Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Diaries/Journals supporting social dynamics and rotational game play.

CK213CK213 Posts: 20,529 Member
edited October 2015 in The Sims 4 Ideas Corner
The Return of The Sims Diary
I haven't played TS2 in ages, but I remember sims could write in a dairy.
I'm not sure if it was just to occupy your sims or if it actually gave them some fun or built a skill, but I liked making them do it.

I would like to see it come to TS4, but in a big, game-play enhancing way.
The game cannot read your mind and know your opinion of sims in the game. It can't anticipate the scenarios you are playing out in your sim world, but there could be a way that you can input that into the game and have it reflected in game play.

Opinions
We could have our sims write in their diary or journal about sims they have met in the game. You can select a sim from your relationship panel and the diary could have a check list of opinions that your sim could have about other sims. This sims is:
-Beautiful on the inside, outside, both, or the opposite of those
-In The Friend Zone
-An Absolute Jerk
-My secret crush
-My parent's dream
-My parent's worst nightmare
-The town floozy or player
-Not my type
-Envious of me
-Gross
-Soooo Hot!

I play rotational and sometimes I like my sims to pursue impossible relationships, or at least very difficult ones. The In The Friend Zone and Not My Type flags would make some relationships one-sided. So if I played my sim, he or she might have some special social options to any autonomous socials the sim from their diary might have. And if I was playing the In the Friend Zone sim, it would be very difficult to climb the romance ladder like sims normally would. Sometimes you want to flirt, but have it rejected because that is the scenario you are playing out.

Imagine your teen sim with two friends. One is her Parents worst nightmare and Sooo hot! The other is her Parents dream, but Not her type. When both visit they will be treated very differently by the girl and the parents.

Secret Wishes
Your sim can write their secret wish for that sim:
-Ask me out
-Propose to me
-Die!
-Offer me a promotion

There is a chance that the wish will come true. Even death.
This would address the desires of simmers to have other sims be more assertive instead of your sims having to initiate everything.

Results
After you ticked off what all your sim will write about, they will settle down with their diary and write. You will see associated thought bubbles for what you checked off along with the face of the sims they are writing about. The next time you meet that sim, you could be in for some interesting experiences helpful to the scenario you are playing out. This should make playing the game more immersive.

Emotions, skills, and time warping
The Diary could also be used to alter emotions. There should be choices specifically to get a certain emotion. You can also chose to write about certain sims and this will trigger emotions based on the relationships. Writing about enemies could make them angry. Writing about friends can make them happy. Writing about love interests could make them flirty.

They could boost skills by writing about certain topics. It could be a minor skill gain along with need increasing--like fun, and maybe some other benefits.

Perhaps diary writing/journal could be a skill that unlocks some of these features. Time warping could be one. When your sim writes, they could earn the ability to slow down time or speed it up for everyone in the household. This would allow your sims to get more done in the day. Or you could just want to make it seem like they are so immersed that time speeds by, or you just want to get the day over with, but without the sped up play. You will just smoothly change the day to night cycle, but without all the speeding up of animations.

Rotational Play and Social Dynamics
Rotating between all your sims and having them writing in their diaries about other sims could build a social consensus about certain sims in the game, that could give these sims an NPC-like status. They will get special roles with socials and autonomous acts, they will be gossiped about. If there are more than one, they will congregate together and become friends (birds of a feather).
The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
Post edited by CK213 on

Comments

• Options
    edited October 2015
    As we play, unexpected ideas come to us inspired by what we are currently experiencing as we play. This idea came to me as I was playing my sim. A diary could really help out with some scenarios that crossed my mind while playing, if I would tell the game what I am thinking.

Olivia, Nora, and Kara would all having something to write about in their diaries.
    [Taken from a simming share thread]
    Another happy play, simming moment, when I wasn't planning on playing the game:

Trying out new CC on Olivia...
    She's so cute! I gotta see it in the game.
    10-13-15_4-28-32nbspPM.png

"Uh... I don't know about this... it's so messy... and stringy..."
    Right, that's the whole point of it, Olivia. Let's go to the club and show you off. You look great!
    10-13-15_4-34-08nbspPM.png

"So... you really like this style on me?"
    Of course! It looks good on you. You need to loosen up.
    10-13-15_4-35-53nbspPM.png

10-13-15_4-37-29nbspPM.png
    That's not loosening up.
    [Sometimes I regret that snooty walk.]

Ah! See? You're eye catching.
    10-13-15_4-41-20nbspPM.png

"Okay, messy by design can be artful. I'm with it."
    Not just anyone can pull that off. Now... let's get to the dance floor.
    10-13-15_4-41-38nbspPM.png

Alright, enough of that. :#
    Olivia is one of my favorite sims and most custom content gets tried out on her... or Melonie, the blonde.
    10-13-15_4-44-45nbspPM.png

Today made me look at dancing differently.
    I now appreciate it for the socializing they do while dancing. It's just another way to chat up other sims, plus their emotions and responses to other sims also makes its it interesting. I will use it for building relationships from now on instead of just fun and watching them dance.
    10-13-15_4-44-15nbspPM.png

I had forgotten about that white outline. I don't pay much attention to it anymore since it only happens when you select a sim and not simply by mousing over them. It looks kind of cool in this dark room.
    10-13-15_4-47-45nbspPM.png

Let's see it on Melonie.
    10-13-15_4-56-16nbspPM.png

How to drive a SimGuru crazy?
    Ask for something back after they have taken it out. :D
    I'm not seriously asking for it back though. They did good. :#
    10-13-15_4-55-55nbspPM.png

Nora Pope entered the dance room and began chatting up Olivia.
    10-13-15_4-57-51nbspPM.png

She is one of my sims in rotation and I am playing her as a notorious flirt.
    She slipped easily into flirt mode while chatting with Olivia.
    10-13-15_5-00-57nbspPM.png

Is that all for you?
    10-13-15_5-00-35nbspPM.png

Maybe...
    10-13-15_4-58-20nbspPM.png

[...]
    10-13-15_5-00-46nbspPM.png

Well, I know who Nora will be on the lookout for when I rotate around to her.
    10-13-15_5-01-22nbspPM.png

It was late and time to go.
    Look at poor Melonie.
    10-13-15_5-02-31nbspPM.png

And sometimes I love her snooty walk.
    10-13-15_5-02-44nbspPM.png

I haven't play Olivia in a while as I played other sims to get their lives started. She owns a high end clothing boutique.
    I should give it some more play.
    10-13-15_5-02-54nbspPM.png

I can see Kara Monteroy back there on the dance club deck.
    10-13-15_5-04-02nbspPM.png

And she is looking very hostile.
    10-13-15_5-05-13nbspPM.png

My imagination says it's directed purely at Olivia.
    10-13-15_5-04-48nbspPM.png

Olivia Banks, beautiful snob, wealthy and everyone loves her...
    10-13-15_5-06-23nbspPM.png

Oh yeah, this green eyed monster in a green dress is going to be hating on you.
    10-13-15_5-05-53nbspPM.png

Reading more into what is going on helps make The Sims fun.
    Having pictures to back it up really helps with the immersion. But this is all giving me some ideas that will make the game help us out when setting up social situations for our sims. I will post it in the Ideas Corner forum. :)

So, in their diaries:

Nora: Olivia is Sooo Hot!
    Kara: Olivia is such a snob
    Olivia: Nora is Not my Type, In The Friend Zone
    Kara is Envious of me.
    Post edited by CK213 on
  • Options
    Any other ideas of what sims could write in their diary is welcome here. :)
  • Options
    fullspiralfullspiral Posts: 14,717 Member
    It just occurred to me. Not only could they write about other sims, but also about places they go. About their vacation trips.....

If a restaurant system is ever introduced, they could write about whether they liked the establishment or not, and then this would be retained and told to other sims and it could be how a restaurant gets ratings to be better. A poor review would hurt a restaurant. etc.
  • Options
    craftaholiccraftaholic Posts: 447 Member
    I think the journal would need a venting option: when you have a negative moodlet you write about it and you feel better. the moodlet either goes away, or the time for it to elapse would shorten.
    Stop me if you've heard this one: a sim walks into a bar....player moves bar out of the way.....sim walks on without walking into anything else.
  • Options
    I think the journal would need a venting option: when you have a negative moodlet you write about it and you feel better. the moodlet either goes away, or the time for it to elapse would shorten.

That's cool. :)
    You could also have an option to do the opposite, if it's an emotion you want to extend another 4 hours, just have then spend 15 to 30 sim minutes writing about it.
  • Options
    IngeJonesIngeJones Posts: 3,247 Member
    Nice idea, CK
  • Options
    CinderellimouseCinderellimouse Posts: 19,380 Member
    Yes! I play rotationally, and I'm quite controlling with my sims. I know some people like to let their sims decide who they want to make friends with, but I've been playing with my sims for so long I already have very fixed ideas about who they would get along with, or not. I'm really attracted to the idea of actually telling my sim 'This is your best friend' or 'You can't stand this person' and actually have them react to them in an appropriate way.

Luckily my TS4 sims seem to already know my plans! They're doing a pretty good job of predicting my plans. ^__^ But I do like the idea of having a way to fix my sims' thoughts about others... and also add that bit of emotional depth with the diary writing.

It might also be nice to have sims remember stuff. An example would be in TS3 when you had a journalist write a nasty article about another sim, you'd get the relationship drop, but then you'd switch to that sim and there was no lasting impact. It would be good to make use of the memories to have ones with lasting impact between households. Long-term and short-term memories. Getting married to another sim would be a huge (presumably positive) long-term memory. Getting into a fight with another sim you dislike would be something you'd remember for a while. But maybe getting into a one-off fight with a really good friend would have less lasting impact. So I'm imagining memories would be calculated in a similar way to emotions.

It would be very interesting to see your diary idea giving us control over relationships, and also being able to incorporate memories about sims. That could give us some very rich emotional and social gameplay!
  • Options
    RoboSpongieRoboSpongie Posts: 1,042 Member
    It would be really nice to see this in a Generations EP ! Random notebook or your own writings for your sims see how they feel and all !
    = Sims Player for 17+ Years =
    tumblr_inline_nsj7xjgkAi1rrkf1x_500.gif
  • Options
    millerolsenmillerolsen Posts: 629 Member
    > @spongefan1222 said:
    > It would be really nice to see this in a Generations EP ! Random notebook or your own writings for your sims see how they feel and all !

It would be great in Generations EP.
    moss

• Options
    It would be very interesting to see your diary idea giving us control over relationships, and also being able to incorporate memories about sims. That could give us some very rich emotional and social gameplay!
    That could be an interesting combination. I like being able to make custom memories in TS4, but I still prefer TS2's memory system.

It would be really nice to see this in a Generations EP ! Random notebook or your own writings for your sims see how they feel and all !
    That would be awesome. :)

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I would love if these Sims would actually remember something. And I loved my Sims writing in their journals in TS2. It built social and fun. If they were alone I made them write in their diary. I don't really like the memory system in this game because the Sim isn't actually seeing what is in the picture (not smart enough) and it's just a buff. I want them to actually remember it. Your ideas are great.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    Yes! I play rotationally, and I'm quite controlling with my sims. I know some people like to let their sims decide who they want to make friends with, but I've been playing with my sims for so long I already have very fixed ideas about who they would get along with, or not. I'm really attracted to the idea of actually telling my sim 'This is your best friend' or 'You can't stand this person' and actually have them react to them in an appropriate way.

Luckily my TS4 sims seem to already know my plans! They're doing a pretty good job of predicting my plans. ^__^ But I do like the idea of having a way to fix my sims' thoughts about others... and also add that bit of emotional depth with the diary writing.

It might also be nice to have sims remember stuff. An example would be in TS3 when you had a journalist write a nasty article about another sim, you'd get the relationship drop, but then you'd switch to that sim and there was no lasting impact. It would be good to make use of the memories to have ones with lasting impact between households. Long-term and short-term memories. Getting married to another sim would be a huge (presumably positive) long-term memory. Getting into a fight with another sim you dislike would be something you'd remember for a while. But maybe getting into a one-off fight with a really good friend would have less lasting impact. So I'm imagining memories would be calculated in a similar way to emotions.

Yeah, I would like that little push/support that would help my reading more than is actually there in social situations.