Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Make-over uni just once. Copy NHD file before play.

Are you tired of redoing Uni everytime you are playing a new game?
Maybe you already know you can make changes to the lots and save them to the bin, but did you know...

If you enter edit town mode in any world and then click on the icon for uni (or any of the vacation worlds), you can edit the all the lots you want and return to your game and save it. (I copy them to the bin as I finish each lot so I don't lose anything in case of a computer mishap.)

After you have quit your game, you can open the saves folder in your documents>EA>Sims 3 folder and find your last save. Open that folder and copy the NHD file to paste into any other save you want.

You'll want to edit before playing uni or the vacation world, so that the inactive Sims remain uncorrupt.

It's that easy. No more spending all day setting up the world just the way you like it and then having to save all the lots to the bin only to have to place them all over again in a new save. Some university lots don't work after bulldozing the lot and replacing, BUT they do work if you just delete and replace things on the lot itself. So... copying and pasting one NHD file from one save to another is a very easy fix.

Comments

• Options
    PinkusfamilyPinkusfamily Posts: 587 Member
    What you are saying here is that you can work the University in ANY WORLD if you do what you have outlined here?

What if one just put each University building in a saved file - then went to the World they wanted to put the University in and Placed those buildings ? Would it work this way as well ?
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    It would, except some buildings don't work when you delete and place another such as the university hall where they have the meet and greet. So, editing the world once and then copying that .NHD file from a NEW save will mean that you don't have redo all the buildings each time.
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    What you are saying here is that you can work the University in ANY WORLD if you do what you have outlined here?

What if one just put each University building in a saved file - then went to the World they wanted to put the University in and Placed those buildings ? Would it work this way as well ?

So, if I understand correctly, you are asking if you can edit the buildings in one save, then copy them to the bin, and use those from the bin in other saves?

I tried that with the science building and student union and had huge problems with classes and lectures. Sims would error out (often an inactive) and then no one could go to class. Sims would miss class as a result. That was my experience.

It's also not that easy to do that with the dorms. Dorms, the fraternity, and the sorority are technically community lots, but have sims saved on them. You cannot place households on community lots in Edit Town and you cannot change a residential lot to a community lot if there's a household on the lot. If you wanted to place new versions of those lots, you'd have to move the sims somewhere else. I never tried that, it got too involved for me.

I think it would be ok to just replace the social group hangouts, the gym, pool, and the java hut lots though. If that's all you wanted to do. I never edited the residential housing or any of the parks or beaches. I think those would be fine to replace from the bin.

Personally, I think editing a pristine version of university and copying the university .nhd file to new game saves is a lot simpler and easier than replacing a bunch of lots in each game you send sims to university.

If you do decide to replace academic rabbit holes and the student union with edited copies from the bin, just be aware of potential issues and do so in a test game first.
  • Options
    I myself never thought of Moving the University . I have herd about it from a friend on my Sims 3 site page, then I read about it here.

I am always up for new Adventures.Trying something new, Building something I have Never done before..

I have made a Haunted Dorm.. That was easy and I placed it in the University World...Well I made it in The University World, in Edit Town...It had already a Dorm slot I could make it in ,so It was easy...

I don't mind my Sim or Sims going away to University- Just of maybe the thought of them going to University while they could stay at home was an interesting thought.

I have bulldozed the Public school in some of my worlds to replace it with my made Community center, where Visitors were allowed... I liked where the students attended a lecture at the University and it was not a rabbit hole...Its Fun to see them attend classes...

I may try this though and let you know how it went.

I have taken ( in the past- to make haunted houses ) - lots from other worlds and placed them in the world I was playing...
  • Options
    TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I don't mind my Sim or Sims going away to University- Just of maybe the thought of them going to University while they could stay at home was an interesting thought.

That is possible to do with the NRaas Careers mod. FAQ section here. I've never done it myself, I prefer to send my sims off for the term.
    I have taken ( in the past- to make haunted houses ) - lots from other worlds and placed them in the world I was playing...

I do that quite a bit for community lots I've customized (The Grind, The Red Rendezvous, the elixir consignment shop) and for houses. My attempt to do move some lots from University in one save to University in another save game caused problems for me (i.e. the student union and rabbit holes) as I mentioned above.
  • Options
    @TreyNutz - I have Taken the Nectary Lot from France- and The Dojo from China and placed them in different Worlds. They worked good, lots of Sims visited them...

I have never taken a Rabbit hole and put it in another world... But- I have placed the Arbuream ( I know - Horrible spelling, sorry ) ..That came when in edit town in making a community lot ...
  • Options
    JennyferLxJennyferLx Posts: 87 Member
    Sorry for resurrecting an old thread...

@ciane do I only need to copy over the .nhd file?
    As I also have Oasis Landing and University package files ending [file name]ExportDB.package ?

Thanks for your help :)
    <3
  • Options
    cianeciane Posts: 16,996 Member
    You need to copy over the .nhd file for each of the extra worlds you've edited. So if you redid any of the travel worlds and don't want to redo them, you simply copy the .nhd files for each location into your new save folder.
  • Options
    igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2018
    @JennyferLx - The small ExportDB files accompanying the nhds don't seem to matter. We all seem to get the same results (the nhd works in a different save folder or not) with or without including those. I think, but am not sure, that the ExportDBs might be a CAW related resource.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net