Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I want to play the Sims 2 base game. Computer asks for Apartment Life DVD...still can't play! :(

I'm generally new to all things sims so please answer specifically. I got this game less than a week ago.

Ok so, I have the Sims 2 base game and the Apartment Life expansion pack. I decided I wanted to play the base game (which I installed first), so I inserted my ''The Sims 2'' DVD and clicked on The Sims 2 desktop icon. Launcher came up, I clicked play. What happens?

It asks for the Apartment Life DVD.

Confused at first..I take out The Sims DVD and insert Apartment Life. Since I wanted to play The Sims 2, I again click on The Sims 2 desktop icon and press play on the launcher. As I skip pass the game intro, it says I'm on Apartment Life?

I exit out, click the Apartment Life desktop icon, blah blah blah, press play, and of course I'm on Apartment Life.

I looked stuff up and I have heard that you're supposed to install the games in order..but then again I heard some people say the order doesn't matter.

My games all came in a pack. I have the base game, Apartment Life, Pets, and Seasons.

I have Windows 7 and no problems have happened besides this!

Comments

• Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,588 Member
    Hi

Do you have Apartment Life installed?

The games build upon eaxh other but you can't play any separate if other expansions are installed. The game runs off the latest expansion in tHe release order, not the installed order.
  • sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    > @Rflong7 said:
    > Hi
    >
    > Do you have Apartment Life installed?
    >
    > The games build upon eaxh other but you can't play any separate if other expansions are installed. The game runs off the latest expansion in tHe release order, not the installed order.

Ah, alright. So if I want to play the base game again, I have to uninstall Apartment Life? And right now with the Sims 2 and Apartment Life both installed on my computer, they both become one game, which makes it not possible for me to just play the Sims 2 base game alone?
  • NerdySims99NerdySims99 Posts: 150 Member
    If you want to play just the base game then yes, you have to uninstall Apartment Life (and any other expansions you might have).
    "You've gotta be stirring my pasta."
  • baccsurfsbaccsurfs Posts: 21 Member
    > @hepburnfan said:
    > Ah, alright. So if I want to play the base game again, I have to uninstall Apartment Life? And right now with the Sims 2 and Apartment Life both installed on my computer, they both become one game, which makes it not possible for me to just play the Sims 2 base game alone?

That's the whole point of an expansion pack; to expand on the base game. Essentially you're playing the base game with the added extras that come with Apartment Life. i.e. apartments, any objects/clothes/whatever. You don't have to use those items as you're playing thought.
  • sugarplumpeachsugarplumpeach Posts: 177 Member
    [quote="baccsurfs;14153280"]> @hepburnfan said:
    > Ah, alright. So if I want to play the base game again, I have to uninstall Apartment Life? And right now with the Sims 2 and Apartment Life both installed on my computer, they both become one game, which makes it not possible for me to just play the Sims 2 base game alone?

That's the whole point of an expansion pack; to expand on the base game. Essentially you're playing the base game with the added extras that come with Apartment Life. i.e. apartments, any objects/clothes/whatever. You don't have to use those items as you're playing thought.[/quote]

That makes so much sense. Thank you!