Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you turn off your computer at night?

Β«1
cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
I usually turn it off but if it's doing something like defragmenting I will leave it on through the night and schedule an auto shutdown at 4am or so. Other than that, I shut it down at night because, if I'm not using it, why be wasting power? I was wondering if you shut down your pc at night or leave it on or just hibernate/sleep it?
PC Specs:
Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
16GB DDR4 RAM
128GB SSD
1TB 7200RPM HDD
NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
6685561181.png
Rogers Ignite 70u internet

Comments

• 0Chloe0Chloe Posts: 1,922 Member
    I always turn it off.

I get scared that whilst I'm sleeping, something will happen and I won't be awake to fix it or see what's going on and it'll break. Lol.
    nR9bj3xc5JPW0.gif
  • EmmaVaneEmmaVane Posts: 7,847 Member
    edited October 2015
    I used to, and while I work, but trying to stop doing it. Trying to save electricity.

Also, my old computer took a lot longer to reboot. I find I don't mind the wait now that it's shorter.
  • CementCement Posts: 3,505 Member
    Well, sometimes I don't shut it off because I fall asleep on my keyboard. :/ I sleep sort of irregularly so sometimes I don't know if I've slept or not. When I know I'm going to be out for a long time or start feeling drowsy, I do shut it off though. Can't have the bills skyrocketing, I'm not the only one in my house using electricity. xD
  • rosey1579rosey1579 Posts: 6,252 Member
    If I don't then it will be a waste of electricity. That might lead to load shedding...
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    I always used to close my laptop lid (which would cause my laptop to hibernate and use no power). But recently I downloaded an alarm clock application that works well for me, unlike my phone's alarm, which stops after a minute without human intervention. On some days I leave my laptop on for this purpose.
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • Nh6650Nh6650 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I always turn it off.
  • hihi122122hihi122122 Posts: 1,259 Member
    It's generally bad for the computer to not shut it down regularly. Hard on the hard drive and temporary memory. It's also a power hog and heat generator, so I turn it off when I'm not using it. The only exception was with my old computer. It took 10 minutes to boot up, so if I had to leave for less than 3 hours, I put it in sleep. Newer computers allow you to put the computer in hibernate after sleep mode for x amount of time. So I had the setting to go to hibernate if it was asleep for more than an hour. Goes to sleep if inactive for 15 minutes. Worked well. My new computer is SSD, so I have 8 second boot time. With that, I always turn off when not using -- sleep recovery takes longer!
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,596 Member
    I use a laptop and I turn it off right after I use it before going to bed.
    My Top Song of the Day: Innocence by Avril Lavigne
    832XG3D.gif
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    never i always leave my pc on at night and never shut it down the only time i would shut down my pc is if i have to

1 clean it and clean my computer desk

2 when i leave on vacation

other wise i never shutdown my pc and always leave it on
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • chesterbigbirdchesterbigbird Posts: 8,581 Member
    I do.. because all the LED'S and fans will keep me awake! :D
    i7 6700K
    16GB hyper X fury
    MSI GTX 1080
    MSI gaming M5 mobo
    Evga 750 supernova
    Corsair hydro h110i GT
    Corsair obsidian 750D
    500GB SSD
    6TB Seagate Barracuda Pro
    LG 34" ultra wide

• DabelrojoDabelrojo Posts: 11 New Member
    yea ido
  • Colton147147Colton147147 Posts: 10,454 Member
    I always turn mine off when it is time for bed.
    Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.
  • dreamerz13dreamerz13 Posts: 9,927 Member
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Generally it depends on "how much junk do I have open?" Lots (this is the case 99.99% of the time), "okay what is it? stuff that shuts off fast, or stuff like sims 3 that takes a minute or two to save and shut down?" Word documents and my browser sure I'll shut it down. Stuff like sims 3 or gimp because it's kind of annoying "How tired and/or lazy do I feel right now?" usually the answer is "I just wanna go to bed, forget it" XD
  • TadOlsonTadOlson Posts: 11,380 Member
    I always turn it off at the end of the day though I'll hibernate it if I'm still using it and had to leave for a while.I don't turn it off if I'm defragmenting the hard drive or if I had a major scan that took a long time.
    44620367775_0442f830c1_n.jpg
  • have2admithave2admit Posts: 2,246 Member
    I always shut it down before bed, or if I'm gone more than say 2 or 3 hours. The rest of the time it's asleep with the screen turned off. :)
  • MelanieSimlishMelanieSimlish Posts: 4,432 Member
    No, I use it to fall asleep to episodes of Gilmore Girls. :# Mine is a laptop though, so as long as I don't use the charger all night long (which I normally don't) then I don't feel like I'm wasting energy. The affects it has on my sleep are questionable though lol.
    44444.gif
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I turn it off every night unless I want to keep a program open.

https://youtu.be/BDDKw6Apxrg
    i7-13700K β€’ 16GB β€’ RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • LazerRay3LazerRay3 Posts: 312 Member
    I turn off my laptop every time I'm done using it to let it cool back down or when I take it some where since its not meant to run on battery for long
  • SelSel Posts: 430 Member
    I used to just close my old laptop and leave it on standby for the night... baaad idea :D But yeah, it's probably best to just know when you're going to sleep and turning it off...
    Origin ID: Selxna
  • LazerRay3LazerRay3 Posts: 312 Member
    I have to pay close attention to my laptop to keep it running as long as possible since I can't afford expensive repairs or even think of getting a new one, and the current system is over 6 years old and on its third hard drive (I maxed out the other ones, and the second drive was getting ready to fail).
  • Nancy01905Nancy01905 Posts: 3,929 Member
    I always shut down my computer when I am going to bed, if i am doing a scan that I ask the scan to turn it off
  • cale2003cale2003 Posts: 2,802 Member
    And also because its usually on 16 hours per day (No I do not play for 16 hours straight) So it needs its rest at night.
    PC Specs:
    Asus ROG GL753VE-BS71 17.3 inch
    Intel Core i7 7700HQ 2.8-3.8GHz
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    128GB SSD
    1TB 7200RPM HDD
    NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1050 TI 4GB
    6685561181.png
    Rogers Ignite 70u internet
  • AHeinAHein Posts: 46 Member
    I always turn it off! I'm afraid of radiation...

tumblr_mww92shs3D1s6o0byo1_400.gif
  • kailayykailayy Posts: 678 Member
    I turn it off whenever I don't use it. It's still pretty new so boot up is very quick.
    Plus I just have a feeling that leaving it on just shortens the computers/laptops life time.
    f83dfb1c9b73678c25af9b6044949efa.gif
  • Harley058832Harley058832 Posts: 48 Member
    I usually turn it off at night during the week, but I usually only hibernate during the weekend since I am on it more.