Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC and game lag?

Hey everybody,

I've never really played the sims 4 before with CC, it just hasn't really interested me all that much I guess. But lately, I've been dying to get my hands on some of the new CC that has come out recently. So I guess my real questions is, the sims 4 with cc and the sims 4 without cc?
Is there any type of lag/crashing associated with downloading CC? Or is it an unrelated issue?
Thanks ! :)

Comments

• Vsims44Vsims44 Posts: 93 Member
    I don't really know because I don't have any cc but I don't think it does, unless you have tons of it
    Sims 1, 2, 3, 4
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Hello
    It depends on your computer system how well it can handle the cc. Some simmers that have lower computer systems/processors find that cc/mods can cause lagging.
    When there are patches released, sometimes mods/cc conflict with the game after updating, so it is best to go back to the sites where you downloaded the mods/cc and check if new updated versions have been released after a patch or if other simmers have had issues.
    Perhaps try installing the cc, then see how your computer handles it. It is causing issues, remove the cc from the mods folder.
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    CC in and of itself being present in the game will not make your game lag, as far as playing. Tons and tons of CC may make your game take longer to load, but it will still play at the same speed once everything has loaded - depending on however fast your computer is.

Now, some CC CAN in fact cause lag - but that's not just because it's CC. It depends on how it's made. TS4 is very low-poly, and thus easy for most computers to keep up with. If you happen to find a piece of CC, say a bed (something with really fluffy, wrinkly sheets and blankets) that is super high poly - like 50k polys - and you decide you want an 8 bedroom house and use that bed in each room, then your game might start to slow down. However, as I said, that is just because of how that one particular thing is made. If EA made a 50k poly bed, you'd get the same effect. Whether the item is CC or not is not a contributing factor, the game still reads reacts to the file the same way.

As for crashing, that can happen if the content is severely outdated, if it's for the wrong version of the game (I.E a TS2 package file), after a major patch, if the file has become corrupted somehow, or if it's conflicting with something else in your game. Such occasions are generally rare, and can be resolved simply by taking out the piece of content in question. Because of this, it's best to download and install CC in small batches so that you can easily sort through it if needed. Mods (not CC) are the main issue, as they have to be updated nearly after every game update. CC, on the other hand, usually has a pretty long life.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • teenagechaossteenagechaoss Posts: 52 Member
    Thank you everyone for the answers, they really helped a lot! I will try downloading a small portion of CC tomorrow and see how she runs! :smile: thanks again!
  • MewnieSAMewnieSA Posts: 49 Member
    While poly count is one thing, texture size is another. If you have lots of clutter objects, all with 4k textures, then you'll notice lag too.

A good example would be in Skyrim- the Riften region has all those little falling leaves, and for some reason, Bethesda made them all high res textures for their size (256 x 256 or 512). Just thousands of these little high res leaves fluttering around would cause framerate drops in that area. If you replaced the leaf textures with a 32 x 32 or 64 x 64 one, there was a huge jump in performance and you couldn't even tell because the leaves were so small.
    hello. i am from the internet, eh.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,594 Member
    Thank you everyone for the answers, they really helped a lot! I will try downloading a small portion of CC tomorrow and see how she runs! :smile: thanks again!

Hello :) I hope that you will enjoy having the cc in your game. Happy simming!
  • KatzcKatzc Posts: 506 Member
    @rosemow @Nearia35 Just found this and so glad I did! I have HUGE amounts of CC and this helped me to understand poly count. Thank you so much!!!!!
  • DaniRose2143DaniRose2143 Posts: 8,831 Member
    @Katzc You may already know this but I'll add something I just learned on Friday. Check the file names on the CC you have currently and any you add in the future. Some creators like to put their name in brackets in the file name or add other special characters like quotation marks or parentheses. That will have a negative effect on your game and computer. You don't want anything other than letters and numbers in the name, underscores are ok though. And with BB items, it's better to download merged versions instead of individual files. Hope these tips help too.