Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Is this enough proof that The Sims 4 is a flop?

1192021222325...Next

Comments

• Options
    BoberBober Posts: 1 New Member
    In this tread a lot of people who don't know nothing about financial situation of EA, try to convict others that Sims 4 is a flop. And all this started from closing a studio that have nothing to do with Sims.

A lot of people in this thread gonna hate me because of this post, but I really wish that you can stop this effectless discussion and SimGuru can close the thread.
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Bober wrote: »
    In this tread a lot of people who don't know nothing about financial situation of EA, try to convict others that Sims 4 is a flop. And all this started from closing a studio that have nothing to do with Sims.

A lot of people in this thread gonna hate me because of this post, but I really wish that you can stop this effectless discussion and SimGuru can close the thread.

Why should it 'hurt' anyone if others think a game is a flop? That is what I will never understand. It's a game, and it either makes it for five years as the others or not. It's funny but this is the truth. TS1 went for three years because Maxis was ready to show off their new 3D engine and nothing we could do to stop that. TS2 went for four years and they were ready to show off their TS3 open world engine. Nothing we could do about that, even though we begged for more EPs and they even said they would continue to build EPs as long as there was an interest. Well, that wasn't true.

And TS3 went the longest and still going strong but it went on right up until the day they released TS4. So, financially, it might be the most successful. And no matter if people beg for TS4 to carry on for five years it won't if Maxis wants to move over to mobile and forget it. Nothing we can do about that, either. But it would seem they found a huge cash cow in TS3 or it would not have lasted more than five years.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    ebuchalaebuchala Posts: 4,945 Member
    Sigzy05 wrote: »
    I think someone actually confirmed that they were taking money away from the Sims division into other games like Titanfall and Battlefield or something.

Also Bioware is one of the most prestigious EA divisions and their games are usually THE BEST they do get money from various studios. Mass Effect and DA have become huge games/franchises. What EA doesn't learn is that Online games do not pay out and usually end up as misery franchises.

BTW still waiting on Andromeda.

As for TS4 I do see that there is a bit of less content coming out in EP's but now we have GP's and SP's and overall there is quite a lot of stuff and to me it has more quality then what TS3 offered so I'm happy about that, but I can't deny that I'm still very far from overcoming the huge lack of family gameplay, and I'll never will.

Pretty sure there was an article that mentioned the Titanfall thing. And I'm so on board with you about Andromeda. However, their ME3 MP was extremely good and probably not a bad moneymaker. I suspect it depends on the game and how the online aspect is handled. I fully expect Andromeda's online aspects to be stellar.

I think the idea that TS4 is a flop is more wishful thinking by people who'd really like to see it end so they can move onto TS5.
    Origin ID: ebuchala
    I'm not a psychopath. I'm a high-functioning psychopath. Reaper
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member
    edited January 2016
    Cinebar wrote: »

Why should it 'hurt' anyone if others think a game is a flop? That is what I will never understand. It's a game, and it either makes it for five years as the others or not. It's funny but this is the truth. TS1 went for three years because Maxis was ready to show off their new 3D engine and nothing we could do to stop that. TS2 went for four years and they were ready to show off their TS3 open world engine. Nothing we could do about that, even though we begged for more EPs and they even said they would continue to build EPs as long as there was an interest. Well, that wasn't true.

And TS3 went the longest and still going strong but it went on right up until the day they released TS4. So, financially, it might be the most successful. And no matter if people beg for TS4 to carry on for five years it won't if Maxis wants to move over to mobile and forget it. Nothing we can do about that, either. But it would seem they found a huge cash cow in TS3 or it would not have lasted more than five years.

I don't think it should really "hurt" anyone to see the game being branded as a flop but being someone who does get irritated when that kind of thing gets banded about forcefully and en masse (even with games I really don't care about) I can understand why it annoys other people.

Sure, somebody else's opinion isn't going to change how I feel about something and it never should because that is just their opinion, not mine, but when people become that insistent and when you're seeing comments like that in a considerable number of threads you're going into it really can start to get under your skin.

I know it's dumb, after all it is just a game so there's really no need to take it personally or get wound up about what is effectively just somebody else's opinion but sometimes you just get so frustrated and wound up because you're constantly seeing the same thing being forced in your face over and over again that it DOES start to bother you regardless of how trivial it really is.
  • Options
    Who's the tard that necro this old as thread?
  • Options
    DarkslayerDarkslayer Posts: 9,074 Member

If you flicked back one page you could find out instead of asking.
  • Options
    Jarsie9Jarsie9 Posts: 12,714 Member

You deserve your opinion. But so do other people. Why should the SimGurus close this thread? This thread was dead until someone came along and posted on it, and I replied to a previous post. It's still fair game. Sorry if the tone makes you unhappy, but for every unhappy thread, there are plenty of others on here which are happy ones.
    EA Marketing Department Motto:
    "We Don't Care If You LIKE The Game, Just As Long As You BUY The Game!"
    B)
    I Disapprove (Naturally)
    I Took The Pledge!
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    Give it up Jack, Sims 4 is a huge failure which is why Maxis is being merged into EA's mobile gaming division and why Lucy Bradshaw was forced out (technically she resigned) of the company. Bradshaw's departure is the most obvious clue; executives that head up successful products aren't fired, those who oversee disastrous launches are.

Uh huh.

So EA lied to investors that The Sims 4 was their biggest game then? I don't think so. NPD data also shows the Sims 4 was at a higher position in 2015, than The Sims 3 was in 2010 (the Sims 3 didn't make Top 75 yet 4 did).

You cannot lie to investors, it's company suicide.
  • Options
    jackjack_kjackjack_k Posts: 8,601 Member
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    jackjack_k wrote: »
    This thread is still alive even though the article had no idea that the Maxis studio that closed down didn't even work on The Sims?

Let it die. EA have already said internally to investors that it's doing "better than they had expected" which in all cases means it's selling more than EA need it to sell in order to gain profit.
    EA also said the Sims 4 was their main income out of all of their games, with FIFA 2nd.

If being EA's best game means it's a flop than 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Which means it's doing fine :)

The sims is in no way their best game. FIFA is way more popular. In fact all my friends play it. The only one friend who i knew loved the sims actually stopped playing a few hours after she bought the game.

Also i dont know who made you king of the threads and gave you the right to tell people what threads they should or shouldnt participate in. If people want to comment here they are in their right to do so.

Fifa is bigger but EA don't own the full rights, so it's not their biggest source of income.
    And its because the OP is an inaccurate article, and people are bumping it as if it were true.
  • Options
    Orchid13Orchid13 Posts: 8,823 Member
    @Orchid13 wrote: »
    This thread is still alive even though the article had no idea that the Maxis studio that closed down didn't even work on The Sims?

Let it die. EA have already said internally to investors that it's doing "better than they had expected" which in all cases means it's selling more than EA need it to sell in order to gain profit.
    EA also said the Sims 4 was their main income out of all of their games, with FIFA 2nd.

If being EA's best game means it's a flop than 🐸🐸🐸🐸.

Which means it's doing fine :)

The sims is in no way their best game. FIFA is way more popular. In fact all my friends play it. The only one friend who i knew loved the sims actually stopped playing a few hours after she bought the game.

Also i dont know who made you king of the threads and gave you the right to tell people what threads they should or shouldnt participate in. If people want to comment here they are in their right to do so.

Fifa is bigger but EA don't own the full rights, so it's not their biggest source of income.
    And its because the OP is an inaccurate article, and people are bumping it as if it were true.

For some ppl its true. Maybe its not a flop but its pretty mediocre.
    21mbz47.jpg
  • Options
    ParyPary Posts: 6,871 Member
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »

I bet they knew that but didn't want to miss the opportunity to call someone a tard.

Yes, because it's just so "edgy"
    :|
    Sims 3 Household Exchange - Share your households!
    PoppySims Archive
    InnaLisa Pose Archive
    Devolution of Sims - a once customisable open world sandbox which has become a DLC Party catalog in a shoebox
    I ♡ Pudding
  • Options
    PandaORosePandaORose Posts: 549 Member
    Well since, everyone just loves this thread, how 'bout I bump it up some more?

I don't consider this a flop, except that I have no desire to play this game anymore. I guess, in a way, it flopped with me, and I've been playing Sims for a long time (even TS1)! But you guys are so hilarious, I'll just stick around ;) . Don't know how long it's going to last...GT received some positive reviews and am actually surprised (slightly) that the ep looks good. However, it's not enough to bring back a burning desire to play TS4 again. Tempting, but no. This game, as well as it's creators, are such a mystery. I know that this game is still trying to hold on to what it can, but I don't see it ending anytime soon. If GT was to flop, then it would've been the end. What the devs have to do is keep some of that momentum up (what they have left) to keep Sims 4 alive. I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted all 5 years or more. As long as enough people buy their products, they will continue to make more dlc...But I don't know if there will be a Sims 5. I'm all simmed out at this point (except with TS2).
    2750512.gif~c200

• Options
    JoAnne65 wrote: »
    Darkslayer wrote: »

I bet they knew that but didn't want to miss the opportunity to call someone a tard.

Oh you *blushes*
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    Flop does not mean it wasn't well received. There have been many movies that were flops, but were very well received and vice versa.

All I'm going to say otherwise is that, personally, Kotaku has almost gotten to the point where if they told me the sky was blue, I'd have to go outside to verify it for myself. Some of the worst examples of what some may call 'journalism' I've ever seen comes from that site and their parent company.
  • Options
    friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    i do not know about this forum but on some forum that i know and am a part of if some simmers here are part of the insim website witch is a sim site for custom content they consider thread necromancy bad so do not raise the dead as thread necromancy is bad i may not be a moderator but i know by experiance
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • Options
    SoapSudsSoapSuds Posts: 1,359 Member
    The problem with that is that many forums/mods don't even know a reason why it's bad other than that it's become commonplace to consider it bad.

I think necro-ing a thread is only bad if the thread is outdated and serves no purpose for discussion. There seems to be some merit for discussion in this thread right now, so I don't see too much wrong with it.