Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Waaaah! My CAW is crashing at launch!

I don't understand! CAW and I used to get along so well! But now, suddenly, it is crashing on me!
The excuse it gives is fairly common: Attempted to read or write protected memory. This is often an indication that other memory is corrupt.
I did some research on this error message. Apparently it cropped quite up a bit in 2010 after the release of the Ambitions patch. It seemed to clash with some of the features included in that patch.
But this is not 2010, and this is happening, out of the blue, to me.
I've tried:
Scanning for viruses
Running as administrator
Running in compatibility mode
Uninstalling and reinstalling
Running the .exe file in program files

That's all the tricks I know, but CAW is being stubborn.
Why is this happening? What do I do?

Comments

• Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    Patch 1.69 and Create-A-World don't get along right now.

Maxis is currently looking into it and should patch Create-A-World soon. :)
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147
    You're a :star:
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    rosey1579 wrote: »
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

They talk about CAW in this thread with the new update and no word on when it will be fixed but this update has caused a lot of problems for some http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/860901/small-update-coming-to-the-pc-version-of-the-sims-3/p1
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

They talk about CAW in this thread with the new update and no word on when it will be fixed but this update has caused a lot of problems for some http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/860901/small-update-coming-to-the-pc-version-of-the-sims-3/p1

Oooooohhhhhhhh!
    Well, I hope they fix it soon. I wonder if they'll update CAW or TS3 for the fix...
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

Oooooohhhhhhhh!
    Well, I hope they fix it soon. I wonder if they'll update CAW or TS3 for the fix...

Many waiting on SimGuruDrake who started that thread for an answer.Its not just CAW that is an issue some cant play their game after the update. I avoided the update. Some of us have an older version of the game that does not require origin and we have auto update turned off in origin options . Did your game require origin before the update? Are you playing disc or download?
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

Oooooohhhhhhhh!

Many waiting on SimGuruDrake who started that thread for an answer.Its not just CAW that is an issue some cant play their game after the update. I avoided the update. Some of us have an older version of the game that does not require origin and we have auto update turned off in origin options . Did your game require origin before the update? Are you playing disc or download?

Mmm... Download...
    I remember clearly seeing the update go through... I love how every time an update comes out something breaks...
    :joy:
  • KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,923 Member
    edited November 2015
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

Oooooohhhhhhhh!

Mmm... Download...
    I remember clearly seeing the update go through... I love how every time an update comes out something breaks...

If you really want to use CAW now and own the old version of the Base Game but it is digital. I think the problem may be caused by having to have your internet connected while installing and the patch just downloads automatically.

I have the old disk version of the game, but I've been thinking if I had the digital version and got really desperate I would probably try doing the following:

1. Uninstall base game only
    2. Download the super patch for patch 1.67 and keep it safe
    3. Have Origin open and go into the menu
    Origin | Application Settings | Advanced | Keep game installers after game has been installed

4. Check the check box to Keep Installers after the game is installed.
    5. Install the base game again (this will get the installers on your computer in:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Origin Games\The Sims 3

There will be a folder named __Installer
    Inside you will find the setup and other necessary files.
    6. Uninstall the Base Game
    7. Disconnect from the Internet
    8. Install the base game using the installer files
    9. Patch using the downloaded patch 1.67

I don't know if it will work and you'll have to be desperate to uninstall base game and reinstall base game and uninstall base game and reinstall base game and patch with 1.67

EDIT: Of course this won't work if they also changed code in the digital download version of the base game. But I don't think they would have done that when the patch downloads automatically when you install the base game.

EDIT2 : You might be able to get away with watching the download of the base game carefully and disconnecting from the interned as soon as the download has ended and before it starts installing. That would prevent it connecting to download patch 1.69
    Nooooooooooooooo!
    4vlj4y.jpg
    Thanks @Colton147147

Oooooohhhhhhhh!

Mmm... Download...

agree with karritz above if you have the old version of the game. I agree on updates braking things too