Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to The Sims 3 Website / Store

Comments

• Options
    KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    Karritz wrote: »
    I think right now they are mostly concentrating on forcing all of the PC users to accept the 1.69 update.

I have a PC so if I ever get contaminated by that update you won't see me around here any more. I'll be doing something other than playing games made by EA.

Just uninstall origin off your pc . You dont need it.

I probably will eventually.

I'll keep it for now as I still might want to play something else that is available only through Origin.

But I'm spending less and less time playing games now days.

I think I've got everything I need to reinstall it all if the worst happens.

Like you I have everything should I need to reinstall but Im safe right now with my downloads since I installed before the update and have the old download that did not require origin

I have the old version of the disks plus disks for all expansions and stuff packs plus installer files for most of them plus patches.

Hopefully I e got enough to keep me going until I don't want to bother with it any more.

I bought up most of the discs, still working on getting the rest. You also still have the option to use steam and if it becomes to much of a hassle I will stop playing and walk away. Im already done with sims 4 . I have no use for origin

Considering all the carry on to destroy Sims 3 for as many people as possible, I'm ready to walk away from it all as well.

Well my game is still good for now and the store is working without the patch. I just got a notice if I would like to add the patch and said no and store is still installing anyway

It might be a good time to be sure you have a good copy of everything backed up.

Going on recent performance they will make their changes and let us find out about the consequences at our leisure.
  • Options
    phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I think right now they are mostly concentrating on forcing all of the PC users to accept the 1.69 update.

I have a PC so if I ever get contaminated by that update you won't see me around here any more. I'll be doing something other than playing games made by EA.

I'll keep it for now as I still might want to play something else that is available only through Origin.

Like you I have everything should I need to reinstall but Im safe right now with my downloads since I installed before the update and have the old download that did not require origin

I have the old version of the disks plus disks for all expansions and stuff packs plus installer files for most of them plus patches.

Hopefully I e got enough to keep me going until I don't want to bother with it any more.

I bought up most of the discs, still working on getting the rest. You also still have the option to use steam and if it becomes to much of a hassle I will stop playing and walk away. Im already done with sims 4 . I have no use for origin

Considering all the carry on to destroy Sims 3 for as many people as possible, I'm ready to walk away from it all as well.

Well my game is still good for now and the store is working without the patch. I just got a notice if I would like to add the patch and said no and store is still installing anyway

It might be a good time to be sure you have a good copy of everything backed up.

Going on recent performance they will make their changes and let us find out about the consequences at our leisure.

I do have copies. I dont know that they can take away the store because of steam users. The 1.69 patch locks people into origin which they can not do with steam . They cant force steam users to switch to origin if they try Im not sure if that would be legal or not
  • Options

I wish this was true, but my game won't launch without going through origin. :disappointed:

I feel sorry for those of you who have a base game tied to origin. They are creating more mess rather than fixing things they should
  • Options
    ScottDemonScottDemon Posts: 504 Member

I do have copies. I dont know that they can take away the store because of steam users. The 1.69 patch locks people into origin which they can not do with steam . They cant force steam users to switch to origin if they try Im not sure if that would be legal or not

No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.
    I'm just a little bit crazy LOL
    Okay actually I'm totally and completely nuts LOL :p
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    edited January 2016
    ScottDemon wrote: »
    No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.

I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.
  • Options
    TreyNutz wrote: »

I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.

Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether
  • Options
    bee1977bee1977 Posts: 613 Member
    @ScottDemon are you speaking as a fellow Canadian, or are you just really knowledgeable about Canadian laws? :D
    Origin: BeeC1977
    Twitter: @Bee77
  • Options
    bee1977 wrote: »
    @ScottDemon are you speaking as a fellow Canadian, or are you just really knowledgeable about Canadian laws? :D

Actually I used to work for the US government and I'm currently Head of Security for major lab (which I can't name) that has contracts with both US and Canadian Agencies
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member

Ubisoft is a Canadian based game company and are exempt within reason from certain laws they are a different story altogether

Unless exempted by a treaty they'd still be subject to U.S. laws. The comment was more geared to the technical possibility rather than anything legal.
  • Options
    CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    edited January 2016

I admit I havn't touched my Origin installed game (which is still at 1.67) since buying everything from Steam and throwing it on my second laptop, Steam is working just peachy for me right now. I do have all the discs including the 2009 original ready for a 1.67 patch install if anything goes way bonkers, I do have to download and save the patch though.
  • Options

Unless exempted by a treaty they'd still be subject to U.S. laws. The comment was more geared to the technical possibility rather than anything legal.

All foreign companies are allowed under certain provisions to maintain some direct or indirect control over their products that are Trademarked. And I do realize you were referring to a technical possibility but EA would if they tried violate the Fair Business Act and several other laws the most they can do and they already do that is require Steam users to agree to their EULA and/or make an EA/Origin account but whether they actually use and/or install Origin would be up to them.
  • Options

I admit I havn't touched my Origin installed game (which is still at 1.67) since buying everything from Steam and throwing it on my second laptop, Steam is working just peachy for me right now. I do have all the discs including the 2009 original ready for a 1.67 patch install if anything goes way bonkers, I do have to download and save the patch though.

I would save the patch on a flash drive just in case
  • Options
    Imabrat999Imabrat999 Posts: 3 New Member
    > @TreyNutz said:
    > ScottDemon wrote: »
    >
    > No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.

Actually EA did try and found out it was not legal which is why they no longer offer their newer games on Steam the only games they offer on Steam are the older ones from 2007 to 2013.
    As for Ubisoft they are foreign company I do work with Copyright and Trademark law foreign companies are able to have some partial indirect control
  • Options
    Imabrat999 wrote: »
    > @TreyNutz said:
    > ScottDemon wrote: »
    >
    > No they can't force Steam users on to Origin or take away Store that would violate so many State and Federal Laws they would never get away with it. Plus Valve wouldn't just sit back and let them do it either.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I understand several games on Steam from Ubisoft require both Steam and Uplay to run. If true, then it seems to me it's possible EA could do the same with Origin.

Actually EA did try and found out it was not legal which is why they no longer offer their newer games on Steam the only games they offer on Steam are the older ones from 2007 to 2013.
    As for Ubisoft they are foreign company I do work with Copyright and Trademark law foreign companies are able to have some partial indirect control

The created origin to compete with steam. They want all their games exclusive to EA and locked into origin. Why they wont sell their games to steam and why we have this plum 1.69 patch update.
  • Options
    06Bon0606Bon06 Posts: 11,614 Member
    My favorite part is how the exchange has been broken for a month now. :)
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

That could be a Regional problem I haven't had any problem with the exchange
  • Options
    06Bon06 wrote: »

That could be a Regional problem I haven't had any problem with the exchange
    A lot of people had and I'm sure they aren't all in my country ahah. Mine started yesterday, my studio isn't updating when I upload new stuff.
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    The way they have the Regions
    Region 1 Americas
    Region 2 Worldwide
    Region 3 Asia
    Region 5 Japan
    Region 7 Digital Download (Origin)
    But it could also be a problem with the servers to some countries
  • Options
    The way they have the Regions
    Region 1 Americas
    Region 2 Worldwide
    Region 3 Asia
    Region 5 Japan
    Region 7 Digital Download (Origin)

Then it must be a worldwide problem hah
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    Are you in Europe? I think there might be a problem with the EA servers for some of those countries.
    *Edit*
    Just tried downloading something it went very slow usually a sign of DDoS attack considering how things have been going it wouldn't surprise me
  • Options
    bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    Weird, the exchange has not updated for me since mid dec when they did the update. It is still showing date created as 12/15/15 and nothing since then. I know people can still upload to the exchange, but, it doesn't show on the exchange category page. Was showing up in the studio's so people could at least get url to showcase their build. I've heard a few that don't get it in their studio though.

My conspiracy theory part of me thinks it is a way to show to the ptbs that the interest in sims3 is declining by borking the exchange and not seeing all the lovely things folks are still building. The other part of me thinks they just don't care or it is too low on the totem pole to be fixed. I've PM'd drake about it previously. Maybe if more PM or post on her page it would get fixed?
  • Options
    Are you in Europe? I think there might be a problem with the EA servers for some of those countries.
    *Edit*
    Just tried downloading something it went very slow usually a sign of DDoS attack considering how things have been going it wouldn't surprise me

I'm in africa. :)
  • Options
    bekkasan wrote: »
    Weird, the exchange has not updated for me since mid dec when they did the update. It is still showing date created as 12/15/15 and nothing since then. I know people can still upload to the exchange, but, it doesn't show on the exchange category page. Was showing up in the studio's so people could at least get url to showcase their build. I've heard a few that don't get it in their studio though.

My conspiracy theory part of me thinks it is a way to show to the ptbs that the interest in sims3 is declining by borking the exchange and not seeing all the lovely things folks are still building. The other part of me thinks they just don't care or it is too low on the totem pole to be fixed. I've PM'd drake about it previously. Maybe if more PM or post on her page it would get fixed?

I feel the same. My build isn't showing in my studio and it's frustrating to say the very least.
  • Options
    *Edit*

Its a problem

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/865619/the-exchange-is-borked#latest

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869519/problem-with-the-exchange-since-december#latest
  • Options
    edited January 2016
    *Edit*

Its a problem

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/865619/the-exchange-is-borked#latest

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/869519/problem-with-the-exchange-since-december#latest

Thanks just took a look at those.
    And I didn't like what I read looks like they are going to let it die