Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

NRAAS Story Progression - Career Question

Hi all,

Apologies for the amount of posts I've created this past week or two (3 or 4?) I have just returned to The Sims 3 and found quite a lot of questions.

I find career leveling to A. Be too fast for my sims and B. too slow for other Sims. I use NRAAS SP and note that all the other Sims do not really level skills or the correct skills ( I note this when I marry someone who should have logic or charisma but doesn't?

Are there any Mods or options I'm missing on NRAAS possibly that make career progression for my sim slower and faster for other sims (or at least them leveling skills?)

Thanks.

Comments

• ShadowLabrysShadowLabrys Posts: 281 Member
    edited October 2015
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/MasterController If You wanna Make more skills or set a career get Mastercontroller and Mastercontrollercheats it will help you acquire skills alot easier you can set without working on set skills
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hmm, MasterController would be the tool one uses to step in and fix a sim that didn't end up with skills or a career level you would expect them to have at a certain point in their lives. I think @munchiepoo is looking for a smoother, more automated approach, though MC is certainly handy to have standing by in case intervention is needed.

To slow things down in the career arena, especially for your actives, check (on City Hall)
    NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Careers > Options:Job Performance > Adjust Performance Age Span
    (should be True by default, but at longer life spans, career advancement will slow down and at shorter ones, things will speed up)

NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Careers > Options:Job Performance > Stepped Job Difficulty Scale
    (0 by default, but a positive value here will make the higher job levels much more difficult to achieve with the values acting as a percentage of higher difficulty so 100 I think would make each level twice as hard, probably try something more like 25 to start)

Making inactives progress faster while your actives progress more slowly might be tricky. Especially if these inactives don't have the skill sets required for lots of promotions, which seems to be part of the problem here. In those cases, some inactives will be promoted anyway and their skill levels will rise by way of stories (rather than them actually doing skill related tasks on screen along the way) so that your sims may continue to have bosses and co-workers.

Also remember that inactives who have never been played tend to emerge from high school with no or very few skills since they did not necessarily have nurturing environments full of skill-building objects to work with as they were growing up. And they wouldn't have experienced Uni either, unless we took them there.

You can address some of this by trying to "raise" the whole town from toddler through YA and provide everyone with more learning opportunities that their inactive and often hibernating families are not doing. That's fun to try, but really difficult to accomplish townwide.

You can also insist that more children and teens attend specialty schools (in town, not the boarding schools) where sims tend to slowly build useful skills beyond just doing homework each school day. That strategy requires the Careers mod and its Schools add-on module.

And finally, you can get SP to push inactives to skill up using actual objects, provided they are available to them someplace, with settings coming from SP's Skills add-on module under NRaas > SP > General Options > Options:Skills.
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/StoryProgression+FAQ+Skills
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    Thanks for the replies guys!

Another quick question about adoption - I have set NRAAS to NOT allow adoption accross the town - however when my sim reads the papers I notice people are popping out children - where are they finding partners so fast when we're only 2-3 days into the world.

Is it because I set the maximum residents quite high so the world is trying to populate - but do these babies have fathers and mothers who are in the Town as I have set adoption OFF?
  • SimKeatsSimKeats Posts: 2,186 Member
    As @igazor mentioned having available skill items for townies makes a big difference from my experience, such as, I find in towns where townies live in houses with more skill items in them, they tend to have higher skills.

One problem I noticed with townies and jobs though, is that they tend to not do job related things like Cops are supposed to write reports to progress properly and I dont think I have ever seen an inactive sim do this.
  • cwaddellcwaddell Posts: 4,960 Member
    edited October 2015
    One way to get inactive sims working on skills is to give them at least the first level of a skill. They seem to want to level up their skills. One way I do this is to use MasterController to create a basic young adult skill stamp that I apply to all sims that I use to seed a town. Then I give them additional skills or higher levels for their individual situations.

Now to have it happen organically I wonder if there is a way to set up a basic skill stamp for each caste. Not sure if it can be done though.

Also it would be nice if the skill stamp added to the level rather than overwriting so that if say a sim was at level 3 athletics they would not be set back to level 1 but would get level 4.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2015
    munchiepoo wrote: »
    Another quick question about adoption - I have set NRAAS to NOT allow adoption accross the town - however when my sim reads the papers I notice people are popping out children - where are they finding partners so fast when we're only 2-3 days into the world.

Is it because I set the maximum residents quite high so the world is trying to populate - but do these babies have fathers and mothers who are in the Town as I have set adoption OFF?
    SP's maximum number of world residents is a cap, it's not a device that encourages or discourages baby making. Whenever a pregnancy might form, an adoption might take place (which would be never if you have that shut down), or immigration were to happen, the cap is checked. If there is still room in town under the cap, then the mentioned things can happen. Except for player-directed -- the cap is not checked for your own sims adopting and having babies by your command. It doesn't matter if you are 10 sims under the cap or 200 under, the effect is the same.

Disallowing adoption wouldn't have too many far-reaching effects on a world provided everyone living there isn't infertile.

It sounds to me like you've started out with some sims partnered and possibly pregnant from the beginning. The base number of children a sim will want to have is 3, though that gets adjusted by certain traits. I don't usually see all sims in town trying to fulfill that want all at the same time though, unless your world's population demographics are tilted out of balance -- lots of elders and almost no children, for example would result in a "missing" generation or even a ghost town if such continues. You can use MC to see what kind of balance or imbalance you have.
    On City Hall/computer, NRaas > MC > Demographics > Population > ("X" to dismiss the filter).

So either you have tinkered with some of SP's settings, you have a population imbalance that it's trying to correct, or just by chance you have a town full of sims who love children and want to make more as quickly as possible for reasons known only to them. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I've had two couples starting families in one of my legacies because I directed them to do that though sims won't be able to make those changes on their own because I disallowed them getting pregnant on their own and they aren't allowed to try for a baby unless it's user-directed.I also have to send them to apply for jobs or nobody would be working.I've only seen inactives gain skills or get raises and sometimes getting promotions on their jobs.I have to make them try for babies or adopt if I want those things to happen.I've changed so many settings to get it working this way that it would take ages to get my settings changed if I had to change them manually.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg