Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Dads should NOT be in a 'flirty' mood while chatting with there CHILD

SarahsShadySarahsShady Posts: 963 Member
edited December 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
It's something that has really bothered me for a while and I haven't seen a thread about it. This needs to be addressed. Why not shut off the flirty emotion/mood while talking to children in general? Especially Family members. ??
It creeps me out, Big Time.
Is this part of the incest bug too? wth? or what the plum because EA seems to not like swear (bad) words but it's ok when daddy is flirty with his daughter?
giphy.gif

Please Bring Back Toddlers, Realistic Teenagers and Create a World.
Make the Sims (4) Great Again<3

Comments

• luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    edited December 2015
    There are no recent reports of the incest bug. That's for several months now.

If I never spoke to my children when *I* was in a flirty mood, they'd be half abandoned. And Lord knows if family meals would ever be even possible. Being flirty doesn't mean being flirty without restraint, in real life or in the game coding. I am actually capable of feeling flirty but flirting only with adults; your Sims are the same.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    It's not part of the incest bug now (the one caused by a family member interrupting a flirty conversation has been fixed), but I agree the whole body language is pretty weird when the kids interrupt things. I think just about every parent knows about kids interrupting things, and it totally kills the mood.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    > @HappySimmer3 said:
    > luthienrising wrote: »
    >
    > There are no recent reports of the incest bug. That's for several months now.
    >
    > If I never spoke to my children when *I* was in a flirty mood, they'd be half abandoned. And Lord knows if family meals would ever be even possible. Being flirty doesn't mean being flirty without restraint, in real life or in the game coding. I am actually capable of feeling flirty but flirting only with adults; your Sims are the same.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The behavior is disturbing, but TBH your defense of the behavior is even more disturbing. They should bring back the "creeped out" moodlet. :#

How is it creepy? Being flirty doesn't mean wanting to have sex with everything that moves. It doesn't even necessarily mean aroused. Flirty is really just playful, with a slight romantic edge to it. Why you are disturbed by the idea of someone functioning normally as a human being, regardless of what their mood is, is beyond me.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • LogisitcsLogisitcs Posts: 1,156 Member
    Because it is around their children. No parent should feel "playful with a slight romantic edge" around their kids.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    > @Logisitcs said:
    > Because it is around their children. No parent should feel "playful with a slight romantic edge" around their kids.

Certainly you'd be right that it's creepy if the parents' romantic feelings were *triggered by* being around their kids.

But having them? Sims are largely based on human beings and human beings can't regulate their emotions, any more than sims can. They can regulate their actions, and to some degree, do things that will, for example, put them in a better mood. But we don't have the kind of power over our brains that you're implying and if we did, boy would most of our problems be solved.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • Rukola_SchaafRukola_Schaaf Posts: 3,065 Member
    Logisitcs wrote: »
    Except the sims animations and body language will be flirtatious when talking to the children, which is disturbing. Seeing a parent do a flirty wave to their child should raise the game rating to Adult Only and off the shelves.

yep
    there is no excuse for anything sexual done in the presence of children
    especially because child abuse is reality everywhere in the world
    EA can call themselves lucky nobody sued them already :confused:

i won't be participating in the forums & the gallery anymore - thanks EA
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I have a feeling you are wildly exaggerating. I've never seen any sim adult do the flirty wave to a child.
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    Because it is around their children. No parent should feel "playful with a slight romantic edge" around their kids.

I flirt with my husband around my kids all the time. OMGSOSICK EWW.
    edited December 2015
    I think the issue isn't adults flirting with each other, it's the gestures and body language which are pervasive in all conversation when the parent is in the mood. I don't like it that male sims are singled out in this post as it's just as weird as when mom sims do it.

It's because of the exaggerated facial expressions and body language. I certainly don't get the feeling that the parents are flirting with the children; it's just that those expressions while talking to someone you're not flirting with are just weird.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    @luthienrising would you be surprised if I said at times we actually agree on things? Sometimes I wonder what slimy rock people lift up to find conclusions about this game.

@Ponder the Sim I agree. My mom and dad would hug or kiss in a "flirty" way in front of us and I find nothing disturbing about it.

As far as this "incest" bug. I don't understand why this forum uses this term. If you visit some other forums you'll see it being called the relationship bug or the relationship bar bug. There might be some flirting going on but the Sims are not doing "the deed". I remember reading that one player tried pushing the boundaries and testing it and no one has ever reported it does happen. She couldn't even force the appropriate behavior out of the Sims. If your Sims are going there it's because of added mods.

As far as disturbing...people are equating a little flirty behavior in a game involving little digital people to an actual crime that happens far to often to children in real life. I find that disturbing.

As far as the T rating for the game......you do realize that TSM has a T rating and in that game your Sims can actually kill other Sims through poison or a duel to the death? They actually call what they drink ale or wine? No "juice" for these Sims.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    It's just plain distasteful. I don't want to see adults act flirty with expressions and body language when they're speaking to children. Yes, it's creepy! If you all want to keep excusing the sloppy and shallow work that went into making this game, then by all means have at it. :astonished:
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    @PHOEBESMOM601 :) <-- not as surprised as you might think! I figure we all have more in common with each other than with people who don't "get" Sims at all anyway :)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    It's just plain distasteful. I don't want to see adults act flirty with expressions and body language when they're speaking to children. Yes, it's creepy! If you all want to keep excusing the sloppy and shallow work that went into making this game, then by all means have at it. :astonished:

There's a difference between recognizing sloppy work and the manufactured outrage I've seen here quite often.....and the Sims don't actually "go there".

I do know that my dad often talked about how cute it was that at 4 or 5 I knew how to get around him when I wanted something. He said I would tug on his pants, look up at him with wide blue eyes and then hold his hand while I asked things like "Oh daddy can I have a bunny?" In my book that's a child being flirty and manipulative with an adult and if that's creepy to some I'd give anything to have him back again so I could be creepy again.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    edited December 2015

There's a difference between recognizing sloppy work and the manufactured outrage I've seen here quite often.....and the Sims don't actually "go there".

I do know that my dad often talked about how cute it was that at 4 or 5 I knew how to get around him when I wanted something. He said I would tug on his pants, look up at him with wide blue eyes and then hold his hand while I asked things like "Oh daddy can I have a bunny?" In my book that's a child being flirty and manipulative with an adult and if that's creepy to some I'd give anything to have him back again so I could be creepy again.

That's different than just the flirty expressions and body language used by adults even when a child comes in and stops everything cold. I'm not outraged by it; I just think it looks weird -- the expressions and body language when talking to the child (heh, if anything, slightly annoyed would be a bit more appropriate). In truth, I'm a bit more bothered by males being singled out in the subject as it's just as weird when female sims do it.
    Like I said, it's distasteful to the max, and extremely sloppy (or simplistic) coding. And generally speaking I find it amusing that when players complain about how the game doesn't feel believable, people jump in with 'it's just a game, it's not supposed to be like real life, jeesh!'. But when someone complains about things that the game reminds them of (because real human beings are interpreting what's going on in the game), then all the sudden the argument becomes 'but that's the way it is in real life, duh!'.

I just think it's ridiculous. Yes, we are speaking about a game, and the game deserves criticism, no matter how you want to defend it or criticize how someone is phrasing their criticism.

Like I said, it's distasteful to the max, and extremely sloppy (or simplistic) coding. And generally speaking I find it amusing that when players complain about how the game doesn't feel believable, people jump in with 'it's just a game, it's not supposed to be like real life, jeesh!'. But when someone complains about things that the game reminds them of (because real human beings are interpreting what's going on in the game), then all the sudden the argument becomes 'but that's the way it is in real life, duh!'.

I just think it's ridiculous. Yes, we are speaking about a game, and the game deserves criticism, no matter how you want to defend it or criticize how someone is phrasing their criticism.

I never have and doubt I'll ever think of The Sims series of real life. I have seen some players try to insinuate that pretty innocent things that happen in the game are basically slimy. I just think of them as the Kermit has no pants people.
  • esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited December 2015
    For me the real issue is that the flirty mood is totally non discriminatory. As in the romantic idles arent reserved for just your sims romantic interest, they flirt with the whole room. Kids, wrong gender, mother, doesn't matter. I know they don't get the romance bar anymore thank goodness, but the animation is too non specific. Sim a flirts with sim b while chatting with sim c. Sim a becomes flity and starts doing the romantic idles even when looking directly at sim c. Its a bit weird, but I would imagine it'd be a hard thing to fix.

In terms of realism, I mean if I'm in a group convo with my bf with other adults - let alone children - I'd save my flirty waves and bed room eyes for him. I might sneak him a wink when the others weren't looking at me or something... But yes this generation of sims kinda act like swingers lol.
    Hi, @esharpmajor! Nice to see you.

Yes, it's really mostly due to the environmental emotional transmitter idea in this version of the game, so I agree that it's probably difficult if not impossible to fix. Whether it's a TV romance or a flirt from another sim, you have emotions and moods that radiate out to effect everything and every sim in the environment. It's why I've said many times that this emotions system they created actually interferes with the simulation.

• Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,186 Member
    I can see what you mean,to fix his. They should just make flirty movements only to other adult sims. And not children sims.
  • esharpmajoresharpmajor Posts: 1,055 Member
    edited December 2015
    @HappySimmer3 *waves* You too!

@Horrorgirl6 yes I'd be curious if it's even possible to do that much. I'm not sure if idles take the presence of other sims into account at all. I have seen sims in a happy/flirty/wtv sims doing the idles while all alone as well, especially while eating or watching tv, lol. If it's possible to link idles to nearby sims based on relationship/age that would be so cool. In addition to stopping the flirt in front of children issue, it would also finally mean that sims wouldn't be throwing happy/flirty looks at their worst enemies!

I was really hoping that we could have enemies that would give each other the stink eye even if they were happily chatting to other people. I also hoped that simply being near other sims would effect mood, but in the vanilla game even the 'enemy present' moodlet is rarely enough to overrule the many environmental/circumstantial moodlets already present.

*sigh* I had such unrealistic expectations of S4, lol. When I heard how smart and emotional the sims would be my imagination went wild...

For example: imagine if your sim was chatting with an acquaintance and a hated enemy wandered in to the convo. That enemy would start antagonizing your sim right away. Your sim would get tense and progressively more annoyed but only direct that annoyance at the enemy, not at the innocent acquaintance. The acquaintance - if they were a nice sort of sim - could take note that the enemy was being really rude and ask them to leave, sticking up for your sim. Your sim would be instantly relieved and would have the ability to thank the acquaintance/bad mouth the enemy/roll whims to befriend the kindly acquaintance. Alternatively if the acquaintance was mean/evil, they might find the enemy's rude behaviour hilarious, and join in, harassing your sim until your sim stormed off, or you intervened. Your sim's enemy and the acquaintance would bond over their mutual dislike of your sim, and walk off laughing together.

Alas... I know. Too complicated. But the ability to showcase empathy and realistic social interaction like that is my dream for the sims one day. :)
  • klovesjenklovesjen Posts: 361 Member
    Pretty sure I haven't noticed this. I find the whole emotional states thing distracting when playing. I don't want my sim to walk across a room and be flirty, playful then sad within 10 seconds. I miss how it was in Sims 2/3. And those are not the only emotions people experience...
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    I can live with it as it stands, but at least a change of tone of voice and less gesticulations would be welcome. It is particularly jarring if a romance sim is in a one on one chat with a child when hit by the flirty moodlet. The flirty sims looks like they are relating their latest experiences with a new toy they got from mail order with the kid.
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2015
    Except the sims animations and body language will be flirtatious when talking to the children, which is disturbing. Seeing a parent do a flirty wave to their child should raise the game rating to Adult Only and off the shelves.

I agree. I had to double check my game several times to make sure the parent or adult wasn't actually flirting with the child. They weren't but the body language was enough to make me look to see what the conversation was about. I don't like that even due to bad programming. We don't move around in a flirty way (the animation in the game) when talking to children even if we feel flirty about the other adult in the room or across the street. lol And neither should these Sims. They should been able to say something to the child in a proper manner (whatever the conversation is about etc. like angry, scolding, comforting etc. in body language) then turn to the other adult and do their flirtatious body language toward the other Sim, not the child. It is disturbing.

ETA: It would help if the group talks stopped in some particular instances. Like if the one is flirty not to get into a conversation with Sam across the room and Bobby the child on the couch. I wish these Sims would face the Sim they are talking to, and leave out those who shouldn't be a part of their conversation at particular times. I blame it all on this mixed up multitasking.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.