The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can't interact with strays

I have two separate save files at the moment, one in Riverview and one in Appaloosa Plains. On neither file are my sims able to interact with stray animals that come on their lot. All the interactions are available in the circle, and I can select one, and it will appear in the action queue, but then it immediately disappears. It doesn't matter how many times I re-reselect the action, it simply disappears from the queue. The sim doesn't, say, show they can't reach the stray or anything of that nature -- they just won't perform the action. It doesn't matter what action I try, either. The stray will hang out a while, do various things on the lot all while I can't interact with it at all, and then eventually disappear into thin air.

I realize I could probably use the Add to Household cheat when one appears on my lot if I really wanted to, but I'm more interested in getting this to work correctly since this is obviously glitching out in my game. Anyone have any ideas of a solution? I do have some mods installed, but they are all of the Nraas variety.

Any help would be appreciated!
sali_adbanner3.jpg
Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
Check out my Simlit at Sim Stories: Hijinks from the World of Sims 3!
My Simlit Discussion/Updates | The Fringe | Short Story Challenges

Comments

• AMariseSAMariseS Posts: 2,458 Member
    I checked NRaas Chatterbox to find the answer, but all I found was similar issues. I know that Register does something to fix strays, but you might try posting to Chatterbox to get specifics.
    ...Unless @igazor shows up & helps.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    Hi there. Register is really more about setting and controlling the number of strays on the roster townwide and not really about allowing or disallowing interactions with them. There have been discussions about using Retuner, a different mod, to control the length of time a stray stays on a lot before they disappear. The only time I recall seeing a report of such activity failure is when a player had outdated mods or those from another source that were conflicting or getting in the way.

But if the only mods you have in play are from NRaas, that rules out the other source thing. Are you on Patch 1.67 and are you certain that all of your NRaas mods are up to date?

Other than that, afraid all I can offer is to repeat the suggestion that you open up a thread at NRaas and let's see if other players have experienced this or have worked around it already. One of my fellow Organizers is an avid animal lover, she must have hundreds of strays in her worlds, and I predict she will not rest (or let you get any rest) until this gets solved. :)
    http://nraas.wikispaces.com/page/messages/Chatterbox
    (free registration required to post)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • mastressalitamastressalita Posts: 2,874 Member
    edited September 2015
    I got into Sims 3 so late (only this year) so I'm definitely on the "latest" version of the game, and I've only ever downloaded the "newest" Nraas mods directly from their own site. Though now that you mention it, I do recall that recently, since I added Generations only recently and loathed the new Punishment system, I had added a User-Directed Punishment mod to replace the forced autonomous punishment system (it was the one from Mod the Sims by Icarus that was linked from the Nraas page here so I figured it was safe). I'm going to still need something to disable the punishment system in my game for the particular story I'm doing, so I guess I'll have to get Returner, it's one of the few Nraas mods I don't have yet. Looking through everything, that is definitely the only non-Nraas script mod I've got in here, though, aside from a few custom careers and afterschool clubs, and as I remember, I was using those before I remember noticing this problem. I'll start by removing that and giving it an ol' cache clear, and I guess if that doesn't work, I shall check out the Chatterbox link provided. Thanks for the help!
    Post edited by mastressalita on
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Have a Sim story site? Please submit your link to the Stories and Legacies Index!
    Sure, but just to point out icarus_allsorts is essentially one of us when he isn't posting his own brilliant script mods at MTS. He has worked on quite a few updates to NRaas mods both independently and together with our lead Developer and his own mods are always compatible with ours. I have his No Scolding mod as well and my sims do not have any trouble interacting with strays.

I feel like it almost has to be something else in your game folder or something odd about the households/lots in question that is causing the dropped queue actions; hope you can narrow it down or that we can help you do so.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    edited September 2015
    I just don't understand why it would happen in two different towns with completely different save files/families if it is the households/lots. I also have a screenshot of the cat from the household in Appaloosa Plains interacting with a stray from early in August, so at least in that household, on that lot, interactions with strays *used* to work. (I don't think a stray ever showed up on my lot to try to interact with on the Riverview game until recently). And the only thing I can think of that I've added recently was the Icarus No Scolding Mod... no cc, no new lots, nothing of that sort. I'm as perplexed as the next person.

The worst part of all is since the appearance of strays is such a random event, it might be a while before one shows up again on either one of my games for "testing" purposes, heh.
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    edited September 2015
    If you have or are willing to add NRaas DebugEnabler, there is a command you can use on a residential lot's mailbox to trigger the appearance of a stray.
    NRaas > DE > Options (Mailbox) > Trigger Stray

That might help make your testing go a little faster. Or it might not work, some of those DE commands can be a little temperamental.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Thanks for the tip Igazor, I did not know about that! I'll give a try!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    As you suspected, removing that mod has not made a change in the issue. I just did a Reset Everything in MC and so far, have got my stray interactions back on one file, so I'll probably do a Reset Everything over on the other file as well, then try reintroducing that No Scolding Mod back in. Thanks for all your help, that force stray with debug enabler really sped things along nicely!
    sali_adbanner3.jpg
    Oh cool, glad you found a relatively simple solution. Hadn't thought of a total reset being needed, actually. Hope it sticks for a while, or at least until your sims get tired of stray animals. :)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!