Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

OK, I totally do not get this game.

PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
Reading recent patch notes made me want to try the game again. So I made a new Sim, stuck her in a cheap premade home, and started her writing books. The weirdness started right away.

The welcome party of three showed up after a few hours. Two stayed on the porch, where I went out to greet them, but the third walked straight into my house and started playing on the computer, without a single word to my Sim. After a while, she stopped playing on the computer and helped herself to a bunch of fruit cake. Long after my two new friends went home, she was crying about needing to pee and being tired, all while refusing to leave my home. She stayed all night, waving about being unhappy, before FINALLY leaving the next day.

The glitch that leaves your full progress bar over your head forever is still happening, only now sleep does not get rid of it, so that was a bummer.

For some reason my Sim wont shower even though the shower is clean, accessible, and not broken. Also, using the toilet seems to cancel anything else in the queue. (These are fixed now, yay!)

But here's the thing that made me want to post this. Here is Travis. Travis is standing on my porch. I am currently talking to Travis. I am also currently getting a text from Travis stating he would like to come over and hang out.

12-17-15_6-53-51nbspPM_zpsou8voa1a.png

Please, I WANT to love this game, but every time I attempt to play again, there are nothing but glitches and issues. ~_~
Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
Post edited by Piperbird on

Comments

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    Lol the text feature is new so there is bound to be glitches. Please report that lol
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • happygurlhappygurl Posts: 1,005 Member
    edited December 2015
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    I think people who love Sims 4 simply overlook things like that? I was watching a Let's Play of GT and the guy who made the video ordered his sim to rudely introduce herself to another sim who would be in a rivaling club. So she walked at her, and at the same moment the lady she was going to insult stood up and walked away, to sit at another table. "Oh, geez, she is so rude, she doesn't even want to sit next to her" the guy said and I went 'no... , this sim just walked away from the conversation, they do that.' I mean, in Sims 3 when I tell my sim to adress someone, the other sim waits and that may be unrealistic, but in the end they're actually talking to each other. But I think he just genuinely saw in differently than me, because he kept having fun that his sim was insulting this woman, while she was just talking and making gestures in space, with the other woman not even looking at her, sitting at the other side of the room.

I do that when I play as well. It makes the game more fun to be creative and pretend the woman is being rude. I tend to be a story teller as I play.
    ETA: the not showering thing worries me because I saw someone else mention it on the forum. I haven't run into it in my game and hopefully I don't.
    InstantGif_2020.12.01_18.10.gif?width=450&height=278&fit=bounds&crop=fill
  • taigoesrawrtaigoesrawr Posts: 812 Member
    Oh my. I haven't encountered any bugs while playing TS4 (thank god) so I feel bad when I see posts like this ..
    Also, I thought they fixed the toilet cancel thing? I'm pretty sure they mentioned it in the newest patch. Anyways, I hope you can eventually enjoy this game to the fullest. It is a ton of fun when it's not bugging out. x
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    happygurl wrote: »
    I think people who love Sims 4 simply overlook things like that? I was watching a Let's Play of GT and the guy who made the video ordered his sim to rudely introduce herself to another sim who would be in a rivaling club. So she walked at her, and at the same moment the lady she was going to insult stood up and walked away, to sit at another table. "Oh, geez, she is so rude, she doesn't even want to sit next to her" the guy said and I went 'no... , this sim just walked away from the conversation, they do that.' I mean, in Sims 3 when I tell my sim to adress someone, the other sim waits and that may be unrealistic, but in the end they're actually talking to each other. But I think he just genuinely saw in differently than me, because he kept having fun that his sim was insulting this woman, while she was just talking and making gestures in space, with the other woman not even looking at her, sitting at the other side of the room.

I do that when I play as well. It makes the game more fun to be creative and pretend the woman is being rude. I tend to be a story teller as I play.
    ETA: the not showering thing worries me because I saw someone else mention it on the forum. I haven't run into it in my game and hopefully I don't.
    Yes, it must be somethng like that. But if someone is being rude and walks away (before even being adressed to by the way, his sim hadn't had the chance to say anything yet), you follow her. Or you start shouting at her from a distance. But his sim was acting as if this lady was still sitting next to her. She was having a conversation with an empty chair. I have a lot of imagination and making up all kind of story's comes naturally when I play Sims 3, but this I just can't cope. It's too far away from real human behaviour for me. It looks sloppy.

(the not showering issue got solved in today's patch btw didn't it?)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Could it be you have a duplicate one in your game?
    This is funny but odd
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    edited December 2015
    I haven't encountered any serious glitches with the sims 4 until this last big patch. This patch did introduce a visual glitch with my water and I had to turn reflections down which was annoying. I've also experienced 2 crashes and once I got stuck in map view and had to shut the game down without saving. I haven't played since the fix patch, so I'm hoping there will be no more crashes.
    Glitches do not get overlooked with me, I've just been very fortunate in having very few. I wish people would not make blanket statements suggesting that those who love this game are just ignoring serious issues.
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member
    Sorry I never got any of those bugs, only the toilet one, and it seems to be fixed now after the patch of yesterday?
  • GaiaPumaGaiaPuma Posts: 2,278 Member

LOL, not anybody saying people that like sims 4 like bugged things XD Sims 3 alone needed a mod to take care of routing of cars and taxis and sims that crashed my game and made it unplayable every 15 min. Plus after WA my old saves were ruined. Sims 3 is imo the buggiest sims to ever exist. We had Twallan mod for a reason. And sims 3 was bugged since the first EP.
  • MorgenSterMorgenSter Posts: 22 Member
    I love it in spite of some glitches. The one that got me yesterday was my sims not showering (that was making me craaaaazy). They'd get inside the shower and immediately out. I installed the patch and it kept happening for a few minutes, then stopped and all got back to normal!
    Piperbird wrote: »
    While eating, I notice the option to flush the toilet is available. I thought that was strange, because I thought my Sim always did. So I queue it up for after she is done eating. She gets up, flushes her dinner, then goes and watches TV. Since she didn't actually eat anything, I have to make her a second dinner.
    ROFL, sorry but that sounds just too funny :D

Everything you're describing I experience exactly the same way. Unpredictable, random, annoying, time consuming. But I really think this is a matter of preference and perception. I've seen people getting completely irritated because their sim in 3 takes a strange route to get somewhere, where I genuinely really don't care. You want to play the guitar outside knee deep in the snow even when I built you a living room the size of a football pitch? Why not, go ahead you silly man, while I focus on the others. But objectively that's odd behaviour as well that can break the immersion, I just happen to not mind. I've seen multitasking being cheered so many times, presented as one of the greatest features in this game, where for me it's just a nuisance. Again, it's a matter of perception and priorities I think.
    5JZ57S6.png
    GaiaPuma wrote: »

LOL, not anybody saying people that like sims 4 like bugged things XD Sims 3 alone needed a mod to take care of routing of cars and taxis and sims that crashed my game and made it unplayable every 15 min. Plus after WA my old saves were ruined. Sims 3 is imo the buggiest sims to ever exist. We had Twallan mod for a reason. And sims 3 was bugged since the first EP.
    I wasn't discussing bugs though. You want to discuss Sims 3 bugs with me? Believe me, you'll find me side by side with you ;)
    5JZ57S6.png
  • actuallyitsjessicaactuallyitsjessica Posts: 136 Member
    edited December 2015
    I want to love it, but wow. For some time there, the Halloween prizes from the contest would appear but mostly disappear from my game, and I gave up trying to use them, but that problem seemed to stop after the GT patch. The hospital strangely spawns extra employees whenever my doctor sim returns from a house call, and sims who supposedly aren't home when I load a lot are usually home.

I went in today and played my fave family, because even when they drive me insane with their musical chairs and broken plumbing and yapping, I'll still love 'em. Well, the parents, really, not so much the kids. I sent the three boys off to go chat at the other end of the street, when I needed a break from them. I'll always wish that they would make progression possible on separate lots, so while the kids visit friends, mum can upgrade her rocket, and hubby can still go work out at the gym or go find a tomato. Honestly, it bugs me so much that I can't have that. I don't let the kids accept invitations from friends because of that. And so everyone just stays home and chats and chats and chats. And then I'm outta there.

Edit: Misspelled tomato.
    Post edited by actuallyitsjessica on
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited December 2015
    @Piperbird , Now, you can see why I fuss about 'quality', so much and TS4's lack of it. To fix the glitch with the skill thingy over their heads ( which happened with the Nov. patch) try making the Sim learn something else, it will eventually overtake the stuck one and work itself out. Yes, I have this every time I play since the Nov. patch. For the other things all I can say is 'that's The Sims 4'. And repair game over and over really doesn't fix the mess it is. This is just a taste of the many problems this game has month after month after month. And no, they aren't mod or cc related 99% of the time.

The bar (conversation) thing or if your Sim was in a bar or not is an everyday occurrence in my game. They are across the room talking with someone else but I think @JoAnne65 hit the nail on the head, and people just ignore this sloppy type of thing and pretend something like that is they were so put off by the rude Sim they didn't want to hear what they had to say...which is bull hockey. Plum programming, AKA talking to someone else not even facing or acknowledging your Sim being rude, and just carrying on as if nothing happened half way across the room or back to back or whatever, just plum programming.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    When I was last able to play TS4, the main multi-tasking I had them do involved drinking juice and eating breakfast at the same time. Or I would have my Sim eat breakfast in front of the TV while watching the news. I wish that they had a TV tray to place in front of the couch, so that they could have some place to put their plate down and then they could drink juice as well.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • grallonspheregrallonsphere Posts: 153 Member
    Other than the builder (which I love), is there anything to do in this game other than watch the muppets agitate themselves? I confess I find that quite tedious. My first game I made a frat house and put 3 cute guys in there, nudging them until 2 of them finally got together. It was amusing at first to see them have sex in the bush and try to do it again in one of the beds (which I learned afterwards must not be set against a wall...) but that gets old really fast. It seems to me that if it was a real simulator we shouldn't have to be constantly prompt them to do anything. Oh well different strokes I suppose.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    The gameplay is storytelling, really. Some people play their stories with a focus on the game's levelling system: careers, collections, ambitions, and the like. Some people play their stories with a focus on family life, often over many generations. Some people play "challenge" stories, like the Runaway Teen Challenge; there's a topic listing lots of player-created challenges in one one the Creative Corner categories here. Some people play open-ended stories involving multiple households - mine tend to be out intertwining lives across a few households (but I also populate the whole world, seeding myself lots of potential stories). Some people play "deviantly," wreaking as much havoc as they can.

If you're not into making a story happen, then the gameplay might just not be for you.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • PiperbirdPiperbird Posts: 4,161 Member
    I'm glad I am not the only one having problems! And yes, the toilet and shower do appear to be fixed now (yay!).

@DeKay - thank you! Those pics of multitasking were lovely. ^_^

I really do want to like this game. This is my third attempt to try it, and although I have been tempted a few times, I have refused to purchase any of the extras. The constant excuse of 'it will be better when there is more stuff (aka: after I throw more money at it)' just does not fly with me. Because my issue is not lack of content and game play - that is the entire purpose of extras, and that is OK- but the core problems with the base game that extras will not fix.

I have not run in to the emotion based glitches yet that caused me to quit playing the last time. I really hope they were fixed, and not that I just have not encountered them yet.

I guess I mostly just feel like I cannot connect with these Sims for some reason. I can't bring myself to care about what happens to them, or to try to push their lives in different directions.

I adore TS3, and still play it to this day, but I am really beginning to fear it will be my last Sims game. I seem to have been very fortunate to not experience any of the bugs others talk about having in TS3.

(Although TS4 Build Mode is flipping brilliant)
    Visit me in the gallery! CC-free builds under origin name Piperbird!
    06-01-15_5-18nbspPM_zps8s8jcirw.png
  • SimsFurSimsFur Posts: 1,998 Member
    pointless additions that totally break the soul of the game when you see someone texting you that is already on your lot... bummer. Not cool!
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 997 Member
    My sister used to call/text her daughter, who was in the next room (in real life).