Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

some Sims 2 cheat questions from a newbie sims 2 player

SPARKY1922SPARKY1922 Posts: 5,965 Member
Hi,

After recently downloading Sims 2 UC version I was exited to start playing this game that I have never played except for a couple of times before and for the most part I am loving it, however there are several things that are driving me mad that are easily solvable in Sims 3.

The motives bars seem to go down very quickly so after searching the internet for a solution I found maxmotives which I used once but then the bladder motive bar started going down and it could not be brought back up even when the sims attempted to use the toilet so I am assuming that is some kind of glitch.

I then tried boolpop testingcheatsenabled true in the neighborhood view using various methods to type it in the cheat bar and then I think its motivedecay on/off where I thought I would be able to take control of the motive bars myself but that never worked either.

I am getting really frustrated with this as I have to play my game being able to control motive bars so that I can actually ensure my sims can get stuff done at home as well as be able to go out without always worrying about the motive bars dropping too quickly.

I read that using boolprop can cause glitches using it too much so does anyone know of any cheat that would work on the motive bars without it?

I also need to be sure my families aging is off as well because I like to play my families for a very long time and age them up when I choose to so I have tried Control Alt Delete aging on/off but that does not seem to work either and am wondering if there is anything else I can try.

I have also been looking for something like the death flower in sims 3 but do not think there is anything like it in sims 2 so am wondering what is the correct way of bringing a sims back to life if they die?

Also every time my sims travel and the loading screen appears do I need to save my game beforehand as I have noticed occasionally skills and bought items/object had disappeared on some returns back to the home lot?

Another thing I cannot manage to find out how to do (if it's possible) is to be able to look inside other lots and use build/buy in that lot without my sims having to visit that lot personally like you can do with Sims 3. Or if my sim has to visit the lot personally will their be an option to enter build/buy mode during the visit?

Also I do not think there is a clipboard when evicting sims out of their home lots and it appears the sims need to be saved back to the bin but I afraid to try that in case they use lose their skills and relationships etc? so is their anyway to evict properly without losing skills etc?

After I play Sims 2 I delete 2 cache files I think called group and accessory files but are there any other file deletions I need to make from any other folders to try and ensure smooth game-play, less corruptions and bloat of my game. I also cannot seem to find any saved games to save and back up?

I am used to playing with mods and CC in Sims 3 so do not mind adding any mods enabling me to have options listed above and any other benefits that will help with game-play features however after reading many blogs on what mods may be best I am confused about what to try plus some players have experienced problems adding back old mods to the UC version which appears to have different file paths to the disc version so I am hesitant to try anything in case it crashes my game or something.

Apologies for the long post and so many questions but I cannot continue with my game play until I discover how to fix the above challenges properly..

Comments

• Options
    cleo00cleo00 Posts: 1,088 Member
    Whoa, that's a lot! I'm about to take an Anthropology final exam, but I do a lot of cheaty cheat cheating in ts2 so if you give me til a little bit later I'd love to try and help! :)
  • Options
    Hi @cleo00,

First Good luck with your final exam sending good thoughts and thank you for offering to help. I feel like a total noob here and I have read everything online and tried everything I can think off and none of it works for me in game. I read about the blender mod so downloaded that but wanted to use the utility hack checker just to be sure there were no conflicts but no matter what advice I follow to try and get it to work I cannot get the utility hack to recognize a file path...to the downloads folder...

I knew Sims 2 was obviously going to be different in some ways to play but until I can get the basics sorted how I enjoy playing I cant move on to learning other things I want to learn. I already love the game so I don't want to give up-)

Going for a stiff drink as after hours of today this I think I deserve one LOL

• Options
    edited December 2015
    Okay, to make sure I don't miss any of your questions I have written them down.
    First off, I have been playing ts2 since it came out so I don't have the UC; I like collecting the game boxes so I've bought them all between 2004 and 2009. So if anything here is incorrect that could be why.

First question: maxmotives
    - Yes, it probably is a glitch. Motives in ts2 do go down much quicker than ts3, and all the maxmotives cheat does is bring all the motives back to full. They will then start going down again, and should be fillable by tasks, like using the toilet should refill it. If it is not, then I'd say yes a glitch. But that is as far insight as I can give as I've never had that happen.

Next: motivedecay on/off
    - Motivedecay on/off does exactly what it implies. Turning it off stops is pretty much like the static motives in ts3. That being said, they will not go up or down. If they were able to go back up, they could go down, and that defeats the purpose of motivedecay.

- If the motives are decaying too fast, I would try searching for a mod that makes them slower. I've never used one like that so I don't know of one. I have always used boolprop testingcheatsenabled true and just drag them around the same as you can do in ts3. To do this, you DO need to type it in in neighborhood view

booprop testingcheatsenabled true
    - For your question about having it on all of the time and using it all of the time, I have heard such things before. But I have never experienced any problems for using it constantly. In fact, I turn it on in the neighborhood view before loading the family every time I play. There is so much you can do with it and my gameplay would not be the same without it. It reminds me of a prehistoric version of ts3's Master Controller.
    - It is also, as I just mentioned, how I control motives the rare times that I actually let the motives decay.

aging & dead sims
    - I've never had the aging off cheat not work. You said Ctrl Alt Delete in your post, but I am going to assume that you meant Ctrl Shift C.
    - If you try again and it still doesn't work, in your second post you mentioned the sim blender, from Simbology. You can use that to control ages in place of the cheat. What you'd wind up doing is letting them age, then using the sim blender to reset the age. It's been a month or two since I've played ts2 so I can't completely picture the pie menu, but I believe there is optioms to +/- 3 days from their age, maybe an option to reset to the start of the lifespan, and there is the option to change the age group completely. I use that when I'm too lazy to just cheat toddlers directly into teens to send to University and so forth. You can do it in reverse as well. If your sim ages into an elder, you can select adult and then age "up" into an adult.
    - For reviving dead sims, the only way I know of is with the paranormal career reward which you will have to google the cheat to unlock all reward objects. I've never tried to revive a dead sim since I play generationally so I want my dead sims to stay dead. The object is the Grim Reaper's phone, which for a large sum of money, your sim can come back to life. If you don't pay enough they come back as a zombie, which I will leave you to check out all of the occult states in ts2. I'm sure there are other ways, but this is all I know of.

Saving Before Loading Screens
    - You do NOT need to save before each travel or loading screen, however I am always paranoid I'll forget to save so I save my games (ts2 and 3) about every 20 minutes. Again, I've never had anything with objects disappearing if you don't, but if you are worried about it I would save. Myself I've never had that issue.

Lot Viewing/Build&Buy Mode
    - No, it is not possible to preview lots the way it is in ts3. The closest you will get is to save your family, return to the neighborhood, and enter the lot. Nobody has to live there. Do your thing, return to the neighborhood, then reload your family.

Clipboard
    You are correct, there is no clipboard in ts2. There is the sim bin, which is the panel at the bottom that has various families in it. If you are looking to move your family to a new house in neighborhood view, simply evict them from their current house. They will go into that bin. They will retain all of their skills and relationships and so forth.

Cache files
    - I only ever delete the groups.cache and accessory.cache ... You also can safely delete cigen.package, content registry, and thumbnails (says so on ModTheSims), but I only ever remember to do the two cache files.

I don't use a ton of mods for ts2. But I'd definitely poke through threads on simbology and simlogical (just google simlogical sims 2). There is a third, that I know I have an entire folder dedicated to, but I will have to wait until I get home and can turn on my computer to remember what that one is.
    I give you my word that sim blender is safe to use, even if that hack checker thing doesn't know so (unless, as I mentioned at the top, if it is different for the UC but I find that unlikely)

If I didn't answer anything, or anything is confusing, let me know! :)
  • Options
    @cleo00

OMG thanks for all this info it is much appreciated, the way you write booprop i thought it was spelt boolprop? just checking as said before I have tried so many ways to spell this in neighborhood view in lowercase or a mixture of upper and lowercase as I also like to play with cheats on all the time and would defo prefer to be able to drag the motive bars up by cursor.

I finally managed to get the utility hack checker to work and added the blender mod just to try it in game and it does work but of course the object was left at home so every-time their motive bars dropped I had to send them home to refresh before going back out again it wasn't until the last 10 minutes I thought about putting one in each in their inventories in the hope I can use them off the home lot to keep the motive bars up-)

This is what I will try next if the cheat does not work again and I cannot drag the bars up by cursor as its better than nothing..

I think I also managed to get the aging off cheat to work finally so I am very pleased about that-)

Thanks for the info on death and the phone I will research that more as said before I play my Sims and families beyond epic and in this game I get really worried something quick and unexpected could happen and one ( or more ) of them may die, oh how I love the easy death flower solution in Sims 3..

I did learn to go into lots from the neighborhood view and use buy/build so that makes it easier to re-design some community lots while I get brave enough to learn how to download player made lots (I am crap at building) but more importantly I think I need SPE or something similarly named to download lots properly and again I think this needs a fix for the UC collection.

On this adding mods note I wondered if there was any way to check for bad/corrupt/conflicts for CC before downloading it into my game as I am dying to get some modern hair and clothes to try out. I run all things CC through Delphy's apps for sims 3 but cannot seem to find anything similar for Sims 2?

Also is there a cheat to get sims back into CAS as I cant seem to find one?

I had to laugh as I was trying to place some community lots from the bin not realizing you could just plop them down anywhere without having to place a world editor size lot first lol I really consider this a bonus..

Maybe I was doing something wrong with the earlier game saves as I have not lost anything from that first couple of times.

I am finally able to feel safe at moving my sims into the bin knowing they will retain their skills and abilities which I am assuming I can also move them to another world as well then if I want to in future...without them losing skills etc.

I am also struggling with this time thing where the time does not change when coming back to the home lot after going out, do you know if there are any mods that will alter time frames to normal days/times?

I would be grateful for any of your advice on mods/CC that would be useful but I realize I will have to find them as UC compatible as I read there appears to be file path changes between UC and disc version so I am treading carefully although now I am able to use the hacker detection utility I will feel a little more secure about trying them out.

Also as long as i check for graveyards on empty residential lots (I am assuming that no community lots apart from the graveyards have gravestones) I can save that empty residential lot to the bin to maybe use later or simply delete it by bulldozing the lot if I don't want to save is okay and will not corrupt my game? I have read that occupied lots cannot be saved to the bin or it will corrupt the neighborhood?

Is it possible to save and backup games as I do not recognize anything in the folders to save unless I save a whole neighborhood somehow instead?

My apologies as once again as I seem to have asked as many more questions as you have already answered but your explanations have really helped me a lot and I am grateful as its helping me to step up my game instead of feeling totally stuck plus I think your post will be great help to all those new to Sims 2 players that are still able to get UC from EA presently.

What is your favorite Sims series? I would have said mine was Sims 3 with a quick dip into 4 now and them just for the differences but I am totally mesmerized at the moment with all the little animations that seem to be lacking in other series and the way unexpected thing happen then you have to figure out whats going on lol Also the way they just go off and make conversation or start some activity unlike the way sims 3 sims stand there gazing out the window even on high free will-)

For example while my sim was at work a notice popped up on screen while he was working which I hardly read and just clicked absentmindedly and the next thing I notice hes home early and crying his eyes out, I,m like What's going on here, he got the sack because I clicked the wrong action and he was still crying about it periodically for the next several hours, it feels like such realism and I was quite shocked that something like this could happen as he had already worked his way up quite high in his job so I will pay more attention in future-)
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    Oh, yes, it is boolprop,sorry for the typo. That's a lot to type on a phone.

Putting the sim blender into their inventories will not work, just a heads up.

I don't recall needing SimPE (Sim Package Editor) to download lots, but then again the last time I downloaded a lot thesims2.com was still up. Wow! :D

There is something to check downloads, don't remember if it is Delphy or not. Done with the semester now so I'll turn my trusty ancient PC on tomorrow to check for you. It's getting late now.

No similar Edit In CAS cheat. The best you'll get is you can give them Plastic Surgery via the sim blender.
    As for skin, eyes, or even the genes they'll pass on to their children you would need to install SimPE and read a tutorial on the Sim Surgery function.

For the time changing mod, I have not looked for that myself. So I am not much help on that one.

You can indeed save your homes to the bin. I do that with Uni dorms I build to plop down in the other towns. Myself I have never tried to bin an occupied lot.

You can make a backup of the entire neighborhood. Since ts2 is not open world and the other families don't age when you are playing yours, you can essentially play any house in the town and therefore the save is the neighborhood.
    *I'd highly reccomend this. My Belladonna Cove is corrupt so I can no longer play in that neighborhood and since I don't know when it became corrupt I cannot fix it. So having a backup of the neighborhoods you play the most would be a smart idea.

Yes, I remember the job questions in ts2. You never really know which one to pick. They have them in ts4 but not as often as ts2 would.

Even though I play 3 more often, 2 is still my favorite. As I was around 7 or 8 when it was released and I will be 20 in April so that is the majority of my life if you think about it :D

Again, if I didn't answer anything let me know and I'll get on my computer to check those couple things for you in the morning. I saw your thing says en_GB so more like late afternoon/possibly evening for you. :)
  • Options
    Hi cleo00,

Thanks for the extra info wow typing all that on your phone kudos-) yeah I played until early hours then went to bed..

Dare I ask how you thought the exam went? I hope you are confident..

still no work on the boolprop so its home in between outings to put the bars back up and back out again and while annoying its still better than nothing.

I really am used to playing 3 and only bought 4 to try and see what the differences were but I am still not sure about 4 and always wanted to try 2 and now I have I can see why players loved it and think I will be playing for some time, I also love watching sims 2 playlist series on you tube as some of the stories are really interesting and it shows how beautiful the sims can be made to look.

I will always fire up 3 to me it was my first sims game and I have played it and know like no other series and of course the open worlds are stunning.

I will wait to for you to fire up your old PC for yet even more useful info :)
  • Options
    Okay well, the third folder of mods I use are by a place you can't mention on this site (think AM mod) but for ts2. Many of them just by looking at the package are hard to see what they mean, but I remember the .Zip came with instructions if you manage to find those and they work with UC. But they are just little tweaks, like no this and auto that.

The program is called DownloadOrganizer, and the thumbnail says MTS2 so I assume that means it was from there. It is not saying if it is Delphy or not though, and it's been too long to remember.

The correct way to type in the cheat is boolprop testingcheatsenabled true
    To be able to drag the motives it must be done in neighborhood view. Since you say it still isn't working, does that mean nothing happens when you Shift Click on your sims either? No fancy boolprop menu?

Just woke up 15 minutes ago so I'm probably missing something from your post :p

I think my exams went really well. Both yesterday only took me a half an hour out of the 2 hours we were given for each.
  • Options
    edited December 2015
    @cleo00,

I am glad you feel your exams went well what did you manage to do for the other 11/2 hours LOL sounds like I am chatting to a budding genius :)

I copied your version of the boolprop treat and hallelujah finally it worked I could not believe it after so much trying beforehand, the joy I felt being able to manage the motive bars was way beyond normal behavior lol

I saved/backup the neighborhood folder is this the correct folder to save re with regards my current playable neighborhoods and sim family? If so is this the folder I would add back if my game went wrong but wanted to play those neighborhoods/sims again.

I have decided to continue adding mods logically for example add mods that may assist with game play problems and glitches before adding anything considered to enhance entertainment, with that in mind:

most online blog advice is to get some sort of mod that stops or repairs neighborhood corruption as the general opinion of the Sims 2 community as the game is allegedly prone to neighborhood corruption and at some point a player is bound to run into this. I wonder what your experience is regards this and if you had to resort to mods for this problem?

I wasn't aware we were not to mention certain things on this site so if you would not mind giving providing me another hint to the AM you mention as I probably do know but just cannot think of it right now -)

Honestly your help with all this has got me playing a much better less stressful more enjoyable game so thanks for that. :)

Post edited by SPARKY1922 on
  • Options
    The mod I mean is the non-Nraas mod that does similar things as Master Controller does. I'm not sure how to explain without just saying it :P The acronym of the site is a diminutive form of Matthew minus a T :D

I do have a program that checks for neighborhood corruption, but all it did was tell me that Belladonna Cove was corrupt, it didn't give me any solution. I noticed because sims in my households were randomly vanishing from all existence. So I had to restart a 13 generation thing in a new neighborhood. Sucked, really. And again, since I didn't know when the corruption happened, there wasn't much I could do at that point.
    I am now on generation 7 again and am better at backing things up.

Myself I backup the entire ts2 folder since the PC is as old as I am so there's no telling when it'll kerplunk and I'd hate to lose years worth of this game.

But backing up the entire neighborhood folder works, or if you only play in particular neighborhoods you can backup the corresponding one.
    I am not sure if it looks the same for UC, but this is how they're identified in mine.
    • N001 = Pleasantview
    • N002 = Strangetown
    • N003 = Veronaville
    • G001 = Riverblossom Hills
    • E001= Desiderata Valley
    • F001 = Belladonna Cove

And then if you created any neighborhoods yourself I don't remember what they'll show up as but they'd be in there too.
  • Options
    Hi @cleo00,

I am more awake today I get it re the mods lol...........

13 generations wow I just cant let mine go for some reason and if do there are multiple backups saved if I want to go back and play them from earlier-) It must be really satisfying to play that many generations though.

I have backed up the whole folder as well as the neighborhood file save so just hope I don't do anything stupid unwittingly to create corruption as of course we have no real idea if our saves are corrupted either if its not immediately obvious for a while.

I have been really busy today but also got sidetracked researching the new Sims 4 get together expansion pack as it appeared to show synchronized sim dancing and I thought that's got to be a PR stunt but its not so the expansion pack became a must have even if I don't explore it for some time, my sims 3 games are full of dance animation mods I just luv em...........

When you get some time and your old PC fired up I would love to see some photos of your epic Sims 2 family.. :)