Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to make my own CAS CC with google sketchup

is there any plugin for Google sketchup related to Sims 4 CAS? I want to start making my own CAS CC inspired by one of my pictures I am looking at.

Comments

• Options
    rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,596 Member
    Hello.
    It is not connected with your question about Google sketch up, but a program that many simmers use when creating cc is Sims 4 studio. This is a link to the site where you can download it from. There are many helpful tutorials on the site than can help you to use the program.
    http://sims4studio.com
    http://sims4studio.com/board/28/sims-custom-content-tutorial-index
  • Options
    StealthskillStealthskill Posts: 62 Member
    ty for the info
  • Options
    Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    is there any plugin for Google sketchup related to Sims 4 CAS? I want to start making my own CAS CC inspired by one of my pictures I am looking at.

You cannot use Google Sketchup for sims meshing, at least not by itself, and certainly not for things as organic and specific as CAS items. Content for Create-A-Sim all relies on bone assignments to work, which Sketch-Up doesn't do. CAS content also requires a very specific UV map, as all items from a particular category need to be able to fit on the UV map template in such a way that it won't overlap any other CAS parts.

Bone assignments can be copied from other meshes with some of the utilities out there, that's easy enough. And while you can always create the UVs in an external program, creating them from scratch for every piece you make and having to fit them into the template is going to be an absolute nightmare.

Not to mention that the way SketchUp creates geometry is completely non-uniform, and it does whatever it wants to create whatever shape you are trying to make. You would have some serious topographical problems to fix - you'd probably have to retopologize every mesh you make to follow that of the sim body in order to prevent really weird animations.

Then there is the problem that SketchUp is intended to be an easy-to-use CAD type program, for prototyping non-organic models, like buildings and furniture. Create clothing and other CAS items would be exceedingly difficult, just based on the nature of the program. Using SketchUp for CAS items would be about the equivalent of building a house with a potato for a hammer.

Blender3D is currently the standard meshing program for TS4. It's free, a bit intimidating, but 10000x better than SketchUp for what you'd need to do.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070
  • Options
    metalfenix_Rafmetalfenix_Raf Posts: 536 Member
    Yup I agree with @rosemov and @Nearia35 . Sims 4 Studio AND Blender are good for CAS Clothing projects, I know because I made my projects with those two programs.
    Want to see my sims? find me in the Gallery by my Origin ID: metalfenix_Raf

Want to see the Custom Content CAS Pieces I created? Check ModTheSims, Sims 4 Studio Forums
  • Options
    _orangemittens__orangemittens_ Posts: 512 Member
    I agree with rosemow, Nearia35, and metalfenix_Raf. As far as I know there is no custom content tool for Sims 4 that works directly with Sketchup. You're much better off using Blender. As Nearia35 said, "Blender3D is currently the standard meshing program for TS4" and that is not likely to change. :)