Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Ways to keep interested?

I was wondering if you guys could share some ways to keep interested in one household. After the first generation I usually get too bored and/or find it too easy?

Could anyone make any suggestions?

Thanks.

Comments

• MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    I'm currently playing a 100 Baby Challenge, and am about to shift over to my 2nd Generation. It's the first time in a long time I've been interested in one household for more than a couple of (Sim) years. I usually get bored after the kids start aging up.
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • LaBlue0314LaBlue0314 Posts: 17,436 Member
    I have the same problem, that was why I switched over to a normal life span to the longest life span the game allows.
  • munchiepoomunchiepoo Posts: 1,386 Member
    I am quite the perfectionist, in that I can't leave well alone for anything. Everything needs to be perfect, my sims can't have bad lives.
  • MoonandStars83MoonandStars83 Posts: 1,735 Member
    edited October 2015
    Maybe you could test yourself with a Whatever Happens Challenge, or a Wish-ocracy (fulfilling every wish your Sims roll).
    I voted for you, Kevin.
    640?cb=20100910030718
    My Sims 3 Exhange Studio
    My Blog // Click me if you dare.
  • GaiaHypothesisGaiaHypothesis Posts: 1,886 Member
    I like Wishacies, they are ridiculous and fun. I play really loosely, as in I cheat a lot... lol
    I'm writing a story also which helps keep me interested, but I also have the same family (+1 baby) in another save that is purely fun play. The story ones really do very little, but its fun to create the scenes and set up the town. I've built things that I never would have done otherwise.
    Ridiculous Time of Layla and Harris - Wishacy (PG)
    Look What We Started- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT)
    ISLAND END- Simblr (MATURE CONTENT, link is for scene list on sims.com)
    Studio
  • AmphoraAmphora Posts: 3,959 Member
    edited October 2015
    When I got bored with normal play I used to mess with my sims lives and cause drama such as cheating, deaths, etc. I forced myself to stop such harmful actions :trollface:

Now I simply start building, decorating and landscaping houses in my game if I get bored and if I don't want to build then I do something in game I normally NEVER do, such as create a purely evil sim like a vampire who will try to turn the town, or cause a war between the Supernatural simmies. I also have my sim do different careers. What I'm doing in my game now for example is having a sim do all the adventures in every location included in the WA expansion. It's a lot of fun actually :)

But for me, the main thing I've found that keeps me interested is giving my sim families a backstory. My current family backstory has become so detailed I decided to write it down. It stretches from the the founding couple to the current 5th gen in my legacy. The founder's actions had consequences that kind of affected the entire family afterwords and...yeah. It gets you invested in the game as you can tell by my novel length explanation of my simmies :P
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    Avoid money cheats and if you're ok with mods you can install mods to make the game a little harder money wise.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • CherbitDipCherbitDip Posts: 116 Member
    Try and give each generation completely different traits, maybe combos that you haven't used before and see how it plays out :)
  • MoonCrossWarrior22MoonCrossWarrior22 Posts: 719 Member
    Ways to play.... WELL! how I play is; I enter god mode and watch over the town, I'll be rotationaly switching to observe their activity until I get bored then want to control one of the sims; which results in incarnation mode. Once one of the prego sims gives birth to a baby, I then take control over it; then I play them through out their whole life till they die aka age death or accidental death, then back to god mode. :D

THATS how I play sims 3, it is fun as Plums. :D

I shall call this gameplay style "The Incarnation Challenge!"
    If you are interested in challenges; check out the Reincarnation challenge right at this link! here! | If you want spectator mode; go to this link. (for sims 3) here
  • CandyCadetCandyCadet Posts: 517 Member
    I don't play Sims as I used to back in the Sims 1-2 days. The way I play has changed, in a good way, for 3 since I enjoy Open World too much. I've also began writing about my Sims' lives and now I can write an entire story script for them to act in. I can do everything in 3
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I play in empty custom worlds and switch between the families I moved into the town to avoid getting bored with a family.It means my games are about the whole town instead of just a family.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • MiyuEmiMiyuEmi Posts: 2,404 Member
    I generally create my initial sim based on a particular backstory. I generally do legacy play and find that playing without cheats, particularly the money cheat makes things more enduring. I build my sim up from nothing.

I usually don't marry a sim until later in their lives and don't start having sim babies until they're in the Adult life stage. Then I make sure, as above, to give my toddlers interesting traits that I want to play with and if I have more than one sim child, the decision process begins as to who I'm going to play as. I keep the family home with the legacy sim, move out the other siblings and generally remodel/redecorate the house with each generation to keep the house feeling fresh.

I make use of all of the EPs, particularly WA, which I've learned to love more over time. Initially when it came out it was just an annoyance and nothing like the Sims 2 Vacation EP. Going on holidays with my sim(s) allows me to add another dimension to them. Each of my legacy sims has a particular story that I focus on and I allow as much Freewill moments to occur as possible based on those traits. I have admittedly removed the festival locations to make the local park and other venues I've created, more heavily visited to allow for more social events.

I have opportunities turned off because I find that they'll often take away from my immersion. I suppose for myself, simple legacy play is enough to keep me engaged. I will however, find that I get bored if I have (a) too many sims in my household - because I can't focus on anyone in particular so no baby challenges for me, (b) have each of my sims doing the same things in each generation, (c) accidentally realise my daughter has turned off freewill and my sims therefore don't autonomously do anything trait related.
    Screenshot-56.jpg[/img]
    Crowley Family Legacy Patriarch - Jonah Crowley
  • Luis_CarlosLuis_Carlos Posts: 228 Member
    To create a collection of jewels, I have got a skull of tiberium, legally without mods or cheats.
  • jaletu2005jaletu2005 Posts: 688 Member
    edited October 2015
    I play sitcoms alot. I've made and played the Munsters, Bewitched, I Dream of Jeannie, Sabrina, and the Jim Gaffigan Show. Gaffigan has been really interesting as I get to play in Bridgeport. Fun so far.
    Screenshot-5.jpg