Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Update to Sims 3 on Origin + CAW

SimGuruDrakeSimGuruDrake Posts: 1,648 SimGuru (retired)
Hello everyone!

Today we had a small update to the Origin Client for The Sims 3 that will enable the users who took part in our last Origin client update to now use the updated CAW tool.

I want to reiterate that this version of the CAW tool is ONLY for those who have downloaded the Origin update (that means that in order to use this version of the CAW tool you need to have the previous Origin Client updated PLUS the client update we released today otherwise this tool will not work for you.)

After you download the client update please visit this link to download the updated CAW tool: http://lvlt.thesims3.com//content/global/downloads/caw/ts3caw.exe

If you did NOT take part in the previous update and did not download the update today please use this version of the CAW tool:
thesims3.com/game/tools/world

We will be updating the tools page on TheSims3.com with this new CAW tool soon and will update this page once it has been.
Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• FabahanFabahan Posts: 1 New Member
    Hi there,

Ever since this update, loading my saves is taking absolutely ages (over 30 minutes). It never used to take this long and the game ran fine with all expansions installed. Once i installed the update, it's become unplayable.

Any advice on how i can fix this/go back to the old version?
  • BloatyheadBloatyhead Posts: 2 New Member
    I can't load any of my saved games either post the update. It crashes and gives me an error message.
  • BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    @Bloatyhead what error message do you see?

@Fabahan and @Bloatyhead do you have any custom content in your save games or use any mods? If you use mods, try removing them temporarily and see if you still have the same loading issue.

Does this same long loading happen if you create a new save game then try to load that?

How old are the save games? Are they from pre-1.67 versions of The Sims 3 or are they from the last update (1.69.36?)
  • columbia93columbia93 Posts: 319 Member
    Well, thanks to the stupid little update, Sims 3 no longer works.

I've been launching my game directly from TS3EP11.exe in order to bypass Launcher. Yesterday, as in all the days before, that worked great. Last night, however, I opened Origin to just check things out and today, I can't access my Sims 3 game.

First, no matter what .exe I use, the Launcher opens.

Second, when I try to start the game from the Launcher, I get the message about the unofficial game mod that doesn't match. Again, yesterday it worked...today it doesn't. Launcher says 1.69. Is this new? I'm fairly certain 1.67 was the last patch. If it is new, WTH? The game has been abandoned since S4 came out over a year ago, is no longer supported and most of the creators are gone. There is EVERY chance that most of my mods are no longer viable. Is this another ploy by EA to force us to TS4? That ain't gonna happen.

Third, I opened the Launcher and discovered a new tab for Expansion Packs. A message pops up saying that I need to install them 1 or 2 at a time to make sure they install correctly. What? Yesterday, EVERYTHING was installed! (I have all EPs and SPs and when I replaced my hard drive this summer, chose to install everything via Origin as it was easier.)

Fourth, if I open Origin, even after the big update yesterday, it still goes through the motions of updating, no matter how many times I open and reopen it! I click to play the Sims 3 and it simply throws me over to the Launcher again.

So, how do I get my game back to working exactly as it did yesterday. The ONLY thing that changed was the Origin update, which seems to have changed the Launcher. The Launcher isn't recognizing the packs I've installed through Origin. I do not want to have to reinstall everything nor do I want to play the Launcher's game and "install" packs that are already installed and then have to worry what sort of adverse effect it will have on my game. I don't even think I can reinstall to fix it because some of my packs were purchased through Origin so the patch problem would follow me.
  • BazajayteeBazajaytee Posts: 33 Member
    If you see 1.6.9 now but didn't before it means your version of the game was updated. There are a number of points where you can decline it and even a new EULA you have to accept before it installs. Someone must have clicked those on your machine to get the new version.

1.69 only runs through the launcher, you can't bypass it anymore with this version.
    Some mods do not work with 1.69 as some of the modding groups haven't updated their mods.

That message you describe sounds like the one about performance not that your packs are not installed. If your machine can run all the DLC then just select them all and click OK after selecting "Do not show this message again" and you'll keep playing as normal.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    And again, neither the November version nor this most recent one of Patch 1.69 breaks mods. It only affects core mods, of which there are about six in common usage, and its only impact is to display a core version mismatch warning. If a mod was intended for or works on 1.67, it will work on 1.69, either version.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    edited January 2016
    Bazajaytee wrote: »
    If you see 1.6.9 now but didn't before it means your version of the game was updated. There are a number of points where you can decline it and even a new EULA you have to accept before it installs. Someone must have clicked those on your machine to get the new version.

1.69 only runs through the launcher, you can't bypass it anymore with this version.
    Some mods do not work with 1.69 as some of the modding groups haven't updated their mods.

That message you describe sounds like the one about performance not that your packs are not installed. If your machine can run all the DLC then just select them all and click OK after selecting "Do not show this message again" and you'll keep playing as normal.

I cannot fathom why they would change the game LONG after they've abandoned it. Bypassing the Launcher? What about that can't they stand?

As for the patch - no one is on this PC other than myself. There was no asking about it - it updated automatically from Origin as an Origin update. (Launcher is set to NOT automatically update but I've read that it was an Origin update/patch.) I had no idea that my game had patched....why would I? Like I said, EA quit those of us on TS3 and then over a year later decides to screw with us? It wasn't until I started looking around that I realized the game had a new patch. I've gone to AwesomeMod and Nraas to download...unfortunately the latter means you have to go through each and every one just to see what changed because there doesn't appear to be a master list of what was updated. That's time wasted...but so what, right EA? There are some hacks that artists had a difficult time patching to 1.67 because TS4 had already come out and people had left. But why would EA consider this?

Additionally, all of the Packs are selected in the Manager - not knowing what EA had done I had no idea why they would be like that. Based on the way the completely asinine Launcher barely works, I assumed that a box checked meant an action needed to be taken. Leave it to EA to not get that right either. Here's a thought (new concept, I know), why aren't the installed packs greyed out like all of the OTHER installed content? I hate the Launcher - never worked well and certainly never worked the way it was supposed to.

EA continues to be the way they've pretty much been all along. I've looked around a little bit and see that it appears you cannot even use EIG with the new CAW....please, please tell me how that is a fix? 69 patches and every single time they screw up nearly as much as they fix and this is no exception. I had thought, however, that 1.67 would be the final one and I could merrily go about playing without any further interference. What's the emoji for "Disgusting shake of my head"?

Post edited by SimStaffJessica on
  • NeonHighwaysNeonHighways Posts: 1,508 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    And again, neither the November version nor this most recent one of Patch 1.69 breaks mods. It only affects core mods, of which there are about six in common usage, and its only impact is to display a core version mismatch warning. If a mod was intended for or works on 1.67, it will work on 1.69, either version.

Will ErrorTrap be updated again? Everything was fine, and now if I want to have it, the game minimizes itself at launch and I need to click it again... If it wasn't another bothersome step for launching the game, now the launcher don't remember i told it to not ask me again if I want to play with less expansions. If they need to update again to fix that then it's more work, and the hq+no glow mod probably don't work properly again. I was so settled, and now I'd rather play TS4. Can't they just leave TS3? (after fixing the dialog in the launcher, of course).
  • LadyAngelchanLadyAngelchan Posts: 17 Member
    edited January 2016
    I have a something to say.. After I got an update before playing.. So each time I hit play it ask me to uncheck the packs I have to play and I want play with all the packs I own. So why that? :(
    Post edited by LadyAngelchan on
  • james64468james64468 Posts: 1,276 Member
    I have a something to say.. After I got an update before playing.. how each time I hit pay it ak me to uncheck the packs I have to play and I want play with all the packs I own. So why that? :(

It does it on mine to. I make sure on my other hard drive to avoid the bad update.
    igazor wrote: »

Will ErrorTrap be updated again? Everything was fine, and now if I want to have it, the game minimizes itself at launch and I need to click it again... If it wasn't another bothersome step for launching the game, now the launcher don't remember i told it to not ask me again if I want to play with less expansions. If they need to update again to fix that then it's more work, and the hq+no glow mod probably don't work properly again. I was so settled, and now I'd rather play TS4. Can't they just leave TS3? (after fixing the dialog in the launcher, of course).
    Yes, of course ErrorTrap will be updated for the re-release of 1.69. Give us a day or so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!

I have a something to say.. After I got an update before playing.. So each time I hit play it ask me to uncheck the packs I have to play and I want play with all the packs I own. So why that? :(

I'm with you on that! I used to be able to click one icon and have my game load (without the launcher) and now it is a multi-step process of inefficiency and bugs. So, now, of course, I click the icon and it brings up the Launcher (after several minutes). I click to play and it brings up the Pack Manager tab and a message that I should only play a few at a time (even though I've been playing with ALL of them since ITF). If I check the box to no longer be notified and then click OK, it takes me back to the Pack Manager and NOT to play. The only way I can play now is to click CANCEL on the Pack Manager notification. AND, because I have to click CANCEL, it does NOT save my preference for NOT being notified anymore! Frickin-fracking EA bug!

You guys have a great game but somehow you always miss the boat on how to make it more playable. I want to be able to go back and bypass the Launcher, especially now with this incredibly senseless bug. If you are going to force me into a multi-step start, then at least get it right. You 🐸🐸🐸🐸 should know that the notification should be ignored IF someone chooses NOT to select just a few packs. Allowing the notification to be turned off when only a few packs are chosen is counter-intuitive as those people will not longer be notified to install further packs! Since I'm choosing to play ALL packs, I should be able to turn off notifications because THEY DO NOT APPLY TO ME! Doesn't anyone over there think anything through???
  • ZanderMagicManZanderMagicMan Posts: 25 Member
    edited January 2016
    The new CAW works, but I can't get my previous saves on it. I've literally spent hours and hours creating worlds and now it appears I'm going to loose them. How do I get the new CAW to recognise my saved worlds?

p.s. I backed up the 'world builder cache' and tried to copy it back into 'documents/electronic arts/ the sims 3 create a world tool'. Is this still the location or has the new CAW changed?

**** Solved it myself! It was the user tool data I needed to copy in, not just the worlds cache!
    Post edited by ZanderMagicMan on
    Zander, are you able to use "Edit In Game" with the CAW? That's what I'd heard wasn't working.... Glad you were able to get your world's back in. I can remember having that problem when my hard drive crashed and I think I had to open a new world, save and exit, then copy the old one in. (It's been a while so I really can't remember if that was in CAW or the game itself.....Oh well, keeping my fingers crossed!)
  • srHz86srHz86 Posts: 54 Member
    After having to update to this version of CAW, store world objects no longer show up. Is there a way to fix this?
  • Aryvara7980Aryvara7980 Posts: 94 Member
    I honestly believe they r trying to screw up the Sims3 on purpose so that way we all quit playing the old game and play the newer game, Sims4. Well I HATE Sims4....Sims3 is WAY better. They should stop screwing with Sims3 so we can play it!
  • SovazSovaz Posts: 51 Member
    > @Aryvara7980 said:
    > I honestly believe they r trying to screw up the Sims3 on purpose so that way we all quit playing the old game and play the newer game, Sims4. Well I HATE Sims4....Sims3 is WAY better. They should stop screwing with Sims3 so we can play it!

I haven't tried S4 but I'm not willing to give any more money to EA because of their treatment of S3. It's pathetic that S3 should still be so bad after all these years that they had time to fix it. It would appear that they only care about selling a game rather than making it playable.
  • vturner1972vturner1972 Posts: 11 New Member
    In the time I have been back on my computer which is nearly two weeks. I had to get it reset due to viruses. Anyway I have had to reinstall Origin and Sims 3 close to a dozen times due to this stupid update. This last time it blanked out my screen. I tried Sims 4 during the 48 hour thing and hated it!
  • ValkiriyuValkiriyu Posts: 96 New Member
    On Friday 2/26/16 I purchased The Sims 3 Showtime at a local Target. Due to the fact my disc drive isn’t in the best shape, I had to register and install my game through Origin. However, not only had Origin download a bunch of other stuff into my game that prevents me from playing it offline (that is to say: without having to log into Origin in the first place), but now the Create a World software refuses to work.
    I talked with numerous Game Advisors who tried to help me run the game and fix my problem. At this point the base game and all of my other expansions work fine… But they still haven’t helped me fixing my Create a World problem. Every time I started up Create a World (which had been working fine prior to when I purchased Showtime) I got this error message: “The Sims 3 Create a World – Beta has crashed! Exception Information: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.”
    One Game Advisor (who helped me a ton getting the base game working again) told me that as a last resort I should just uninstall and reinstall Create a World… So I did…
    I also discovered that the Sims 3 Create a World download page had changed; now offering 2 versions of the software: One compatible with the 1.67 version of the game and one compatible with the 1.69 version of the game. But now I bring you to my main problem:
    The 1.69 version download must be broken…
    Every time I try downloading it I always get a Windows pop up saying “The signature is corrupt or invalid” This happens every single time.
    The 1.67 version WILL download, BUT IT WILL CRASH WITH AN ERROR MESSAGE UPON LAUNCHING THE PROGRAM.
    I’m on my last legs trying to get this software to work. I’ve posted this very same issue I’m having on The Sims 3 Steam forums as well and I’m tired of talking to Game Advisors who seem to miss the point of my question entirely. On 2/26/16 alone, I had opened numerous cases that have yet to be fully resolved! At this point I just want the program to install and run properly and I’m even considering downloading it from another site that has a working 1.69 version download since THE OFFICIAL SIMS 3 SITE download for the 1.69 compatible version of CAW doesn’t seem to want to work or perhaps is bugged...
    Please help…
    @Valkiriyu - You do need the special 1.69 version of CAW to work with that patch, the 1.67 version will never work. The invalid signature error indicates that the download process went bad or you are having a browser error (Internet Explorer). Have you tried using a different browser (such as Firefox or Chrome)? Or can you try, somehow, downloading from a different location if you have such access anyplace? Perhaps try using the link SimGuruDrake provides in her top post on this thread instead of the one on the CAW product page -- although it does seem to link to the same file, it might somehow make a difference.

And yes, Patch 1.69 requires that you sign into Origin every time in order to play although you can do so with Origin running in offline mode. That's kind of the point of the patch, there isn't any choice involved any longer.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • AsileeAsilee Posts: 68 Member
    Since it looks like I'm not allowed to make a new post, maybe I can post it here:

The Sims 3 Won't Launch Because I don't have Access
    I've had The Sims 3 Collector's Edition since day one of release, but now, for some reason, I cannot play through origin or download anything I recently buy from their website without buying Access. It's bad ENOUGH that I can no longer play this game offline like I could in the past - without having to be online to go OFFFLINE - in those off chances I'm without internet and needed something to play. But now I can't get anything to download without having to buy access? I can't even load the game? *No, I do not have any content that was free through access - in relation to The Sims 3 - installed. So...

Am I missing something?
    edited August 2016
    @Asilee - Sorry you're having problems there, but I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are saying. You have no Internet access? Internet access is required to authenticate the game (once) and to tell Origin to work in Offline Mode.

But then you went on to say you can't download anything without Internet access. Download means receive data from another computer (usually over the Internet). Of course you cannot download from the Internet if you don't have a working Internet connection. But maybe this isn't quite what you meant. Is your game installed already? Can you play it at all?
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • BigToddHeadBigToddHead Posts: 8 New Member
    I have been playing the Sims franchises for years, starting with 2, then 3, then 4. When 4 did their June "transgender" patch, it completely screwed up my game. And in requesting that patch removed, you can't do this? Come on, that is a load of 🐸🐸🐸🐸! Be honest and say you won't! I will not purchase any more packs or download any further patches. It truly occurs to me that Maxis does not wish for me, as the end user and customer, to enjoy my purchase as I would like to. I recently was unpacking some boxes and found all my Sims 3 discs, and since 4 no longer has my interests, I decided to reinstall and play. Little did I know that now Maxis has screwed this up also with their cute little patches, and now I can not get any mods to run, even those patched to 1.69! Thank You Maxis for screwing up what used to be good. And EA, in communicating with your advisors, I can say that your customer service is severely lacking the service, and the condescending tone of some of your "advisors" is most unappreciated. I am not referring to all, I have talked with a very few who have been helpful, but you should screen your advisors better! Unless driving your customers away is the goal. Bad service, unwanted game patches, etc..... Maybe time to remove all Sims from my computer and search out a better gaming experience, am sure there is one out there. If not, I am positive there will be one soon, from what I keep reading.
  • littletimea672littletimea672 Posts: 17 New Member
    I had reinstall all my sims 3 games, but the Create World Edit In Game STILL DOES NOT WORKING!!!!! I got a message with weird words and my own world is not loading in. EA please help!!!!! I can not to use the world editor for a year, but I would like to create worlds again!!!!!!!!!
  • littletimea672littletimea672 Posts: 17 New Member
    I have the 1.69 latest patch and the world editor 1.69 version
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top