Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Did The Sims 3 Store Give Away Barnacle Bay For Free?

I ask because I was looking at worlds the other day, and normally when you have not purchased something, it will tell you how much sim points it will cost, but for BB, it only said download. Is it for free now like Riverview?

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,920 Member
    lasummerb wrote: »
    I ask because I was looking at worlds the other day, and normally when you have not purchased something, it will tell you how much sim points it will cost, but for BB, it only said download. Is it for free now like Riverview?

They gave it away to a select group. I'm not sure who it was. I think you had to live in the US.

Then suddenly, some months later, it was available for download.

I'm not sure of the detail. I had already purchased BB when it was first released. But they upgraded it and added extra objects that I previously couldn't get. Then when it suddenly became available for download I just downloaded it and got a couple of new stairs.
  • lasummerblasummerb Posts: 2,761 Member
    @Karritz oh okay, thanks. Yes, I live in the US, but I wasn't for sure when it became available for download. Cool.
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    I just got BB for free! Yaaaay
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    edited January 2016
    @Karritz, I wondered about that! A few months ago when I started playing again, I noticed that Barnacle Bay had the blue D/L button. Assuming I bought it back in the day, I d/l it but it has never shown up on MY Page as being owned. No big deal, but strange all the same.

Guess I shouldn't look a 'gift horse in the mouth'. :*
    Post edited by Okblondee7 on
  • Luis_CarlosLuis_Carlos Posts: 228 Member
    Maybe some special offert in the past, I am not totally sure about to remember it, but don't worry, if you get enough simpoints by the sponsorpay you will can buy it withouth spending real money.
  • CharlottesmomCharlottesmom Posts: 7,015 Member
    Lucky the ones who got it for free! I paid for it and never use it.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    There was a promotion years ago though which those who advance ordered the Limited Edition of one of the EPs (Pets, Seasons, not sure now) were supposed to get BB for free. No one who qualified actually got it. Then EA apparently corrected their mistake a year or two later and even those of us who never qualified got it. Those who are just getting it now, perhaps you had it available to download all along and are only just noticing it? I'm sure it sat there waiting for me to see the Download button for ages before I realized I had it as well back then, even though I was one of the non-qualifiers.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • girlwhocriedtaylorgirlwhocriedtaylor Posts: 536 Member
    Is it still up for free download? If so, could someone link it to me, as I can't seem to find it?
  • thuggishsplicerthuggishsplicer Posts: 1,747 Member
    I'm not in the U.S. and I got BB for free too.
  • Jessa_DakkarJessa_Dakkar Posts: 9,737 Member
    Wow! That is awesome! I got it on release but this is great for everyone who hadn't yet gotten it. It's a small world but I really like it. :)
  • SurrealSurreal Posts: 3,241 Member
    Here you go: http://store.thesims3.com/barnacleBay.html?categoryId=12642&section=UpSell

Thanks for the refresher, @igazor - couldn't remember the wheres and whyfors of getting it free - just remember that I did. :smile:
  • Okblondee7Okblondee7 Posts: 2,607 Member
    edited January 2016
    When I started playing again at the end of last August, I came across Barnacle Bay: http://store.thesims3.com/barnacleBay.html?categoryId=12642&section=UpSell and it was a free download. I just assumed at the time that I had bought it previously and due to changing computers, I had lost it somehow. It still doesn't show up on My Page as being owned, though.

ETA: @igazor, that's probably it. One of my games was a Limited Edition; remember getting a thumb drive with a green Plumbob attached. It was before Origin, around 2009/10.
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I remember that promotion...

Back when I was trying to keep my collection all on disk I had planned on going to Gamestop for the release of Seasons at midnight like I had done before. I was sad about passing up the promotion but I wanted the physical copy more. For whatever reason I came home empty handed. Very impatient so I bought it digitally via Origin when I got home and by this time the pre order was over. Missed my chance for a free world. Went full digital after that and I paid for Barnacle Bay sadly.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    Pardon my ignorance,but I click on "redeem code" and all it asks me to do is put the code in. How do I download it for free? (sorry for asking a dumb question!)
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Do you have to have Origin to download BB for free? If so, I pass, but if not (my game and all eps are disc-based, and I refuse to update to the patch that ties the game to Origin), it could be fun. Thanks!
  • GITTE2001GITTE2001 Posts: 2,638 Member
    So you live in the US and you get thinsg for free?

Not fair.
    Stdlr9 wrote: »
    Do you have to have Origin to download BB for free? If so, I pass, but if not (my game and all eps are disc-based, and I refuse to update to the patch that ties the game to Origin), it could be fun. Thanks!

I downloaded it from thesims3.com store
    Is it still up for free download? If so, could someone link it to me, as I can't seem to find it?

If you go to thesims3.com store, click on worlds, then Barnacle Bay. It still says download from what I see. I don't know if it will be the same on yours.
  • u2020bulletu2020bullet Posts: 13 New Member
    Guess it's not free for everyone. Only option i have is to buy it, and for some reason it doesn't say "Barnacle Bay", it says "Complete Barnacle Bay Adventure".
    Guess it's not free for everyone. Only option i have is to buy it, and for some reason it doesn't say "Barnacle Bay", it says "Complete Barnacle Bay Adventure".

Same for me. I guess it's not free for me. :neutral:
  • Stdlr9Stdlr9 Posts: 2,744 Member
    Same for me, not free. Oh well, that's OK. I recently bought Monte Vista and Hidden Springs and haven't played them nearly enough! :smile:
  • Zeldaboy180Zeldaboy180 Posts: 5,997 Member
    If I remember correctly it was a way of apologizing for a mess up, I think it was Seasons or Island Paradise. The Us got Barnacle Bay for free. Entirity of Europe got free simpoints.

The reason anyone else might not have it is because I think only those places were heavily effected.

Or maybe it was because they had to Cancel one of the Island Paradise live broadcasts, I honestly don't remember.

I feel like @Cinebar would know as she was very active during the time, I know it was several years ago.
    e68338c368f106ae784e73111955bd86.png

When Barnacle Bay was first released it was called Barnacle Bay. I got it then.

Apparently there were issues with it but I don't know what they were.

It was the first world they made after Sunset Valley and Riverview.

Then somewhat later they rereleased Barnacle Bay and added a set and two staircases that were not with the original Barnacle Bay. I already owned that set but couldn't get the stair cases without buying Complete Barnacle Bay. I thought about it but decided it was a lot to pay to just get two staircases.

I had already paid for the original Barnacle Bay and the set that comes with the new Complete Barnacle Bay.

I couldn't get the new Complete Barnacle Bay for free.

Then a couple of years after it was released I noticed I could download it. So I did and got the two staircases.

The option to download the original Barnacle Bay is no longer available.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    I really don't know which version of BB I have (I bought a download code for it a long time ago really cheap off Amazon) because whenever I buy a world that way it never shows on the store page that I own it, but only appears in my Purchase History as having been bought. I do know the file name for the one I have is BarnacleBayRetailSet.Sims3Pack but don't know if they changed the name when they did that update to it.

Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    In my Purchase History I have the link to the original version of the world without the two staircases. But I can download the Complete Barnacle Bay from the Store page so that's what I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top