May 23rd - It's time for a new Laundry List! You can read more on what's coming next here!
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To be culled or not?

Just to clarify, sims will only get culled if they are homeless? Just random townie sims?

I usually only play the sims I create myself but they have become friends with other premade sims, like the Goth family (who I have not played yet)

So are those families (premade sims, living in a house, never been played before) in danger of getting culled?

I dont really care about the ghost so I dont mind if they are culled.

Comments

• Options
    DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,686 Member
    Sims in houses are not in danger, however, there are a couple of simmers who have had their sims in houses get culled too but it's a very rare case. So I'd say you're 95% safe. :P I have sims I created in houses too and they're still there even though I've added a lot of the recent stuff packs and game pack, thus generating more townies and culling the older ones.
    My Top Song of the Day: Empty by The Click Five
    x3vZicL.gif
  • Options
    Anemone7Anemone7 Posts: 3,950 Member
    To be clear, it seems to be a bug when townies living in houses get culled, because it's not how it's intended to work.
  • Options
    luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,630 Member
    edited September 2015
    marcellala wrote: »
    To be clear, it seems to be a bug when townies living in houses get culled, because it's not how it's intended to work.

It's a twice-reported recent bug, but neither person reporting provided files to help confirm what was happening. Other than those reports, it's not been reported since about a year ago. (It was a bug at launch, fixed very early.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    edited September 2015
    OP I had townies deleted that were living in houses. I also had ghosts deleted from a playable house. They were deleted when I switched to a different house, when I came back to that house all the 4 ghosts were deleted and all show white empty squares in family tree. These 4 ghosts were my first ghosts in the game. The experience was awful.

EA can brag all it wants that they added family tree and ghosts but in reality these two features are not there in the game. I reject to call that broken thing a family tree and those colored fast disappearing sims from the game as ghosts.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • Options
    BilmonaghanBilmonaghan Posts: 1,552 Member
    Housed sims that aren't in the household currently being played if there are over 180 Sims (living and dead) in the Saved Game and the game can't get the population below 180 be deleting all the living Not-In-World Sims.
    Le Dynastie d’Angers: 83 – WWAD?
    Annette Thayer butts heads with the late Eric Lewis on her first day as steward.
    ldd083banner.png
  • Options
    PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    My townies disappear all the time. I no longer try to start any kind of relationship at work or on community lots. As far as ghosts...I was playing one household in a new game. I built a family plot on the lot. I didn't play any other households and when I opened my game I went right to the household I was playing...no rotational play at all and all of the ghosts were deleted from my active household.

So culled townies prevent me from having friendships or romances and I've always liked playing Sims from the game. Culled ghosts prevent me from having a haunted house or an active cemetery.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ImSandsImSands Posts: 333 Member
    My entire townie population was just culled for the second time within a few days. I don't dare play until the issue is fixed. Its super frustrating.
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member
    Like people said, the culling isn't suppose to affect played households or people living in houses. But you might end up with a nasty surprise one day, unless you have a mod. I have tried it once, was not fun.
  • Options
    ImSands wrote: »
    My entire townie population was just culled for the second time within a few days. I don't dare play until the issue is fixed. Its super frustrating.

If you don't want to wait for a fix to play, consider using the MC Command Center mod; it has an option to prevent townie culling.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Options

If you don't want to wait for a fix to play, consider using the MC Command Center mod; it has an option to prevent townie culling.

Or just wait for the fix. As long as it's broken I have no need to buy any new content. It's the principle. The game is broken and it needs fixing.

"People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • Options
    ZafireriaZafireria Posts: 3,640 Member

Or just wait for the fix. As long as it's broken I have no need to buy any new content. It's the principle. The game is broken and it needs fixing.
    Not enough people are complaining about this issue, so I think you might have to wait a long time before it will be fixed.
  • Options
    Writin_RegWritin_Reg Posts: 28,907 Member
    edited September 2015
    Housed sims that aren't in the household currently being played if there are over 180 Sims (living and dead) in the Saved Game and the game can't get the population below 180 be deleting all the living Not-In-World Sims.

I had a brand new game - no house had been played period. I was in empty New Crest where I put in 5 community lots. I built 6 houses one with 8 roommates - I got them all base game jobs. 1 with 4 sims - I set them up with jobs they could do at home for a start - as I planned to come back to these 4 and try the retail as I figured it would take 4 to run a Fashionstore to start with. The other 4 houses the first I added an artist that also did woodwork. She had very little furniture as I planned for her to make all her furniture eventually and make a living painting. She had the bare necessities. Then I added a Sims to the next starter house and here I actually started playing - set her up as a scientist and worked that career for 2 Sims weeks. She had moved up in the career 4 times. Went to the next house moved in a very athletic/genius sim to be a detective and had him become good friends with the Scientist. He worked his job 2 Sims weeks and recieved 4 promotions. Went to house number 6, moved in another male. As he was for the doctor career I felt I should get his mechanic, athletic, social and knowledge skills up before I sent him to start his career as those were the skills in previous sims games that helped the most climbing the medical ladder - so I just gave him the bare necessities so he had money to live on (I don't use cheats), and went about skilling at the community lots and making good friends with the detective and the Scientist who lived on either side of him. In fact he was attracted to the Scientist and they even had love interests so I had made up my mind - she'd eventually become his wife - but for the time being they were bf/gf and he was best friends with the detective as well as good friends with the artist at the end of the road. I played for about 8 sims days and then was ready to start the doctors career as he had gained 3 to 4 skills in each of the things I wanted him to. I stopped playing for the night, figuring the next day I would come in and take him right to that career but unfortunately i got waylaid by the fact when I started up the game i saw his socials were poor - so I wanted to get them up before he embarked to get his job - that is when I discovered not one of his 3 very much played friends were all not in their houses. I went back to the main menu and sure enough they were not just out somewhere their houses now had a whie plumbob and it says the house was ready to be moved into at all 3 houses. I checked the household management and the game showed 90 something sims in the game all the Maxis sims in their houses in the other worlds, my houseshold of 8 and the one of 4 sims also in their houses - which totalled 52 sims not counting my present sim in houses - the maxis sims as all unplayed, my houses as seen played and it showed about 40 sims not in the world and unplayed. My other 3 sims not even shown anywhere as if they never existed in the game period. It was my one and only save - so no where else could they be. This was a brand new install of Sims 4 on this brand new built for me pc. Yet the game had culled my played sims in houses that were all single sims for no good reason what so ever. As the entire total sims played and played period was 92 - far below the 180. There was no one died - I had all aging off. I complained indepth about this over on the feedback and I believe it was the bug threads as well when it happened - as I was spitting mad. For me that is about as mad as I can get as far as a game goes. I was very careful to do everything right so I did not get any sims culled on my brand new pc in the brandnew game. It was right after the patch I started this game. Not the new patch, an earlier one. I totally removed the sims 4 folder and tried to repair game, but it did not need repair. So I have no clue why this happened I just know it did. I have no CC, no mods, and do not use cheats either. My new computer is a super computer with an Asus Z mobo, and an 8 core processor with 16 gigs high speed gaming ram, Corsair SSD drive and 650 watt power supply. I have both a Asus special edition OC 750ti Nvidia Card as well as a 980 ti video card - but was running the 980 ti at the time. It's not my pc I assure you.

I know prior to that on my former pc I had played the game and never once experienced "living" sims I had played culled, but had ghost sims get culled. That also made me mad, but not like this time as I made sure I did everything right. Needless to say I have not played Sims 4 since.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!
    In REALITY, I simply exist.....

• Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,814 Member

The mod is free.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    Zafireria wrote: »

Not enough people are complaining about this issue, so I think you might have to wait a long time before it will be fixed.

You'd be amazed how many people are. I see several posts about it every day. I imagine a lot of them stopped posting because they were basically told to quit whining and use a mod. After several months of denying there was a problem the devs have now admitted it needs to be fixed.

• Options
    Zafireria wrote: »

We've been told they're working on it now.
  • Options
    Yeah a month ago Daniel mentioned over in twitter they were looking into it... then I think they said the same thing about toddlers how long ago? I do not advise anyone to hold their breath waiting.

That;s okay I went back to Sims 2 and Sims 3 where I don't have to worry about either issue. Hopefully they do fix Sims 4 - it would be nice - and make the game acceptable for all play styles and not just a select group.

But at least you guys are trying to help people - so thank you for trying to help.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options

The mod is free.

It doesn't matter if a mod is free or not.

As I said it's the principle. In good faith I purchased a game and that game is broken. It's up to the people who made it to make it right. If they want me to give them more money for any additional content they need to fix it. In it's present state the game is far from being addictive to me so I'm not in any hurry to play.

As far as I'm concerned it's pawning off substandard merchandise.....and I know a lot of people feel the same. I never had anything like this happen in 2 or 3. If I had I would never have gone on to purchase the next one.

• Options

The mod is free.

As I said it's the principle. In good faith I purchased a game and that game is broken. It's up to the people who made it to make it right. If they want me to give them more money for any additional content they need to fix it. In it's present state the game is far from being addictive to me so I'm not in any hurry to play.

As far as I'm concerned it's pawning off substandard merchandise.....and I know a lot of people feel the same. I never had anything like this happen in 2 or 3. If I had I would never have gone on to purchase the next one.

EXACTLY THIS!

In dreams - I LIVE!

• Options
    leo3487leo3487 Posts: 4,067 Member

The mod is free.

As I said it's the principle. In good faith I purchased a game and that game is broken. It's up to the people who made it to make it right. If they want me to give them more money for any additional content they need to fix it.

I must disagree. Use mod also is a solution. What makes mods? Change some rules and gameplay.

Also... What if now the game is not intended for large genealogy or huge town? Then is not a bug the 180 limit and mods work as intended, change rules
  • Options
    leo3487 wrote: »

The mod is free.

As I said it's the principle. In good faith I purchased a game and that game is broken. It's up to the people who made it to make it right. If they want me to give them more money for any additional content they need to fix it.

I must disagree. Use mod also is a solution. What makes mods? Change some rules and gameplay.

Also... What if now the game is not intended for large genealogy or huge town? Then is not a bug the 180 limit and mods work as intended, change rules

You do know the team has said it's a problem don't you? They changed from saying the game is working as intended to saying it's a problem that needs to be fixed.

You're welcome to use a mod if you like I don't fix broken games with them. I used mods in TS3 to add game play that wasn't in the game. I never had to use one to "fix" the game.

The last time I played I had started a new game and played for a few hours. There was no time to over populate my neighborhood and the culling started. I saw there is no hard and fast 180 limit.

I have a standard as to what I expect when I purchase anything. Other people have different standards and no one is right or wrong. I choose to not "fix" a broken game through an outside source.

• Options
    halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    leo3487 wrote: »

The mod is free.

You do know the team has said it's a problem don't you? They changed from saying the game is working as intended to saying it's a problem that needs to be fixed.

You're welcome to use a mod if you like I don't fix broken games with them. I used mods in TS3 to add game play that wasn't in the game. I never had to use one to "fix" the game.

The last time I played I had started a new game and played for a few hours. There was no time to over populate my neighborhood and the culling started. I saw there is no hard and fast 180 limit.

I have a standard as to what I expect when I purchase anything. Other people have different standards and no one is right or wrong. I choose to not "fix" a broken game through an outside source.

Yes mod should be to enhance the game by adding more contents and features not fix a broken thing. Fixing is the duty of developers.

I still say this game is broken and unplayable with its current state.
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif