Since I realized that having enough lot space for both your residencies/community lots, is bit of a problem in Sims 4, since Maxis/Sim studio (whoever has it now) went with a closed game (aka no open world) So space is an issues, and tho Maxis is trying to help it with releasing new neighborhoods, I might have found a solution, Apartments.
Now the Apartments will work almost the same way as they did in Sims 2 so if you played it, you'll know that you placed an Apartment lot with example 3 houses, had your family choose the house you wanted and then the game would spawn NPC to occupy the houses you did not pick, in order to create neighbors. Now, here's where the difference is, in Sims 4 the game might create neighbors OR you can move another family in on the same lot.
So you have family Amber who moves into an Apartment lot, they choose room/house A-1, then you move in another family (different household) to the same Apartment lot (lets call them Pleasant) but you pick room/house A-2 instead (since A-1 is taken). Now you have two household living on the same lot, but different room/house, and when you click the lot, you will get a choice which family you wish to play, so if you pick Amber, you won't be able to control Pleasant unless you switch household.
The Apartment rooms/house that you do not live in, will work as rabbitholes (like they did in Sims 2) but if you knock on their door and get invited in, the room/house will become open to you, as if you had knocked on the neighbors door.
But there has to be a catch, something that makes it feel a bit like an Apartment, beside the cheap rent of course, so therefor I think that you should not be able to build/change the house/room once your sims has moved in, you can still decorate, put in furniture, move them around etc, and paint the floor/walls but you can't add any walls/floors/doors etc. However, despair not! Since I think we should be able to create our own Apartments (by having doors that can be clicked on and turned into apartments door, and change the lot type to Apartment) you will be able to click the lot itself and select build/edit, should you have forgotten to place a door to the bathroom etc.
And here's the best part, since the rooms/houses you did not pick, gets turned into rabbitholes (unless you get invited in) there are no loading screens (or I really hope so)
So instead of placing example 5 houses for 5 families, you can now just place 1 Apartment lot that can have 5 families living in. Therefor a nice solution for the space issue, plus it adds something new to Sims. Plus, who knows, perhaps we will be able to have Apartment communities? Who wants to create a mall? Where different sims have their own shop on the same lot?
Tell me what you think about this idea, something I missed? Something to be improved? Just be nice about it ^^
Suggestions from others.
- Need a option to use any door as apartment doors though.
- With the ability to evict any household at any time.
- Maybe to make Sims 4 apartments different from the Sims 2 apartments, we could become the landlord. Our Sim owns the apartment building and all the sims who live there pays us the rent or something. And like in the Sims 2, we could host building parties.
- Ability to peek out who's knocking my door. so you can't see who's outside, unless you peek.
- Haunting options? haunted apartments. perhaps a little child that knocks your door, then disappears.
- Perform exorcism to drive out ghosts. You may call a Roman catholic Latina that will perform exorcism on your apartments lol
- Ability to have a rest on the balcony, watching birds while resting arms on the parapet. And perhaps: Death by falling out of the balcony.
- Window cleaners appear time to time, or even Superheroes... or can apartment be introduced when the Superheroes EP is introduced.
- When you party hard, neighbors may knock at your walls hard and all the party attenders will get the embarrassed mood.
- Clock now can moves, chimes, ring, bells, !!!!!!!
- Elevators; now you can have an animation of going down or up of elevators. People entering, awkward encounter, flirting encounter, angry encounter.
- Owning an apartment, we rent it out, and if they don't pay the rent... They get evicted
- Apartments + 64x64 + Park neighborhood = Small open world.
- Also if your neighbors were partying you could bang on the wall.
- And finally those lovely wall pull out beds!
- Malls and such like that. Using the retail system from GTW.
- Change the function of the individual units on the lot, so we could have a coffee-shop, laundrette, or retail unit on the same land.
- Common part with activities and services, as guard, parking lot, small shops or another doctor's cabinet, in the rez - of road.
- Roommate service come back.
- Owning a second home and being able to rent it out.