Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Art of Sims Storytelling

Comments

• _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,747 Member
    edited April 2022
    Hi, everyone! It's been a while since a question was posted in here, so I figured I'd show up with a new one... But I don't have anything in mind at the moment. Instead, maybe it's fun to try something a little different!

Mini writing challenge
    It's a small writing exercise, basically. The idea is simple: someone posts a random, interesting (to them) game picture in the thread without any text. The next person thinks up what is happening narratively in that picture in a short paragraph. I've done this a few times in the past and found that it works great for training improvisation! And sometimes it's just plain fun to see how others interpret your game's madness 🤭

If you guys want to try, I'll go first:
    03-19-22_10-22-35-am.jpg

It can be one person commenting, or multiple people. Then someone else posts a different picture, and we start over. I don't know - I thought it might be interesting to try for a bit. If not, no harm done- we'll just go back to writing questions instead. 😊
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • HermioneSimsHermioneSims Posts: 774 Member
    edited April 2022
    It sounds funny, let me try!

I'm using a spoiler tag so that others can write their entry without interference ;)
    "Little Maddie had always felt like there was something special about full Moon nights, it seemed to her that everything was possible. So, when one night she was woken up by a funny blue light bouncing just above her bed, she didn't feel particularly scared nor surprised. On the contrary, she happily followed it in the garden, ready to spend some time together with it and with a goofy old transparent man resembling the grandpa she had lost a few years earlier, who seemed to be there waiting for her. Delighted, little Maddie run toward him, and they played together for the rest of the night.
    The following morning, when her parents found her asleep just below the swing, she tried to explain to them why she went there, but they didn't seem to believe in her story. They mainly felt relieved to see her being safe, but seeing her empty bed that morning had filled them with so much anguish that it was impossible to avoid lecturing her about not following mysterious lights and never playing with transparent strangers, moreover without warning them. "
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
  • GlacierSnowGlacierSnow Posts: 2,301 Member
    First of all, I love that picture! There is so much going on in that shot.

I think using the spoiler tags is a good idea, so I'll do that too.

When I see her enjoying herself here (in my house, my yard, MY swing) after what she did to me, I feel like I'm burning to death all over again. I stand in the cool water to dull the pain, but nothing makes the rage subside.

I've found that in this state of mind I can push the swing. Higher. A little higher. Each time, she laughs. She doesn't know it's me. She thinks it's fun. I've never been able to send her higher than a few inches. Most nights it takes all my concentration to influence the world just that much.

But tonight, the moon is full. The will-o-the-wisps are crowding about my cottage like migrating birds in autumn. She has no idea what this means.

Tonight, I will send her flying.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    Seventeen & Maldusk Forum thread link
    My name on AHQ (and the upcoming sims forum) is "GlacierSnowGhost".
    @HermioneSims the spoilers are a good idea!
    Aww, that was such a wholesome bit. Especially the added extra of her waking up under the swing and her parents being worried over her. And the goofy ghost sim looking like her grandpa 😭 In a kid’s world, everything does seem to be possible. If only we kept that feeling as adults.

@GlacierSnow
    Thank you! It’s the only save file that I actually play normally. Well, as much as a ghost pushing you on the swing in the middle of the night while will-o-wisps float around your head is normal.
    Oh my gods, that is so chilling. I love it. It’s such a tiny blurb of text but it immediately makes me want to read the next part just to find out what will happen.

I love how different those two narratives were! It’s loads of fun to see all the various ways that people can interpret a picture 😁
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited April 2022
    I made the mistake of reading both interpretations of the image before forming my own.
    I will therefore instead contribute another image. What is the story of this picture?
    DDIHkSRh.png
    I love how different brains think.
    My brain will probably come up with an interpretation in the style of @HermioneSims I feel akin to that interpretation.
    All the more surprising and exciting to see an interpretation like your @GlacierSnow

A really fun challenge @_sims_Yimi
    NB: Next time, I promise not to look under the spoilers :lol:
    Post edited by MonaSolstraale on
    @_sims_Yimi
    Oh my gods, that is so chilling. I love it. It’s such a tiny blurb of text but it immediately makes me want to read the next part just to find out what will happen

The first thing I noticed about the picture was that the ghost is angry (red). For some reason that made me think he doesn't like the girl. And I wondered why. It all came out of that.

This is a fun exercise. Thanks for suggesting it!
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    edited April 2022
    I am going in blind without reading anyone else's, so if mine is too similar to anyone else's then I apologise!
    EDIT: Updated with my response to Mona!

@_sims_Yimi's pic:
    My daughter...I have watched you grow into a young woman from beyond the veil. It still pains me to know that I was not able to congratulate you on your exam results, or to be there when you graduated from university...all those milestones that I missed through no fault of anyone's.

But tonight, the veil is thin- and for the first time in over fifteen years, we have seen each other. I have been waiting for this moment for countless years. I don't want you to cry; we are together until the clock strikes twelve. I want you to tell me all of the stories you must have to tell me. Friends, lovers, achievements- whatever it is in your life that has given you joy.

Instead, you sit on the swing, kicking your feet like a little girl, telling me you want to go higher. I see- you want to make up for the lost time. So long as you are happy, I don't mind. You're never too old to have fun after all. Maybe I'll buy you an ice cream after for nostalgia. Is strawberry still your favourite?

@MonaSolstraale's pic:
    You have everything you could ever want- a tropical wedding, the evening sun turning the ocean to gold, about to be forever joined to a woman who has given you everything she could- but there's still something in the back of your mind. You're reverting back to your old ways, aren't you? - back to the spooked deer whose instinct is to take off. You can keep telling yourself that she's not like her, but what if she is? The evening sun makes everyone look like an angel regardless of their intentions. She's patient as ever, and her ring is still shaking in your palm. What good is it there? What good are you to anyone?

No, she's not her. Snap out of it. For goodness's sake, let someone love you the way you deserve to be loved.

' I do. '

I really like the chilling take on Glacier's and the more wholesome of Hermione's, though I realise even going in blind mine might be a bit too similar to Glacier's so I apologise for that.
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
    My narrative for @MonaSolstraale 's shot

"She promised she'd be here," he insisted. "She said she'd come before sunset."

What do you say to that? When you know your friend is talking about a mermaid?

No one else had ever seen that mysterious woman he described. With her green hair draping to her waist as she emerged from the ocean, trailing sea foam and starfish behind her. Was she even real at all? He said she was. And I had always trusted him.

But the sun sank lower. The water burnt orange and golden across the bay. I'd never seen him cry before, ether. I tried to smile, as though that would have helped. As though that wasn't just the dumbest thing I could have done at all. But how do you even help a friend when his heart is breaking, and he's waiting for someone who might not exist?

"The sun isn't gone yet," I said. "Let's wait a little longer."
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member
    What a fun challenge. I like everyone's responses and creativity. I may join later when I have time, but this is basically my approach to SimLit: take a screenshot and then give a backstory for what happened. <3
    @SnowBnuuy
    Aw, that tugged on my heartstrings this morning. I like the angle you’ve chosen of the girl being older but acting like a child for her dad’s sake. You’re never too old to have fun indeed, and you’re never too old to have good memories 😊

@MonaSolstraale Oooh, I like this picture! So much potential for many different things. Hm, let’s see…
    “Smile,” she hissed.
    He tried. He really did. But lifting the corners of his mouth felt almost impossible. Like he was lifting the weight of a massive boulder that pressed down on his chest, slowly crushing the heart underneath.

He couldn’t do it.

“For Watcher’s sake, look happy. The cameras are on.”
    She’d muttered it through clenched teeth, her perfectly composed face turned away from the massive recording device by just a few inches. Her makeup looked immaculate. Her hair was perfectly done. Her expression radiated warmth and kindness- and it contrasted with her words so sharply that it took his breath away.

She always had been better at putting up an act than he was.
    It was the part of her that he hated the most.

He couldn’t do it. But he knew that he had to show something. If not, this entire charade would fall apart like a sand sculpture that was broken down by the ocean’s waves. His agent had been very clear about what consequences a failed public wedding would have. He didn’t have a choice. So he did the only thing he could. He gave into it. The tears flowed freely as he looked up, sighing as he finally looked her in the eyes.

“I’m sorry,” he sniffed. “I know. I’m just…”

So happy.

@haneul Yes! Do join later, if you can! The more people, the more fun this will become 🤩

J6AKQqX.jpg
  • friendsfan367friendsfan367 Posts: 29,362 Member
    haneul wrote: »
    What a fun challenge. I like everyone's responses and creativity. I may join later when I have time, but this is basically my approach to SimLit: take a screenshot and then give a backstory for what happened. <3

i do screenshots. but i didn't write a backstory.when ayden got divorced i jumped over that part cause at the timei had no divorce refrenceso i wasn't sure how to write it. then cathtea and jes yelled at me. lol did i mntion i love them. but now theres a divorce mod.
    Also @MonaSolstraale picture looks quite funny, let's see...
    The wedding seemed perfect, at a first sight: the guests, the picturesque sunset by the sea, and my beloved Susie. But I could feel already that something was off, I had the impression that a few people were trying to hide a laugh when looking at us. Then, as if they wanted to confirm my suspects, everyone jumped up to scream in chorus: "Smile, you're on Candid Camera!"

Susie had always had a weird sense of humour, but I felt so mortified at that moment... How could she find it funny? Was she really the person I wanted to spend the rest of my life with? Without saying anything else I just left, without turning back to listen to her excuses.
    2if86miljyb3.png
    You can follow the Legacy Miller from my blog and the forum thread, *Chapter 8.12 posted on the 25th of March 2024*
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Here we go
    "She's not coming, is she?"

"No, Ranjit. I'm sorry to say she isn't."

"We had...." but then his voice trailed off. He knew the answers, knew why she wasn't coming and there was little point in trying to kid everyone that they were going to have the perfect wedding and life afterwards. It was always going to be a risk they...he...was taking. Just one more day together, that's all he wanted, but as soon as he thought that he chided himself for his selfishness. Yes, this wedding was more about him than her. He looked up into Meera's face again.

"How far did she get before...you, know, she...erm, succumbed?"

"She managed to get into the dress. She looked perfect."

Ranjit nodded. "I bet she did." he said, softly as he looked out at the sea. "I shouldn't have arranged this, knowing she wouldn't make it"

"Well, she thought it was a good idea as well it's just her body couldn't last long enough. We all knew that and she was lucky to have made it as far as she did."

Ranjit was broken at this point and started crying, desperately trying to hold it together. Just then the sunset illuminated the tropical wedding arch perfectly and he stood up: He had had an idea

"The wedding's off" he announced to the guests. "Instead, tonight will be a celebration of Poona's life!"
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    Hello. I've been lurking here for a few weeks. This challenge looks like fun so I thought I'd give it a try.
    @_sims_Yimi
    The town thought she was cursed. She had suffered their cruelty and neglect long enough. She refused to allow them to sacrifice her as they had done her mother and grandmother. She scoured the library sneaking in just before closing so no one would force her out like they would in the daytime. That’s how she found her family’s Book; the one that had been stolen by townsfolks after they’d burnt her mother to death. She followed the instructions to the letter.

People laughed when she struggled with the shovel to dig the pit. Mocked her when she built the swing set inside it. They yelled obscenities when she filled it with water. No one saw her conjure the spirit and wisp – she did that secretly.
    Finally, the moon rose full and bright. She sat on the swing double checking all the ingredients: water beneath her, earth in her pocket, a wisp of fire before her, air breezing around her, a spirit behind her, and, of course, the moon above.

Now, to move between worlds. With the help of the spirit, she swung back and forth, chanting the memorized spell. Higher and higher until the veil parted and she moved between worlds – this pitiful one and another dimension. In the beautiful beyond, she saw her mother and grandmother smiling, waiting for her. A few more pumps, a little higher. She jumped through the portal and into her loved ones arms. The swing oscillated back empty, the door between worlds shut.

The town would note in hushed tones that the night the girl vanished their troubles began. Pipes burst and fires started randomly, the wind never ceased blowing, enormous holes opened in the earth, and terrifying spirits wandered about. They prayed and begged for her return; the entire family, if that’s what it took. But all they got on full moon nights was a swing that swung on its own and the sound of a little girl’s satisfied laughter.

@MonaSolstraale
    “I don’t understand. I thought we were in love. How could she leave me?” Fresh tears slid down his face. “She didn’t even have the decency to break up face-to-face. What kind of a person leaves someone at the altar?”

“I told you she was a selfish, nasty, manipulative girl, didn’t I? I knew she’d break your heart.”

“What am I going to do? I don’t think I can live without her, mom.”

“There, there, dear. It’ll be alright.” His mother wrapped her arms around him tightly. “I’ll never leave you, sweetie. You come home with me and let mama take care of you, ok?”

He nodded, his answer muffled in sobs and her bosom. She smiled over his head. He was her baby and no one else was going to have him… she’d made sure of that.
    7YZVoCi.png
    @Qnshr5 Oh! Hello! I don't think we've met before 😁 Thank you for giving it a try, the more the merrier!
    Aaaaand your one short story immediately made me want to go over toy our blog and give your other stories a read. If you have a crazy number of clicks leading to random pages, that was me clumsily trying to find the follow button. 😆 I loved the story! We've had wholesome, the ghost being up to no good and wholesome mixed with melancholy, but you're the first to put a spin on the girl like that.

It's really amazing to see how many different things writers can come up with while looking at the same picture 🤩

If anyone has an interesting picture that they'd like to throw in next, please go right ahead! Otherwise I'll choose a new one over the weekend, if we want to keep going with the challenge 😊
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    How about this one? I would love to know what's going on here...

003-From-Young-Hopefulls.jpg
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Kellogg_J_KelloggKellogg_J_Kellogg Posts: 1,548 Member
    Got one...
    "Left a little...left a little...that's it! Head towards that vendor!" came the voice of Nancy Landgraab as she watched the TV screen in the plain, grey van marked ACME CLEANING SERVICES. She could see what he could through the tiny concealed cameras in the sunglasses he was wearing.

"What, the toy vendor?" asked Geoffrey, who was wearing a communications headset with a microphone and who could hear everything Nancy was telling him from the van.

"Yes! I see the target! Soon it will be ours...but only if you don't muck things up!"

"I won't, dear."
    "Well you did when you were meant to obtain the Vasso-Davies transcripts last month. We barely avoided getting lasered by the security systems. Now, that brown robot teddy bear. That's what we're looking for!"

"OK, making my way there. It's just some student manning the stall."

"That's your contact. You pay him the money, we get the bear and soon the diamonds will be all ours! OURS! BWA-HA-HA-HAAAAAA"
  • SnowBnuuySnowBnuuy Posts: 1,767 Member
    edited April 2022
    @GlacierSnow I think I recognise the blonde guy which gave me an idea XD

I realise… kinda went overboard with it and added a bit extra to what’s going on, as opposed to just focusing on the goings-on in the image. so I kind of broke the idea of the challenge…
    The city markets are often a wretched place, small people trying to make a measly living from whatever rubbish they can scrape together. When Plopsy falls through, they take to the streets of San Myshuno. The city folk roll their eyes as I pass. Well, perhaps if they worked harder and stopped heating their homes and eating dinner, they too could have a suit that cost more than all of their houses put together.

A lady dressed in intricate silk robes calls to me. ‘A man with power like no other, I see- but what if you could have even more of that power?’

I don’t bother with silly tricks and magic, but I suppose I may as well buy something from her stall. A little face-saving philanthropy will distract the people of the city from the fact I plan to double their rent.

‘A voodoo doll?’

She sharply corrects me, telling me that I have greatly misunderstood the true nature of the object. Who is she to correct me?

‘That is a hex doll. Those who bear it will be able to control the actions of others…’

It’s foolproof. People joke that our family seem to ‘own everything’ these days, but we truly could with this one trinket from across the sea.

‘But, I warn you, It comes with a price and not just a monetary one,’ she says, with a sly smile. ‘Should you misuse its power, then you will pay…the ultimate price.’

I can’t help but chortle. I am the patriarch of the richest family in SimNation. No price is too high for me. I give her the coin and take my leave, the hex doll in my pocket. She gives me a dark grin as I leave, long nails drumming against the table. Who would have believed two hundred Simoleons was ‘the ultimate price?’ The elderly are a comical bunch.
    Post edited by SnowBnuuy on
    they/them or she/her
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    I've also been lurking in this thread as well. I couldn't resist trying this exercise using your image @GlacierSnow. I didn't take much time with this, just a quickie and a bit juvenile, but meh, I had fun with it. :D
    "Our next entry is a fine example of the classic Voo Doo doll. The stitching is exquisite, perfectly proportionate in construction, rare button eyes and a stick pin from the Victorian era. Ladies and Gentleman take note, this is the craftsmanship we love to see submitted in the mischief category for the Humor and Hijinks Festival Shenanigans Arsenal Contest."

Clara listened with barely restrained annoyance as the exuberant judge praised her competitor's entry. Would she ever beat Johnny Zest? She was beginning to believe the rumors that he was indeed actually the Son of Geoffrey Landgraab. How else to explain no matter what ridiculous object the guy submitted, it always won top prize year after year?

Perhaps it was time to hang up her Hijinks hat and join the Comedians. Clara threw her carefully crafted entry in the trash and went home. Such a pity, it had taken many bowls of chili to acquire all those farts needed to make her 'Farts-in-a-Can' authentically obnoxious.
    These are great! Fun to see the different takes on the same image.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
  • Qnshr5Qnshr5 Posts: 459 Member
    edited April 2022
    @_sims_Yimi Thank you!!!

@GlacierSnow I wrote this as a script because its setting is a film set. I hope the different format is ok. I could have made it a paragraph, but this way was more fun.
    FADE IN:
    Vile Hexstone – acclaimed actor, international superstar, and hex doll – is carried out onto the set of a big budget film by her Talent Agent - cell phone headset in ear and sunglasses on - who carries Vile in his hands.

Talent Agent: Vile, darling, you look great. Hair and makeup have completely transformed you into character. Remember, after filming you have an interview with Simmer-tainment Tonight. And do you want to confirm a photo-op and drinks with Judith Ward later?

Motionless, Vile stares silently at the Talent Agent.

Talent Agent: Great. I’ll let Ward’s people know.

Standing nearby, a one-line extra who’s average looking with glasses, Festival Goer #3 looks around confused.

Festival Goer #3: What are you going on about? It hasn't said anything. It doesn't speak.

Talent Agent: Vile Hexstone has been in the business since Simmywood began. She's worth more than you’ll ever see in a 100 lifetimes. How dare you question her craft methods.

Festival Goer #3: [exasperated] It’s just a toy! A voodoo doll! It can’t move, it can’t talk, it can’t act. Its “performance” is all smoke and mirrors. Why doesn’t anyone see that?

Everyone on set – film crew, actors, caterers – gasps before falling into silent trepidation.

Talent Agent: [glaring] Vile refuses to work under hostile conditions. You're fired!

Festival Goer #3 storms off. Loud footsteps behind her cause her to stop.

Mysterious Voice: [off screen; behind FG #3] This is my town, kid, and you’ll never work in it again…

Festival Goer #3 turns around and stares in shock.

Vile Hexstone stands on Talent Agent’s palm with a pin from her head in her hand.

Vile: [with a thready grin] …or anywhere for that matter.

Vile raises the pin and plunges it in through the red fabric heart on her plush body. Festival Goer #3 screams, clutches her chest, and crumbles to the floor.
    FADE OUT

Post edited by Qnshr5 on
    7YZVoCi.png
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited April 2022
    For @MonaSolstraale Another quickie off the cuff, but when I realized who was standing there, I ran with it. These are so much fun to write! :)
    The Wedding Planner nervously walked down the aisle toward Cassie, everyone staring at him with confusion. He struggled to hold his composure, nodding and smiling at the guests whispering amongst themselves. Once he reached the only daughter of the illustrious Goth family, she smiled at him and he lost it.

"He's not coming, right? That's why you're here."

"I..I'm...so sorry Cassie, you don't deserve this. He's run off with Kaylynn."

"Oh it's alright, I'm not surprised. I was actually kind of hoping something like this would happen." Cassie confessed and shrugged her shoulders, still smirking at Keoki.

Keoki looked up sharply, his eyes wide with surprise. "What? Why? I don't understand."

"I've had a crush on him since I was a child, I thought I loved him. But I don't, not really. It was just infatuation, a school girl fantasy over the idea of marrying the most elusive, handsome bachelor in town. He's a bad boy Keoki, there's just something so appealing about that to a lot of women. I guess I just grew up over these last few months. He was never around to help with anything, always had some excuse. He'd look at me with those green eyes sparkling and dimples denting his cheeks and I'd cave and forgive him. Not anymore. There's someone else though who has always been there when I needed him, without fail. I'm in love with him."

"Oh, I had no idea, you seemed so in love with him."

"I'm a very good actress, they don't give out Starlight Accolades to just anyone Keoki."

"That's true, you are the best. So...who are you in love with, if I may be so bold to ask. It's none of my business, but you know me, always curious about everything."

"Yes, I do know you. I didn't think I'd have to tell you. Haven't you guessed yet?" Cassie asked, staring into Keoki's eyes and taking his hand as she knelt in front of him. Holding out the ring intended for Don Lothario, she said, "I love you Keoki, will you marry me?"
    Post edited by Karababy52 on
  • MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,372 Member
    Thank you so much for the many interpretations of my image. It's so much fun to see what stories are hiding in it.
    I love to see what a wealth of ideas you all have <3
    Unfortunately, I feel a little lost when it comes to my own ideas. Sorry :/

NB @Karababy52
    I can see you have recognized Cassandra and my good vampire Keoni. Great to see you in this thread
    @Qnshr5 I really like the film script.

This is great, and I love the twist! Feels like it would make a great opening scene for a comedic horror movie.
    Forum-Banner-01.jpg
    I'm a bit late, but let's see what I can write down about @GlacierSnow's picture...
    John had always really, really desired a voodoo doll, but he had never been able to find one. He had been scammed many times before, so many malicious sellers fooled him with banal stuffed dolls that never worked. So, when he heard about that traditional voodoo festival in the city centre, he did everything he could to enter. Tickets were sold out in no time, so he had only one remaining way for entering: being hired as one of the festival's service personnel, in his case a security guard. When he saw that boy trying to steal a voodoo doll from one of the stalls, he rushed to stop him and retrieve the object he longed for so much time. Was he supposed to give it back immediately? What if it was a real voodoo doll? He knew his colleague were about to stop him, but he had to test that doll. If it was not the real deal he would have just handed it back, but if it was genuine no one could have stopped him anymore...
    2if86miljyb3.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top