Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3 by Mastress Alita Discussion and Update Thread

124...Next

Comments

• mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    My second blogaversary is approaching! If you would like to participate by submitting any questions to this upcoming Q&A session (to either myself or any characters from Cat Chronicles) then please check out this blog post for further information. I can take submissions until next Wednesday, April 12th. Thanks so much!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
    Happy Caturday!

cat_ban_l.jpg

Shadow's kittens find two-leggers of their own. Featuring Robin and Alina McIntyre from @sweetnightingale 's Another World and Ileah Ralston from @sweetnightingale 's Colors of Loving.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    This is something I haven't really advertised on here, since as they aren't really related to Simlit I figured my readers wouldn't really have much interest in them, but I also do tea reviews on my blog every Tuesday in a segment I call Teatime Tuesday. So tonight, I got a new shipment of teas from an Etsy seller, and they were samplers that came in these tiny little tins, that reminded me of pill cases.

And for the life of me, I could not open them.

I tried brute force until my fingers were numb, I tried heating it over an open flame, I tried gripping it with pliers, I tried smashing the side in with a hammer, I tried sliding a knife in the seam (and drew blood), and was thinking, "Great, I have six new teas I'm never going to get to taste."

In the end I *finally* got the first tin open by actually completely denting one side in with a knife into the seam and then applying force against it until it FINALLY popped the seal. I don't have a picture of it yet, but that tin looks like it has been through an apocalypse.

Total time it took to open it: Two and a half hours. No exaggeration, because I had just started a Twitch stream when I began, and the streamer had been streaming that long when I was finally successful. There is a timer on the screen.

After that, I realized if I did that going all around the sides applying force with the knife down the seam and applying small dents inward, until the lid "popped" the seal (eventually), the tins opened with minimal visible damage (but that was still the ONLY way I could get them open).

Tea is serious (and as my cut finger can attest, painful) business.

@CathyTea , @lisabee2 , @ginnymalfoy22 , @RosemaryMariee , @ra3rei
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • ra3reira3rei Posts: 2,418 Member
    Oh too funny. I had a similar issue just last week with what looked like a normal jar of salsa. I had an advantage in that it wasn't tiny like you tea tins, but I seriously considered going outside to find a stranger to open it. I ended up breaking the seal by pulling the lid away from the jar with a hook can opener thing. Time to open 30 minutes.

I look forward to hearing if the tea is good enough to heal the wounds of opening the tins. :)
    Check out Raerei's Fortress for Builds, Short Stories, and maybe some longer stuff.
    @ra3rei : Sadly these are for a special geeky something I have planned for September (plus the library tea I was going to feature for National Library Week, but when I realized the Etsy seller was taking her sweet time preparing the blends and it wasn't going to arrive in time, I had to order something else) so all of these are going to sit around in my cupboard for a while. Still, I am tempted to dock points on the seller comparison sheet I've been working on simply for having the hardest packaging to get into I have ever encountered, period. Had they been larger, like a salsa jar, I don't think they would've been so bad (and I have taken a jar of jam to a college class before to have someone open it for me!) because there would have been something below the lid to grip. The bottom half of the tin under the lid part was only maybe a cm large, and their roundness was a bit wider than a silver dollar. I don't think the manliest, beefiest dude would've been able to open these things.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    This is something I haven't really advertised on here, since as they aren't really related to Simlit I figured my readers wouldn't really have much interest in them, but I also do tea reviews on my blog every Tuesday in a segment I call Teatime Tuesday. So tonight, I got a new shipment of teas from an Etsy seller, and they were samplers that came in these tiny little tins, that reminded me of pill cases.

I tried brute force until my fingers were numb, I tried heating it over an open flame, I tried gripping it with pliers, I tried smashing the side in with a hammer, I tried sliding a knife in the seam (and drew blood), and was thinking, "Great, I have six new teas I'm never going to get to taste."

In the end I *finally* got the first tin open by actually completely denting one side in with a knife into the seam and then applying force against it until it FINALLY popped the seal. I don't have a picture of it yet, but that tin looks like it has been through an apocalypse.

Total time it took to open it: Two and a half hours. No exaggeration, because I had just started a Twitch stream when I began, and the streamer had been streaming that long when I was finally successful. There is a timer on the screen.

After that, I realized if I did that going all around the sides applying force with the knife down the seam and applying small dents inward, until the lid "popped" the seal (eventually), the tins opened with minimal visible damage (but that was still the ONLY way I could get them open).

Oh, my! This sounds like a devilish tea packet! I like cardboard boxes. I think if I could design my own box for tea, it would be thick, soft, recycled cardboard, with a green lid that slides on it, and beautiful, delicate, lacey drawings of leaves and ferns on the sides of the box!

You were really dedicated to spend two hours opening this! And was it worth it?
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
    @CathyTea : I prefer the seal-top pouches myself. They are just so easy to open and shut, take up minimal space compared to tins and jars (which is a concern for me and my growing collection!) and I was tempted after destroying the first tin to just dump all the contents into a ziplock bag! The only reason I didn't is because I want to be able to photograph the results of that evening in the future, heh. ^_~ So I figured I should keep the original packaging. (Of course, I didn't screw the lids on with the strength of the Hulk. Seriously, what did she do? The shop was called Malfoy's Tea Emporium, and I'm tempted to believe Dark Magic was involved...)

There isn't much tea in these samplers, only a cup or two (three might be stretching it) so I am hesitant to try any now, as I have nefarious plans for most of these. (I've got a special theme September/October in the works for Teatime Tuesday, heh, of the geekilicious sort). I am tempted to try to the Haunted Library one (the original tin I demolished) since it'll be another year until National Library Week rolls around again... hmm. Originally that was the one I was going to feature for National Library Week this year, but it took the Etsy seller too long to prepare and ship the tea, so I had to find a different library tea elsewhere that I was going to get in time and could feature instead.

One might wonder why I had to open them right now at all then, but I simply can't get new tea without savoring the smells from it! (I can at least attest they smelled divine!)
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • CathyTeaCathyTea Posts: 23,088 Member
    @CathyTea : I prefer the seal-top pouches myself. They are just so easy to open and shut, take up minimal space compared to tins and jars (which is a concern for me and my growing collection!) and I was tempted after destroying the first tin to just dump all the contents into a ziplock bag! The only reason I didn't is because I want to be able to photograph the results of that evening in the future, heh. ^_~ So I figured I should keep the original packaging. (Of course, I didn't screw the lids on with the strength of the Hulk. Seriously, what did she do? The shop was called Malfoy's Tea Emporium, and I'm tempted to believe Dark Magic was involved...)

There isn't much tea in these samplers, only a cup or two (three might be stretching it) so I am hesitant to try any now, as I have nefarious plans for most of these. (I've got a special theme September/October in the works for Teatime Tuesday, heh, of the geekilicious sort). I am tempted to try to the Haunted Library one (the original tin I demolished) since it'll be another year until National Library Week rolls around again... hmm. Originally that was the one I was going to feature for National Library Week this year, but it took the Etsy seller too long to prepare and ship the tea, so I had to find a different library tea elsewhere that I was going to get in time and could feature instead.

One might wonder why I had to open them right now at all then, but I simply can't get new tea without savoring the smells from it! (I can at least attest they smelled divine!)

We're the same way! Whenever we get a new shipment in, we always open one bag of each (ours comes loose-leaf in a white paper re-closable bag, like a coffee bag) and sniff! I especially love it when the Makaibari smells like chocolate! :)
    Cathy Tea's SimLit Anthology

Do you also play The Elder Scrolls Online? You can find me there as CathyTea, too!
  • RosemaryMarieeRosemaryMariee Posts: 223 Member

Goodness sakes! I can't even peel and pit an avocado without needing stitches, so I don't think I would have had success with your newly bought teas. LOLOLOL I do agree, though, that tea is a serious business! :)

gen8-banner-landscape.png

Join the heirs as they tell their stories through diary entries in Noble Doubt!
    TS3/TS4/Origin ID: RosemaryMarie

• lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member
    OHHH AUGH .. wounded for tea :( What were they thinking .. I would certainly write and ask them for the tin opening tips. I hope that the tea was delicious after all that!!

I do love my tea and yes it is serious business!
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
  • lisabee2lisabee2 Posts: 3,708 Member

wow and how did I just see this now :(
    SebEwnF.jpg
    LisabeeSims
    New readers can visit here first: In-a-NUTSHELL
    #EAgamechanger
    Blogaversary2-00.jpg

My second blogaversary is today! You are welcome to drop by at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Here is my last update of Cat Chronicles, since I forgot to cross-post it here...
    cat_ban_l.jpg

Shadow visits the home of a bonified catlady, and worries about Rose falling down this path considering the amount of strays she's been friendly with lately...

I have also finished my Short Story Challenge entry at the very last minute this month! (Migraines and my secondary HDD failing made it a rough ride to get it done in time).

Yandere Days - A high school student witnesses something he shouldn't, and appears to be the next victim of a murderous classmate... Written for the April 2017 Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenges theme "Expect the Unexpected."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited June 2017
    Goodness, it has been a while since I've updated this thread! But I've been up to a lot. First, my recent Cat Chronicles updates...

cat_ban_l.jpg

Shadow learns why we can't have nice things.

The Hatchers spend Snowflake Eve at the Winter Festival. Shadow isn't too keen on the male hanging around Senna...
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    The reason the updates have been sluggish recently (I miss the Short Story Challenge for May and had to put Cat Chronicles on hiatus that month) was because I was busy moving the Stories and Legacies Index to its new home! Please go check it out! If you have a Sim story, or simply love to read Sim stories, then this virtual library of Simlit should be right up your ally! You can get a listing of over 600 stories, arranged by actively in-progess, completed, or on hiatus, search for stories by author, game version, challenge, genre, or subject, submit your own works with a handy submission form, or if you are feeling artistic, even submit your own banner art to the rotating banner art gallery! All stories and Let's Plays are accepted, no matter the game, style, or format, no matter if you are a brand-new author or have been writing Simlit for a while!
    sali_adbanner1.jpg
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    pridebanner.jpg

It’s that time again! Last year I hosted Sims Pride 2016, a Sims pride homage to our beautiful and diverse Sims and Simmers! After the overwhelmingly positive response to this, it’s time for Sims Pride to return, and I’m hoping to see an even bigger turnout for our “photo parade” this year!

What is Sims Pride?

Sims Pride is a time to highlight LGBTQQIAAPP Sims and Simmers in the community! This homage will be using screencap submissions from the Simmer community of Simselves, Sim story characters, or favorite Sims that would fall in the LGBTQQIAAPP spectrum. I suggest you check out Sims Pride 2016 to get a better idea of the event.

Who can participate?

Sims Pride is all about highlighting Sims of sexual orientation or gender-identity diversity, as well as any and all allies of the LGBTQ+ community. If you have a Sim or Simself that falls within the LGBTQQIAAPP spectrum, I’d love to have them participate!

For further information about the various sexual orientations and gender-identities includes, please check out my Sims Pride 2017 Incoming! post.

How do I participate?

For information about how to participate in Sims Pride 2017, please check out Sims Pride 2017 Incoming!! What is needed for submission, a handy submission form, and a few alternative submission methods are all listed there!

When is Sims Pride 2017?

Sims Pride 2017 will go up on Sunday, June 25th, 2017.

I will be taking image submissions until Friday, June 23rd, 2017 at midnight Mountain Daylight Time.

Thanks to anyone that decides they want to take part in this! If you have any questions at all, feel free to ask in the comments! Please feel free share this and to get the word out there if you think you have readers that would be interested in this! Let’s create a really awesome Pride together again this year!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Pride02-00.jpg

It's time for Sims Pride 2017! Please come celebrate with us by checking out all these amazing and diverse Sims!

Thanks so much to everyone who submitted a photo to Sims Pride this year! Without the contributions of the community, this event wouldn’t be possible, so it means the world! I really hope to see you back next June for another Sims Pride!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Managed to get the Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenge for the month done this month!

Goodbyes - Sometimes, the weight of a single word is just too much. Written for the June 2017 Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenges theme "A Picture's Worth a Thousand Words."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    So two months later, I have written a for fun short story for the Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenge May prompt, which was "I'm Sorry." I was busy that month with the moving of the Stories and Legacies Index to its new home on Wordpress and unable to participate at that time, but the entire point of the "for fun" category is to let the prompts inspire creativity, so I did something totally different with this! Using the lyrics of Roxette's song "I'm Sorry," I've tried to tell a story using just the lyrics and imagery from Sims 3.

This story comes with the following warning: This story contains intimate moments and censored nudity. There is one instance of an exposed bosom. This story is NSFW, but far more tame than many of the intimate love scenes found in R-rated movies. I leave it up to my readers' discretion to decide if they feel comfortable viewing this sort of material.

I'm Sorry - A tragic love triangle is told through the lyrics of the song "I'm Sorry" by Roxette. Written for the May 2017 Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenges theme "I'm Sorry."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Here is my entry for the Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenges thread this month!

The Face of Captivity - Sometimes, love turns into obsession, ensnaring and forming a prison around those we love the most... A companion piece for the May short story "I'm Sorry." Written for the July 2017 Monthly Simlits Short Story Challenges theme "The Face of."
    sali_adbanner3.jpg