Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Stories and Legacies Index Gateway

Comments

• Dspenguin2000Dspenguin2000 Posts: 39 New Member
    I am SO sorry about what happened if there is anything I can do to help just let me know ok
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    If anyone else is disappointed in the segregation and would like to see a "shared" or a "general" Creative Corner again, I'm voicing my opinion on this thread and encourage others to add their voice as well. Maybe it won't mean anything (probably) but at least they'll know some of us prefer a space where we do get along together, and can share content that can't be so easily defined.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
    My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges
  • Piazzagirl1015Piazzagirl1015 Posts: 2,500 Member
    edited May 2017
    If anyone else is disappointed in the segregation and would like to see a "shared" or a "general" Creative Corner again, I'm voicing my opinion on this thread and encourage others to add their voice as well. Maybe it won't mean anything (probably) but at least they'll know some of us prefer a space where we do get along together, and can share content that can't be so easily defined.

Earlier today when I posted a comment in the EA forums about the Sims 3 creative corner threads gone after the maintenance, I was laughed at by a person who couldn't care less what happened to anything Sims 3 as long as Sims 4 wasn't touched. I happen to be one of the players who play both games and I wouldn't want to see anyone's work lost no matter what game they played. Maybe this game segregation is feeding into this kind of attitude. It doesn't matter which version anyone of us plays we are all fans of the Sims.

• ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    edited May 2017

Earlier today when I posted a comment in the EA forums about the Sims 3 creative corner threads gone after the maintenance, I was laughed at by a person who couldn't care less what happened to anything Sims 3 as long as Sims 4 wasn't touched. I happen to be one of the players who play both games and I wouldn't want to see anyone's work lost no matter what game they played. Maybe this game segregation is feeding into this kind of attitude. It doesn't matter which version anyone of us plays we are all fans of the Sims.
    I'm sorry that happened to you.
    It doesn't matter which version anyone of us plays we are all fans of the Sims.

This couldn't be more true. I am on #TeamAddAGeneralCreativeCorner right now. We should at least have a general section. We all have one common interest here. We all <3 the sims. It doesn't matter what version.
    They are all different in their own ways. Like a group of siblings they all have their strengths and weaknesses and that is my favourite thing about them. Each has common roots but branches out into different directions. Some games have more building ability, story play, gamepacks and others have other things going for them.
    Bringing this back to the stories. They are all great for making stories.
    I feel that, as a librarian, organizing data is something that I have a bit of knowledge about, and (no offense Gurus, though I doubt any would ever see this) they are doing it wrong.

Categories make it easier to find things, and this is a good thing. The reason why there was upset by so many Sims 3 Simmers, that I could gather, is they were having trouble finding specific content, because there was not a specific area of the forums to look for that content. That is perfectly fair. Sims 3 could only use the "general" area because there was no other option.

The problem here is that they simply got rid of the general area -- or rather, turned it into the Sims 3 area -- without considering the use of the general area. That the creativity community was using it as a shared space. Had they simply made a Sims 3 Creative Corner and kept the general area, while giving people the option to have threads moved into the new area if they wished, everyone would be happy. Now we have a situation where Sims 4 data in the "new" Sims 3 area needs re-cataloged, and "general" Sims data has NO place at all to even go. Because they never even bothered to make a new general area for it.

My idea for a new Creative Corner always had been to have a main, "general" Creative Corner board, where broader threads and topics could go. the "general" Stories and Legacies forum, for example, could have threads like this one, the Writer's Lounge, Reading Circles, the Monthly Simlit Short Story Challenges, discussion threads like, "How do you get out of writer's block?" or "What are your tips for making an interesting legacy?" All of these have NOTHING to do with the version of game you play. Likewise, the general Builds section could have Build competitions open to all game versions or discussion topics like, "Where do you get your build inspiration?" The general modeling section could be for modeling competitions that are open to all game versions, etc. But within each "general" board, at the top, would be SUB-FORUMS for each version of the game: Sims 2, Sims 3, and Sims 4. Within each game-specific forum is where specific threads based on games could go... a story thread for a Sims 4 story in the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies forum, a thread for a Sims 3 build in the Sims 3 Build forum, etc. This would keep the creative community all together while making it easy to find specific content, too; no having to jump all around the board under different games, they'd be under one Creative Corner section. And there would still be a general section for mixed-content and discussions, too.

But it's a shame my librarian-thinking and way of organizing data isn't how the Gurus do things. >_>
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Current Update:

Okay guys, for the moment, this is what I've decided to do.

Right now, everything from the "general" Stories and Legacies was moved to the Sims 3 Stories and Legacies. This is not my choice. Please know that the Stories and Legacies Index being in this section does not mean I am, in any way, endorsing a certain game. I am, hoping, that this can possibly be changed. Know that, no matter what game you play, your stories and Let's Plays are always welcome at the Stories and Legacies Index. And I stand behind that 100%.

Right now a lovely Simmer, @MizoreYukii , is doing the great work of working on re-cataloging the new Sims 3 Creative Corner. As you know, it's a mess since the forums simply turned the old "general" Creative Corner into the Sims 3 Creative Corner. If you had a story thread in the former general Stories and Legacies section and you need it moved into the Sims 4 Stories and Legacies section, feel free to send her a PM with the link to your story, as she is compiling a list.

Also, she is compiling a list of mixed Sim-content threads. I have submitted the Stories and Legacies Index and the Stories and Legacies Archive to her in a PM since they are mixed Sim-content threads, which belong in a "general" Creative Corner... which we no longer have. I'm hoping if she is able to compile a large list of such links, SimGuruDrake will feel inclined to make a new section for these. So... those of you that support a unified area or that have a thread for mixed-Sim content, no matter where that thread is located (in Sims 3 Creative Corner, Sims 4 Creative Corner, etc), I urge you to submit the link to that thread to @MizoreYukii ! Let's campaign this! Let's show SimGuruDrake with numbers how much content we have out there that doesn't easily fit under one game, but would fit better under a shared area! If you think your thread would fit in such a place, I say send it in!

If it appears this isn't going to work, then moving the index to a Wordpress site off the forums will be my Plan B. Until then, I will continue to update it in it's current location in the Sims 3 Stories and Legacies section. Again, please know that ANYONE may submit their stories there, no matter WHAT game you play!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • AdamsEve1231AdamsEve1231 Posts: 7,035 Member
    Thank you, @mastressalita for all your hard work. Sending hugs forever. I am glad you're sticking around. I'd seriously miss this thread. I understand your frustrations and I can see how you don't want to appear to be endorsing one game over another. I don't think regulars would think that, but I can see how newbies might be confused. I think it's awesome and commendable that you include everyone irregardless game platform. I did realize there were many different types of Sims story platforms here from the last time you updated the total stats, and I continue to be in awe of the work you do. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. I'll try my best and do what I can. I think my one thread will fit into what you're describing even if I've been hosting under Ts4. Again thanks for everything. I hope you have a good evening/ day... depending on when you're reading this.
    With these forums closing down, stay connected.

Find me elsewhere:
    My EA App ID: livinasimminlife
    Livin' A Simmin' Life Stories
    My Worldbuilding Blog
    Simblr
    My Sims Pinterest
    @AdamsEve1231 : I appreciate your support, but sadly, I'm not too hopeful about getting a shared space for "mixed Sims creative content." SimGuruDrake does... not seem very amenable to any forum changes in a recent feedback thread so most likely I'm going to have to look into off-site hosting of the index. The annoying part is although I do have an external back-up of the index (yay, back-ups!), it is written in BBCode, and I'll have to convert all of that into HTML if I move it to an external website... and that is going to take me time. So it is probably going to be a rather large undertaking.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    The annoying part is although I do have an external back-up of the index (yay, back-ups!), it is written in BBCode, and I'll have to convert all of that into HTML if I move it to an external website... and that is going to take me time. So it is probably going to be a rather large undertaking.
    It shouldn't take all that long with judicious use of find and replace. For example:
    For code [url=websiteaddress.com]Story Title[/url]

Find:
    [url=
    Replace with:
    <A HREF="

Then find:
    .com]
    Replace with:
    .com">

Then find:
    [/url]
    And replace with:
    "</A>

And so forth.

You'd just need to work out the relevant changes and run several passes to make sure you've captured all the relevant .com, .co.uk, and other URL suffixes etc.
    tfb.jpg
    I normally already do that when I do conversions, but it still takes me time. Especially when I have so much code to parse through.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • ValoisFulcanelliValoisFulcanelli Posts: 672 Member
    Understood, but it could still mostly be automated and you'd just need to pick through it a few times to look for the odd things that were missed. :)
    tfb.jpg
  • ginnymalfoy22ginnymalfoy22 Posts: 404 Member
    @mastressalita when I saw that they had put the creative corner under 'The Sims 3' my first thought was for you. What you do is so appreciated, and I do make use of the index to find new sim stories.

I do think a general creative corner space is a good idea, I still play both TS3 and TS4 and I know others do. It's unfortunate that this has happened, and that you'll likely have to move. Sending you virtual hugs. <3
    @ginnymalfoy22 : It really hurts. I've lost my home. -_-;; There is nowhere on the forums for a thread like mine to go anymore, and from what I've seen toeing around the forum, it looks like the Gurus are uninterested in any sort of space for people like me that have "integrated" thread -- it's "segregation" or get out. So I guess I'm going to have to get out.

I couldn't even guess how many thousands of hours I've put into this thread over the last two years... it's really heartbreaking.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • PalmArrowPalmArrow Posts: 4,329 Member
    @mastressalita , I'm sorry you feel this way. I have your thread bookmarked and I'm very grateful to you for all the work you put into creating it. In fact, I consider you a honorary moderator for what you're doing. I hope you do get a home for your thread on the forum. I will still read it wherever it is.

However, I hope you do understand that this change is what many Sims 3 players including myself have been campaigning for for months (I think it could be half a year), and that after months of silence we were delighted to hear that our voices have been heard after all. We wanted a room of our own to write in. While your solution, with a general Creative Corner with subdivisions for each version, would also have worked well for me, this is even better - now we not only have a room of our own, we have it in our own house, where all our friends are! You see it as segregation, which is a very negatively loaded word, but many of us see it as a safe space, and now we feel more motivated for creativity.

Once again, I hope you do get the general creativity thread you're asking for! The only reason I'm writing this is that I'd like you to understand where "my side" is coming from.
    I never said I was against Sims 3 getting a Creative Corner. But I do see this as forum segregation -- each game is expected to be in its own little section, and those of us that don't follow that, or are friends with any and all Simmers and feel more comfortable in a more "unified" or "integrated" area are left with nothing. While you get a "home," my home was simply deleted. And this isn't just about me. There are a lot more Simmers besides me that feel a loss over having a "unified" or "integrated" area taken away from them, too. I fail to see why we couldn't have had both... but I know the Gurus aren't going to care, or listen. They've made their choice, and despite all the work and effort I've put into this thread for two years, I'm the one that is going to have to get out, because I believe strongly in the mission statement of this thread: That it is for all Simmers, and I don't feel that having a specific game-name tacked onto the forum title gives the proper impression of that mission statement.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Folks, there is a thread in Forum Feedback for a General Creative Corner here. As you know, our old general creative corner was deleted after the update. If you support getting a non-game-affiliated creative corner back (even a small space with no sub-sections) I urge you to voice your support on this thread. Show the Gurus the creative community wants a de-segregated space for creative content!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Current Update:

After sleeping on things, looking over recent feedback threads, re-evaluating the situation and most importantly, the forum atmosphere and the way I've been treated for having an open and accepting viewpoint of all Sims games and having a strong desire for a space on these forums where sharing a general love of all-things-Sims -- and not just one game -- is allowed, I have decided that this forum is not the right place for the Stories and Legacies Index, and a Simmer such as myself. I will be relocating my virtual library elsewhere. Further details will be revealed once I get the kinks worked out.

Thank you so much to everyone that has submitted their lovely works into the Stories and Legacies Index and has supported this project since I started in August of 2015. It has meant the world!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • mirta000mirta000 Posts: 2,974 Member
    Current Update:

After sleeping on things, looking over recent feedback threads, re-evaluating the situation and most importantly, the forum atmosphere and the way I've been treated for having an open and accepting viewpoint of all Sims games and having a strong desire for a space on these forums where sharing a general love of all-things-Sims -- and not just one game -- is allowed, I have decided that this forum is not the right place for the Stories and Legacies Index, and a Simmer such as myself. I will be relocating my virtual library elsewhere. Further details will be revealed once I get the kinks worked out.

Thank you so much to everyone that has submitted their lovely works into the Stories and Legacies Index and has supported this project since I started in August of 2015. It has meant the world!

would it be possible for you to export this info and restart on a forum/ perhaps talk with The Sims reddit people and have it stickied there? I don't want all of this to be lost. I would love to see it live on in some different form, somewhere else :)
    @mirta000 : I am going to work on moving it to Wordpress, most likely, but there are some issues I still need to figure out (how I'm going to handle new submissions, how I want to organize the data... NO MORE TEXT CHARACTER LIMITS, WOOHOO!, etc.)

That said, if anyone knows of any e-mail form type submission systems (does Google Docs have that?) please contact me. As I will need something like that to handle the new submission forms/amendment forms on the new site.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • ForgottenPixelsForgottenPixels Posts: 11,376 Member
    That said, if anyone knows of any e-mail form type submission systems (does Google Docs have that?) please contact me. As I will need something like that to handle the new submission forms/amendment forms on the new site.

@mastressalita I've been researching form creators for you and I think from my research, that google docs will send you the data from the forms if you get the add on for it. Here's the page I found on it.
  • ginnymalfoy22ginnymalfoy22 Posts: 404 Member
    Good luck moving everything, and I completely understand why you have chosen to move. What you do is very appreciated by many simmers, and I'm sure there will be many people who continue to use this resource even after it's been moved.
  • illusieillusie Posts: 13,819 Member
    @mastressalita, I'm glad you are not stopping with your index of stories and legacies. I think it is very handy to look up stories. Thank you for making this index [hugs}
    Good luck moving everything to wordpress!
  • MissSassyMissSassy Posts: 9,731 Member
    @mastressalita It's so sad to see that they don't accept your idea. I really appreciate your hard work for this thread and that no kind of game has ever been excluded. Hopefully they (whoever they may be) realize what they lose as soon as you move this library to another site.
    Attention creative-users of the SaLI!

Would you like to make a cover banner for the new Stories and Legacies Index site? Well now is your chance! I've decided that since this is place has always been about storing the amazing creative works of the community, why not have a rotating gallery of Sim photography on the front of the site as well?
    • The image needs to be: 982 × 250 pixels (you can submit a larger banner, but I will crop/resize as needed)
    • In the spirit of the Stories and Legacies Index, any and all Sims games may be used!
    • The theme of the image should be reading, writing, or libraries. Feel free to be as creative as you wish! A beautiful interior shot of a library build, a Sim tucked away in a cozy nook reading a book, a parent reading to a toddler, a child exploring the wonders of reading for the first time and their imagination unfolding, your Simself going on a gaming spree to get that chapter done on time... if you feel your image "captures" the essense of the Stories and Legacies Index, then submit it!
    • This is not first-come, first-serve. I will take as many submissions as I receive. I want this to be an ongoing thing, like a rotating exhibit at an art gallery. I'm thinking at the moment the cover banner will change out once a month (though it depends on how popular this idea turns out to be).
    • Got an image? Feel free to PM it to me for now. Eventually the new site will have some sort of submission system in place, as well!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
  • M13VulpeculaM13Vulpecula Posts: 19,720 Member
    Attention creative-users of the SaLI!

Would you like to make a cover banner for the new Stories and Legacies Index site? Well now is your chance! I've decided that since this is place has always been about storing the amazing creative works of the community, why not have a rotating gallery of Sim photography on the front of the site as well?
    • The image needs to be: 982 × 250 pixels (you can submit a larger banner, but I will crop/resize as needed)
    • In the spirit of the Stories and Legacies Index, any and all Sims games may be used!
    • The theme of the image should be reading, writing, or libraries. Feel free to be as creative as you wish! A beautiful interior shot of a library build, a Sim tucked away in a cozy nook reading a book, a parent reading to a toddler, a child exploring the wonders of reading for the first time and their imagination unfolding, your Simself going on a gaming spree to get that chapter done on time... if you feel your image "captures" the essense of the Stories and Legacies Index, then submit it!
    • This is not first-come, first-serve. I will take as many submissions as I receive. I want this to be an ongoing thing, like a rotating exhibit at an art gallery. I'm thinking at the moment the cover banner will change out once a month (though it depends on how popular this idea turns out to be).
    • Got an image? Feel free to PM it to me for now. Eventually the new site will have some sort of submission system in place, as well!

I love this idea. I've been a bit inclined to try and finish school stuff first, but you putting up events like these are sure giving me a hard time. ;) Luckily there's no time limit. :)
    Banner.png