The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What do you do with 100 children?

For those who have tried a 100 baby challenge, and for those have had family-oriented sims procreate like bunny rabbits because you satisfied every single have a baby wish, what do you do with all the children as they age up to YA?
  • Just kick them out and hope story progression (EA or SP) finds them a home?
  • Purchase a home for them one by one or in groups?
  • Split the household in Edit Town and add them to other households?
  • Kick them out and ensure there's an empty house available for them to purchase on their own?

I started a 100 baby challenge and got up to 26 kids (all still at home). I aged the eldest to YA finally and kicked him out. The game (or maybe it was NRaas SP) told me he'd be homeless since there wasn't a house available for him. This was in Lunar Lakes, a small town with every house occupied at the time. I thought to myself that after spending so much time raising these sims that I didn't want them homeless. So I canceled.

As a result of me not really thinking about where all these grown up kids will go, I decided to move the entire household to an empty CC world with plenty of housing. That was a big project and my 100 baby challenge attempt basically stalled.

I thinking of trying a new one and I'm curious what other people do with all those babies after they age to YA. 100 sims is a lot to add to a neighborhood.

Thanks for any stories, strategies, suggestions, etc.

Comments

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,918 Member
    edited November 2015
    I had 15 children to cope with and ended up starting my current game to deal with them. It's a lot of fun and I'm learning heaps.

I'm currently setting up a second world to move some of them and their friends to. I'm using NRAAS Traveller to have more than one world in my save. I hope I can get it to work.
  • TreyNutzTreyNutz Posts: 5,780 Member
    I thought about moving the family from world to world via Traveler leaving kids behind in each, but I kind of want to see the kids progress as I play.

Although maybe that's not a bad idea. Instead of a 100 baby challenge do a "10 babies in 10 worlds" challenge.
    TreyNutz wrote: »
    I thought about moving the family from world to world via Traveler leaving kids behind in each, but I kind of want to see the kids progress as I play.

Although maybe that's not a bad idea. Instead of a 100 baby challenge do a "10 babies in 10 worlds" challenge.

I've had mine in one world for about a real life year - but I'm getting into Generation 4 now and I don't want to lose Sims I've spent so much time developing as I'm playing the whole world including Sims from the world plus Sims I've picked up from other worlds I've been in along the way. I even want to keep the ghosts and the ghosts of their dead pets too.

Another reason is I set out to do 'everything' and this is one more thing I've never done before so that's why I've decided now is the right time to try moving a few to a new world.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    I go into Edit Town. There's this one house I downloaded from the Exchange (I think) that never has anyone in it, so I cheat freerealestate, and move the Sims into that house. Since I have NRaas SP, it usually finds them a new home and continues with their lives.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
    I use NRAAS Porter mod to move the whole town's population to a new world if the game can't handle them any more. This may not be possible once I get them into lots of different worlds.
    I go into Edit Town. There's this one house I downloaded from the Exchange (I think) that never has anyone in it, so I cheat freerealestate, and move the Sims into that house. Since I have NRaas SP, it usually finds them a new home and continues with their lives.

That's really interesting. Do you know why NRaas SP consistently moves the sim out of the house?

That's really interesting. Do you know why NRaas SP consistently moves the sim out of the house?

NRAAS SP moves sims around. It is part of what it does. You have to set up casts to stop this from happening. @igazor understands how that works better than I do.
    Yes, I play with NRaas SP and well know how it moves sims around quite a bit. But @MoonandStars83 seemed to be saying that there was a particular lot which for some reason all sims moved out of, making it a go to place to move sims to. Assuming I understood that correctly, I was curious what it was about that lot which caused such behavior.

Maybe the lot fails NRaas' home inspection in some way? I don't know.
    I thought a lot of Sims were placed in that one lot and they gradually move out to fill empty houses.

Porter mod puts all of the sims (200+ sometime) in one house then moves households out to available houses all in one process. If there aren't enough spare houses then you end up with one stuffed house.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Maybe add a few really expensive and large houses to your town no one else can afford and fill them up with the offspring? I don't know, I can't imagine trying to raise up 100 kids off of one Sim couple, but a dozen large houses could hold all of them at eight Sims each.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    My last attempt at using Porter didn't go very well at all. I had limits to how many sims I could pack (far less than 200) and after unpacking there were issues. It also didn't help with an Error Code 12 issue I was having with that game. I haven't used Porter in a long time.
    BSIRegina wrote: »
    Maybe add a few really expensive and large houses to your town no one else can afford and fill them up with the offspring? I don't know, I can't imagine trying to raise up 100 kids off of one Sim couple, but a dozen large houses could hold all of them at eight Sims each.

That's an idea. I might move them out in groups of 4-8 depending on when they age up.

The 100 baby challenge uses one single sim to raise the kids. The challenge requires different fathers for each pregnancy. I kind of cheated last time and made sure I had a plumbot in the household too. The bot didn't help with child rearing, but having it around to cook, clean, repair, and garden was great.
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    Oh good grief, I wouldn't touch that challenge with a ten-foot pole. What a headache!
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
    My last attempt at using Porter didn't go very well at all. I had limits to how many sims I could pack (far less than 200) and after unpacking there were issues. It also didn't help with an Error Code 12 issue I was having with that game. I haven't used Porter in a long time.

I have 16 GB RAM. I don't know if that helps or not. The most Sims I've packed so far has been about 308 and they all unpacked. I just had a problem with the way I dealt with dopplegangers. I've learned to let Porter handle that.

I have a heap of NRAAS mods and I suspect that it may be necessary to have all the mods needed to let you have overstuffed houses as Porter unpacks them ALL into one house then distributes them around town.

If any fail to unpack it seems to mean Porter couldn't find a house for them and they are left in the original house which has continued to be overstuffed.

Unfortunately when Porter unpacks it doesn't care if the house is suitable. It will put a family of 8 in a 1 bedroom house and a single sim in a huge mansion.

Family inventory for each household is in one Sim's personal inventory. I find it usually ends up in the family pet's inventory or a toddler or baby has it all. You need Debug Enabler to move furniture and other objects that shouldn't be in a personal inventory out to Family inventory.

I think redistribution of inventories and simoleans is the biggest issue. Actually inventories is the only bit that is a bit of a pain. And that I have to go around town and move households into more suitable houses.
  • HappySimmer3HappySimmer3 Posts: 6,699 Member
    edited November 2015
    .i used Porter last summer twice and packed up most of the town into 3 groups. Each separate group contained at least one sim or household that was already in one of the other groups. That allowed me to add one group at a time and place them into suitable housing in edit town before adding the next group.

I've had a few saves that were a little messed up. I had to Porter a second time because a dog that was about to die (I guess) was placed in a house by itself and I wasn't able to move it back in with its family. In other saves, things can sometimes just be a little off and starting the process over in a new version of the town can fix it.

But IME this is how the whole game works. I had this one save where every commercial lot was having routing issues but it was happening one at a time. As soon as I fixed that lot, another lot went wonky. And yet I've got 50 other saves of the same town with no problems at all in any of the lots. It's a game that can go wrong on you in one save and be fine in another. I used to test users' CAW worlds for them and after this experience I'm wondering why any of us bothered. :p

Actually this isn't entirely true. If enough of your testers report a problem you can bet it's something that needs to be fixed. But if only one tester has routing issues on a lot, it's possible that it's just their saved game.

Also want to mention that I've been reading this thread because my current household has 8 children and my sim wants another. Lol
    The Sims 30695923002_cffaca4078_t.jpg

Where are we going, and why am I in this hand basket?!
    I recently played a game in Monte Vista. I had Beau Merrick and Richie Striker (recreated in CAS) get married and have 22 kids. I kept them all in the household, learning how to play 24 sims at once. For some reason in that save game the load times would get longer and longer. From 5 min, to 10, to over 20 minutes, very quickly. Went to NRaas for help and resetting the whole town cut the load time back to 5 min. 2 in-game weeks later load times were back to over 15 min. Very weird. I never did figure out the cause. So yeah, this game....

Anyways, I wasn't planning on playing so many sims ever again. 12-14 is my usual household size.

I was mainly curious if most other 100 baby challenge players just kicked out the kids, let story progression deal with it, and just focused on completing the challenge. I'll probably bend all the rules and end up with a "raise 100 children well" type of challenge.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2015
    I was really surprised to see whose thread this was. Based on the blog stories I've read, @TreyNutz would be the one I would go to with such a question myself. :)

The problem with keeping 100 grown or soon to be grown kids (or 25-50 for that matter) all in the same world forever is one of scalability. What happens when the majority of those have an average of let's say 4 or 5 kids and then again for the next generation? It really won't take very long before the entire town is too closely related to each other and/or you have a resident population in the thousands, which the game engine cannot handle.

Of course, you will face a similar problem trying to juggle 100 different worlds if it comes to that a few generations later. Not to sound morbid or anything but most of us won't live long enough ourselves to try and play quite that many sims in rotation. I'm facing enough of a challenge like that myself with only 16 in one generation (kids of two different siblings) and every time I decide exactly which ones I am going to keep playing and which ones I'm going to "let go," I change my mind and start figuring it out all over again. I'll probably never get this resolved and still be trying to figure out which way to go ten years from now.

I hate this game, it's ruining my life. :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
    Lol, @igazor . The scalability issue concerns me quite a bit. I was going to ask in the Chatterbox about this question. Perhaps I still will. It's important to remember that once the 100th baby has aged to YA, that's it for the challenge, and for that save game. I'll move on to another challenge. I only need the game to keep it together for 100 babies, not many generations.

In the one save where my sims had 15+ kids and I moved them out into the world, hardly any had kids. I restored to MC to get grandkids for my sims, and eventually got the later the kids married and pregnant before moving them out just to get a decent 2nd generation. I'm surprised to hear an "average" of 4-5 kids is a possibility.

As much as I like playing large households I don't generally play generations. I'm too much of a challenge player to stick with a particular game for that long.
    edited November 2015
    Ah, I see I misunderstood. I don't play challenges and thought that you had returned to a former challenge type game because your interest in your household(s) was re-sparked and you were looking for a way to play them forward for a much longer amount of time.

So what you want is a residential lot that sleeps 98 sims (or something like that) and keeps them all in a state of zombie-like stasis while you complete your gameplay across town. Not the full-moon kind of zombie, I mean more like you just want them to be happy and well but leave you alone for the most part once they have reached YA..something like that, with maybe a small number of grandchildren here and there. Guess I would probably start stowing them in other worlds using Traveler myself, then.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    I have started a 100 baby challenge before. In Lunar Lakes, which was a poor choice for a 100 baby challenge. But I had just bought the world and was really interested in playing it. I'm not thinking of returning to that game, but instead am thinking about starting the challenge again in a new world with a new sim.

Instead of building a residential lot that holds 98 sims in a state of zombie-like stasis (is there a NRaas SP setting for that? I haven't run across a "zombie-like stasis" setting yet but NRaas SP is so huge I might have overlooked it) I was thinking of starting in an unpopulated custom world and reserving enough housing for all those sims. Question is, how many residents do I rapidly immigrate? I'll post that in Chatterbox, probably tomorrow if I can figure out how to ask the question succinctly (always a problem for me).
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    Once, when I had too many sim kids in a generation of family and couldn't decide which ones to keep, I put them all in a house with no fridge or cooking abilities, ran it on fast forward, and whoever was left standing at the end, was the winner.

*ahem*
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    Not really the silly exaggerated way I described, but SP does have a Stasis option at the Sim, Household, Caste, and Town levels. Sims in Stasis will continue to go to work/school and allow themselves to be pushed around whenever more characters are called for to populate commercial lots and do things around town. But their motives are maxed out and they don't really progress. They are also really boring to be around in that state since they have no needs or desires to be fulfilled.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    @Pary - And the Nurturing Parent/Player of the Year Award goes to (opens envelope)...someone else. ;)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    @Pary - And the Nurturing Parent/Player of the Year Award goes to (opens envelope)...someone else. ;)

Smiley-rollingoverlaughing.gif

To clarify, they weren't kids as in kid stage, I'm not that mean LOL They were all Adults ( it was in Sims 2 ) but I had become tired of trying to choose, out of about sixteen possibilities and it just seemed like that easiest way to pick the toughest contender.
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
    @Pary - I was fully aware you didn't mean young children. Sorry, you still don't get the Award (the one you never asked for anyway).
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!