Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Isn't It A Bit Too Early?

Comments

• Options
    WulfsimmerWulfsimmer Posts: 4,381 Member
    I find it rude which is why I refuse to have discussions about the subject.

Okay I get that you want this game to have a long life-span just like other games on the series but how on earth is that rude? If you mean that they don't care about you simmers who are in love with The Sims 4 then their feeling is probably mutual just like you love the game they hate the game. If you love something you want it to have a long life-span and vice versa, it isn't rude it is just how things work with people liking something or not :)
    Random-gifs-random-18723411-368-312.gif

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member
    I think a good compromise is open neighborhoods and loading screens between worlds. And by the way, there are rabbitholes in the Sims 4. Just because you can't see them, that doesn't mean they are there. I see no sense in following your Sim to work to do repetitive tasks, and having to choose between which family members to play on a daily basis myself. That's extremely disconnected.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    Jarsie9 wrote: »
    If they do go cross-platform (like in the survey) you can probably count on TS5 being even more watered down than TS4. After all, you have to be able to play your saved game on your console, tablet, and smart phone as well as your PC.

Do very many multi-platform games have a way to transfer saves between consoles and PCs? Most I know of don't.

Again, my understanding from that survey is that EA is aiming to create an environment where players can play one game across different platforms...the same game. I may be off on this, but I don't think so. Think of it from EA's point of view. Let's say you start a sports game on your PC, have to go somewhere, load up the game on your tablet or phone and take it with you...same game. Or, let's say you have a console and you want to play that game on your console. Again, same game.

That's my understanding of the situation, that is, what EA wants. And, of course, the player has to buy every game; I bet they'll even charge for the apps for the phone and the tablet.
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,632 Member
    edited January 2016
    If they do go cross-platform (like in the survey) you can probably count on TS5 being even more watered down than TS4. After all, you have to be able to play your saved game on your console, tablet, and smart phone as well as your PC.

Do very many multi-platform games have a way to transfer saves between consoles and PCs? Most I know of don't.

Again, my understanding from that survey is that EA is aiming to create an environment where players can play one game across different platforms...the same game. I may be off on this, but I don't think so. Think of it from EA's point of view. Let's say you start a sports game on your PC, have to go somewhere, load up the game on your tablet or phone and take it with you...same game. Or, let's say you have a console and you want to play that game on your console. Again, same game.

That's my understanding of the situation, that is, what EA wants. And, of course, the player has to buy every game; I bet they'll even charge for the apps for the phone and the tablet.

Yet EA's sports games - an area they dominate the market in - are console-only and don't have transferable saves.

While it might be ideal to have saves transfer like you suggest, and obviously would be a selling point if it could be easily done across all platforms a game is available on, there are significant barriers because of proprietary file structures on different devices. I have been unable to find a game that has cross-platform saving on all platforms it's available on (I looked more last night after I posted), and of the few that have selected cross-platform saving, none has it for all platforms, none advertises it (except the transfer of level scores for a couple of games), and the methods are clunky. Not one is on a tablet or phone as well as console+PC - I can't find any games that use all those devices, only games that are PC and/or console and have a different version of the game developed as a tablet game.

I honestly believe, based on existing patterns in the game industry in intellectual property and software coding difference, that fears of Sims being watered down so that it will work on every device are not based in likely realities.

As for "having" to buy every game, nobody would ever be making you play on every device you own. That's personal choice, and it's always my choice to spend money as I like. For the record, my household owns two copies of a few games, one for console and one for PC, so that the PC version can be modded up to the hilt and so that different household members can play in their own preferred space and style. We've never transferred games, though on at least one of the games it's technically possible.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    NoWayJose527NoWayJose527 Posts: 1,456 Member

I hate to see it heading in this direction. I don't want to play The Sims on my tablet or my smartphone. For me, it's not "just a game", it's an enjoyable hobby, and I want the game as full as possible -- which means PC. I don't want to click an app to "play" for a few minutes while I'm waiting in line at Burger King, or flip open a tablet to "play" while I'm somewhere away from home. I want to sit here in the comfort of my home, in front of my computer, and indulge my creative nature while I play for hours.

Let there be mobile apps -- but please, let them be different. Let us have a fully-developed PC gaming experience, and then go sell apps for mobile games that are similar, but NOT the same game.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,572 Member
    a little logic here we may all have diffrent opinions about the sims4 me i know i love the game but we need to respect each other opinions no matter the diffrence in toughs about the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    lovejess2lovejess2 Posts: 3,049 Member
    a little logic here we may all have diffrent opinions about the sims4 me i know i love the game but we need to respect each other opinions no matter the diffrence in toughs about the game

I made a whole topic on the fact that it's just an opinion as you can imagine it fell apart very quickly. Some people just don't want to accept that and would rather see their opinions as facts.
  • Options
    NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    edited January 2016
    I think we're more likely to see companion apps than full cross-platform games. Apps that explore the same theme, albeit on a smaller scale, and unlock content in the main game. I could imagine a CAS for tablet, with some exclusive assets for example, with uploads to the gallery that allow you to use your creations in the PC game.

Or a revisit of the standalone versions of The Sims franchise (TSM, Stories, Castaway, etc), on tablet, with the possibility of using Sims you would have created on the PC version first.
  • Options
    ChelleJoChelleJo Posts: 7,087 Member

I'm not sure I understand what their line of thinking would be if they want/did that. Imagine how very limited the game would stay if they had to cater it to cross-save/play on many platforms. Heck, I know the ongoing joke is that Sims 4 could run on a potato, but just with everything that has been put out to date would be hard pressed to run on phones and tablets, if at all.
    p8L4V6v.png
  • Options
    JackPipsamJackPipsam Posts: 115 Member
    I wouldn't expect Sims 5 until after 2020.

That said, maybe they might do another crack of the online thing inbetween who knows.
  • Options
    TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,348 Member
    Not really, The Sims 3 I&F was plagued with TS4 threads as early as 2010.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited January 2016
    Pary wrote: »
    I never did understand that mindset or reasoning that was going around when TS4 was first released, where people acted as if they had to give up playing previous versions. What for? I play TS3 but I still play TS2 quite happily as well.

And calling for the game to be cut dead in its tracks is silly, they're not going to do that, no matter how many people feel that the game will never be up to scratch and is a waste of time.
    I have no faith in them to produce another amazing sims game ever, so my care factor is at zero as to whether there is a TS5, 6, 7 or 8.

The 'attitude' stems from knowing the game a person favors is ending and no new content or their wish list won't be filled. It's not they don't know they don't have to stop playing it's have to face the fact their own dreams about the continuance and what things they wanted personally will never be filled once they announce a new game is on the way. Because soon after many developers are taken off the current project and moved to the new one or over to mobile or somewhere else and a skeleton crew remain that can't do squat about adding any later content. ETA: Good example is this thread. People afraid a few wanting TS5 would make TS4 end. They would be experiencing just what I said. And they would soon start to feel what many at TS3 or TS2 felt, knowing they don't have all their focus on TS4 but on a new game and not planning to add anything they may have been wanting. Thus, that is why the divide. TS4 players are afraid TS5 might be in development and that means a smaller team for this one, no way around that.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    I think a good compromise is open neighborhoods and loading screens between worlds. And by the way, there are rabbitholes in the Sims 4. Just because you can't see them, that doesn't mean they are there. I see no sense in following your Sim to work to do repetitive tasks, and having to choose between which family members to play on a daily basis myself. That's extremely disconnected.

I agree about open neighborhoods. I think that would be an excellent compromise. I like the option to follow to work but would prefer if it truly were fully optional so if I don't want to, my Sim can still get promotions without me being directly involved.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    Neia wrote: »
    I think we're more likely to see companion apps than full cross-platform games. Apps that explore the same theme, albeit on a smaller scale, and unlock content in the main game. I could imagine a CAS for tablet, with some exclusive assets for example, with uploads to the gallery that allow you to use your creations in the PC game.

Or a revisit of the standalone versions of The Sims franchise (TSM, Stories, Castaway, etc), on tablet, with the possibility of using Sims you would have created on the PC version first.

I've seen this becoming more common these days. Several games I play have had companion apps that affect certain assets in the PC game (I don't have a console). This could make sense, too. Though I'm not sure how many current Simmers would use an app like that, they might pull in people who mostly play tablet apps who decide they want to buy the game to see what it's about.
  • Options
    ebuchala wrote: »

I've seen this becoming more common these days. Several games I play have had companion apps that affect certain assets in the PC game (I don't have a console). This could make sense, too. Though I'm not sure how many current Simmers would use an app like that, they might pull in people who mostly play tablet apps who decide they want to buy the game to see what it's about.

Those apps were planned for this game. Don't you remember the survey (before the game was finished) that asked if we would like to be able to check our 'stats' on our game and check up on our Sim's progress and a whole lot of other online (whether browser or phone) features for TS4. There was a huge backlash about that first survey.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Cinebar wrote: »

Those apps were planned for this game. Don't you remember the survey (before the game was finished) that asked if we would like to be able to check our 'stats' on our game and check up on our Sim's progress and a whole lot of other online (whether browser or phone) features for TS4. There was a huge backlash about that first survey.

Yeah, which tells me, as suspected, that people who are currently fans, in general are not going to be into something like that. Unless there was something else in the survey they really didn't like.

Honestly, some of the games I've played, I like the idea of having a phone or tablet app where I can check on things, do minor activities or mini-games to provide additional assets in my main game, etc. So far, I haven't really seen any that were handled how I'd like to see them handled--meaning, they made the apps and offered them for free but they involved me doing or playing things that I wasn't really interested in. If they set it up properly (i.e., how I want it :p ) I'd probably use it. But as against mobile gaming as so many Sims fans seem to be on these forums, I wouldn't be surprised to be in the minority.
  • Options

Yeah, which tells me, as suspected, that people who are currently fans, in general are not going to be into something like that. Unless there was something else in the survey they really didn't like.

Honestly, some of the games I've played, I like the idea of having a phone or tablet app where I can check on things, do minor activities or mini-games to provide additional assets in my main game, etc. So far, I haven't really seen any that were handled how I'd like to see them handled--meaning, they made the apps and offered them for free but they involved me doing or playing things that I wasn't really interested in. If they set it up properly (i.e., how I want it :p ) I'd probably use it. But as against mobile gaming as so many Sims fans seem to be on these forums, I wouldn't be surprised to be in the minority.

I would probably like some app where you would have all the infos of your Sims, with family trees, relationships, skills, etc.
  • Options

I would probably like some app where you would have all the infos of your Sims, with family trees, relationships, skills, etc.

For what? I think this game is too rpg-y already. I just want a true sandbox Sims' game again. I don't need to get my stats over a smartphone when there is none to get because it's not built on a rpg platform/questy, goal oriented type genre. Those things only belong in those questy games that require you to know and how to beat the other guy. I feel this game has strayed way beyond a true child of the series as it is.
  • Options

For what? I think this game is too rpg-y already. I just want a true sandbox Sims' game again. I don't need to get my stats over a smartphone when there is none to get because it's not built on a rpg platform/questy, goal oriented type genre. Those things only belong in those questy games that require you to know and how to beat the other guy. I feel this game has strayed way beyond a true child of the series as it is.

To plan my stories, to look at all my family trees while I'm in my sofa, to show my Sims to other people for example
  • Options

To plan my stories, to look at all my family trees while I'm in my sofa, to show my Sims to other people for example

O.K.
  • Options
    Yet EA's sports games - an area they dominate the market in - are console-only and don't have transferable saves.

While it might be ideal to have saves transfer like you suggest, and obviously would be a selling point if it could be easily done across all platforms a game is available on, there are significant barriers because of proprietary file structures on different devices. I have been unable to find a game that has cross-platform saving on all platforms it's available on (I looked more last night after I posted), and of the few that have selected cross-platform saving, none has it for all platforms, none advertises it (except the transfer of level scores for a couple of games), and the methods are clunky. Not one is on a tablet or phone as well as console+PC - I can't find any games that use all those devices, only games that are PC and/or console and have a different version of the game developed as a tablet game.

I honestly believe, based on existing patterns in the game industry in intellectual property and software coding difference, that fears of Sims being watered down so that it will work on every device are not based in likely realities.

As for "having" to buy every game, nobody would ever be making you play on every device you own. That's personal choice, and it's always my choice to spend money as I like. For the record, my household owns two copies of a few games, one for console and one for PC, so that the PC version can be modded up to the hilt and so that different household members can play in their own preferred space and style. We've never transferred games, though on at least one of the games it's technically possible.

You can choose to be as dismissive as you want about this idea. All I know is that EA certainly has an interest in cross platform game play. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten two separate surveys on it in my e-mail. If I get another one, I'll not only take it, I'll take notes on the questions they ask.

B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member

You can choose to be as dismissive as you want about this idea. All I know is that EA certainly has an interest in cross platform game play. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gotten two separate surveys on it in my e-mail. If I get another one, I'll not only take it, I'll take notes on the questions they ask.

Jarsie I think you may be on to something as I had gotten a similar survey some time ago, as well as the one that asks would you recommend this game to a friend, etc. I didn't think much about it at the time honestly, but if this is the direction they're interested in heading, what players will have to keep in mind is the game will only be as powerful as the weakest device the game is meant to be platformed on, which isn't very encouraging if you think about it. Anyway just my two pfennings.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited January 2016

Well they could cross platform using Cloud without really downgrading the programs. There are ways to allow some things in high performance machines that would not even show in low end equipment without totally having to make the games downgraded. Never mind the fact the companies producing many types of technology are working hard to use high end tech in spec sized parts.

The game makers need to just stop downgrading their games for these lower end platforms so us willing to have the latest and greatest pc do not get a bad experience. If I wanted to play a game from 1999 I could and would - but the fact remains my only entertainment is my pc so I always keep my pc as high end as possible and do not ever use a pc over 2 years old. At 2 years - I want a replacement as that is eons of time in technology - so to me a three year old system is OLD. Perhaps it helps that my family is filled with computer techs, programmers (in fact we have 3 new future programmers and tech just started their first year college back in August and they were already little wizards in tech with out the formal education yet in computer - lol), my husband is a computer tech - so it is probably cheaper for me to upgrade than many people - but I become a bear to live with if my pc is not the best it can be - and it is a fact around here - if mama isn't happy - no one will be happy. LOL. I know shameful - but so true - I have to admit.

But truthfully the Guru's very well could make a top of the line game where the better your equipment the more the game included but in lesser equipment players could still have a decent game. The proof is out there....

ETA - Some of the prices people are paying for some of those mobile devices they could have invested in components to upgrade to a decent pc - truthfully. Maybe not to the extent I have but something a lot better than something put out 3 or more years ago.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    tamisarah tamisarah Posts: 36 Member
    I like toddlers. I wish they had played together in TS2.
    But the sims 4 babies cry way too much. And its an horrible sounding cry. Ive even put them out of ear shot...lol. Is that bad?
    I'm good with TS4 though. My adult daughter prefers TS3 so she plays that.
  • Options
    allieb312allieb312 Posts: 305 Member
    People are only mentioning sims 5 because some aren't happy for what sims 4 turned out to be