Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you think The Sims 4 = Failure?

Comments

• CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited April 2016
    @JoAnne65, yes, TS1's CAS allowed you to layer clothes and other accessories. Granted we had to pick a head and some clothes meshes either made the Sim fat or thin, but there was attached "CAS" of sorts that allowed us to take any picture anyone and make that a head in TS. Like a real picture of yourself could be placed on a Sim and tweaked to look just like you. And you could 'paint' the Sims just like gurus do. ETA: Paint the hair, and the skin...skinning which now has to be done in an outside program like Pro Shop paint or an Adobe program (players) but we more or less had the tools the developers were using (of a sort).
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • JoAnne65JoAnne65 Posts: 22,959 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    @JoAnne65, yes, TS1's CAS allowed you to layer clothes and other accessories. Granted we had to pick a head and some clothes meshes either made the Sim fat or thin, but there was attached "CAS" of sorts that allowed us to take any picture anyone and make that a head in TS. Like a real picture of yourself could be placed on a Sim and tweaked to look just like you. And you could 'paint' the Sims just like gurus do. ETA: Paint the hair, and the skin...skinning which now has to be done in an outside program like Pro Shop paint or an Adobe program (players) but we more or less had the tools the developers were using (of a sort).
    Thanks :smile: That sounds like lots of room for your own input then.
    5JZ57S6.png
    Yeah, it's hard to imagine sixteen years later we aren't allowed to layer clothes anymore, or add a belt or things like that. :'( When it was possible in such a dinosaur game if we are looking at technology and 3D etc. of today's game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • BlueBlack007BlueBlack007 Posts: 4,480 Member
    That is what a lot of the Sims franchise fans like me were claiming, that the Sims 4 seems to be declining not going forward from the previous games in the franchise, But we get ridiculed for speaking our minds, I guess only the people who just Luv the game so much is allowed to have a opinion, but I will still speak my mind about it just the same.
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    That is what a lot of the Sims franchise fans like me were claiming, that the Sims 4 seems to be declining not going forward from the previous games in the franchise, But we get ridiculed for speaking our minds, I guess only the people who just Luv the game so much is allowed to have a opinion, but I will still speak my mind about it just the same.

I know the franchise has gone down hill for me. When TS4 was announced I had dreams of the best of all the games being added together in one game......little did I expect...........
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    Ya I agree, little did we all expect, that it would seem to go back to dinosaur age.
  • MeadowThayerrMeadowThayerr Posts: 239 Member
    I do think there are a lot of aspects that are just remastered from the original sims, however I actually really enjoy it. I personally have always preferred TS2 to all of them, but I'm starting to like TS4 just as much. I never really cared for TS3, but I truly do enjoy TS4 and I don't think it's a failure.

Are there some things that need to be worked on? Of course. The infants are graphically unpleasing, and the lack of toddlers is frustrating at best. But most of the other complaints can either be fixed with stuff packs or custom content.
    Hello there, I'm Haleigh!
    It's MeadowThayerr with 2 Rs because someone beat me to the normal way.
    My Sims Website | The Kennedy Legacy ✓ | The Deepwater ISBI | The Disney Name Game
  • BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    It was TS1 that was responsible for most of my learning of Paint Shop Pro. I had to learn how to take photos of people and make them not look like photos in my game. A lot of people would just slap on a picture and call it good but looked awful and I just couldn't do that to myself.

I know I've said it before but I'll say it again. When it came to TS4 a lot of people expected the best of TS2 plus the best of TS3 put together then add some new features (possibly like TS4's CAS, new build features, multi-tasking, etc.) then make sure to thread the game to support 64-bit OSes and kill the bugs. I think that would have made millions of Simmers extremely happy.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Quess_is_BakedQuess_is_Baked Posts: 129 Member
    I wouldn't call it a failure so much as I'd say it's a disappointing departure from Sims 3. There are things I like and things I don't like, but Sims games take years to flesh out so I'm hopeful for improvements. As it stands right now tho, I wouldn't recommend it to anybody to buy.
  • NicottiaNicottia Posts: 76 Member
    edited April 2016
    Voeille wrote: »
    Hermai wrote: »
    Since TS1 had prerendered sprites, they could use these nice textures :p
    (...)

And that’s why sims and objects that move look much worse that everything else, however, I think that graphics in TS1 were really good at the time when it was released. I can’t really say that about TS4.

The other thing I want is grass. Not just flat surface with a texture, but actual grass.

Stranded grass simulation has been developed and hopefully everyone will be willing to spend a little extra on graphic hardware so that game developers will be willing to fully utilize those functions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HoBu35ZNyU

I would personally love to see the stranded hair simulation from the NVidia demo as the standard for The Sims:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyB1mtKxj24

I can agree that these 2 would be utterly awesome to have in the next TS. BUT there is one tiny problem: a lot of people can't simply afford new computers whenever new TS is out, if you know what I'm saying. Atm the PCs that are capable of operating such intricate details are sadly the high end ones. You know - NVidia 980Tis and TitanXs (and their equivalents)... Which at the very moment are out of poor consumer's reach.

I can imagine that the tech will become more and more refined in the next couple of years (especially with VRs out), but as of now these graphic cards are way too expensive. Sure, Maxis and EA could've gone all out with TS4, making the development of the game a lot longer and selling less copies cause people would HAVE to upgrade their rigs first. Trust me, if TS5 will be hyper-realistic, THERE will be people complaining they can't run the game with their +10 year old potato pcs... Which can handle TS4 more or less now.

PS: Sorry for failing at the quotes, I thought I could just cut the YT links out, but apparently I can't.
    7bXthz.png
    My little YouTube corner: Nicottia <= Clickerino!
  • VoeilleVoeille Posts: 474 Member
    Nicottia wrote: »
    I can agree that these 2 would be utterly awesome to have in the next TS. BUT there is one tiny problem: a lot of people can't simply afford new computers whenever new TS is out, if you know what I'm saying. Atm the PCs that are capable of operating such intricate details are sadly the high end ones. You know - NVidia 980Tis and TitanXs (and their equivalents)... Which at the very moment are out of poor consumer's reach.

I can imagine that the tech will become more and more refined in the next couple of years (especially with VRs out), but as of now these graphic cards are way too expensive. Sure, Maxis and EA could've gone all out with TS4, making the development of the game a lot longer and selling less copies cause people would HAVE to upgrade their rigs first. Trust me, if TS5 will be hyper-realistic, THERE will be people complaining they can't run the game with their +10 year old potato pcs... Which can handle TS4 more or less now.

PS: Sorry for failing at the quotes, I thought I could just cut the YT links out, but apparently I can't.

So they’d have previous iterations to stay with. Does The Sims always need to be made so it runs on old computers? Couldn’t at least one iteration be targeted to people with/going to buy gaming machines? I’m sure that some gamers who aren’t currently interested in The Sims would give it a try if its graphics quality were similar to other games they play, and a lot of current simmers would find realistic graphics tempting. It seems like EA does like trying new things, so why not try that instead of dumbing down the game and including RPG elements to a sandbox-style franchise, it would surely bring them some profits.
    “Secret is only a secret when it is unspoken to another.”
    Pond & Sea Water Overhaul (TS2)
    Simblr (my TS2 CC)
    MTS Profile
    edited April 2016
    Yeah, I'm always wondering why those other type games go ahead and build their games and don't build them for laptops and or older graphic cards, and don't sweat if they lose those players, knowing they are going to gain the gamer. I don't think those big RPG/Shooter/MMOs worry about low end pcs.
    They try to make it so Everyone can use it cause Not everyone can go right out and buy another computer like nothing, some who play the sims Are not rich and do not have a lot of money to keep buying computers just to play a game they Luv, that is why Ea & Maxis make it for All of us, not just the rich, I for one am glad they do.
  • NeiaNeia Posts: 4,190 Member
    Yeah, I'm always wondering why those other type games go ahead and build their games and don't build them for laptops and or older graphic cards, and don't sweat if they lose those players, knowing they are going to gain the gamer. I don't think those big RPG/Shooter/MMOs worry about low end pcs.

Because they are also sold on consoles
    edited April 2016
    @BlueBlack007, until this game (just by reading all the forums for years) most players on the forums had much better rigs than I did and I was upgrading all the time. I couldn't keep up with them, lol, I'm saying most people who were playing The Sims series this long had gaming machines long and were always running out to buy the new card or PSU or whatever....it seemed it was only handful (on forums) who didn't keep up with newer technology and how to make their games better (performance). This time around it seems we have slipped back to laptop mode/frame of mind. Other games don't go backwards, they use the newer technology and keep improving to make it as breathtaking as possible. ETA: And leave it up to the player if they want to play, they gotta get a better rig.
    That is not true, because I started on Sims 1 with My Desk top and played it all the way to Sims 3, then it crapped out on me, then I had to go to a Laptop, and been on this for all of them now, so I do not go out and buy a lot cause I just do not have the money for it, :).

I know there's several games out there I'd love to get but I'm holding off until I can get a computer that will do them justice....but I do think the reason Maxis treats The Sims differently is that from everything I've read the "real gaming" community doesn't really take TS seriously.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
    Yeah, @PHOEBESMOM601 but why do I have to suffer low polys (rigid bowls) just because others can't afford a machine? I may not be able to afford better, either, however, I would expect if you turn up the graphics (on a good rig) you would get round bowls. Not in this game.
  • cactusjuicecactusjuice Posts: 573 Member
    edited April 2016
    Sims 3 certainly wasn't accommodating for low end PC's and it sold like wildfire. The problem with accepting a stripped down bare bones basic sims games for the sake of low end computers is that it sets a precedent that allows EA to believe we will accept any old watered down crap game and the quality of the Sims will decline because we allowed them to do it,
  • ImpaktImpakt Posts: 7 New Member
    Reading the answers in the comments here people aren't answering same question, but here are my answers:

Failure in sales? Hardly.
    Failure as a game? It does what it is suppose to, I guess.
    Failure a Sims title, and successor to the series? I wholeheartedly believe I believe it is, and the expansions haven't done anything so far to help from being a disappointment and feeling unfinished.
    Impakt wrote: »
    Reading the answers in the comments here people aren't answering same question, but here are my answers:

Failure a Sims title, and successor to the series? I wholeheartedly believe I believe it is, and the expansions haven't done anything so far to help from being a disappointment and feeling unfinished.

And this is your opinion correct?....because I don't think anyone but EA knows how sales have been and are going.
  • ImpaktImpakt Posts: 7 New Member

Failure a Sims title, and successor to the series? I wholeheartedly believe I believe it is, and the expansions haven't done anything so far to help from being a disappointment and feeling unfinished.> @PHOEBESMOM601 said:
    > Impakt wrote: »
    >
    > Reading the answers in the comments here people aren't answering same question, but here are my answers:
    >
    > Failure in sales? Hardly.
    > Failure as a game? It does what it is suppose to, I guess.
    > Failure a Sims title, and successor to the series? I wholeheartedly believe I believe it is, and the expansions haven't done anything so far to help from being a disappointment and feeling unfinished.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > And this is your opinion correct?....because I don't think anyone but EA knows how sales have been and are going.

If you are having trouble figuring out whether or not if something that is obviously an opinion is an opinion. Let me spell it out for you: It is my opinion.

My opinion is based on hearsay, from the multitude of comments along the lines of "TS4, has outsold TS# therefore not a failure" true or not I have to agree that is some degree of success. It may be an abled bodied person taking gold in the special Olympics but it is what it is. If you are asking has EA/Maxis achieved success as in have they sold enough copies to recoup their investment and possibly profit you are correct only EA and those privy to that information knows not some random guy who happens a copy, obviously.
  • nickibitswardnickibitsward Posts: 3,115 Member
    @BlueBlack007, until this game (just by reading all the forums for years) most players on the forums had much better rigs than I did and I was upgrading all the time. I couldn't keep up with them, lol, I'm saying most people who were playing The Sims series this long had gaming machines long and were always running out to buy the new card or PSU or whatever....it seemed it was only handful (on forums) who didn't keep up with newer technology and how to make their games better (performance). This time around it seems we have slipped back to laptop mode/frame of mind. Other games don't go backwards, they use the newer technology and keep improving to make it as breathtaking as possible. ETA: And leave it up to the player if they want to play, they gotta get a better rig.

I usually get a new PC every 2-3 years and I always made sure it would play The Sims, being the only game I've really invested in. The specs used to be on the box and would also be available online, why not check and make sure whatever you are using can run the game before buying it instead of complaining it doesn't run properly once you try and play it?

• BSIReginaBSIRegina Posts: 5,110 Member
    In my experience there are two camps of Sims players: those stuck on antiquated equipment and those who upgrade as often as they can (I always fell into the latter group--none of my machines were top in specs but they were well above minimum requirements). In my opinion it isn't practical to cater to both groups because ultimately one group is disappointed. I look at modern games and I know there are some I can't play on my computer. If those games were important enough I would squeeze pennies out of rocks if necessary to afford an upgrade.

I remember well with TS2 many players who were stuck with paddle hands because they didn't have enough computer for better graphics. They upgraded as soon as they could. I remember with TS3 people who couldn't run it staying with TS2.

Realistically no one owes us a game that is capable of running on old hardware.

Let us not forget, though, TS4's biggest problem is the early online development that was later pulled in favor of a single player game. Perhaps if they had originally developed it as a standalone game it would be much better than it is.
    Thanks to AdBlock: currently blocking 184 annoying animated siggy .gifs ;)
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited April 2016

I usually get a new PC every 2-3 years and I always made sure it would play The Sims, being the only game I've really invested in. The specs used to be on the box and would also be available online, why not check and make sure whatever you are using can run the game before buying it instead of complaining it doesn't run properly once you try and play it?

Yes I also have at least 3 pcs built during a Sims series run at the very least. I realize it is easier for me than some people as my hubby is a pc tech and we get better prices on components than the average person as well as he does all the work. So I understand how not everyone can do that - but I still think the creators of Sims games need to look a little bit higher in the specs like most game companies do. If the game is good enough - the players will have to upgrade. As chances are most any other game out there needs much higher specs than the Sims - and the majority of gamers are not just simmers. I know personally I resent the fact this game is not even a tiny challenge to my system. I have to go play Fallout 4 on Ultra to even feel my pc's ability. That is rather sad in 2016.

As to the OPs question - well can any of us really answer that question until the game has actually ran its course. Sure maybe some aspects of the game to some of us players feels like a failure because it fails us - but who says that can't all be turned around in the production of the game- hopefully sooner rather than later for me anyway - as I do not enjoy Sims 4 as it sits very much. Can I call it a failure? Not really, seeing some people do enjoy it, even if it fails me it does not make the game a complete failure by no means. Time will eventually answer that question - but for now it is still a work in progress as long as EA allow it to proceed - no matter how much it annoys some of us - me included. That is my honest opinion.
    Post edited by Writin_Reg on

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

This discussion has been closed.
Return to top