Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Who takes these gallery pictures?!

Why can we not choose our own gallery pictures? The ones the game chooses are always terrible. They are from the wrong side, or from behind trees, or too far away to make out anything. Why put your heart into a build if it is lost in the horrible picture the game chooses for you? Who will every download your creation if the gallery only shows a full screen shot of a tree? I frequently end up removing landscaping because it ends up blocking the build in the picture.

I just spent hours making this home. It took forever to design and figure out how I wanted to do it, because I wanted a sunken living room, and those can be tricky. It has an open floor plan so you can see down into the living room from the kitchen, and the back wall is lined with windows to let in the light. I was pretty happy with it, but the gallery picture shows none of that.

It makes me wonder how some places get shared at all.

Please, gurus, talk to someone about allowing us to change the views in homes. You can for rooms!
Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png

Comments

• PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    Here are better pics of the house:

12-19-15_5-18-32nbspPM_zpshh5q0gbo.png
    12-19-15_5-19-08nbspPM_zpsirlm7p9c.png
    12-19-15_5-19-34nbspPM_zpsp01hcfop.png

Looking down into the living room:
    12-19-15_5-19-59nbspPM_zpsh2kv1ztv.png

And up from the living room:
    12-19-15_5-20-18nbspPM_zpslypqrcvw.png
  • MoodbeamyMoodbeamy Posts: 1,510 Member
    I've built homes many a time only to have to save them and then move them to a different lot just to try and get the shot I want on The Gallery. It is a slight annoyance.
    tFU6JMe.png
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,417 Member
    That house is gorgeous Piperbird!
  • EvalenEvalen Posts: 10,223 Member
    I like that house it is really nice
  • shadowcat85shadowcat85 Posts: 5,219 Member
    Lovely house @Piperbird
    tumblr_inline_ne699tiMiG1r36c5t.gif

• GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    The house looks much better when you take the pics yourself, is a lovely home!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    Try going to another empty lot and put it on there again and see if the screenshots look better.

I think it's cuz your is a landscape type of house. Most of the lots are more of a portrait composition.

You can try to put it on the biggest lot on Newcrest.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
    A lot of the time I actually build the houses on the largest lot, because I don't know how big the build will turn out. I don't want to be limited while building. Then I move the house to smaller and smaller lots until I find one that fits nicely and add landscaping to it.

It seems you cannot put trees in the front yard to the right side, the game always seems to want to take a picture from that side. It can also be tough to tell on and empty lot which side the game considers the 'front'. Shouldn't that be something WE decide? You know, because 'we rule' or something?
  • Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    @Piperbird I love the "open concept" feel of the main living space. This really opens up the place for natural lighting.

As for the Gallery pics, I'm assuming they'll never do any build justice.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    Great house @Piperbird, I have only but a couple of houses in the gallery, but one is from the side view.
    I would also like to see the pictures larger sometimes when I pull one up I just close it because I can't really see what they look like inside.
  • ModerateOspreyModerateOsprey Posts: 4,875 Member
    Even if they made the images clickable so we can see a big version would help
    Awake.
    Shake dreams from your hair
    My pretty child, my sweet one.
    Choose the day and choose the sign of your day
    The day's divinity....
    The Ghost Song - Jim Morrison
  • Mstybl95Mstybl95 Posts: 5,883 Member
    I just spent 4 days building and furnishing this lot:

GU2VIIIfh5ir9PeE2fbl3ofv4kFn9Eoc577UJmt6BHgG4xmQA0PLQbDwrb3xxUnvyG3TBSxE5u-ALBxwXMiC0rLELuJYwFCEll7pdq1Fmh-NJTuOdgvZi1UMoWJg9cWWNFXO5yD1OjQAy64Df8hU-ouvwY3z8uz2UQGfxLusmsevTWNlHOEPtOp9wGKifC_D2mARjKEMr310jQ2ySRU1iAcyXQs5yGJGCYTA5Q2rH_CRJGWerm_rfNMEhy4ggzv7iPEFwNRmJumVtEd9OKpI_DYORFsSwCpXYF-fD5-bL9r39lUjoRg6e75pexeLm_J4gg0B9x05mHajm5Ci9gjimIM0NzSTejieSlwzjk_dIGzkP-s_5XcUuXaggsI40U6Jx75TH9t2PDYBZV8ner_IY566ygkxz2yQEmvH6KDucXu_ID4miOmXQ7JByfc93CdfTZyiIFeuZiyz34Y1LpQ5bw6lFtT2VAeWsgDfNuQ8R2chQrOcK2KgNAUT9wbhpilzv57UgKB593C8kkobPUMP7luVW0gkF8Ni3cy4Yr2pTosGIKdLoOutkz1lPDNXqaVYI82G2w=w1677-h943-no

This is what the gallery says it looks like (LOL):
    SVzDiuDAsemPKV93l1B3XfNO_wuo5gEf9qQJWITAXYepDS52orN5o02L9hySFlrnY92rxxoof38moxel2qAmow9IdW4seDnCu0h33mK6_0TcBkV4uQhqpSFKIKXm7pp5ZkIX16mkqE21WxSN_IbC1VzU6zODxkyJz0ZZR1ob_QA3ZAkZ36bcupGPiDAPpzfI-L9tK19BVqvA5cxSIu5i8uYeOrq4Yacf7Uvsjw_dfsvE5K_UZyfznUNonQjUHzRIYKccIsFS-c8Xp6KwBbfqydS8M9t4oT5YTNBRoCxxAzoCIggbDAwxcBnsFY3yDvs9b45nhqsAhFyfK3ycCrKn2_n5pAhqKFvBJ30s5GIEKh4IejMaRNxPpuMkU5-g8SKs4DgmLU1m1zVzPgri-O1kM_KZnao5RXCebIGBsswzj3q1XWNLCJZXFyuqwaiU_g-jo4ijyAJV21-xxeUn36lK4GZsQ-RfnNEynZ7X7lXvV6ZE9LmchcT61RuRfylKBPNyEIpmlA-_YNCubcXeWPYdns78kgOD6otwGvzVriJ0q4iHv4U5qFJ6Dpt_RwgdLH0xEV9yLA=w744-h410-no

*Throws arms up

I totally agree. I want to choose the photo that represents my home. Not only for sharing purposes, but because I go back to my old lots after I have built new ones and might forget what this one looks like.
    I did the exact same thing! I spent days making row houses - four complete homes, decorated differently, pool, gym, garden, park, and pond. The gallery shows the side of the buildings and a bunch of trees.

I'm not sure how to show gallery pictures here, just the pics I take.
    Piperbird wrote: »
    I did the exact same thing! I spent days making row houses - four complete homes, decorated differently, pool, gym, garden, park, and pond. The gallery shows the side of the buildings and a bunch of trees.

I'm not sure how to show gallery pictures here, just the pics I take.

Same here! I customized each home to the family that will occupy it. So all of them are completely different.

---You can grab your gallery pics by going to the online gallery and searching for your lots. Then download the pic or copy the address to share it here.
    Found it! I always used the gallery through the game.

Here is the game pic of the row houses:
    00.jpg

My pic:
    05-19-15_5-59nbspPM-2_zpseexnrowa.png

This pic is so zoomed out you are actually looking from inside the house across the street:
    00.jpg

Lots of side of the house shots:
    00.jpg

Glad I worked hard on this one, so the pic can be taken from the back of the house through the trees:
    02.jpg

LOL...that's hilarious!

You'd have thought that after how awful TS3's shots were, they would have had a little forethought into this system. Obviously, they didn't even think twice.
  • ianxziianxzi Posts: 723 Member
    You're so right! We need to be able to pick our own angles to get pictures from. I actually put something on the gallery the other day. The yard was absolutely filled with trees because I wanted it to look covered by nature. Go figure, the screenshots are all of a giant effing tree.
    original.gif
    What I don't understand is, you can change the angle of a room when you are sharing it. The coding is already there. Someone made the decision that we had control over rooms, but not over lots. Can anyone explain why this decision was made?
    edited December 2015
    Piperbird wrote: »
    What I don't understand is, you can change the angle of a room when you are sharing it. The coding is already there. Someone made the decision that we had control over rooms, but not over lots. Can anyone explain why this decision was made?

They probably copied the coding for houses straight from TS3. Sharing rooms is something new, probably had a different person/team working on it and they added that feature. I've noticed a lot of copying in the code. Some of the descriptions still say TS3. LOL
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    I know what you mean, Piperbird. I wish we could take our own screenshots for the gallery pics or at least have different angles.

I usually build my houses where the front side is the shorter side. For most lots in Newcrest it does work that way. For some reason, the screenshot will take the pic from the road where your sims "spawn" or disappear when they go to work, etc.
    d6N7u9g.png
    40MO6lH.png

Here's one on the 50x40 lot which I think could fit your type of builds if you're planning to build long landscape composition type of houses.

Z3dyWr8.png

What I could suggest is maybe after you have finished building it, you save it to My Library first and from there you can view the screenshots first. And if you don't like it, you can transfer your build to the 50x40 lot in Newcrest or the 40x30 lot in Magnolia Promenade if you have GTW.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif