Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Spooky Stuff vs Culling

jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
What would you rather have had the sims team spend their time doing? (If you could only pick one or the other) Spooky Stuff? Or fix the culling? My point being that maybe if they spent that time fixing the culling instead of spooky stuff, maybe we WOULD have gotten fixed culling in the latest patch....

EDIT: I'm my own grammar critic.

Comments

• king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    Well said :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,628 Member
    Pretty sure there's enough staff to do both, and that a lot of the work on culling doesn't involve, say, animation, or object design. There's no either-or here.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • halimali1980halimali1980 Posts: 8,246 Member
    Well said OP
    A single modder has turned the culling off and released it in one day but a whole team of developers are taking their honeymoon to release a fix! The question is why? Does it break the game if they do it? Does it have severe implications over the long run?

Who knows maybe the developers are planning to release a NO culling game pack or expansion pack! Why miss the opportunity when they can make money out of it!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
  • jaxie086jaxie086 Posts: 1,920 Member
    Pretty sure there's enough staff to do both, and that a lot of the work on culling doesn't involve, say, animation, or object design. There's no either-or here.

So they need a whole year to fix culling? Didn't they throw this whole entire game together in a year and a half (or something like that) after Olympus was scrapped?
  • BaenreBaenre Posts: 595 Member
    The Sim of my current household lost her grandmother to the Great Cull recently. I'm very sad by this. I'm pretending there's a conspiracy of a secret agency that's stealing neighbors and family, and using them in some break away civilization experiment, never to be seen from again.

I don't know what departments there are for the Sims games and who does what honestly, I just would like for the team who's focus is to fix bugs, to really sit down and fix this culling. I don't really play anymore because for me there's no point when the family members that don't live in the same house end up vanishing. So I just build in my spare time.
    edited September 2015
    jaxie086 wrote: »

So they need a whole year to fix culling? Didn't they throw this whole entire game together in a year and a half (or something like that) after Olympus was scrapped?

They didn't acknowledge that it needed fixing till late spring, so forget the whole year part (yes, they should have known it was an issue before they did, but this is about time from start to finish of correcting the issue).

My suspicion is that they're working on a much more complex solution to culling than the modding options offer - one that allows for the game to still meet minimum specs while preserving at the very least genealogy. Right now, the coding for genealogy is deeply tied to the living-Sims coding. So to preserve genealogy without preserving entire Sim files, they would need to recode so that there's a new way to save that info. At the same time, they need to preserve the living-Sim info long enough that a Sim could revive another Sim from the dead (because that's a base game thing). Then there are decisions to be made about how much relationship a Sim should have with a non-housed Sim before that Sim is protected from culling. In fact, there would be a lot of decisions to make: How much choice to code? How to handle options for expansion of overall population numbers? How much of this to make available for modding? All sorts of options would have to be played out on paper and examined from a game-design perspective before coding even begins. That coding then needs to be tested, including to find out what it does at the minimum-specs level and seeing just how badly loading screen times get affected.

Modding a blunt fix is easy. Working a fix into game design while meeting minimum specs and desired standards for loading is not. I'd bet on a fix alongside the next EP release, which adds a significant number of lots to the game.
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
  • Simfan923Simfan923 Posts: 5,551 Member
    edited September 2015
    Question why does it have to be the latest patch? Why not the patch we got earlier. Can't really blame Spooky Stuff for the reason we don't have a cull "fix". Is culling even a bug or is just a feature. I'm still getting mixed responses on this
    1FKDfKj.png
  • Ceres_MeirionaCeres_Meiriona Posts: 5,006 Member
    They should have fixed it as soon as it was known, that's a really big bug. However, I don't think this is an EITHER OR type of situation. Personally, I do not want them to stop producing content every time there is a bug, then we would never see any new content. Sandbox games run into glitches and bugs, anyone that enjoys a good Fallout game or Elder Scrolls adventure knows what I'm talking about. Everything has a consequence, and unfortunately the consequence in awesome simulation games that allow us the choices The Sims series does, are irritating and frustrating bugs.

I do wish they would fix known issues faster, and I do agree that this is a major issue that they should be more concerned about. But if you were to force me to make a choice, I would choose content simply because I have learned how to work around the bugs. IMO you should never have to choose between either, and to broach that as a possibility is erroneous.
    tumblr_oesik08PQO1vorh5do6_1280.jpg
    edited September 2015
    jaxie086 wrote: »

They didn't acknowledge that it needed fixing till late spring, so forget the whole year part (yes, they should have known it was an issue before they did, but this is about time from start to finish of correcting the issue).

True they needed around a year to just acknowledge it
    another year to think what they want to do about it
    then Another year to try fixing it
    then one more year to release it. So around 2018/2019 they might release something

Why should we even make them hurry? We have no right at all. The game was given free to all of us. This is a charity so we should wait and be grateful to them whenever they feel OK releasing it!
    Everything I post is an opinion here and I think every post of others is as well.
    giphy.gif
    Simfan923 wrote: »
    Question why does it have to be the latest patch? Why not the patch we got earlier. Can't really blame Spooky Stuff for the reason we don't have a cull "fix". Is culling even a bug or is just a feature. I'm still getting mixed responses on this

It is a game mechanic
    to EA it is one of sims features.

Culling is not even a bug for them to try and detect. It is a game mechanic that they have made. They need to tweek it, but I feel there is more to it that the developers are not saying anything about it. It is very suspicious. They are hiding something.
    giphy.gif
    They should have fixed it as soon as it was known, that's a really big bug. However, I don't think this is an EITHER OR type of situation. Personally, I do not want them to stop producing content every time there is a bug, then we would never see any new content. Sandbox games run into glitches and bugs, anyone that enjoys a good Fallout game or Elder Scrolls adventure knows what I'm talking about. Everything has a consequence, and unfortunately the consequence in awesome simulation games that allow us the choices The Sims series does, are irritating and frustrating bugs.

I do wish they would fix known issues faster, and I do agree that this is a major issue that they should be more concerned about. But if you were to force me to make a choice, I would choose content simply because I have learned how to work around the bugs. IMO you should never have to choose between either, and to broach that as a possibility is erroneous.

Except culling is not a bug. It is a game mechanic the developers have made.
    giphy.gif
    @halimali1980 A mechanic that is not working as intended, since I can hardly believe that they intended for us to have completely empty genealogy trees with nothing but blue squares looking back at us. Nor do they acknowledge that something does need to be adjusted... if it's working as intended. They have acknowledged that this needs adjusted, thus, if it's not working as intended, it's bugged imo.

If you're saying that it's just sloppy programming that left them with results they didn't anticipate or quite expect (Oh gosh, lets give them a genealogy tree b/c they keep asking for it... oh shoot, the culling system we use eats it almost immediately... woops! Didn't see that coming!) then I can see why you would want to split hairs and say it's not a bug.

From my perspective, however, they have acknowledged that it is an issue, needs to be fixed/adjusted/lit on fire (whatever terminology you want to use) and seem to have plans to remedy the situation. So from my perspective, it then falls into the maintenance/bug category of things.

In the end it seems really silly to split hairs over something that everyone (including the dev team) agrees needs to be adjusted/fixed/remedied.

• DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    I imagine that those are different departments, so, I believe culling is being looked at and a fix will come when they have figured one out. As for stuff packs, I wouldn't want them to stop releasing stuff to enhance my game. Apples and oranges, IMO.
  • SilentKittySilentKitty Posts: 4,665 Member
    I doubt that it is the animators who did reactions for trick or treat or the art departement designing costumes who are coding and testing culling.

Well, they work at the same place, talk to each other and discuss work but I think it would be silly to expect every single one to stop working on all their projects simply because one other group at your job is busy. Like the patch today, we got claim bed, new trait and a lot of things that people have asked for.
  • Renamed2002180839Renamed2002180839 Posts: 3,444 Member
    This is an old argument now, that somebody raises every time anything, free patch or paid pack, is released. There are different disciplines within the programming community and not everybody is qualified, experienced at the same aspect of the field as everybody else. It has been stated, NUMEROUS TIMES, that the issue is serious and being worked on.
    edited September 2015
    @halimali1980 A mechanic that is not working as intended, since I can hardly believe that they intended for us to have completely empty genealogy trees with nothing but blue squares looking back at us. Nor do they acknowledge that something does need to be adjusted... if it's working as intended. They have acknowledged that this needs adjusted, thus, if it's not working as intended, it's bugged imo.

If you're saying that it's just sloppy programming that left them with results they didn't anticipate or quite expect (Oh gosh, lets give them a genealogy tree b/c they keep asking for it... oh shoot, the culling system we use eats it almost immediately... woops! Didn't see that coming!) then I can see why you would want to split hairs and say it's not a bug.

From my perspective, however, they have acknowledged that it is an issue, needs to be fixed/adjusted/lit on fire (whatever terminology you want to use) and seem to have plans to remedy the situation. So from my perspective, it then falls into the maintenance/bug category of things.

In the end it seems really silly to split hairs over something that everyone (including the dev team) agrees needs to be adjusted/fixed/remedied.

Thats true, they acknowledged it after a year that it is an issue. But are they actively working on it? we dont know, Will they stop it? we dont know.

All I know is that whoever made this culling mechanic in the game is not eligible to work on sims games and he should not because he/she has no idea of sims players mentality. We dont play this game for generations to have our sim families disappear. If he thought it was OK he was wrong. It is NOT OK to delete our sims, not even the townies.
    giphy.gif
  • Prink34320Prink34320 Posts: 5,078 Member
    I'd rather have them taking their time with culling whilst still releasing new content, when a Culling Modification comes, I don't want it to be rushed and not as good as it can be all due to people rushing the devs, I want it to be the optimum modification for Culling, although that's just me.
    Live your life to the fullest, don't wait for a miracle to happen, be the miracle to make things happen.
    Sometimes your creativity is limited where you use it most, but you can use those limitations to inspire new forms of creativity you may never have thought of beforehand.
  • ApoloApolo Posts: 58 Member
    70 euros sims digital deluxe+40 euros get to work expansion+20 euros outdoor rretreat+20 euros spa day+10 euros cool kitchen+10 euros luxury party+10 euros perfect patio=170 euros

NIce! i will have a pretty pumpkin in the next stuff pack, but can´t play the (expensive) game as it should be and i want, because the culling bug, for example...

Thats true, they acknowledged it after a year that it is an issue. But are they actively working on it? we dont know, Will they stop it? we dont know.

All I know is that whoever made this culling mechanic in the game is not eligible to work on sims games and he should not because he/she has no idea of sims players mentality. We dont play this game for generations to have our sim families disappear. If he thought it was OK he was wrong. It is NOT OK to delete our sims, not even the townies.

Of course it's not ok to delete our sim's histories. I've never seen a simmer imply that it was. None of us approve of it, and we all desire a fix for it. Some of us just recognize that the fight for that is with EA and consistently placing constructive pressure on them via feedback to obtain a fix and NOT with each other... fellow fans of the genre who are suffering the same abuse but refusing to allow it rule their emotions.

• catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    The patch team and stuff pack team are different.

You mean they are working on different planets? There is no cooperation between them?
    No wonder the pumpkins on the ghosts head when there are no ghosts in my world. They are all CULLED!
    giphy.gif

You mean they are working on different planets? There is no cooperation between them?
    No wonder the pumpkins on the ghosts head when there are no ghosts in my world. They are all CULLED!

The pumpkin-on-heads thing is something your played ghosts can do.