May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do You Use Cheats When You Play?

stephAnie1864stephAnie1864 Posts: 200 Member
Im just wondering, how many of us actually use cheats when playing the game?

When I first started playing The Sims 2 all those years ago I was constantly using maxmotives and motherload because I had no idea what I was doing. I also used the cheat to turn aging off and to force twins in the Sims 2.

With Sims 3 I rarely ever used cheats and now with The Sims 4 I have yet to use any.

The only cheat that I will probably use in The Sims 4 is the move objects one.

I try not to use cheats unless my sims are stuck or broken or something and needs to be reset.

Comments

• Options
    PsychoSimXXPsychoSimXX Posts: 4,403 Member
    If I am attempting a challenge the only mods or cheats I use are for fixing bugs. Example: Only twin girl births. When I am not doing a challenge I use the aging off, money cheats and motive cheats.

Follow me on Twitter

Check out my Gallery

Peace, Love, and Unity.

`•.,¸¸,.•´¯ ¯`•.,¸¸,.•´
  • Options
    AmiutzaAmiutza Posts: 1,796 Member
    bb.moveobjects is my life. Other than that, I might use the one to take away money from my sims and cas.fulleditmode so I can get the skin details in after sims age up.
    hhHD2XB.png
    My tumblr - A world of clutter and color
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    I use them a lot in setting my game up - so that Sims I make actually, say, already have skills if they aren't teens, or have a higher-level job if I make them as an adult. I also use cas.fulleditmode to edit townies.

I'm zero-guilt on cheats, personally. It's not like there are rules to break, right? They're just in-game options accessed via text-entry not via the UI.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    AlanSimsAlanSims Posts: 717 Member
    edited November 2015
    I rarely do. I think working for something makes this game fun. Jobs for example, you may not get paid that much at first, but it's fun to explore the town and find collectibles and sell them, that's what makes me enjoy the game and discover new things. Sometimes I use motherlode or FreeRealEstate but that's only when I have something in mind for certain households.

Back in TS1, yes, I did use the money cheat sometimes because I was more of a builder back then. TS2 was also very fun and I don't remember using that often, probably Aging Off because I wanted more time to enjoy my Sim. With TS3, only to get a better house maybe, I don't even remember.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    I don't use cheats when playing, it's more fun to have Sims earn their money and needs are not too hard to keep at a good level. I do play on the long life span or have aging turned off competely.
    As for building, I do use cheats, I've been using move objects less and less, because I hate having to activate a cheat to place a lot, so when I use MOO I always make sure you can place everything without enacting the cheat. I often use bb.ignoregameplayunlocksentitlement, especially for public lots - never for houses my own Sims will live in (they have to earn it), but most of the things I build, my own Sims won't live in. I do occasionally like to use bb.showhiddenobjects to get some cool debug objects like the coffee pouch and other things that make a house look more "lived in". Again a cheat that requires extensive testing before uploading a lot to the Gallery. I do resize decorative objects quite a bit, especialy paintings on large walls - and rugs of course. I'm also very fond of the F5 function (which isn't technically a cheat, because not entered in the cheat box).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I'm the same as luthienrising in that I use plenty of cheats to set up my town. However for my main sim I like leveling her up myself.
  • Options
    3KNPen3KNPen Posts: 2,825 Member
    As a general rule I try to cheat as little as possible because for me it makes the game more interesting and I like building my Sims from scratch I also tend to pay challenges where it's not allowed. I do on occasion use the money cheats when building but more often then not if I'm using a money cheat it's to lower the amount of money they have.

I do often have to use reset Sim mostly for the skill bar staying above their head thing. Not sure if that counts as a cheat or not.

I did have to cheat once to complete a tier of the Collector aspiration because I have the mailbox glitch but I felt really bad about doing it lol.
    ~ ~ ~
  • Options
    jsnjsn Posts: 624 Member
    The cheat I use most often is cas.fulleditmode and shift+click --> edit in cas so I can quickly edit any ugly townies that walk by :D
    tumblr_ntxblj8QDK1s6z4zdo2_250.gif
  • Options
    Ravager619Ravager619 Posts: 3,738 Member
    I use fullrealestate when I start a game. No way I'm building a home and not letting my sim family live elsewhere. I also use cas.fulleditmode if I need to change a lifespan to help with my sim family's story. My second generation sim is marrying Don Lothario, and I want both of them to be Young Adults.
    "That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero." - Stan Lee
  • Options
    jimmysnanjimmysnan Posts: 8,303 Member
    yes, as above free realestate as I build the houses and none my sims could afford otherwise.
  • Options
    pinkishpinkish Posts: 693 Member
    edited November 2015
    I'm also very fond of the F5 function (which isn't technically a cheat, because not entered in the cheat box).

What does the F5 function do ?

I use cas.fulleditmode after a wedding to change the last name.
    If I have several people in my household I will use the aspirations cheat (on an aspiration I am not going to use) to get the steel bladder, once I have that I put it back to the aspiration they are going for.
  • Options
    pinkish wrote: »
    I'm also very fond of the F5 function (which isn't technically a cheat, because not entered in the cheat box).
    What does the F5 function do ?

I don't really know either, but it might be to bring up the cheat window so you can use all the cheats
  • Options
    LosaruTaiyoLosaruTaiyo Posts: 10,807 Member
    I have aging off, although as it's in the settings, I don't consider it cheating as it's just allowing me to play my own style (AKA slow)....lol

I use motherlode admittedly in the beginning when I'm housing my sims that I don't really plan on playing. Once the funds begin to dwindle, then comes getting actual jobs.

Other than that, I use some in building to try and get the right looks of things I'm making, and occasionally CAS FullEdit if either a townie is looking weird, someone needs a better haircut, or if a bug happens like today. Put in a household of two sisters, one a stick the other almost amazonian. Came back after adding another household to another world and the Amazonian was as skinny as her sister. :D I was literally laughing for 10 minutes as that has never happened to me before.
    D6PfW.jpg?1322673184

I have no memory of this place. Time to start anew I guess
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    Yes! Mostly motherlode and freerealestate. I never use the cheats for motives or careers though. I use MOO in buildmode.

I don't consider aging off as a cheat since it's in game options.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

When I first started playing The Sims 2 all those years ago I was constantly using maxmotives and motherload because I had no idea what I was doing. I also used the cheat to turn aging off and to force twins in the Sims 2.

With Sims 3 I rarely ever used cheats and now with The Sims 4 I have yet to use any.

I try not to use cheats unless my sims are stuck or broken or something and needs to be reset.

I'm a lot like you. In Sims 2 I used cheats a lot (a whole lot). I rarely played without cheating. It was all about instant gratification for me then.

In Sims 3, I started enjoying the grind of it. And I would only cheat every great once in a while.

Now, in Sims 4, I use cheats even less often. I do use cas.fulleditmode when my sim gets too chunky. I'll save up and spend the points on the instant thin potion, then trash it and edit them in cas myself (I hate how muscular and thin they get with the potion). But I've only used other cheats when something glitches (like aspirations).

I just find non-cheating much more fun. I'm not completely against it, I just have more fun not cheating.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    edited November 2015
    ChelleJo wrote: »

I'm a lot like you. In Sims 2 I used cheats a lot (a whole lot). I rarely played without cheating. It was all about instant gratification for me then.

In Sims 3, I started enjoying the grind of it. And I would only cheat every great once in a while.

Now, in Sims 4, I use cheats even less often. I do use cas.fulleditmode when my sim gets too chunky. I'll save up and spend the points on the instant thin potion, then trash it and edit them in cas myself (I hate how muscular and thin they get with the potion). But I've only used other cheats when something glitches (like aspirations).

I just find non-cheating much more fun. I'm not completely against it, I just have more fun not cheating.

Same.
  • Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    I couldn't live without bb.moveobjects, it's the best cheat ever. Using it with clutter adds a bit of realism and does wonders with immersion.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    @pinkish @jimmysnan F5 allows you to place an object on 1/4th of a square as opposed to the regular half square. You can place items closer together without using MOO and save a lot of space too. :)
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    s1mszzangs1mszzang Posts: 797 Member
    bb.moveobjects & 9 or 0 to move objects up or down
  • Options
    @pinkish @jimmysnan F5 allows you to place an object on 1/4th of a square as opposed to the regular half square. You can place items closer together without using MOO and save a lot of space too. :)

Thanks i appreciate you taking the time to explain. As you see, I do not cheat much. I will have to try this, might be very interesting
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Nevah evah evah!

BUT I'm starting to use moveobjects here and there I guess it does make the house look a bit more nice overall, though something in my mind still screams "don't use cheats!!!". :p
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    lovebypondsidelovebypondside Posts: 1,364 Member
    I definitely do use them and often.

I try to avoid using money, aspiration, and skill cheats - but I use freerealestate on a lot because I like to sim in the builds I make without having to work my sims up to be able to afford it. Rags to riches just isn't my favorite playstyle.
    Origin ID: byscreenside
    Twitter: @byscreenside
    Youtube: YT

• Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    The only cheat I use regularly is MOO. I have a mod that allows draggable needs as well as setting the household funds.

I sometimes use skill and career cheats, but I find them tedious. NRAAS spoiled me in Sims 3, so I usually just level my sims up normally for skills and careers.
  • Options
    The only cheat I use regularly is MOO. I have a mod that allows draggable needs as well as setting the household funds.

I sometimes use skill and career cheats, but I find them tedious. NRAAS spoiled me in Sims 3, so I usually just level my sims up normally for skills and careers.

You do not think mods are cheats? Not accusing, just asking as I thought they were. Now, I feel better using them
  • Options
    YouMeAtSixYouMeAtSix Posts: 460 Member
    I use cheats in TS4 but I used them a lot more in TS3.