Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Playing with Memories in The Sims 4.

I thought I would make a thread about memories since I feel like it's a bit underrated around here or maybe it's simply unknown.

Playing with Memories.

In the top corner of your game play screen under camera controls there's a picture icon. If you click it you'll be taken to your screenshots and memories.
a0j9AIF.png

If you click "view screenshots" you'll have the option to set any shot containing your selected sim as a memory.
a15Six2.png

From there you'll be able to write a blurb about the picture, and set an emotional response via the drop down menu under the photo.
ezE4605.png

Now here's where it gets really cool. Your sim can then chose to reminisce about that memory by clicking on the rain cloud icon.
WrhIbz2.png

Your sim will then reminisce about the selected memory.
Tuw8Db7.png

And react accordingly.
TrdOx5g.png

This is a great way to force emotional responses and add a little more immersion to your sim story.

I hope you all enjoy memories. :O)

Comments

• Options
    AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Cool! I tried that once but I don't think it had worked, I'll definitely have to try it again. :)
  • Options
    IbeanobswifeIbeanobswife Posts: 166 Member
    Thank you for sharing that. I did know know about that feature.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    "the cake was seriously delicious." <3

Agree, thanks for reminding me! It's really cool and I rememer the first time I heared about it I was super hyped.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    What I do not like much about this is the fact that memories in TS4 have to me made manually which means they have to be necessarily screenshots. Also they don't remember them autonomously. I wish they'd just remember them at random or something.

I still think TS2 memories were the best then TS3 then TS4 though at least in TS4 they do somehow influence a sims's emotion which I really like.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    SennieSennie Posts: 2,708 Member
    Hmm I'm going to have to give more Awesomes as I appear to be the only one who Liked your post :)

I've owned the Sims 4 for an entire year now and I never even realised that this was possible with the memories :) So it was definitely unknown by me! Thank you for sharing this with us :) I can't wait to try this out for myself when I get a new internet connection, hopefully within ten days time. That way I can download the Sims 4 and then I can give this a try.

Thanks for informing us of this :)

Matthew.
  • Options
    HalloMolliHalloMolli Posts: 2,720 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    What I do not like much about this is the fact that memories in TS4 have to me made manually which means they have to be necessarily screenshots. Also they don't remember them autonomously. I wish they'd just remember them at random or something.

I still think TS2 memories were the best then TS3 then TS4 though at least in TS4 they do somehow influence a sims's emotion which I really like.

TS3 memories were super annoying. I like it better how TS4 handles it. Can't remember TS2, though.
    "[...] and everything will be okay in the end. If it's not okay, then it's not the end."

• Options
    MightydanMightydan Posts: 2,983 Member
    edited November 2015
    The only problem I have is that every freaking screenshot you've taken shows up when creating a memory.
  • Options
    AyumapAyumap Posts: 3,425 Member
    edited November 2015
    I don't care for the way sims 4 handles memories either, i prefer the sims 2 method as i dont even notice memories in s3, maybe i have them off.

Sims 4 memory system is like using a s3 mood light to me. Only useful when i "need" a sim to feel a particular emotion.The system is very disconnected in my opinion.

I'd prefer to see it improved and better implemented for general game play.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    Sweet_ItalySweet_Italy Posts: 898 Member
    Wow! I had no idea this was a thing. That's really cool! I'll definitely be using this from now on!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Twitch: Sweet_Italy ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Gallery: Sweet_Italy~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Check out my Showcase Thread!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    lmkiturelmkiture Posts: 1,206 Member
    I wish it implemented a memory system like TS2, were they automatically have memories storied. Then, you could click them to reminisce or if the same thing happens again they remember it.

I have too many screenshots to go through and I usually end up clearing them out after a while.
  • Options
    MrSimmisMrSimmis Posts: 1,693 Member
    I knew the memory sytem existed but to be honest I have just never used it!
  • Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I never paid any attention to it before thank-you for pointing it out , I'm going to start to use that feature .
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    edited November 2015
    HalloMolli wrote: »

TS3 memories were super annoying. I like it better how TS4 handles it. Can't remember TS2, though.

I surely don't prefer TS4 ones, TS2 all the way. But at least in TS3 they were kind of similar to TS2 ones, it memorised when a sim married etc, though it had many unnecessary/redundant memories in the system which made no sense. For example everytime my sim got stuck at an elevator's door it would save it as a memory "XX Sim got stuck at the elevator door" lool it's just so stupid :p

TS2 memories were simple in perspective but had the most hilarious descriptions ever. And they didn't require bloody screenshots all over the place.

But I'm very content by the fact that at least TS4 like TS2 came with them in the base game, which makes total sense.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited November 2015
    HalloMolli wrote: »

I surely don't prefer TS4 ones. At least in TS3 they were kind of similar to TS2 ones, it memorised when a sim married etc, though it had many unnecessary/redundant memories in the system which made no since. For example everytime my sim got stuck at an elevator's door it would save it as a memory "XX Sim got stuck at the elevator door" lool it's just so stupid :p

TS2 memories were simple in perspective but had the most hilarious descriptions ever. And they didn't require bloody screen shots all over the place.

But I'm very content by the fact that at least TS4 like TS2 came with them in the base game, which makes total sense.

Now that i just read this I remember sims 3 memories now lol. Yeah those don't bother me and sometimes the way they're worded make me laugh, but i tend to just close the notifications. Even that i prefer to the sims 4 memories and that's really only because it feels like more of an after thought. It deserves an update in a patch imo.
    2m60a6q.jpg
    *There's nothing wrong with loving the Sims 4, there's also nothing wrong with seeking improvements.
    A list of Mods I use.|My Sims 4 Mod and CC "Master" post. Helpful Links included.
  • Options
    Ponder the SimPonder the Sim Posts: 3,054 Member
    I like this system because it lets me pick and choose what my sim finds memorable.
  • Options
    xooemilyxooemily Posts: 133 Member
    edited November 2015
    I've never used it before, maybe I should more because it's a nice way to get your sims feelings emotions besides using the magic tea brewer. <3
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Interesting - So could sims reminisce on their own? I think I'd like this better if they can do so, or even with friends or family. From what I'm understanding right now it seems a bit forced and only used for emotions more so than used naturally for the sake of memories. But thanks for sharing anyway - I'll be playing around with this soon.
  • Options
    meeounmeeoun Posts: 2,173 Member
    Trashmagic wrote: »
    Interesting - So could sims reminisce on their own? I think I'd like this better if they can do so, or even with friends or family. From what I'm understanding right now it seems a bit forced and only used for emotions more so than used naturally for the sake of memories. But thanks for sharing anyway - I'll be playing around with this soon.

Nope.
  • Options

I'm not sure if they do or not, I've just started setting up memories. I will update with my findings.
  • Options
    Tinyfazza84Tinyfazza84 Posts: 106 Member
    My elders can now be reminiscent of the past like real ones are :)
    Origin ID Tinyfazza84
  • Options

I'm not sure if they do or not, I've just started setting up memories. I will update with my findings.

They don't unfortunately. I wish there was an option to make them create memories (or not), autonomously reminisce (or not), as well as show an animation depending on the emotion tied to the memory.
    2m60a6q.jpg
  • Options
    TrashmagicTrashmagic Posts: 977 Member
    Aww darn, well I do wish for something like this. I think it would be real nice to see two old friends talking about the old days.
    Just over Thanksgiving my cousins and I got together and shared memories of when we were little - it was nice. So yeah I'd love something like that.
  • Options
    Hopefully they expand on this in the future. But for now I'm having fun with it hehe. :O)
    5pcwW6y.png
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    I knew it was there but never explored it at all. Definitely something to consider using at times!

Question: If you delete your screenshots in your sims 4 folder, does that remove the ones tagged as memories as well?
  • Options
    kremesch73kremesch73 Posts: 10,474 Member
    edited November 2015
    I think it's impressive that you take the time to do that. It just goes to show how differently we all play.

Me, on the other hand, I'm an eloper, I age babies up the second they're born, etc... I just want to play the game and burn through my lots without taking the time to piece everything together, which is why I liked S2's system even though it clearly caused issues. Kudos to you.
    Dissatisfied with Sims 4 and hoping for a better Sims 5