Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is spending money to get VIP status worth it?

WinMacSims3WinMacSims3 Posts: 1,610 Member
Recently The Sims FreePlay introduced a feature called VIP. VIP has perks like bonus money, bonus allowance, Rainbow Cake Slices, Time Extensions Tokens, etc. However, there's a catch, you have to spend real money in FreePlay to unlock VIP.

The problem with VIP is you have to spend real money on purchases like Simoleons and Lifestyle Points (although there are permanent purchases but only 5 that contain clothes and furniture) which money would probably be wasted on considering FreePlay is a Freemium game. Also not helped is there is The Sims 4 or The Sims 3 which is probably more worth spending money on those games than FreePlay.

Do you think VIP is really worth it?
Origin ID: GothicSimmer, YouTube: GothicSimmer

Comments

• Options
    ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    edited January 2016
    I guess that it is a matter of taste. But I won't use real money on such things. The reason is that if you spend money on (temporary) in-app purchases then the free game will soon be even more costly than paid games usually are. So my principle is that I only use real money to buy a game or to upgrade a free limited version of a game to its full version. Other ingame purchases I always ignore.

If a "free" game (like the Sims Freeplay) wasn't playable without using real money then I would just stop playing it. But fortunately it is :)
  • Options
    Currently FreePlay now allows 15 VIP levels but you need 12,000 points

I really do question is if VIP is worth it. The problem with FreePlay's VIP is you need to spend real money which there are other games that are better spending money on especially The Sims 4. TS4's base game and Expansion Packs cost $60 and $40, respectively and it's probably worth spending money to get The Sims 4 rather than spend money on FreePlay to unlock VIP levels.

People usually have a principle to only spend real money to buy a game, purchase DLC, or upgrade a edition. If money was spent on temporary in-app purchases, FreePlay would be more expensive than The Sims 3 or The Sims 4.

The most expensive in-app purchase is $99.99 and gives you 500 VIP points. You would have to purchase the $100 purchase 24 times meaning that it would cost $2400 to get VIP 15.
  • Options
    Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    I don't mind spending a little money now and then on FreePlay. I sure as heck am not spending any on 4, and I have all I will ever get for 3. I only have a few SP's missing for 3 but since it would require me to update to the latest patch, EA can keep those, too.
  • Options
    I just reached lvl 55 on my iPad Air 2 without spending real money at all and lvl 55 is the game's max lvl.

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet I am now at lvl 52 without using real money. So only 3 lvls left there too before I reach the max lvl.

So no. I don't think that using real money is neither necessary nor worth it. But I am still happy that some of the players pay because otherwise EA would stop the development of the game ;)

The freeware concept requires some players to pay for everybody else. This is a huge advantage for the majority who don't pay. But I am not really sure that I like this "freeware" concept anyway because it doesn't really seem to me to be fair.
  • Options
    Erpe wrote: »
    I just reached lvl 55 on my iPad Air 2 without spending real money at all and lvl 55 is the game's max lvl.

On my Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet I am now at lvl 52 without using real money. So only 3 lvls left there too before I reach the max lvl.

So no. I don't think that using real money is neither necessary nor worth it. But I am still happy that some of the players pay because otherwise EA would stop the development of the game ;)

The freeware concept requires some players to pay for everybody else. This is a huge advantage for the majority who don't pay. But I am not really sure that I like this "freeware" concept anyway because it doesn't really seem to me to be fair.

It's possible to play FreePlay without spending real money but the problem is that the game tends to convince you to spend money such as where a screen appears asking you to buy one of the currency packs and if you don't have enough currency (e.g., Simoleons) to purchase an object or build a building, the game asks if you want to buy the currency so it's possible to accidentally pay if not careful.

The one thing I dislike about free games is they restrict features such as requiring payment, two examples are FreePlay's VIP and those that cost real money and/or LP/SP. That means not paying won't allow you to use VIP features. Most paid games don't do that although DLC or Expansion Packs could be an equivalent to this notably The Sims and any game with Expansion Packs/DLC such as the Borderlands games. Although missing some features and content isn't bad in the PC/Mac games but it can be a problem with the Gallery/Exchange. As time progresses, it's possible for a Gallery/Exchange item to require many EPs/SPs/GPs to properly use them and it's even more worse with The Sims 3 Store in TS3 especially if the Store item is no longer obtainable such as the Dr. Pepper items, Origin exclusive items, and pre-order only items (Limited Edition) and don't forget The Sims 3 Katy Perry's Sweet Treats which EA no longer sells.

I think it's more worth spending money on TS3 or TS4 especially since TS4 tends to roll out new DLC about every month or two and TS3 has the Store content (most notably the Premium Content and Worlds) in addition to EPs and SPs. Both of them (or at least one of them) are worth spending money on to unlock content rather than spending money to get VIP points in FreePlay (and you have to spend $2400 to get VIP 15).
  • Options

It's possible to play FreePlay without spending real money but the problem is that the game tends to convince you to spend money such as where a screen appears asking you to buy one of the currency packs and if you don't have enough currency (e.g., Simoleons) to purchase an object or build a building, the game asks if you want to buy the currency so it's possible to accidentally pay if not careful.

The one thing I dislike about free games is they restrict features such as requiring payment, two examples are FreePlay's VIP and those that cost real money and/or LP/SP. That means not paying won't allow you to use VIP features. Most paid games don't do that although DLC or Expansion Packs could be an equivalent to this notably The Sims and any game with Expansion Packs/DLC such as the Borderlands games. Although missing some features and content isn't bad in the PC/Mac games but it can be a problem with the Gallery/Exchange. As time progresses, it's possible for a Gallery/Exchange item to require many EPs/SPs/GPs to properly use them and it's even more worse with The Sims 3 Store in TS3 especially if the Store item is no longer obtainable such as the Dr. Pepper items, Origin exclusive items, and pre-order only items (Limited Edition) and don't forget The Sims 3 Katy Perry's Sweet Treats which EA no longer sells.

I think it's more worth spending money on TS3 or TS4 especially since TS4 tends to roll out new DLC about every month or two and TS3 has the Store content (most notably the Premium Content and Worlds) in addition to EPs and SPs. Both of them (or at least one of them) are worth spending money on to unlock content rather than spending money to get VIP points in FreePlay (and you have to spend $2400 to get VIP 15).
    Compared to other free games the Sims Freeplay is one of the least aggressive games when we talk about ingame advertising. You would know that if you ever tried a free game from Game Insight or a similar company.

I agree that the prices in this game is so high that you shouldn't ever consider to use money on it. But again it isn't worth than other free games. All such games have a lot of ingame advertising and the prices are always uneasonably high. So if you don't have the strength to just ignore all the advertising then you shouldn't play such games (unless you are so wealthy that you don't need to care). I don't think that more than at most 10% use real money on such games. So those few people have to pay for everybody. Therefore the prices are high. I don't care about this if only very wealthy people pay the prices. But unfortunately I suspect that there are also poor people with a pathological gambling addiction who buy everything in such games and I absolutely don't like that.

I agree that the prices for SPs, GPs and EPs for TS3 and TS4 are more reasonable than the prices for downloads in free games. But the prices for other downloads for TS3 from the store were too high too.

I don't care if I miss some of the special quest rewards in the Sims Freeplay because they are never that important anyway. Besides that it is my experience that we will get them anyway for free if only we wait long enough and don't panic.

I could use VIP10 - but only because it would allow me to get yet another sim even though I already have the maximal 34 sims. But I don't even care to calculate how much real money that would cost me ;)
  • Options
    PraisePraise Posts: 1 New Member
    New here. I'm at level 50 in Freeplay on an iPad and an iPhone and haven't spent any real $ since the beginning (almost a year ago) when I figured out the scam. Learned a lot from following The Girl Who Games, most importantly how to quickly earn tons of simoleans with the cooking hobby, I just do it when watching TV. Also if you do the "Free" button that pops up once a day (look at the Active Tasks screen) you can get extra simoleans, XPs and LPS for running the game advertising videos (takes about 5 minutes). I make it a point to not buy anything that's advertised ;). If you do those things, send the sims to work every day and plant green beans a couple of times a week, collect your mail and daily rewards every day, it's surprising how fast everything adds up. Same thing with hobbies, set it and forget it and gradually add up skills. Also, the so-called special events appear to be recycled periodically, so I no longer feel it's imperative to do every single one. Really, the whole idea is to enjoy it, not be enslaved! So no, I don't think it's worth spending money on Perks of any kind! And BTW, if you have a phone and a tablet, play the game on both and become your own neighbor! I play the game as I enjoy designing my own homes, challenging my brain to find the best solution to achieve the goals, and just have fun. I can't sit at my desk to play TS3-4 because of back issues, so the mobile game is a good option. Just say No to throwing away $ to EA!
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I don't want to spend any money on this game, but I might later on down the road if there's a prize that I really want and I know I won't be able to finish the quest in time to get it.
  • Options
    Praise wrote: »
    New here. I'm at level 50 in Freeplay on an iPad and an iPhone and haven't spent any real $ since the beginning (almost a year ago) when I figured out the scam. Learned a lot from following The Girl Who Games, most importantly how to quickly earn tons of simoleans with the cooking hobby, I just do it when watching TV. Also if you do the "Free" button that pops up once a day (look at the Active Tasks screen) you can get extra simoleans, XPs and LPS for running the game advertising videos (takes about 5 minutes). I make it a point to not buy anything that's advertised ;). If you do those things, send the sims to work every day and plant green beans a couple of times a week, collect your mail and daily rewards every day, it's surprising how fast everything adds up. Same thing with hobbies, set it and forget it and gradually add up skills. Also, the so-called special events appear to be recycled periodically, so I no longer feel it's imperative to do every single one. Really, the whole idea is to enjoy it, not be enslaved! So no, I don't think it's worth spending money on Perks of any kind! And BTW, if you have a phone and a tablet, play the game on both and become your own neighbor! I play the game as I enjoy designing my own homes, challenging my brain to find the best solution to achieve the goals, and just have fun. I can't sit at my desk to play TS3-4 because of back issues, so the mobile game is a good option. Just say No to throwing away $ to EA!
    I actually started the game on three devices (my old iPod Touch 4g, my android phone and my old iPad 2) to become my own neighbor and to have enough to do while my populations were very small. Later I moved my iPad game to my new iPad Air 2 and my phone game to my new Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 tablet and stopped playing on my iPod Touch.

The advantage of being your own neighbor is that you know where everything is when you are on visit and can buy the things you need. To have more neighbors is an advantage for the daily bonus and it is especially easy to get neighbors for the android version because you only need to mark them as somebody you follow on Google+. You don't need to wait for any confirmations like you do on Apple's Game Center.

It is quite easy to get neighbors though and once you have a good neighbor you only have to visit that neighbor. I don't ever visit other neighbors than the one I know (in my case my own other town). But even though I am lvl 54 on my iPad my town isn't nearly as valuable as my strongest Game Center neighbor who has a town worth more than §143,000,000. Even that is small though compared to my strongest Google+ neighbor who's town is worth more than §2,100,000,000 :)

My own towns are only worth §17,500,000 (android) and 28,500,000 (iOS). (The difference came when I in a couple of months only played on my iPad). So even though I haven't investigated it I am sure that I could find everything I need in my neighbors' towns if I needed to :)

If you have too few neighbors then it is usually easy to get more just by adding friends of your few existing neighbors. Nearly all such friends will usually also play the game (if it is friends in the Game Center or Google+).
  • Options
    I just looked at the prices. I can get 500 VIP points for about $120. But I need 2000 VIP points for VIP 10 which would allow me to have one more sim in my game and I need 3000 VIP points for VIP 11 which would allow me to have 2 more sims. So the prices seem to be about:

VIP 10: $480 (2000 points)
    VIP 11: $720 (3000 points)
    VIP 12: $1080 (4500 points)
    VIP 13: $1440 (6500 points)
    VIP 14: $2160 (9000 points)
    VIP 15: $2880 (12000 points)

Each of lvl 10 to 14 allows one extra sim in the game and lvl 15 allow 2 extra sims in the game (among other things). The dollar prices are only approximate because they are translated from Danish prices in DKR instead of dollars. But still I don't understand why anybody ever would consider to pay that much for having small extra advantages in a free game - unless you are a billionaire of course ;)
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    I just looked at the prices. I can get 500 VIP points for about $120. But I need 2000 VIP points for VIP 10 which would allow me to have one more sim in my game and I need 3000 VIP points for VIP 11 which would allow me to have 2 more sims. So the prices seem to be about:

VIP 10: $480 (2000 points)
    VIP 11: $720 (3000 points)
    VIP 12: $1080 (4500 points)
    VIP 13: $1440 (6500 points)
    VIP 14: $2160 (9000 points)
    VIP 15: $2880 (12000 points)

Each of lvl 10 to 14 allows one extra sim in the game and lvl 15 allow 2 extra sims in the game (among other things). The dollar prices are only approximate because they are translated from Danish prices in DKR instead of dollars. But still I don't understand why anybody ever would consider to pay that much for having small extra advantages in a free game - unless you are a billionaire of course ;)

That is just to much for me. XD
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    The VIP argument will continue and will get worse when more and more of TS4's DLC starts coming out. Currently TS4 has 12 DLC Packs (2 Expansion Packs, 7 Stuff Packs, and 3 Game Packs) which will cost $210 total along with the base game which is $60-$80 (making TS4 cost $270-$290) while TS3 costs $340 assuming the Starter Pack and Expansion Bundle are purchased along with the remaining Packs but the Worlds (especially Gold Edition) and other The Sims 3 Store content will add up to TS3's price. Compared to those games, FreePlay costs $2400 to get VIP 15 which is more than TS3's and TS4's prices combined.

Some Simmers noted on Should you spend money on TS4's DLC or FreePlay's VIP? that Free to Play games have ended up being shut down and you usually are not refunded for the money spent for the game. FreePlay being an online game makes the VIP thing worse, TS4 or TS3 having DLC also doesn't help especially since the former likes to release new content about 1-2 months.
  • Options
    edited June 2016
    @WinMacSims3 The Sims Freeplay and other MMO games are free because otherwise it could probably cause legal problems when the game company closes down the game server and people could claim that they wanted their money back because their (recently?) bought game doesn't work anymore.

But if you buy something in the game (like LPs, SPs or other things) it is usually to speed things up and thereby get a temporary advantage in the game. If you are warned just a couple of months before that the game server will be closed down then you have already got that temporary advantage. So the game company will probably claim that your purchases were like buying tickets for a concert or sports match and that you can't claim your money back for such things after you have used them.

Even though some other MMO games can be extremely slow to advance in without purchases you can usually always manage without buying anything. So it is never necessary to buy anything unless you are too impatient to just wait for advancing without speeding things up.

The prices in all such game are usually extremely high if you buy things. Yes there are cheap things too. But to pay even one dollar for a small handful of LPs or SPs is IMO extremely expensive because you have to do it very often if you want it to have much effect. But to use just one dollar in average every day in a couple of years will make even a free MMO game into a very expensive game. So I would never recommend anybody to do it.
    Post edited by Erpe on
  • Options
    DcD2510DcD2510 Posts: 646 Member
    Why don't they upgrade the game to have better features, like traits better cas, moods, sim time and not real time, and furniture packs, different clothes, but you pay for them, around $1 to $5 for each one, because people who pay, get a better character creator, and more
  • Options
    DcD2510 wrote: »
    Why don't they upgrade the game to have better features, like traits better cas, moods, sim time and not real time, and furniture packs, different clothes, but you pay for them, around $1 to $5 for each one, because people who pay, get a better character creator, and more
    Probably because it is an online game. Such games have to be free because they depend on a game server. Otherwise people could probably sue the game company to get their money back when the game server is closed down. (It is different if you only pay for unnecessary ingame content which is only meant to give you short time advantages. So this is much more acceptable if only they announce the the closure of the game server a couple of months before it actually happens ;)