What is 64-bit?
All modern versions of Windows are available in two flavors: 32-bit and 64-bit. Most users on Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 are using the 64-bit version.
How does this impact The Sims™ 4?
- 32-bit Windows can only run 32-bit applications.
- 64-bit Windows can run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications.
- 32-bit applications are restricted to 4 GB of memory usage, regardless of how much physical memory your computer has. If a 32-bit application uses more than 4 GB it will crash.
- 64-bit applications do not have this limitation, so can make better use of your hardware.
Prior to version 1.13, The Sims 4 was only a 32-bit application.
As of version 1.13 (released December 2015), The Sims 4 can be run either as a 32-bit application or as a 64-bit application.For most players, Origin will automatically choose the correct version to run and this is not something you need to worry about.
What is better about the 64-bit version of The Sims 4?
Short answer: The Sims 4 will be more stable when running the 64-bit version.
The Sims 4 is designed to use less than 4GB of memory, so in most cases there is no difference between the 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
However there are scenarios where the game may take more than 4GB memory.
For instance, if you are playing on large heavily populated lots.
With the 64-bit version of The Sims 4, the game will no longer crash when these scenarios are encountered.Can I use the 64-bit version of The Sims 4?
If you are on a 64-bit version of Windows, then you can run the 64-bit version of The Sims 4 and by default Origin will automatically launch it for you.
However, we do not recommend running the 64-bit version of The Sims 4 if you have less than 4 GB of memory, or if you are running Windows Vista.
64-bit is not supported on Window XP.I received the following dialog when starting the game, what does it mean?
It means you have less than 4 GB of memory or you are on Windows Vista. In these configurations we recommend manually switching back to the 32-bit version of The Sims 4.How do I run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4?
If you are on a 64-bit version of Windows and would like to run the 32-bit version of The Sims 4, do the following:
What about Mac?
- Right click on The Sims 4 tile in Origin.
- Select “Game Properties”
- Change the “When launching this Game” setting to “The Sims 4 32-bit”
The Mac version of The Sims 4 is 64-bit only.
Global Community Manager for Maxis / The Sims