June 26 - We will be performing a maintenance on The Gallery today. Details here.
June 18 - Patch day for The Sims 4 on PC/Mac! Take a look at what changed on PC/Mac here

The Sims 4 Sales Figures

Comments

  • stacylynn79stacylynn79 Posts: 266 Member
    edited September 2015
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    Just a memo - Sim City 2013 sold 2 million copies out of the gate - even among the uproar - where is Sims City 2013 now?.

    I also heard that this was the most copies sold out of any other simcity game, so it was a great start out of the gate.

    SimCity's death wasn't natural. It was killed by EA. They couldn't keep up the servers and that's what killed it with many fans.

    The SimCity server debacle is also what made EA abandon The Sims Olympus and make it an offline game. SimCity doesn't have nearly the amount of players that The Sims franchise has, and EA couldn't keep its servers up and running well enough for fans to enjoy the game. Now, imagine the large scale server failures EA would have with millions more ppl logging on to play The Sims 4 Olympus. It would be a bigger failure than SimCity.

    Personally, I'm an optimist with SimCity, and hope it can be revived; at least for the sake of its long-time loyal fans. I hope they're regrouping at EA's offices and working on the next version of the game, because it might be worth saving. And if it is saved then it has to be better then Cities:Skyline, because that's the current benchmark for what fans want in a city builder.

    Two more points before I finish.

    1) Lucy Bradshaw, who oversaw the SimCity DRM debacle, has left the company. I hope she was given the choice of resigning or getting fired, because there's absolutely no reason why SimCity 2013's life should have been cut this short. (I tried to say that with a straight face.) It's her bad decision for why fans might not see another game in what was, unarguably, a great franchise with a loyal fan base.

    2) Maxis has been merged with EA mobile, and the head of The Sims Studio, Rachel Franklin, has been promoted. This is bad news for fans of The Sims Franchise.

    Firstly, Franklin makes bad decisions regarding this game and has given us the mess that is the sims 4. She's part of the problem, and she's being given more power within the company. That's scary. I guess, for EA, she would have to put another great franchise on its deathbed before she leaves through the same doors as Bradshaw.

    Secondly, Maxis merging with EA Mobile is bad news. Right now, they claim that the sims will remain an offline game. But they could change their minds tomorrow, if they wanted. Or, they could be straight up lying, and I wouldn't put that beneath them.

    They've been pushing online elements of the game for years, and we know that the sims 4 was supposed to be online only. It's just a matter of time before they try to breathe life into Olympus again.

    Really, what's the reason to merge them? It's to push it as an online game in the future.
    Post edited by stacylynn79 on
  • TheSingingSimmerTheSingingSimmer Posts: 3,342 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Just a memo - Sim City 2013 sold 2 million copies out of the gate - even among the uproar - where is Sims City 2013 now?.

    Also numbers we do have on the Sims also include the number of the ep and not just the base game - so that practically halves the number of base games sold - meaning the number of players willing to spend money on the game.

    Last I know a fair number of simmers bought the base game that were upset to start with having no toddlers to 1- to see if the game could still be enjoyable or two to have the basegame when the DEVs fulfilled on their top priority to give the players the toddlers and other missing thing - but when the devs did not do as promised - then these players are not still buying the game.

    So if anything the numbers available are 1- skewered and 2- I understand is only the numbers that were sold on disk. So actually knowing how well or how badly the Sims 4 has done thus for is really and truly an unknown as long as EA does not tell us - we can only speculate.

    Also keep in mind - many of us who are unhappy with Sims 4 - could be made happy with the game if we could feel Maxis acted upon their promises to finish the base game to a point we could enjoy our play style. I do not see how it is possible for The Sims 4 to fully reach it's potential as long as the game and the studio can justify alienating at least half the fans. When fans claim they have played this game 14 years and can still love it as flawed as Sims 3 was - it makes new possible players look twice at a game that can hold onto to their player base so long. A far better way to entice in new players than alienating a now nearly 16 year fan base into no longer able to enjoy the game they so loved because Maxis found them unimportant enough to include their play style. What do potential new players say when they see post after post of unsatisfied long time fans all over the internet - not just here? They would be fools to invest in a game that hardcore fans can not even love - and many people will do just that -look elsewhere.

    Truthfully when Maxis makes a game everyone can enjoy it can only result in a win-win and bring in more new blood into the mix - and that is a fact of marketing 101.

    You post some of the most un-sourced facts I swear.

    The 2 million PHYSICAL units do not include EP data. Also SimCity sold 2 million physical and digital.
    ALSO SimCity got more content than any other SimCity game. All SimCity games only get one Expansion. EA did not drop the game, it ended it's natural cycle.

    I do? You who posted a Aprils fool joke from another site as proof that Maxis was making a weather ep with disasters. At least I attend the stock holders conference calls and keep abreast of my stock in EA and base things off of more than just the Sims. I have a wider interest than just this game. I look at facts whether or not you want to believe them. Honestly - you will go to any length you can for reasons I cannot understand to try and disprove things you do not agree with. I find I still rather trust what I see and hear from the company over anything I see and hear on the forum - especially from you trying to call me out for lord knows why - because you don't actually like facts. Again need I mention the April Fools joke you tried to prove your weather ep was being made by maxis and how you claim to only get your info from EA and not other sites. That was not from EA but from other sites.

    burn.jpg

    This is why we're friends.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 1,471 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Any of the numbers you see floating around the web (NPD group/VGChartz) is flawed as Origin does not release sales data so is based on a small number of consumer surveys plus a conflation of hard copies that were sold.

    Lol putting NPD group and VGChartz in the same sentence is plum funny.

    NPD group directly gets their sales data from retailers such as gamestop, walmart, target, bestbuy (in the US). They do not track digital downloads but otherwise their physical sales data is 100% accurate.

    Meanwhile VGChartz is nothing but a scam website that presents their own "estimates" (i.e. made-up numbers) as sales data to attract web traffic. They do not get any actual sales data from anyone.

    ΔΤΔ



    lhSmWvL.png
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 16,879 Member
    edited September 2015
    elelunicy wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Any of the numbers you see floating around the web (NPD group/VGChartz) is flawed as Origin does not release sales data so is based on a small number of consumer surveys plus a conflation of hard copies that were sold.

    Lol putting NPD group and VGChartz in the same sentence is plum funny.

    NPD group directly gets their sales data from retailers such as gamestop, walmart, target, bestbuy (in the US). They do not track digital downloads but otherwise their physical sales data is 100% accurate.

    Meanwhile VGChartz is nothing but a scam website that presents their own "estimates" (i.e. made-up numbers) as sales data to attract web traffic. They do not get any actual sales data from anyone.
    They both use NPD figures and the same software. I wouldn't view either as accurate. To say one is true and the other isn't would be silly.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 1,471 Member
    edited September 2015
    Scobre wrote: »
    They both use NPD figures. I wouldn't view either as accurate.

    In rare occasions VGChartz stole NPD's figures when they're published.

    Otherwise NPD figures are NOT publicly available. You need to pay thousands of dollars to be their subscriber to get their sales data.
    Scobre wrote: »
    To say one is true and the other isn't would be silly.

    People in the industry are literally paying thousands of dollars to get sales data from NPD. You think these people are dumb?

    ΔΤΔ



    lhSmWvL.png
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 35,493 Member
    Hi :)

    Welcome to the Forums. :cookie:

    As long as you're having fun and enjoy the game, there's nothing to worry about. The game is here for you to enjoy. Anything for the Future of the game- it's all guess work here.

    Happy Simming! :mrgreen:
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 16,879 Member
    edited September 2015
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    They both use NPD figures. I wouldn't view either as accurate.

    In raer occasions VGChartz stole NPD's figures when they're published.

    Otherwise NPD figures are NOT publicly available. You need to pay thousands of dollars to be their subscriber to get their sales data.
    That's interesting. Funny how NPD units sold were only shown with VGChartz then.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • elelunicyelelunicy Posts: 1,471 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    elelunicy wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »
    They both use NPD figures. I wouldn't view either as accurate.

    In raer occasions VGChartz stole NPD's figures when they're published.

    Otherwise NPD figures are NOT publicly available. You need to pay thousands of dollars to be their subscriber to get their sales data.
    That's interesting. Funny how NPD figures were only shown with VGChartz then.

    No. VGChartz does not have NPD's figures (besides the very rare occasions when NPD's numbers get leaked).

    If VGChartz had NPD's numbers, they would get sued so hard by NPD by publishing the figures on their sites.

    ΔΤΔ



    lhSmWvL.png
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Any of the numbers you see floating around the web (NPD group/VGChartz) is flawed as Origin does not release sales data so is based on a small number of consumer surveys plus a conflation of hard copies that were sold.

    Lol putting NPD group and VGChartz in the same sentence is plum funny.

    NPD group directly gets their sales data from retailers such as gamestop, walmart, target, bestbuy (in the US). They do not track digital downloads but otherwise their physical sales data is 100% accurate.

    Meanwhile VGChartz is nothing but a scam website that presents their own "estimates" (i.e. made-up numbers) as sales data to attract web traffic. They do not get any actual sales data from anyone.

    ok you can link the proof if your words please???? link your source???
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 27,892 Member
    elelunicy wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Any of the numbers you see floating around the web (NPD group/VGChartz) is flawed as Origin does not release sales data so is based on a small number of consumer surveys plus a conflation of hard copies that were sold.

    Lol putting NPD group and VGChartz in the same sentence is plum funny.

    NPD group directly gets their sales data from retailers such as gamestop, walmart, target, bestbuy (in the US). They do not track digital downloads but otherwise their physical sales data is 100% accurate.

    Meanwhile VGChartz is nothing but a scam website that presents their own "estimates" (i.e. made-up numbers) as sales data to attract web traffic. They do not get any actual sales data from anyone.

    Very true!!!! I find it weird if a title is doing well - why we don't see some kind of charts in the News Blog of EA - at least the base game - but I know EA is very private with those kind of things - just not sure why. Once they have sold a product - what harm really does it do in showing pride in the numbers. But hey - it is their business and not much we can really do about it. Sort of like playing ball on a ball field that restricts one from using any balls but theirs, then makes you play by their rules (right or wrong) or they will take their balls away. I guess some people want to know so bad they will settle for any numbers they can get. LOL.

    I assure you of one thing if the Sims ever become the best selling game of all times AGAIN - then we will get an EA number. No - they would rather we just know the number of woo-hoo our sims in Sims 4 do.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • ScobreScobre Posts: 16,879 Member
    edited September 2015
    I do remember on the annual conference call how 2014 sales weren't that great. Which is interesting considering this:
    http://honeywellsims4news.tumblr.com/post/100279755201/npd-sales-figures-the-sims-4-ranks-8th-the

    It seems it doesn't matter what the NPD is. EA didn't think Sims was performing well in 2014. They did mention sales have improved in 2015.

    I guess best advice, keep an eye on the conference calls. They are far more accurate. Writin_Reg probably has more knowledge about it being an investor.

    Legally there is no reason why they shouldn't share sales figures. They are a publically traded company. Decision not to share them is a personal decision either by EA or Maxis.
    "The Sneetches got really quite smart on that day. The day they decided that Sneetches are Sneetches. And no kind of Sneetch is the best on the beaches. That day, all the Sneetches forgot about stars and whether they had one, or not, upon thars." -Dr. Seuss

    Everyone is a Simmer.
  • jusMehjusMeh Posts: 424 Member
    edited September 2015
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    You post some of the most un-sourced facts I swear.

    The 2 million PHYSICAL units do not include EP data. Also SimCity sold 2 million physical and digital.
    ALSO SimCity got more content than any other SimCity game. All SimCity games only get one Expansion. EA did not drop the game, it ended it's natural cycle.

    WOW, you are one to talk. Truly. :D

    And indeed EA DID drop the last SimCity game. LOL. Also, weren't you the one who once claimed that Sims 4 had an "open world" and was not a closed world game? Again - lmao.

    eta: I didn't know about the April Fool's joke thing. That's even funnier!!




  • Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 27,892 Member
    jusMeh wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    You post some of the most un-sourced facts I swear.

    The 2 million PHYSICAL units do not include EP data. Also SimCity sold 2 million physical and digital.
    ALSO SimCity got more content than any other SimCity game. All SimCity games only get one Expansion. EA did not drop the game, it ended it's natural cycle.

    WOW, you are one to talk. Truly. :D

    And indeed EA DID drop the last SimCity game. LOL. Also, weren't you the one who once claimed that Sims 4 had an "open world" and was not a closed world game? Again - lmao.

    eta: I didn't know about the April Fool's joke thing. That's even funnier!!

    OOOOOO Congrats - you must be so excited. I just saw your siggie!!!!! Always a GREAT thing!!!!! So Happy for you.

    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

    In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited September 2015
    Sims 4 did not sell 2 million physical copies. In fact, we have no clue how many copies Sims 4 sold. NPD group's numbers are a swag based on physical copies and small consumer surveys (8k people) to guesstimate how many digital sales were sold. Origin does not release its sales figures just as EA does not announce them.

    If Sims 4 sold 2 million physical copies of the base game, then Maxis would not only be talking about how Sims 4 outsold previous sims games from the launch, but they most likely wouldn't have been restructured and rolled into a different EA division. Instead, Maxis would be expanding :/
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Sims 4 did not sell 2 million physical copies. In fact, we have no clue how many copies Sims 4 sold. NPD group's numbers are a swag based on physical copies and consumer surveys (small). Origin does not release its sales figures just as EA does not announce them.

    If Sims 4 sold 2 million physical copies of the base game, then Maxis would not only be talking about how Sims 4 outsold previous sims games from the launch, but they most likely wouldn't have been restructured and rolled into a different EA division. Instead, Maxis would be expanding :/
    they are expanding... to the mobile world..., cuz is less expensive and less difficult make app games :D :D >:)
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,177 Member
    Ellessarr wrote: »
    ejoslin wrote: »
    Sims 4 did not sell 2 million physical copies. In fact, we have no clue how many copies Sims 4 sold. NPD group's numbers are a swag based on physical copies and consumer surveys (small). Origin does not release its sales figures just as EA does not announce them.

    If Sims 4 sold 2 million physical copies of the base game, then Maxis would not only be talking about how Sims 4 outsold previous sims games from the launch, but they most likely wouldn't have been restructured and rolled into a different EA division. Instead, Maxis would be expanding :/
    they are expanding... to the mobile world..., cuz is less expensive and less difficult make app games :D :D >:)

    Heh, but the studio itself was reorganized and rolled into another division. Had Sims 4 really sold 2 million physical copies, EA would be tossing more money at Maxis to expand. The mobile division making Sims games already would benefit as well. But the direction they seem to be heading towards doesn't indicate the Sims 4 has been a resounding success.
  • DyingLightDyingLight Posts: 283 Member
    edited September 2015
    Even if EA released sales numbers for the sims 4, it's highly unlike we'd ever know how much this game has sold. Origin purchases would not be a reliable source of information (considering there are always discounts and sales), as there are a lot of people who return the game before the 48 hour policy. They could end up counting those "sales" as official purchases. Plus many stores no longer sell pc physical copies (that could mean these stores no longer keep track of how many pc games are sold), so the number of shipped units could be flawed. I also doubt websites like amazon keep track of how much money this game is making.

    The only way we could know how much it's sold, would be if EA released the overall revenue of the sims 4. That way we could compare it to the revenue of all the other sims games. But they won't do it anyway. For them it's better to keep it a secret in order to avoid criticism. All the other lists they keep posting on this forum are mere speculation. And origin lists are not reliable IMO because their only purpose is to boost sales.
  • SlawfishSlawfish Posts: 431 Member
    Well, we do know that Sims 4 topped the pc game sales of 2014. We also know Sims 4 sold more than Warlords of Draenor, which sold over 3.3 million copies upon release during it's first 24 hours. So there are some facts at least. I'd guess the actual number is a little bit higher for Sims 4.
    But we also know Sims 4 caused controversy, so whether over 3.3 million people play it today I can't say. But then there's also the fact that Mac users were unable to buy Sims 4 before 2015, so there's some sales from those as well.
    We can only speculate, but for sales figures, 2 million is too low. (Again, not talking active players here).
  • Ashley RoseAshley Rose Posts: 39 Member
    Writin_Reg wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Just a memo - Sim City 2013 sold 2 million copies out of the gate - even among the uproar - where is Sims City 2013 now?.

    Also numbers we do have on the Sims also include the number of the ep and not just the base game - so that practically halves the number of base games sold - meaning the number of players willing to spend money on the game.

    Last I know a fair number of simmers bought the base game that were upset to start with having no toddlers to 1- to see if the game could still be enjoyable or two to have the basegame when the DEVs fulfilled on their top priority to give the players the toddlers and other missing thing - but when the devs did not do as promised - then these players are not still buying the game.

    So if anything the numbers available are 1- skewered and 2- I understand is only the numbers that were sold on disk. So actually knowing how well or how badly the Sims 4 has done thus for is really and truly an unknown as long as EA does not tell us - we can only speculate.

    Also keep in mind - many of us who are unhappy with Sims 4 - could be made happy with the game if we could feel Maxis acted upon their promises to finish the base game to a point we could enjoy our play style. I do not see how it is possible for The Sims 4 to fully reach it's potential as long as the game and the studio can justify alienating at least half the fans. When fans claim they have played this game 14 years and can still love it as flawed as Sims 3 was - it makes new possible players look twice at a game that can hold onto to their player base so long. A far better way to entice in new players than alienating a now nearly 16 year fan base into no longer able to enjoy the game they so loved because Maxis found them unimportant enough to include their play style. What do potential new players say when they see post after post of unsatisfied long time fans all over the internet - not just here? They would be fools to invest in a game that hardcore fans can not even love - and many people will do just that -look elsewhere.

    Truthfully when Maxis makes a game everyone can enjoy it can only result in a win-win and bring in more new blood into the mix - and that is a fact of marketing 101.

    You post some of the most un-sourced facts I swear.

    The 2 million PHYSICAL units do not include EP data. Also SimCity sold 2 million physical and digital.
    ALSO SimCity got more content than any other SimCity game. All SimCity games only get one Expansion. EA did not drop the game, it ended it's natural cycle.

    I do? You who posted a Aprils fool joke from another site as proof that Maxis was making a weather ep with disasters. At least I attend the stock holders conference calls and keep abreast of my stock in EA and base things off of more than just the Sims. I have a wider interest than just this game. I look at facts whether or not you want to believe them. Honestly - you will go to any length you can for reasons I cannot understand to try and disprove things you do not agree with. I find I still rather trust what I see and hear from the company over anything I see and hear on the forum - especially from you trying to call me out for lord knows why - because you don't actually like facts. Again need I mention the April Fools joke you tried to prove your weather ep was being made by maxis and how you claim to only get your info from EA and not other sites. That was not from EA but from other sites.

    burn.jpg

    7zJPeCh.gif
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,177 Member
    edited September 2015
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Well, we do know that Sims 4 topped the pc game sales of 2014. We also know Sims 4 sold more than Warlords of Draenor, which sold over 3.3 million copies upon release during it's first 24 hours. So there are some facts at least. I'd guess the actual number is a little bit higher for Sims 4.
    But we also know Sims 4 caused controversy, so whether over 3.3 million people play it today I can't say. But then there's also the fact that Mac users were unable to buy Sims 4 before 2015, so there's some sales from those as well.
    We can only speculate, but for sales figures, 2 million is too low. (Again, not talking active players here).

    We actually don't even know that. According to those same charts, Sims 3 was number 2, and I don't believe that. The problem is this: Steam, Origin, and Apple don't release their sales data, so those charts are all guesses. One thing I haven't heard coming from EA is that Sims 4 was a top seller for them. They didn't hesitate talking about how DAI was Bioware's best selling launch.

    Edit: It wouldn't surprise me if Sims 4 was at the top of physical sales and that Sims 3 was up there as well -- they very well could have been stocking stuffers. But digital sales? Diablo 3's DLC sold close to 3 million copies in 2014 according to Blizzard, and absolutely NO ONE is claiming that Sims 3 or 4 sold 3 million copies in 2014.

    The charts are guesstimates.

    Another edit: When I check, I normally see between 15k and 25k people playing Sims 4. Usually fewer than people who are currently playing Skyrim on the PC via Steam.
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    edited September 2015
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Well, we do know that Sims 4 topped the pc game sales of 2014. We also know Sims 4 sold more than Warlords of Draenor, which sold over 3.3 million copies upon release during it's first 24 hours. So there are some facts at least. I'd guess the actual number is a little bit higher for Sims 4.
    But we also know Sims 4 caused controversy, so whether over 3.3 million people play it today I can't say. But then there's also the fact that Mac users were unable to buy Sims 4 before 2015, so there's some sales from those as well.
    We can only speculate, but for sales figures, 2 million is too low. (Again, not talking active players here).

    the accurace of that chart is not 100% valid specially when the sims 3 was second place this means which the sims 3 sold more than 3.3 million in 2014???

    if you account the multiplataform games then sims 4 don't ge even between top 20.

    them probably sims 3 could be already in the house of 20 million units sales lol.

    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • AstroAstro Posts: 6,122 Member
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Well, we do know that Sims 4 topped the pc game sales of 2014. We also know Sims 4 sold more than Warlords of Draenor, which sold over 3.3 million copies upon release during it's first 24 hours. So there are some facts at least. I'd guess the actual number is a little bit higher for Sims 4.
    But we also know Sims 4 caused controversy, so whether over 3.3 million people play it today I can't say. But then there's also the fact that Mac users were unable to buy Sims 4 before 2015, so there's some sales from those as well.
    We can only speculate, but for sales figures, 2 million is too low. (Again, not talking active players here).
    Links?

  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,177 Member
    Astro wrote: »
    Slawfish wrote: »
    Well, we do know that Sims 4 topped the pc game sales of 2014. We also know Sims 4 sold more than Warlords of Draenor, which sold over 3.3 million copies upon release during it's first 24 hours. So there are some facts at least. I'd guess the actual number is a little bit higher for Sims 4.
    But we also know Sims 4 caused controversy, so whether over 3.3 million people play it today I can't say. But then there's also the fact that Mac users were unable to buy Sims 4 before 2015, so there's some sales from those as well.
    We can only speculate, but for sales figures, 2 million is too low. (Again, not talking active players here).
    Links?

    He's going to link an NPD infographic. I pointed out the problems with that in a previous post.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 5,412 Member
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    Just a memo - Sim City 2013 sold 2 million copies out of the gate - even among the uproar - where is Sims City 2013 now?.

    Also numbers we do have on the Sims also include the number of the ep and not just the base game - so that practically halves the number of base games sold - meaning the number of players willing to spend money on the game.

    Last I know a fair number of simmers bought the base game that were upset to start with having no toddlers to 1- to see if the game could still be enjoyable or two to have the basegame when the DEVs fulfilled on their top priority to give the players the toddlers and other missing thing - but when the devs did not do as promised - then these players are not still buying the game.

    So if anything the numbers available are 1- skewered and 2- I understand is only the numbers that were sold on disk. So actually knowing how well or how badly the Sims 4 has done thus for is really and truly an unknown as long as EA does not tell us - we can only speculate.

    Also keep in mind - many of us who are unhappy with Sims 4 - could be made happy with the game if we could feel Maxis acted upon their promises to finish the base game to a point we could enjoy our play style. I do not see how it is possible for The Sims 4 to fully reach it's potential as long as the game and the studio can justify alienating at least half the fans. When fans claim they have played this game 14 years and can still love it as flawed as Sims 3 was - it makes new possible players look twice at a game that can hold onto to their player base so long. A far better way to entice in new players than alienating a now nearly 16 year fan base into no longer able to enjoy the game they so loved because Maxis found them unimportant enough to include their play style. What do potential new players say when they see post after post of unsatisfied long time fans all over the internet - not just here? They would be fools to invest in a game that hardcore fans can not even love - and many people will do just that -look elsewhere.

    Truthfully when Maxis makes a game everyone can enjoy it can only result in a win-win and bring in more new blood into the mix - and that is a fact of marketing 101.

    You post some of the most un-sourced facts I swear.

    The 2 million PHYSICAL units do not include EP data. Also SimCity sold 2 million physical and digital.
    ALSO SimCity got more content than any other SimCity game. All SimCity games only get one Expansion. EA did not drop the game, it ended it's natural cycle.

    What sources do you have to back up your claims?

    It will take me awhile to dig up my source, but I do remember a former Maxis employee talking about SimCity 4's development being cannibalized by The Sims 2, which was a major project for Maxis at the time. SimCity 4 ceased production when The Sims turned out to be the bigger seller of the two.

    Let's skip ahead to March 2013 when SimCity was released, it was supposed to be a major player for the Maxis brand; a brand that for 5+ years was nonexistent. Maxis was dropped from The Sims 2 games, and it became The Sims Studio. The Sims Studio, under the EA Play label, was the studio that developed and released The Sims 3 + all content until University. It wasn't until SimCity was announced that Maxis (as a brand) reemerged. Even then, it was all about SimCity and their new focus on always online gaming.

    The truth behind SimCity 2013, is that it was a commercial failure. The community was clear with what they wanted, and Maxis (more specifically Lucy Bradshaw) responded saying offline play was not possible. Well needless to say the entire studio was caught in a lie when the game was hacked and played offline for nearly 30 minutes. Something Maxis assured players was impossible. Maxis, as a last ditch effort, designed an offline mode, but released a statement saying larger maps were not gonna happen. When a company admits it can't deliver, that's when people stop buying. So no, SimCity wasn't the result of a typical development cycle. It's what happens when a developer doesn't listen to their customers; The Sims 4 is developed by the same studio, and unsurprisingly enough the developers are not delivering.
Sign In or Register to comment.
Return to top