Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Autonomous Selfies

BooV7227BooV7227 Posts: 282 Member
edited December 2015 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Dear Devs, would you guys consider limiting auto-selfies (the sim-directed animation that leaves no pictures for hanging/in screenshots folder) to one or two traits, instead of leaving it available to everyone?

At the moment I have a mod blocking auto-selfies entirely because some of my sims would never do that, and it looks wrong with them. But I would like it for some of my other sims. Could this animation be tied to the Outgoing trait, like autonomous food-pics are tied to the Foodie trait? Then I can remove my mod and simply avoid that trait for some sims (or swap it out at a later point).
tCTe03l.png

Comments

• Options
    MrHawkMrHawk Posts: 4,345 Member
    They should have tied it to teens and had a social media junkie trait for adults.
    I would mod it out of the game also. I modded the smartphone in TS3 because I didn't like my elders streaming videos all day.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    BooV7227 wrote: »
    Dear Devs, would you guys consider limiting auto-selfies (the sim-directed animation that leaves no pictures for hanging/in screenshots folder) to one or two traits, instead of leaving it available to everyone?

At the moment I have a mod blocking auto-selfies entirely because some of my sims would never do that, and it looks wrong with them. But I would like it for some of my other sims. Could this animation be tied to the Outgoing trait, like autonomous food-pics are tied to the Foodie trait? Then I can remove my mod and simply avoid that trait for some sims (or swap it out at a later point).

See, this is where traits should have mattered more. Shy Sim (do we even have them?) embarrassed if taking a selfie or with friends. Outgoing Sims, yes would be hams for a camera. They never go into depth in this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    Taking selfies and the fact that they just never seem to shut up are two of the main reasons this game irritates me.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    MrHawk wrote: »
    They should have tied it to teens and had a social media junkie trait for adults.
    I would mod it out of the game also. I modded the smartphone in TS3 because I didn't like my elders streaming videos all day.

Those traits are good ideas and then all other Sims wouldn't do it, unless asked by us. Like in TS3.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited December 2015
    Yes, please limit the selfies to teens and maybe the insider trait or so..
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,233 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hmmm... in fact I really like how it is.

I propose a Satisfaction Reward Trait : Smartphone addiction.

I suggest a Reward trait because I would like to keep this behavior for all my sims.
  • Options
    AmberlousmithAmberlousmith Posts: 42 Member
    To be honest, I haven't really noticed my sims doing this. If they did, it would not be a big deal since most teens do take a lot of selfies. :)
  • Options
    Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,192 Member
    I don't like automatic selfies either,I wish they were an option to turn them off or limited tem. I don't mind selfies once in a while,but not a lot it get s annoying.
  • Options
    VickiVampiressVickiVampiress Posts: 211 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

See, this is where traits should have mattered more. Shy Sim (do we even have them?) embarrassed if taking a selfie or with friends. Outgoing Sims, yes would be hams for a camera. They never go into depth in this game.

Can I just remind everyone how crappy the current personality system is? It's not even a personality system. It's just level based perks, essentially. We really need a personality "nerf" I suppose, followed by a revision of traits so that we get actual personality traits. Not just stupid perks and reward traits that make an easy game even easier.
    1Q6xf0t.jpg
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Can I just remind everyone how crappy the current personality system is? It's not even a personality system. It's just level based perks, essentially. We really need a personality "nerf" I suppose, followed by a revision of traits so that we get actual personality traits. Not just stupid perks and reward traits that make an easy game even easier.

Isn't that what I said? They don't go into depth in this game. That means the same thing. Just put mildly than you did. lol
  • Options
    JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    To be honest, I haven't really noticed my sims doing this. If they did, it would not be a big deal since most teens do take a lot of selfies. :)
    Not all sims are teens though;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    ^^^Yes. And neither are all players.

ETA: Stuff like this makes me wonder about the developers sometimes.
  • Options
    ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited December 2015
    I wish the selfies were tied more to traits. That way if I wanted to make a technophobe Sim, they wouldn't want to be obsessed with their phone or computer. Autonomous selfies annoy me and ruin the multitasking feature for me. Having a tech obsessed trait make Sims do autonomous selfies only would be nice.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    I'm sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner; thank you for the comments everyone!

If we use the Foodie trait as a solid example, then the Outgoing and Insider traits would be good choices to pin this to, as a tech-trait would not necessarily tie in with that kind of behavior (sorry Scobre), although I agree that a technophobe would avoid them, or get a frustrated moodlet after taking one haha. My rl husband is very tech oriented, and he hates selfies, while my sister is much less tech-savvy but loves selfies. It is a highly-social behavior.

But you're right LeGardePourpre, a reward trait may work better since we only have 3 main trait slots. =/ I like that idea now that it's been mentioned.

I'd love to get into a discussion about a new personality system, but I don't want to detract from the main point, which is meant as sincere feedback/request, not a criticism. Selfies are a thing right now after all, even if I/a lot of people don't like them; I just want some form of limitation on them since they seem to have none at the moment. When my mother's simself takes an autonomous selfie at a family wedding, you know something is wrong -- my rl mother HATES pictures of herself, lol.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    Maybe it would all be solved if Sims didn't automatically come with phones and we had to buy them once the Sims were in game. People like to play with historical themes and some some like to play poor or homeless Sims. I don't know about others but automatically having a phone helps break that immersion for me.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    I agree; you can mod the phone mesh to look like a pad of paper, but that doesn't stop them from doing weird actions with it that don't match your theme. Essentially what it comes down to is we need more freedom of choice.
    tCTe03l.png
  • Options
    I agree; you can mod the phone mesh to look like a pad of paper, but that doesn't stop them from doing weird actions with it that don't match your theme. Essentially what it comes down to is we need more freedom of choice.

I was just reading an old article from the Washington Post where WW was interviewed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/2002/04/14/guys-and-digital-dolls/9437243f-b5a4-4827-929d-9208ece7dd70/

His idea was

"designer's role should be to provide "as big a sandbox as possible" and get out of the way."
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    me i do not see anything wrong in that feature i find it perfectly normal for the game and sims kids should have that option to take selfies of themselves if they are with there friends
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options

I was just reading an old article from the Washington Post where WW was interviewed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/lifestyle/magazine/2002/04/14/guys-and-digital-dolls/9437243f-b5a4-4827-929d-9208ece7dd70/

His idea was

"designer's role should be to provide "as big a sandbox as possible" and get out of the way."
    Nice read! This quote I absolutely adore:
    "One of the fundamental things about game design," Will Wright is saying, "is that you're actually programming two processors. There's the processor in the computer in front of you and there's the processor in the player's head."

and:
    A game may have "this great engine, great graphics and all of that," but if its designers "didn't think through the psychology of it" -- if they didn't consider, in other words, how the human brain will process the gameplay -- it won't be very good.
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    TheGoodOldGamerTheGoodOldGamer Posts: 3,559 Member
    I don't have a problem with that idea, OP. People constantly taking selfies irl annoy me to no end, lol.
    Live, laugh and love. Life's too short not to.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    My family contains four people. One out of four takes selfies, which means 25% irl, my daughter. The other three do not. Never. I think my family is pretty representative in this respect :p I don't know why she takes so many by the way, because she pulls exactly the same face on each and every one of them. "No I don't" she said, so I filled a page of our holiday photo album with all the selfies she took in front of the tower of Pisa. On every photo the tower looked the same. And so did she :mrgreen:
    5JZ57S6.png
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 New Member
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Options
    ^^This is not a bad idea. I'd go for narcissistic but I'm less diplomatic ;)