Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Hates Children Trait + "Try for Baby" - Wish Granted in June 2016 Patch

MegglesMeggles Posts: 4,109 Member
I have a couple in my game where the woman has the hates children trait. When she takes a pregnancy test following "try for baby" she is sad when she learns she is not pregnant.

I understand that, because there is no accidental pregnancy, the argument could be made that she is choosing to try for baby and therefore would be sad to not be pregnant.

However, she is tense throughout her ENTIRE pregnancy. I feel that she should be happy to not be pregnant since she is tense when she finds out that she is. It's only fair to her, right? ;)

(ETA: I bolded moodlets so we understand that we're talking about a game and not real life, lol)
Gifs are broken but click here for my blog with all my stories :)
House: Hufflepuff | Wand: Ebony wood w/a unicorn hair core, 9 ¾"
Origin ID: meggles87 | twitter | simblr
Post edited by Meggles on

Comments

• Options
    kimjo313kimjo313 Posts: 3,865 Member
    This issue of traits not effecting reactions is apparent in many situations. This is due to the shortcuts taken and the fact that the reactions are coded one way and traits do not effect the reactions.

kim :/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    @kimjo313 I could see that it might be a shortcut but also a feature as to be fair to different sensitivities. Hence feedback section. :) Hoping someone sees and considers.
  • Options
    Alysha1988Alysha1988 Posts: 3,452 Member
    Yeah, it would be nice if they had thought a little bit more into this so that every single sim regardless of traits doesn't react the same exact way to any given situation. A sim with the dislikes children trait SHOULD be happy to find out she isn't pregnant.
  • Options
    Meggles wrote: »
    @kimjo313 I could see that it might be a shortcut but also a feature as to be fair to different sensitivities. Hence feedback section. :) Hoping someone sees and considers.

@Meggles
    I am not sure what you mean by fair to different sensibilities? I was talking about EA/ the creators. The shortcuts I was referring to was the way that EA coded the reactions. They are not based on the traits of the sims. It is why reactions to events are the same no matter the traits. There was a post eons ago where a player crated situations like death, anger and so on to see what the reactions of the sims were. The reactions, if there was one, were so alike and so not related to the sims traits it was obvious the trait system has nothing to do with sim reactions.
    Hoping someone sees and considers.
    There have been a number of posts by numerous different simmers in the feedback section referring to this issue going back to release, so I doubt this issue will be addressed. Never hurts to try, but I dont think there will be much of a response from EA as they have not even admitted there is an issue.

Sorry

kim :/
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    edited September 2015
    kimjo313 wrote: »
    I am not sure what you mean by fair to different sensibilities?
    @kimjo313 Never mind, I worded what I meant strangely and now what I was thinking doesn't make as much sense as I previously thought.

I was talking about EA/ the creators. The shortcuts I was referring to was the way that EA coded the reactions. They are not based on the traits of the sims. It is why reactions to events are the same no matter the traits. There was a post eons ago where a player crated situations like death, anger and so on to see what the reactions of the sims were. The reactions, if there was one, were so alike and so not related to the sims traits it was obvious the trait system has nothing to do with sim reactions.
    I understood what you were referring to and I know the post you're talking about. However, in this case I'm talking about moodlets, not outward reactions to other sims regarding death, anger, etc.

Try for baby = tense
    Pregnancy test - positive (therefore getting the pregnant moodlet) = tense
    Pregnancy test - negative = SAD

I wish that they would have the happy moodlet for a negative pregnancy test. It would fit with their character.

As there is no accidental pregnancy in the vanilla game it does make a little sense that a sim that tries for a baby would be sad because they chose to try for baby and "failed". BUT I wish they had a different response to finding out they weren't pregnant. Just in this one case. (I found this out because I have the risky woohoo mod. The poor lady was tense after every woohoo, lol!)

(Edited to bold above)
  • Options
    Pregnancy test - negative = SAD

Gotcha. It really is sad the number of missed opportunities for awesome sims in TS4.

Kim
    Abraham Lincoln

• Options
    EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    looks like EA really don't like NEGATIVE traits, like hate-childs, like means, like evil or even hot-headed, of all traits that are for sure the worst and more weaks, almost meanless, they only means is to produce specific traits whims like make enemies get anger, because AI wise they are nearlly pointless, hot-headed only serves to give a random +1 anger when come to personality the sim is not different from others sims, evil or means traits only work to make sims smash doll houses cuz is the only "evil act" they like to do, basically they still very good persons.

sims 4 trait system is very messed and too much weak compared with emotions, this game was overbuilded under emotions and everything is under then.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @Ellessarr This is off topic from my OP but I do find it interesting! :)

I played through ten generations in my legacy (and other) saves over the past year and I have found the negative traits to be inconvenient when I'm trying to keep a happy household:
    • My mean sims really messed up their relationships because they were always yelling at their family members.
    • Hot headed made my sims randomly angry, yes, but they were more likely to lash out at others in the household while they were angry.
    • Sims with the hates children trait become angry when neighborhood kids visit and the mother (in this case) refuses to perform actions I want (and sometimes lashes out at those around her).
    I'll give you evil, though. I had a good and evil couple in my legacy and managed to protect the good sim from being yelled at all the time. HOWEVER, it took a lot of micromanaging and cancelling actions. The maniacal laugh was pretty funny, though.

I have a fantastic mod suggestion, though! (I almost forgot I had it so maybe that's why I've had such a positive experience with negative traits, haha!) You've probably heard of it or have it already but DrChillgood's Less/No Good/Bad Surroundings Buffs must be the cause for my good fortune (even though I do know of several vanilla legacy simmers that think the negative traits actually do work in a negative way, lol).

So, I fully endorse that mod because it is a great blessing to enhance my game play!

(Edited because this is the first time I've ever gotten the post needs approval message!)
  • Options
    edited September 2015
    @Ellessarr This is off topic from my OP but I do find it interesting! :)

I played through ten generations in my legacy (and other) saves over the past year and I have found the negative traits to be inconvenient when I'm trying to keep a happy household:
    • My mean sims really messed up their relationships because they were always yelling at their family members.
    • Hot headed made my sims randomly angry, yes, but they were more likely to lash out at others in the household while they were angry.
    • Sims with the hates children trait become angry when neighborhood kids visit and the mother (in this case) refuses to perform actions I want (and sometimes lashes out at those around her).
    I'll give you evil, though. I had a good and evil couple in my legacy and managed to protect the good sim from being yelled at all the time. HOWEVER, it took a lot of micromanaging and cancelling actions. The maniacal laugh was pretty funny, though.

I have a fantastic mod suggestion, though! (I almost forgot I had it so maybe that's why I've had such a positive experience with negative traits, haha!) You've probably heard of it or have it already but DrChillgood's Less/No Good/Bad Surroundings Buffs must be the cause for my good fortune (even though I do know of several vanilla legacy simmers that think the negative traits actually do work in a negative way, lol).

So, I fully endorse that mod because it is a great blessing to enhance my game play!

(Edited because this is the first time I've ever gotten the post needs approval message!)

i already aware of that, i not playing anymore sims 4 for that reasons, most of the traits are terrible, my means only yells one or 2 times then just start to talk normally and in the end the relationship increase more than drop.

all dependes of combos, evil x good produce a little better effect since they get a evil x good moodlet but that mood based on sim emotions is very weak, try a evil sims with a not good sim any other combination then you see then being more nice.

the hotheaded only work when get the random +1 anger while he is not anger he is not different from others, my means sims like i told while sometimes they random yells to others they prefer more rise relationship than make decay.

one thing which i hate in sims is which you can be means or insult a sim a lot, but as long the red bar is not too big you can like insult then in next step do a good speech and the sim will like it, or you insult him a lot make him anger, then after that with on excuse and 2 words he already forget all the insults and become calm.

i'm speaking about autonomous most of the times, my autonomous aways annoyied me how poor coded is the AI which too much focus on sims emotions and less in traits, like even lazy sims can rise fast athletic skills, if you have a machine at home and as the skill increase they desire to practice increase the only difference between a lazy, a neutral and a active sim is the speed of the skill gain the lazy is the most slow but the desires can be almost the same at high levels.

i was trying to say how bad is made some aspects of the game or miss some aspects like what you described, a hate child sim sad because she don't get preg that is the lack of details specially toward the autonomoous.
  • Options
    @Ellessarr I've experienced the lazy trait problem, too. I also understand what you're saying. However, this thread's purpose is not to point out all the other problems in the game but to instead suggest an adjustment for just one of them.
  • Options
    @Ellessarr I've experienced the lazy trait problem, too. I also understand what you're saying. However, this thread's purpose is not to point out all the other problems in the game but to instead suggest an adjustment for just one of them.

the fix for one is almost the fix for all, they need to redo the trait and add what is missing(missing moddlet) in the AI as the proper reactions and based on the trait what is to be "blocked or allowed to a sim to do.
  • Options
    Wish granted! Patch Notes!
    Sims with the “Hates Children” trait now get a happy buff when they fail a pregnancy test…
    … or is that succeed a pregnancy test? I mean if they don’t like children and they are shown to not be pregnant, that is a success… right?
  • Options
    AmazingamphyAmazingamphy Posts: 1,733 Member
    @Meggles
    From my experience with the Mean and Hates Children trait, I think you were pretty much spot on.
    Poor Victoria McSheep, my legacy heir, got the Mean trait... :persevere: I did make her good friends with her parents very early on, though, and I feel like that's really affected her. She sometimes tries to Yell At her parents and constantly gets Whims about being mean. Mean Sims who my founder hasn't met, though, don't seem quite as subdued.

As for Hates Children, Vicky luckily didn't get that. However, Alexander Goth, who I had planned to have be the next father (and he might still be, since her current boyfriend is Gloomy and Lazy), got it before she aged up. So, the next time I called him over, things got really awkward, really quick. Bleh.
    HmypxT0.png
    Gone from this place and never coming back. P5 is good
  • Options
    SweetieTreatsSweetieTreats Posts: 2,668 Member
    Finally this was fixed.