Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Loading times...

Firstly... Hello, and thanks for reading.

Ok, now straight to topic,
I have been wondering for quite a while, about the sims 3 loading times on different computers & laptops.

I know they take a while, but until a few days ago i read a topic that said their games loading was really bad at a catastrophic 5 mins... which actually made me laugh as mine takes 20 minutes on a brand new game........
Even for me saving takes a horrible amount of time of 5-10 mins.
I use the game cleaner everytime i get off the game to help to loading times, which works brilliantly, the only mods im running are nraas, and i dont even use the story progression. I have a few sliders, hair styles, make up, styles, but thats it, no clothes no furniture.
(On a side note, does anyone know where i can find the awt nostril rotate slider, trust me i have looked & cant find it! D:).
I dont own stuff packs only the Generations, Seasons & University expansions.
I'm running a Geforce 750TI, 4GB Ram on a AMD Triple Core Processor, which has a max speed of 2.30GHz.... considering this baby is over 5 years old, it still runs well considering.

I have had to put my new laptop on hold for a while, but its still left me curious,
What specs do other people run?, Computer Vs. Laptop?, whats their loading & saving times?.
How much difference in loading between a HDD & SSD Hardrive?.

So yeh,
please tell me what your running and your loading times,
It will be a great help for me to understanding which laptop specs to get.

Thanks in Advance everyone :)
Aka..... Flaming Husky
Sims Kennel Club - Delta Aquilae Siberian Huskies

Games Played :
Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
AC 2, Dirt, SOD, Star Wars .... May The Force Be With You :)

Comments

• br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member
    edited December 2015
    Loading for me takes about 10-20 minutes (or 5 in an empty world)

Saving takes me about... I'd say 5 minutes (again, depending which world)

I have all expansion packs except into the future, ambitions and world adventures and I have no stuff packs
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    10 minutes, maybe? Not that long actually. I have all EP's and few stuff packs.
  • casseyshazeracasseyshazera Posts: 89 Member
    Thanks for the response :)

Thats not far off mine br560, what specs are you running?.

10 mins thats pretty good loading, Gitte2001, What specs are you also running?. I'm after something that runs all expansions see

:)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • br560br560 Posts: 1,836 Member

10 mins thats pretty good loading, Gitte2001, What specs are you also running?. I'm after something that runs all expansions see

Er, stupid question but how do you find out what your specs are xD
    Br560.
    Playing the sims since 2012
    > Er, stupid question but how do you find out what your specs are xD

Thats ok, not a stupid question, last year i didnt know about it either XD
    You type into your computers search bar, DXDIAG, If your on windows 10 the DirectX Diagnostic tool should come up (might work for other systems too).
    Under system is tells you your processor and ram, and if you click display it tells you your graphics :)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    My main loading of the game take 1-2 minutes tops, saving takes 30 seconds...BUT I have a laptop that my son custom built to handle strictly gaming.

8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M graphics card, one terrabyte extern memory...
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    I just added a bunch of CC to my game. Before it took about 10 - 12 minutes to load, now it's around the 20 minute mark. Still not as bad as my Sims 2 game which took 35 minutes, and my old Sims 1 game took 45 minutes.

Saving takes only 2 minutes.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

> @Charlottesmom said:
    > My main loading of the game take 1-2 minutes tops, saving takes 30 seconds...BUT I have a laptop that my son custom built to handle strictly gaming.

Wow that loading time is incredible, do you know what specs it has?.

> @GITTE2001 said:
    > 8 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M graphics card, one terrabyte extern memory...

Thats not far off the specs i have been looking at, except the Msi i like has bigger ram. Thats pretty great though :)

> @GoldenBuffy said:
    > I just added a bunch of CC to my game. Before it took about 10 - 12 minutes to load, now it's around the 20 minute mark. Still not as bad as my Sims 2 game which took 35 minutes, and my old Sims 1 game took 45 minutes.
    >
    > Saving takes only 2 minutes.

Wow you must of had a lot of sims 2 cc, to load the sims 2 for me takes 2 mins, and the sims 1 even faster. 2 min saving time is good, i got abit impatient earlier and ruined a saved game after waiting 10 mins for it save, i decided the task manager should shut it down..... big mistake, now im starting all over again D:
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    edited December 2015
    If someone calls a loading time of 5 minutes bad and catastrophic, they're bragging, fishing for reactions ;) For me it's about 4 minutes now on a brand new high end computer and I'm still amazed everytime my game opens that fast. It was 11 minutes on my previous one (9 if you don't count opening the launcher), which had a good processor as well. I never minded I must confess. I knew it would take that long, so I'd do other things while waiting. And once the game starts I can play for hours in a row without any interruption.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • budewarminbudewarmin Posts: 371 Member
    edited December 2015
    I think less than 1 min to save and maybe 4 minutes loading the save. I have all EP and SP, 5gb store stuff and about 7gb CC. ( 8gb ram, i7, GeForce GTX 970 )

edit: Back in the day it took half an hour to load S2 on my previous laptop, but I have always been a cc addict.
  • becomingjennbecomingjenn Posts: 3,942 Member
    I have had to put my new laptop on hold for a while, but its still left me curious,
    What specs do other people run?, Computer Vs. Laptop?, whats their loading & saving times?.
    How much difference in loading between a HDD & SSD Hardrive?.

So yeh,
    please tell me what your running and your loading times,
    It will be a great help for me to understanding which laptop specs to get.

Thanks in Advance everyone :)

Me, I run a laptop with load times like some others at about 1-2 minutes (and I have most all the stuff installed EP's/SP's and store stuff...not to mention mods). I also have a 1TB SSD hardrive which I believe runs faster and quieter than a standard HD. My computer is relatively new, it's Sager 9778-S (can also be sold as Clevo depending upon the market) and I really love it and it's a pretty sweet rig (a similar rig can be found here, but they also go on sale often too.

I hope to have this machine a long time. My husband was able to customize some of the stuff at home, but we wanted to make sure to get the base stuff down (like the 980 Nvidia grapics card with g-sync, and made sure the laptop was designed well enough for cooling, though it sits on desk/cart most of the time).

Lastly, I tend to open/close and save my program in windowed mode and it seems to help cut down on the time, even before this computer. Not sure if this would help for you.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    In my current save, in which I play in detail with every sim there, and with detailed lots it takes maybe three minutes. I've been playing this save for quite a while. When it was a new save, it would load in maybe twenty seconds. Saving takes less than a minute in this save, I'm pretty happy with that considering how much has gone into it. I do disable memories, though.
    Oh yes, i5 2.9 Hz processor stuff. And 10 minutes is the highest, I really don't know it actually. It can also be 3 minutes.
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've got the entire collection with all Expansions and Stuff packs installed along with tons of Mods and CC files though my older games are taking about 90 seconds to load in the larger worlds and games in smaller worlds or new games take less than 60 seconds.That's on my laptop which is the only kind of computer I can have until I've got my own place.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • GoldenBuffyGoldenBuffy Posts: 4,025 Member
    Oh, my. I had a TON of CC for Sims 2 and Sims 1. I think I have done really good this time around with downloads! LOL 6.59 GB is my Mods folder, and that's not including all the stuff I have from the store, and I think I have like 20 worlds installed. Sims 2 I know my downloads folder was around 15 - 16 GB, and Sims 1, I can't remember back that far. :D Back then I had the habit of downloading everything I came across. Not to mention I also made clothing and objects to boot.
    epngF25.png
    It's up to Nancy!
    My YouTube!

• SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    edited December 2015
    I haven't timed it in a while. 5-6 minutes loading with all packs, 90% store, a few GB worth of CC and mods. Saving less than 1 minute. Specs in siggy. Overkill for Sims but I built this computer with other games in mind as well.

Within the next few months I'm building another computer for my husband. It will include a GTX 950 and i5 6500. He does not sim but I expect it would be around the same results.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I have not played this game on HDD in a long time . The game loads a lot quicker on SSD on a 400-500 mb game under 5 minutes
    Wow thanks everyone for your reply :)

> @JoAnne65 said:
    > If someone calls a loading time of 5 minutes bad and catastrophic, they're bragging, fishing for reactions ;) For me it's about 4 minutes now on a brand new high end computer and I'm still amazed everytime my game opens that fast. It was 11 minutes on my previous one (9 if you don't count opening the launcher), which had a good processor as well. I never minded I must confess. I knew it would take that long, so I'd do other things while waiting. And once the game starts I can play for hours in a row without any interruption.

Yeh i had a little feeling about that too, but still thought got interested in what kind of specs would make something like that run that fast.I know, i got used to the loading times, i always go do something else whilst i wait for it load up. What kind of specs are you running on the 4 min load up time?.

> @budewarmin said:
    > I think less than 1 min to save and maybe 4 minutes loading the save. I have all EP and SP, 5gb store stuff and about 7gb CC. ( 8gb ram, i7, GeForce GTX 970 )
    > edit: Back in the day it took half an hour to load S2 on my previous laptop, but I have always been a cc addict.

Thats amazing loading, iv been looking at a msi laptop with a core i7, geforce 960, 965 or 970, if it runs that quickly, thats exactly what im after. wow, thats alot of cc XD

> @becomingjenn said:
    > Me, I run a laptop with load times like some others at about 1-2 minutes (and I have most all the stuff installed EP's/SP's and store stuff...not to mention mods). I also have a 1TB SSD hardrive which I believe runs faster and quieter than a standard HD. My computer is relatively new, it's Sager 9778-S (can also be sold as Clevo depending upon the market) and I really love it and it's a pretty sweet rig (a similar rig can be found here, but they also go on sale often too.

wow, i have been looking at a possible ssd drive but that would cost a bomb for me, so im looking at possible 1 or 2, 125GB SSD, depending on how long im willing to wait. Thanks for link, i will check it out :)
    Same, i'm after something powerful that can handle hours of gaming, i usually try to do little upgrades by myself, but a computer is abit heavy to go lugging around, so now im after a laptop, one that i hope wont go up in smoke this time round XD
    I'v never really tried window mode, for me full screen mode has always worked best.

> @Jessa_Dakkar said:
    > In my current save, in which I play in detail with every sim there, and with detailed lots it takes maybe three minutes. I've been playing this save for quite a while. When it was a new save, it would load in maybe twenty seconds. Saving takes less than a minute in this save, I'm pretty happy with that considering how much has gone into it. I do disable memories, though.

Thats also pretty good saving and loading time. do you mind if i ask you what specs your running?. I also disable memories, but i do occasionally create a few memories for sim progress.

> @GITTE2001 said:
    > Oh yes, i5 2.9 Hz processor stuff. And 10 minutes is the highest, I really don't know it actually. It can also be 3 minutes.

Thanks for your reply, Thats still pretty good loading, considering i'm currently waiting 20 mins on minimum content.
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    @casseyshazera, My computer is now over a year old so it's falling behind with the graphics card a bit but the specs are i7 4790 4.0GHz, turbo boost to 4.4 GHz 16GB Ram 2TB HD and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    I run with all EP's half the SP's, most of the store and lot of CC and mods.
    > @TadOlson said:
    > I've got the entire collection with all Expansions and Stuff packs installed along with tons of Mods and CC files though my older games are taking about 90 seconds to load in the larger worlds and games in smaller worlds or new games take less than 60 seconds.That's on my laptop which is the only kind of computer I can have until I've got my own place.

:o That.. is... amazing!. My game runs soo slow i cant even play after its 1st generation!. Please for the love of god tell me what your running XD

> @GoldenBuffy said:
    > Oh, my. I had a TON of CC for Sims 2 and Sims 1. I think I have done really good this time around with downloads! LOL 6.59 GB is my Mods folder, and that's not including all the stuff I have from the store, and I think I have like 20 worlds installed. Sims 2 I know my downloads folder was around 15 - 16 GB, and Sims 1, I can't remember back that far. :D Back then I had the habit of downloading everything I came across. Not to mention I also made clothing and objects to boot.

I think i remember having quite abit of cc for the sims 2, which alot of it went onto the castaway stories XD.... which looked odd to say the least. Woah thats alot. I have got a few worlds, but their just castaway or deserted worlds for quicker loading, though id love to go back to island paradise, though the lag on that was bad. Yeh i had that habbit back on sims 2, and then when the sims 3 came out, then my game run smoothly...ish.

> @Simasaurus09 said:
    > I haven't timed it in a while. 5-6 minutes loading with all packs, 90% store, a few GB worth of CC and mods. Saving less than 1 minute. Specs in siggy. Overkill for Sims but I built this computer with other games in mind as well.
    >
    > Within the next few months I'm building another computer for my husband. It will include a GTX 950 and i5 6500. He does not sim but I expect it would be around the same results.

Thats pretty good loading and specs, its not far off what iv been looking at. I have other games in mind aswell, i hope to one day get back into the sims 4, plus there are online games that are currently a little laggy for me, though my online games run much smoother than my sims. Thats pretty cool you build your own computers, how long does it take you to build one?.

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    > I have not played this game on HDD in a long time . The game loads a lot quicker on SSD on a 400-500 mb game under 5 minutes

Thats good to know, thanks to xotic pc i can have a customised msi so, iv been looking at 2 small SDDs. How exactly do the SSD work?, when you save, do you just save it to the SSD instead of Windows (c:)?.

Anyway thanks for everyones reply :)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Four year old i5 (an iMac actually, running TS3 in Win 7 on bootcamp), 8 GB, HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Not state of the art by any means, but good enough for now. All EPs except ITF, more than half of the store, moderate amount of CC, enough mods to choke a medium sized moose.

Brand new game = 3-5 minutes, depends on the world.
    Ongoing multi-world (Traveler mod), multi-generational game last saved in a less busy, less progressed world = 6-8 minutes.
    Ongoing multi-world (Traveler mod), multi-generational game in one of my overcrowded, well-progressed worlds, been playing this ongoing game since 2011, 12-14 minutes (I usually go wash the dishes or browse the web while it loads).

If any ongoing world in my system takes longer than that to load, it's usually time for a MC total reset which I try to do every 6-8 sim weeks anyway or something else needs to be looked at.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    I have larger SSD's on m C drive. 250-280 gb . It boots windows quicker. It boots the sims 3 game quicker and my 400-500 mb saves in less than a minute.

If your planning to add SSD, if your computer can support it, I would get a 250-500 gb , especially if you use a lot of CC. SSD is usually put on C drive with windows. If your not putting the SSD on C drive you would have to custom install the game to that drive where you put the SSD
    > @Jessa_Dakkar said:
    > @casseyshazera, My computer is now over a year old so it's falling behind with the graphics card a bit but the specs are i7 4790 4.0GHz, turbo boost to 4.4 GHz 16GB Ram 2TB HD and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
    > I run with all EP's half the SP's, most of the store and lot of CC and mods.

Thats still pretty good even with a year old graphics card. 4GHz? wow didnt know it could go that high.

> @igazor said:
    > Four year old i5 (an iMac actually, running TS3 in Win 7 on bootcamp), 8 GB, HDD, AMD Radeon HD 6770M. Not state of the art by any means, but good enough for now. All EPs except ITF, more than half of the store, moderate amount of CC, enough mods to choke a medium sized moose.

3-5 mins is good, especially for a mac. Ok i just got to say, well done for playing a game for that long XD, i usually either get bored or have to change to a new world due to lag after a maximum of a month.. depending on how much i play XD

> @phoebebebe13 said:
    > If your planning to add SSD, if your computer can support it, I would get a 250-500 gb , especially if you use a lot of CC. SSD is usually put on C drive with windows. If your not putting the SSD on C drive you would have to custom install the game to that drive where you put the SSD

I think id end up keeping the ssd drive especially for my games, i'm pretty happy with the loading up times my computer has now, never mind a new laptop. That is pretty awesome, even my brand new game takes 5 mins to save. I wont be getting a ssd for this computer, but will hopefully have one already installed on my hopefully very near future laptop, which i will be getting at some point. Thanks for that, i was a little hazy on how it worked, but i think i get it now. :)
    Aka..... Flaming Husky

Games Played :
    Sims 1/2/3/4/Castaway,
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    3-5 mins is good, especially for a mac. Ok i just got to say, well done for playing a game for that long XD, i usually either get bored or have to change to a new world due to lag after a maximum of a month.. depending on how much i play XD
    The Mac hardware is fine, actually superior to many other choices (from four years ago) and this is an iMac desktop, not one of the new MacBook Pro laptops with difficult to get recognized integrated graphics. When running Bootcamp, I am actually playing TS3 for Windows same as anyone else who has Win 7, not TS3 for Mac which is a different beast and never would have held this monster of a game together as long as I've been playing it.

Mods such as NRaas Overwatch, ErrorTrap, Register, Traffic and a few others together with one to control scrapbook memories help keep the game clean of bloat and lag-inducing debris, plus I save clean when needed. I've never had to abandon an actively played word after a number of generations unless I've wanted to.

I don't get bored because, courtesy of Traveler, this game save is carrying 15 different connected worlds. "My" sims, the product of so many generations, live in 5 of them, there's the WA worlds and Uni, and the rest are vacation destinations where they might own vacation homes and some places where they used to live but are still in play.

Compared to other players who do not use Traveler this way, I guess I'm playing 5 or more different games in rotation even though it's all one save. Thing is, no one ever told me back then that you're supposed to want to start over with a new game now and then or move your sims to a new world the EA way, which is also like starting over. So that never even occurs to me, except for small test games off to the side that aren't meant to go anywhere, and I just keep expanding the main one. The save folder for one save instance is well over 2 GB; the individual nhd files inside are usually under 300 MB each, I sometimes let them get as far as 500 MB before save cleaning.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net