDD) and we never once heard 'it's too hard and it's too expensive' they just plowed ahead and were able to build a brilliant game the franchise hasn't seen since. TS3 is an amazing game but TS4's excuse is always it's too hard and takes too long and too expensive. The old team would never say that to the public. Theirs were not the to reason why but just do or die. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JULES1111JULES1111 Posts: 4,489 Member

A server fire is not a small thing. Nor blown out of proportion. No one ever said it was a huge office fire burning down an office. All their work was on those servers. They also lost titles of work to other games. It wasn't blown out of proportion. They had to start over and were able to save some things like objects (furniture) but they had to redo the graphics, animations, and all that other stuff like code of how they would act etc. TS2 was plagued with many problems including those 33 power outages (servers need power and so do computers, too many power surges you lose your HDD) and we never once heard 'it's too hard and it's too expensive' they just plowed ahead and were able to build a brilliant game the franchise hasn't seen since. TS3 is an amazing game but TS4's excuse is always it's too hard and takes too long and too expensive. The old team would never say that to the public. Theirs were not the to reason why but just do or die. :p

Indeed! What we need are people with THAT kind of determination to be working on Sims, not the excuse a month brigade :|
    edited January 2016
    Nevermind

Look cinebar people are blowing it out of proportion that's all I see people saying "omg the sims 2 was lost in an office fire I wish we still had this one". Um it was the beta game and it did not look good and I said what I said I am happy with the finished product okay ? Have a nice day.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016

They did have a server fire and lost some files hence why cars were not in the base game but were showed at the beta version it also had a better shadowing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5IoC1TXw40
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Look cinebar people are blowing it out of proportion that's all I see people saying "omg the sims 2 was lost in an office fire I wish we still had this one". Um it was the beta game and it did not look good and I said what I said I am happy with the finished product okay ? Have a nice day.

Haven't seen anyone in this thread blow it out of proportion.

People in this thread are going: I wish EA still had people like that working on Sims 4. Then maybe we'd also have toddlers in the game along with everything else. Because they wouldn't complain about how hard it is, they would crack down and add it.
    @Seera1024 Sigh.. i did not say this thread iv'e seen people say it many times on different websites. I said the same thing months ago about the team from the sims 2. Many young people are now on the sims 4 team giving other devs influence of the young adult lifestyle in the sims 4 they don't care about family. young people only really live for themselves these days the sims 4 will never be a good simulation game. It's a false stereotype of all young people.
    Sigzy05 wrote: »

They did have a server fire and lost some files hence why cars were not in the base game but were showed at the beta version it also had a better shadowing.

Iv'e seen those videos before and read all about it. I don't care for the beta game im happy with what was released.
  • Seera1024Seera1024 Posts: 3,629 Member

Iv'e seen those videos before and read all about it. I don't care for the beta game im happy with what was released.

Doesn't mean others didn't like what they saw and aren't happy the beta was lost. And to them, the fire would be a big deal, because it meant they didn't get what they felt may have been a better Sims 2 once all of the polish was done to the game. And we'll never know which would have been the better game.

But in the posts I've seen related to it, I haven't seen anyone blow it out of proportion, so maybe you can provide a link to someone who has blown it out of proportion in your eyes. Because I haven't seen any, personally.
    Seera1024 wrote: »

Doesn't mean others didn't like what they saw and aren't happy the beta was lost. And to them, the fire would be a big deal, because it meant they didn't get what they felt may have been a better Sims 2 once all of the polish was done to the game. And we'll never know which would have been the better game.

But in the posts I've seen related to it, I haven't seen anyone blow it out of proportion, so maybe you can provide a link to someone who has blown it out of proportion in your eyes. Because I haven't seen any, personally.

Hmmm let's see we got back weather back. The beta is just that the beta ! we did not miss out on anything we got everything that was suppose to be in the sims 2. If the beta was ever released it would have looked like a console game i doubt it would have still survived to this day. I don't have links i said 'Websites' i have encountered over the years. This is not the sims 4 this is the sims 2 i still love till this day the game is just simply awesome. things happen for a reason and they improved on it now we have the awesome game that is still surviving.
    edited January 2016

Hmmm let's see we got back weather back. The beta is just that the beta ! we did not miss out on anything we got everything that was suppose to be in the sims 2. If the beta was ever released it would have looked like a console game i doubt it would have still survived to this day. I don't have links i said 'Websites' i have encountered over the years. This is not the sims 4 this is the sims 2 i still love till this day the game is just simply awesome. things happen for a reason and they improved on it now we have the awesome game that is still surviving.

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/Unused_accessories

http://sims.wikia.com/wiki/The_Sims_2#Beta_Version
    The Sims 2 Beta is an unreleased "test" version of The Sims 2. Notably, the graphics greatly improved between the beta and the final version. There are many screenshots and video previews that show images of the earlier version of the game, before it was released. Some screenshots and videos featured many unused hairstyles, such as beehive and French braid hairstyles, as well as unreleased neighborhoods such as Riverside, Waterside, and Sedona. The former two were mostly used in video previews, and Sedona was included as a terrain template in the final release.

The beta version contained several features that were intended to be included in the game, but were removed before the final release, mainly because of a server fire. Weather and rain were going to be in the base game. There were also going to be a few extra scenarios, including power outage, grandchild, engagement and Big Boss scenarios. All of these were removed from the game, but leftovers such as text strings and bits of code relating to them are still there. The HUD in the beta version resembles that of SimCity 4, but was changed to a different style when the game was released. Hospital births, shoplifting, and other things such as breakfast in bed were also intended to be in the game, but were cut out almost entirely and tiny bits of code are left.

The Sims 2 Beta is an unreleased "test" version of The Sims 2. Notably, the graphics greatly improved between the beta and the final version. There are many screenshots and video previews that show images of the earlier version of the game, before it was released. Some screenshots and videos featured many unused hairstyles, such as beehive and French braid hairstyles, as well as unreleased neighborhoods such as Riverside, Waterside, and Sedona. The former two were mostly used in video previews, and Sedona was included as a terrain template in the final release.

The beta version contained several features that were intended to be included in the game, but were removed before the final release, mainly because of a server fire. Weather and rain were going to be in the base game. There were also going to be a few extra scenarios, including power outage, grandchild, engagement and Big Boss scenarios. All of these were removed from the game, but leftovers such as text strings and bits of code relating to them are still there. The HUD in the beta version resembles that of SimCity 4, but was changed to a different style when the game was released. Hospital births, shoplifting, and other things such as breakfast in bed were also intended to be in the game, but were cut out almost entirely and tiny bits of code are left.

I already have the lost accessories downloaded and alot of stuff cut out from the expansion packs i am not new to the sims 2 i read about all of that literally i am a sims 2 fan. I like what was released from 2004-2008.

I already have the lost accessories downloaded and alot of stuff cut out from the expansion packs i am not new to the sims 2 i read about all of that literally i am a sims 2 fan. I like what was released from 2004-2008.

My point is the beta version had a lot of content, and most of those unused accessories aren't complete enough to make a mesh out of them so they can be restored. Riverside and Waterside were two complete neighborhoods, both luckily having enough data to attempt restoration. Those scenarios would have been amazing in the final game, and it's a shame they're too corrupted to try and bring back. Hospital births, shoplifting and breakfast bed would have been great too in the final version, and it was still in beta mode at the time, so remember it wasn't going to look exactly like that upon release. So basically had there not been a fire, the Sims 2 would have likely been entirely different. There certainly would be much more content and features, and I think the graphics once polished up wouldn't even look that different from today.

My point is the beta version had a lot of content, and most of those unused accessories aren't complete enough to make a mesh out of them so they can be restored. Riverside and Waterside were two complete neighborhoods, both luckily having enough data to attempt restoration. Those scenarios would have been amazing in the final game, and it's a shame they're too corrupted to try and bring back. Hospital births, shoplifting and breakfast bed would have been great too in the final version, and it was still in beta mode at the time, so remember it wasn't going to look exactly like that upon release. So basically had there not been a fire, the Sims 2 would have likely been entirely different. There certainly would be much more content and features, and I think the graphics once polished up wouldn't even look that different from today.

Exactly the sims 2 was polished and released. I had no problem playing out the stories that were given to us. I only have a few hairs and furniture that were lost items the items looked outdated, blocky and ugly anyway. I know about what happened i read about it over the years what im saying is the whole place never burned down like people are saying. That is all.

Hey, thanks for sharing that! I never saw that it looked amazing! What Tim said there is what is so special about TS2 is they have awareness of everything around them and what happens. That couldn't be more true. And still the best game for action and reaction and being aware of what is happening around them.
  • residentevilobresidentevilob Posts: 141 Member
    No. I did extensive research on the beta and they did lose content. The fire happened and it WAS rebuilt from scratch. This was all even confirmed by a former redwood shores employee. I literally did a few months research on this only because i know people in possession of pre release wip builds which i won't be talking about here.
  • Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited January 2016

So?.. I still very much love TS2 myself I just wanted to share the info.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • FlyingPotato659FlyingPotato659 Posts: 1,473 Member
    Plus dont forget the fact that they had the rain weather added in the sims 2 base game, if they put that effort on producing it then why would they remove it?

So?.. I still very much love TS2 myself I just wanted to share the info.

I didn't mind that you shared it I was just saying I was well aware of what happened.no need for rudeness and my love for the sims 2 never went away...