Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ashes to Ashes: A Legacy [Temporary Hiatus 4/4]

Comments

• SilentWolf101SilentWolf101 Posts: 3,898 Member
    I feel like that first part was very much implied, and I got a little from that (used google translate to help with that), but that very last part is what really caught me up. Google Translate helped! Maybe, instead of right after, you could do a * and then, at the very end, you could do the translations as like an author's note. What about that? I mean, it'll still be a little "cheap," but not as much (I think...).
    ~Open your mind before your mouth~
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
    Come Join The Mafia! | Monthly Simlit Story Challenges
  • CitizenErased14CitizenErased14 Posts: 12,187 Member
    edited December 2015
    Hmm... I'll consider it. :lol: I don't know. It still doesn't feel 'right' to me haha.

If it helps, I don't do it too often. :tongue: One time, the chapter title is the foreign phrase in English (so the translation is given to you that way). Another time, it's SUPER implied. Much more than "I am yours" was in today's chapter. Everyone will get that one.

And once, it's a kind of romantic/intimate comment that I feel is more interesting being left to the imagination :lol: But it's very very similar to a phrase that will already have been seen, so people will probably get it anyway. :tongue:

Again, we'll see! I appreciate your honest feedback though, seriously :)
    snvAF3B.png
    You're welcome. And yeah. It's okay if you don't want to, though. I'm sure not everybody feels the same way as I do. :)
    BTW, I'm a forever fan of your work. :3
    Yes, I'm still working on my stories. But I am restarting them (again). Links will come when they're up. :)
  • pammiechickpammiechick Posts: 12,262 Member
    edited December 2015
    I will agree about translating for us. It made no sense to me at all until I used a translator on it and then it came clear. BTW, in published work, you would just write it like this, Eu sou tua… E só tua, I am yours ... and yours alone. And then you would never have to translate it again.

Nice chapter as always!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • Julyvee94Julyvee94 Posts: 6,694 Member
    @SilentWolf101 @pammiechick I acutally kinda like that it's not translated :D It adds to the flair for me. Personally I gathered what Jade meant from alex reaction - it had to be positive and since he made clear what I wanted to hear I assumed that was it :D I know that many books do that what pammiechick suggested... but I don't know I kind of like it that way :D it's mysterious
    Thanks for the input @pammiechick and @Julyvee94 Sounds like there are opinions on both sides around here haha. So I'm still not 100% sure what I'm going to do. Hmm... (I need to decide soon, because tomorrow's chapter has a phrase in German in it, and I don't want to confuse people again, nor do I want to cheapen my chapter. Hmmm... *strokes Lucas' beard thoughtfully* Hehe this avatar comes in handy)
    snvAF3B.png
    Okay @pammiechick @SilentWolf101 I thought of a potential compromise?

What if when I post chapters that include foreign phrases, I can include a translation here in my story thread (along with the chapter update) but hide it with spoiler tags. That way people who'd like a direct translation can click and read it ahead of time, and people who'd prefer to figure out via context can choose not to click? But the translation is there as an option, and also not directly in the chapter itself to take away from it?

Would that work for you guys? :)
    snvAF3B.png
  • Maladi777Maladi777 Posts: 4,393 Member
    edited December 2015
    I agree, it's better untranslated. If you did, why not write it in english right away? And there's something electrifying about hearing words in a foreign language whispered to your ear, don't you think? :wink:
    heffners_orig.jpg
    HEFFNER LEGACYSimblrHeffner Legacy Discussion │ Origin ID: Maladi
    @CitizenErased14 That would work for me! However, to prevent and incident like last time, I'd put a warning NOT to quote before the spoiler. XD That way, both sides are happy! ^-^
    edited December 2015
    Sounds good! Merry Christmas and thanks!! :kissing_heart:
    Post edited by pammiechick on
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • roseinblack69roseinblack69 Posts: 4,070 Member
    Well, I'm glad for Alex... Now he can be sure she belongs only to him ;)
    edited December 2015
    I just realized, we're all just taking her word for it... And I'm normally a pretty skeptical person when somebody tells me something... Hmmmmmmm..... This Jade has too much of an effect on me... And I'm not all that mad...
    EDIT: SHE'S A WITCH! I figured it out! She's a witch that's managed to put us all under a spell!
    Post edited by SilentWolf101 on
    Oh no, @SilentWolf101 discovered my big plot twist! :open_mouth:
    snvAF3B.png
    Added a spoiler to hide the plot twist! ;) XD
    Merry (early) Christmas to everyone! :) There will be no new chapter tomorrow, but daily updates will resume as normal on the 26th :blush:

pCQW2DO.png

** Today's chapter includes a phrase in German. The translation is under the following spoiler, if you would like to read it!

Though this time it's perfectly "safe", in general, it is recommended that you wait until AFTER reading the chapter to look at the translation, as sometimes these foreign phrases are SPOILERS for the chapter :) I will try to remember to warn people when it's a big spoiler though :tongue:
    Hör auf dein Herz - Listen to your heart
    snvAF3B.png
    Aww...I think a proposal is in order! ;) Thank you for the translation! It works out really well!
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
    Aww...I think a proposal is in order! ;) Thank you for the translation! It works out really well!

Hehehe you'll find out Saturday! ;)

I got a postcard in the mail from Windenburg today that I thought I should share with all of you ;)

Xkn4xtW.png
    snvAF3B.png
    Cuties! <3
    iTvMKZ8.jpg
  • roseinblack69roseinblack69 Posts: 4,070 Member
    As I'm learning German the translation was very useful, thank you for it @CitizenErased14 <3 Also thank you for Portuguese translation, I always think that someday I'll find a time to learn Portuguese ;) I like how you found a way to translate these sentences for your readers :) I'll be waiting for your new chapter as always, enjoy your holidays <3
    edited December 2015
    You're welcome @roseinblack69 ! :) My students always yell at me because I make them figure out translations on their own, instead of doing it for them :tongue: But you guys are my readers not my students, so I guess I can break my rule for you guys ;) Hehe (though I personally still think it's best to try to figure it out first, then look at the translation after you read :tongue:)

Enjoy your holiday too! :heart:
    Post edited by CitizenErased14 on
    snvAF3B.png
    I come bearing ANOTHER Christmas gift in addition to that cute little Christmas card! :tongue:

Here is a special present for anyone who wants a super-adorable sim to add to their game or story ;) Please take good care of my baby :heart: That's all I ask.

00.jpg

Download Alex HERE :) (Bonus: He already has some pretty good skills going on for you :lol: This is Adult-Alex aged-down in CAS, so he has lots of experience haha)
    snvAF3B.png
    Awwww, now I REALLY want sims 4!!!!! :P But my parents say no, sooo......... :(
    Awwwww, I can't wait! I'm all aboard the Jalex ship! And I can't wait for one of my ships to finally set sail! ^-^
    I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday yesterday :)

Today's chapter is very short (one of the shortest you'll ever see in this story) but hopefully also very sweet :) I love the screenshots in this one. The Bluffs are beautiful :blush:

1qFRwgB.png
    snvAF3B.png
    It is very short, I'll second that. XD And it was very sweet! ^-^

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top