The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Windows 10

I just installed windows 10 And am "confused" on the download process. I want to open the DL with WinRAR, but it is opening in windows explorer. How do you DL using 10. It must be easy that's why I can't figure it out.

Comments

• ceejay402ceejay402 Posts: 24,507 Member
    hey @ferret9005 can you confirm you are trying to download a cc file with winrar. as for opening in explorer are you using the web browser of your choice? if so the files should open within that one so i use firefox and when i use winrar the file is available via firefox and the same would be true if i used chrome.
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    I don't think the problem is with WinRAR, it's the package files, I have no option to save or save as just open. I have to move them to my desktop to put them in my mods folder.
  • TxrdlyPxxpTxrdlyPxxp Posts: 130 Member
    Go to whatever folder it downloaded to (probably your C:\Users\USERNAME\Downloads folder)

Right click the file you're trying to open with WinRAR, and choose "open with" and then "choose another app"

A dialogue will open asking you to choose a program. If winrar is not listed, click "more apps" at the bottom of the list. After you choose winrar, make sure to check "always use this app to open" and then click ok.

I'm thinking your problem is the install of Windows 10 changed your default program. So if that's the case, this should fix it. Good luck! Let me know if that worked!
  • ferret9005ferret9005 Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited September 2015
    Its not letting me change it. I hit more apps and click on WinRAR all it does is open the WinRAR file and the open with disappears. is the download process the same as windows 7 . I dl a file and it automatically goes to this PC/downloads folder. If it is to opened with WinRAR, it automatically opens with the files ready to be extracted. there is no book icon for the file to save
  • Nearia35Nearia35 Posts: 522 Member
    ferret9005 wrote: »
    Its not letting me change it. I hit more apps and click on WinRAR all it does is open the WinRAR file and the open with disappears. is the download process the same as windows 7 . I dl a file and it automatically goes to this PC/downloads folder. If it is to opened with WinRAR, it automatically opens with the files ready to be extracted. there is no book icon for the file to save

That is browser dependent, and has absolutely nothing to do with your operating system. You have to tell your internet browser where to save files, or if it should ask where to save a file every time, and if it should automatically open them or not.
    Playing on an HP Z800: 2x 6-core Intel Xeon X5660s, 48GB RAM, 4GB nVidia GTX 970
    Alienware R4 17: i7 6700HQ, 16GB RAM, 8GB NVidia GTX 1070